Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:00 am 

Hey guys.

So I THINK that it was probably on this forum that I found this one youtube video probably like about 2 years ago or something. It was mentioned in one of those many threads posters have made about scary/creepy/dark songs that are not metal. I really liked the song and I'm trying to figure out who the band was and what the name of the song was so I can find the video which I am hoping is still on youtube.

What I remember about it is that the song was written in the 60s, I think the year MIGHT have been 66, if not my second guess would be 67, 3rd guess would be 68, 4th would probably be 65, 5th 69, and I pretty much doubt that the song was earlier than 65, so yeah.....maybe it will narrow it down a bit that I am almost sure it was written in either 66 or 67. (I really strongly think I remember it was 66 or 67.)

What I also remember about the song and video are that the video was black and white and seemed to be shot in a mental hospital and seemed to possibly be about mental illness, that it was a creepy but really kick ass song that was also quite heavy for the 60s.

It had the same dark-psych vibe as songs like The Electric Prunes "I Had too Much to Dream Last Night", The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black", or a bit like Bloodrock's D.O.A. even (not as much as the other two though) stuff like that is really nearly the exact same type of sound: dark, somewhat creepy psychedelic hard rock from the mid 60s.

I think there was a part of the song where a mental patient was smoking a cigarette, and the theme seemed to be about losing one's mind and it was just all these bleak black and white images of crazy people in a mental hospital.

I think one poster MIGHT have remarked that the song's title was fitting for what the song was about, but I can't be sure.

If anyone knows what this band and song might have been please help me out.

I mean even if you really don't know, if you think you might be able to give a good guess as to who the artist might have been than please do.

I do NOT think it was a well known band or song, which makes it harder, but I could be wrong.

Thanks guys.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:35 pm 

Could someone at least please take a GUESS as to what band/song/video this is?

With all the musical wizards around here (not being sarcastic either) who know their history of so many genres I am pretty sure someone on this board will be able to figure this out for me and know who this band was, and I really liked the song.

Just in case people need a TLDR version and that's why I'm not getting responses (I can be annoyingly long winded I admit...): it was a very dark hard psychedelic rock song written in the late 60s, and I am almost positive it was released in either 66 or 67, with a black and white youtube video shot in a mental hospital showing mental patients and the song may have been about mental illness. The song was quite heavy for it's time and sounded very similar to The Electric Prunes "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" and the Rolling Stones "Paint it Black", but I think the band was not well known.

Just for musical reference, this is the Electric Prunes song "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" of a very similar feel and sound, released around the same time in 1966: https://youtu.be/6QVoiT-kMRM

Thanks

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 pm 

Never mind I found it!!!

It was The Calico Wall--I'm A Living Sickness and this video:

https://youtu.be/vG235IO_V9g

The lesson I learned here is not to go searching with random key words but start putting in youtube searches for music that sounds similar and just see where it leads you.

Kinda crazy that doing that only for about 10 mins led me there as opposed to an hour last night putting in key words like "1967 dark psych mental hospital"....duh...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 am 

Case... closed?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.