Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 am 
 

darkhness wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
...as in, follow the constitution as it was written, with the exception of checks on executive power and without such bothersome things like the Bill of Rights.

Police state, here we come.

now, granted, many in the US are more than happy about this, unfortunately. Because while most people in the US do not want a police state, clearly some (like Darkhness above, unless of course he was being sarcastic) obviously do.


I seriously doubt you were concerned with "checks on executive power" when Obama was President for 8 years.

EDIT: I also think it's laughable how the majority of the people on the left are lamenting over this totally unrealistic and improbable Trump police state, but want the government dictating how they live their lives even more than it does now.



First, Trump has literal concentration camps now, genius.

Second, I am concerned about not only an impending police state, but a theocratic one, and I have no interest in the government "dictating how I live my life," pertaining to your moronic strawman argument. Pretty sure the people you're talking about don't fucking exist, so I can only imagine what stupid corners of InfoWars or your ass you pulled that shit from. Quit playing the part of the Russian bot already.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
darkhness
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 am 
 

Accusing the U.S. of having concentration camps is not only factually dishonest, but also disrespectful to what we, as a whole, have done to combat extremism and help liberate the world.

"Impending police state" You make these baseless claims, I'm really not convinced. As for your comment about these people not existing, have you seen what type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democratic party over the years?

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4052
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:37 am 
 

Sounds like somebody forgot what the word concentration means in this particular context but okay.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 am 
 

^ I'd put money the fellow doesn't even know the difference between Nazi concentration camps and death camps, of which only (iirc) Auschwitz was both.

I'm rather amused how he didn't say that calling Trump's concentration camps what they are would be disrespectful to the millions of Jews and vulnerable people affected by them during WWII, but rather just to shill for American interventionism and pointless patriotic jingoism. Something tells me darkhness hasn't done shit to help "liberate the world."
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am 
 

darkhness wrote:
Accusing the U.S. of having concentration camps is not only factually dishonest, but also disrespectful to what we, as a whole, have done to combat extremism and help liberate the world.

"Impending police state" You make these baseless claims, I'm really not convinced. As for your comment about these people not existing, have you seen what type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democratic party over the years?


What have you done to "liberate" the world?

Because I spent a year in Iraq, "liberating."

Also, explain how the US "liberating" places magically means concentration camps can't exist here. That's like saying I understand sexism and women's rights now, so I was never sexist or crude concerning women's rights, and it's disrespectful to say that to me. To be perfectly blunt, I was very bad in that regard when I was younger, and I'd like to think I've learned quite a lot about it in recent years and how I was wrong in the past. Calling me on my bullshit when I slip isn't disrespectful to me, it helps keep me in check.

In the same token, just because someone was on the right side of history once (like the Republican party ending slavery, giving women the vote, and protecting our natural resources) does not mean they get a free fucking pass for locking kids in camps now, oppressing women at every opportunity, and working overtime to violate, rape, and destroy our natural landscapes and environments.

*Yes, I am aware of the strength of the term rape in this, and do not use it lightly. When you replace a forest with a strip mine, there is really no other adequate adjective.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
darkhness
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am 
 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
darkhness wrote:
Accusing the U.S. of having concentration camps is not only factually dishonest, but also disrespectful to what we, as a whole, have done to combat extremism and help liberate the world.

"Impending police state" You make these baseless claims, I'm really not convinced. As for your comment about these people not existing, have you seen what type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democratic party over the years?


What have you done to "liberate" the world?

Because I spent a year in Iraq, "liberating."

Also, explain how the US "liberating" places magically means concentration camps can't exist here. That's like saying I understand sexism and women's rights now, so I was never sexist or crude concerning women's rights, and it's disrespectful to say that to me. To be perfectly blunt, I was very bad in that regard when I was younger, and I'd like to think I've learned quite a lot about it in recent years and how I was wrong in the past. Calling me on my bullshit when I slip isn't disrespectful to me, it helps keep me in check.

In the same token, just because someone was on the right side of history once (like the Republican party ending slavery, giving women the vote, and protecting our natural resources) does not mean they get a free fucking pass for locking kids in camps now, oppressing women at every opportunity, and working overtime to violate, rape, and destroy our natural landscapes and environments.

*Yes, I am aware of the strength of the term rape in this, and do not use it lightly. When you replace a forest with a strip mine, there is really no other adequate adjective.


I guess as a whole means me.

You were probably a POG fobbit that now has a contrarian view and loves to start a conversation with "Well, as a veteran..." I might be wrong though, who knows?

I don't care about your history of being oblivious to (and probably apathetic to) women's rights.

Top
 Profile  
lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 4:59 pm
Posts: 273
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:04 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
Accusing the U.S. of having concentration camps is not only factually dishonest, but also disrespectful to what we, as a whole, have done to combat extremism and help liberate the world.

"Impending police state" You make these baseless claims, I'm really not convinced. As for your comment about these people not existing, have you seen what type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democratic party over the years?




The U.S. have helped liberated the world but they are no angels either. As an exemple, during the WW2, there was segregation, the japanese americans were in concentration camps, the natives were treated really badly are were packed in reservations, they were doing experimentations on prisonners and patients of mental institutions and the list goes further. It was a kind of an hypocrisy that they thought they were so much better than Nazis. The situation is more complex than that and much more nuanced.

Today some of the right wings christians are hating on muslim but not because of their values even if they tried to deny it, but mainly because they don't worship the same God, don't talk the same language or have their skin darker.

----
What type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democrats? can you give us exemples?
_________________
MawBTS wrote:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:23 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:

I guess as a whole means me.

You were probably a POG fobbit that now has a contrarian view and loves to start a conversation with "Well, as a veteran..." I might be wrong though, who knows?

I don't care about your history of being oblivious to (and probably apathetic to) women's rights.



I actually don't use my veteran status for much of anything outside of saving 10% at Home Depot and my current home loan. But I will use it against internet whelps who talk tough through a face full of ignorance to blindly defend their chosen world-damaging demigod. So yeah, you are wrong. I had an easier time there than most, but the point is, I still went. Unlike your bullshit super-pussy chicken-hawk president.

I'm sorry you missed the point of my personal anecdote, but it was your choice to activate your deflector shields against reason and reality. You could always shut it off and join reality, or go back to the Incel/InfoWars/FoxNews forum where you were originally brainwashed.

By the way, you failed to properly explain my questions. How does "the good the US has done" magically negate having concentration/internment/prison camps now? You probably didn't catch my criticism of your broken logic because you were too busy missing the fucking point. One I stated in two analogies.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 12418
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
Accusing the U.S. of having concentration camps is not only factually dishonest, but also disrespectful to what we, as a whole, have done to combat extremism and help liberate the world.

Absolute horseshit. It's factually accurate, and what the US has done abroad doesn't magically change that what they're doing domestically is abhorrent.

Moreover, what the US has done abroad is mostly imperialistic grotesqueries anyway. "Liberate the world"? This reads like a fucking parody/troll post.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
darkhness
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:07 pm 
 

Lots of responses, so please, bare with me.

lost_wanderer wrote:
The U.S. have helped liberated the world but they are no angels either. As an exemple, during the WW2, there was segregation, the japanese americans were in concentration camps, the natives were treated really badly are were packed in reservations, they were doing experimentations on prisonners and patients of mental institutions and the list goes further. It was a kind of an hypocrisy that they thought they were so much better than Nazis. The situation is more complex than that and much more nuanced.

Today some of the right wings christians are hating on muslim but not because of their values even if they tried to deny it, but mainly because they don't worship the same God, don't talk the same language or have their skin darker.

----
What type of people and ideology have hijacked the Democrats? can you give us exemples?


No nation has a morally clean record when it comes to the actions it has committed. However, to imply that the U.S. wasn't so much better than the Nazis is ridiculous. Do you really think that murdering 11 million people and plunging the world into a massive war that cost millions more lives is even comparable to the war time policies of the U.S.? I understand the point you were trying to make, no country and it's history is perfect, but If a topic like this is going to be explored on a deeper than superficial level, distinctions have to be made.

Racists exist unfortunately, I'd love for that to change too.

I'll be happy to provide you a recent example. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she just won a Democratic primary. She's openly against abolishing borders, getting rid of ICE, a 15$ minimum wage, a job for everyone that's provided by the federal government, and also free housing. These are just a few of the things that shes for. A party that once had some shred of decency and morality is getting overran by Sanders' acolytes that are even more to the left than him.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I actually don't use my veteran status for much of anything outside of saving 10% at Home Depot and my current home loan. But I will use it against internet whelps who talk tough through a face full of ignorance to blindly defend their chosen world-damaging demigod. So yeah, you are wrong. I had an easier time there than most, but the point is, I still went. Unlike your bullshit super-pussy chicken-hawk president.

I'm sorry you missed the point of my personal anecdote, but it was your choice to activate your deflector shields against reason and reality. You could always shut it off and join reality, or go back to the Incel/InfoWars/FoxNews forum where you were originally brainwashed.

By the way, you failed to properly explain my questions. How does "the good the US has done" magically negate having concentration/internment/prison camps now? You probably didn't catch my criticism of your broken logic because you were too busy missing the fucking point. One I stated in two analogies.


Thank you for your service brave soldier.

Never have I said that it magically negates it. However, since we are going down this road, we are coming to a point where unlike you, I don't think there is anything wrong with following a law that was enacted by the Democrats that says children can't be with their parents when they illegally cross the border and are awaiting trial. For all I care transport them back to the Mexican authorities, with or without the parents. And riddle me this, Trump gave the left what they wanted and the children aren't being separated. However, why is that not enough? The Democrats are now calling for full release of these criminals into the U.S. side. So I ask you, were you this outraged when these things were happening during Obama's second term? Or is it just now that you're finally up in arms about it because the mid-terms are happening this year?

Top
 Profile  
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 1835
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:24 pm 
 

fwiw the Democrat law gave power to officials to separate children and adults, in case of situations of abuse or where it seemed that child trafficking was obvious, but it didn't make that the default policy, unlike what Trump did.

The new "concentration camps" themselves, yeah that was Obama's thing and similar have existed long before either president without much hubbub. They're basically refugee camps. There's nothing particularly shocking about that unless you believe that the government shouldn't have the power to detain illegal immigrants at all (which is a fair opinion to have, but equivalent in practice to endorsing unregulated immigration). It's just the typical media circus.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:

Thank you for your service brave soldier.

Never have I said that it magically negates it. However, since we are going down this road, we are coming to a point where unlike you, I don't think there is anything wrong with following a law that was enacted by the Democrats that says children can't be with their parents when they illegally cross the border and are awaiting trial. For all I care transport them back to the Mexican authorities, with or without the parents. And riddle me this, Trump gave the left what they wanted and the children aren't being separated. However, why is that not enough? The Democrats are now calling for full release of these criminals into the U.S. side. So I ask you, were you this outraged when these things were happening during Obama's second term? Or is it just now that you're finally up in arms about it because the mid-terms are happening this year?


Spare me your fake patriotism bullshit rhetoric. If you really want to thank me, you'll actually respect this country, and not blindly support people like Trump who only want to burn it to the ground.

On the other points, if you care even one iota about humanity in general (and let's skip the jokes about how humans are all bad, etc., we're talking about people's lives), then you should very much care about if children are separated from their parents and put in camps. I know it's a Trumpian element to completely lack understanding of the concept of empathy, but surely there must be a relative or friend or neighbor or something with children where you can imagine them trying to flee a horror show only to wind up in a completely different one for absolutely no reason. Indeed, I linked an article a page before about why they're coming to the US, despite rampant Republican racism targeting them and stopping just short of steam-shoveling them into fucking ovens. Granted, 1500 children were still just fucking lost with no idea where they are.

This is basic human morality. Do these lives matter? I understand they're outside of your Monkeysphere, so you might not see them as humans, but at least fucking try. Do you have the same attitude towards children who are raped or molested or beaten or tortured to death?

You call them all criminals, which is only something you could do if you are either A) fucking braindead, B) cheerily swallowing Trump's taint sweat without thinking, or C) racist as as a fucking KKK rally. I happen to be a fan of statistics and reality, and the reality is that immigrants commit far fewer crimes than actual American citizens. That is a fact researched time and time again.

Beyond that, you are working from frankly false information, and the idea that you didn't bother to research it paints quite a robust picture of how you operate. Nothing you said about the "democrat's law" or "pre-existing separation law" or anything in that regard is accurate. No less than Snopes has fucking debunked that, complete with resources.

The fact is, Trump (with Sessions) made this policy, they blamed the Democrats because shifting blame is literally how Trump always works, and then tried to pretend to be heroes. That is patently and provably a lie told by Trump, and notably false by any and all standards.

Fuck, how brainwashed and deliberately blind does someone have to be?

HERE IS YOUR FUCKING DEMIGOD'S VISAGE PAINTED ON THE WALL OF ONE OF THOSE CAMPS.

Image

Keep pretending the Democrats did this when Trump happily emblazoned his image right fucking there. If you look at Trump, and you see yourself in Trump, and you think he is what you want for America, and you voted for him as a representative for you, then until you denounce him, you are saying your values are those of liars, thieves, charlatans, greed, and racism. You support taking rights from women, gays, and minorities. You support spending more money just to be more racist (because immigrants and refugees actually benefit the economy to the tune of literal billions of dollars which I linked the page prior. That these are your "values," or you would not have wanted Trump to represent you in the government. This is the America you want. An America propped up by liars and bigots. Where freedom is cast aside in favor of authoritarianism. Where groupthink is preferable to a variety of views and ideas, regardless of how bad the groupthink is. Where blaming others is preferable. Where those with the money are allowed to break the backs of the poor to have their money. Where capitalism is crushed beneath cronyism.

These are your fucking values if you support Trump. You literally cannot pretend to be a good person if these are your values.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
darkhness
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:34 pm 
 

I'll check back into this thread in 24 hours and respond only after you've calmed down. Thanks, and thank you for your service again!

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7751
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm 
 

The only reason one needs to be against the separation of children from their parents at the border is the fact that doing so is proven to be mentally scarring for the former. Ripping toddlers from their mother's arms and keeping them locked up in cages with no way to establish contact with each other is basically state-sanctioned child abuse, and a gross offense against human rights. We are talking about really, really young children here, such as pre-schoolers and babies. Who is taking care of these children? Feeding them when they're hungry, holding them when they cry, etc? You people know that a baby can just outright fucking die if it doesn't receive enough physical contact, right? Or how about medical conditions? Surely, some of these children might suffer from asthma, allergies, require medications or have special needs; who is keeping track of all that and supplying those needs? Hmmm?

And if you argue that these people are criminals, well, 1) they're children, they didn't cross the border out of their own volition, 2) crossing the US border illegally is classified as a misdemeanor, so you might as well kidnap and cage the children of people who get drunk in public or smoke in non-smoking areas, and 3) you are probably a sociopath and this entire comment was pointless.
darkhness wrote:
I'll check back into this thread in 24 hours and respond only after you've calmed down. Thanks, and thank you for your service again!

Witless, gutless coward.
_________________
Napero wrote:
(...) Bolt Thrower is to the soul what coffee is to the earthly shell.

Top
 Profile  
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 1835
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Ripping toddlers from their mother's arms and keeping them locked up in cages with no way to establish contact with each other is basically state-sanctioned child abuse, and a gross offense against human rights. We are talking about really, really young children here, such as pre-schoolers and babies. Who is taking care of these children? Feeding them when they're hungry, holding them when they cry, etc? You people know that a baby can just outright fucking die if it doesn't receive enough physical contact, right? Or how about medical conditions? Surely, some of these children might suffer from asthma, allergies, require medications or have special needs; who is keeping track of all that and supplying those needs? Hmmm?


Spoiler: show
Quote:
“Nobody knows what to do,” Ms. Frankel said, explaining that her colleagues have been charged with caring for “a number of infants,” including some as young as 8 and 10 months. Many of the children are too young to speak, Ms. Frankel said. Without knowing where or even who the parents are, Ms. Frankel’s colleagues have struggled to advocate for the children.

Ms. Frankel said that contract workers were well trained and doing their best to help but that the youngest children are struggling even more than older ones because they cannot understand what is happening. “The young kids think that their parents have abandoned them, or that something very bad has happened to them,” she said.

“They’re in crisis. They’re just crying uncontrollably,” she said. “We’ve seen young kids having panic attacks, they can’t sleep, they’re wetting the bed. They regress developmentally, where they may have been verbal but now they can no longer talk.”

Since the administration’s policy became public, doctors and child welfare experts have spoken out about the potential health implications of separation, citing an increased risk for children of anxiety and depression, as well as post-traumatic stress and attention-deficit disorder.

...

Representatives of the Health and Human Services Department, which cares for the children, did not respond to requests for data on Wednesday on the number of tender-age children in custody. But Ms. Frankel said that her organization had been informed that government facilities were at capacity.

“They are placing the children wherever there is an available bed,” she said. Some are being flown thousands of miles away from their parents.

Ms. Frankel said most of the youngest children were being placed overnight in temporary foster homes, and then transported during the day to government facilities for case management and other services. Children who were old enough were going to school during the day, she said, while the babies are kept together in rooms where they are cared for by contract workers.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/t ... ation.html

Obviously separation isn't healthy for children, but it's not like they're being thrown into empty cages and left to fend for themselves. Child protective services regularly separate children from parents as well, and that can do damage as well, but sometimes that's a necessity. Putting aside those children who were separated as part of a political ploy by Trump, what is the solution for children otherwise? The camps themselves are the same that have existed for decades. The holding of unaccompanied minors by the government is something that has existed for decades.

Xlxlx wrote:
And if you argue that these people are criminals, well, 1) they're children, they didn't cross the border out of their own volition


They're not being held in prisons pending criminal charges, they're being held by the HHS pending identification of legal guardians. Their parents are being held while charged with a crime.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she just won a Democratic primary. She's openly against abolishing borders, getting rid of ICE, a 15$ minimum wage, a job for everyone that's provided by the federal government, and also free housing. These are just a few of the things that shes for. A party that once had some shred of decency and morality is getting overran by Sanders' acolytes that are even more to the left than him.

Yeah, what's more decadent and immoral than a wide-eyed ideologue whose main goal is to remove corporate money from politics and improve the quality of life for everyone who makes less than $100k a year? Dude, you cannot be even remotely serious. Argue the feasibility till you're blue in the face, but saying she lacks decency is just fucking moronic.

Wait, holy shit y'all, darkhness is 38!!?!
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1288
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
I'll check back into this thread in 24 hours and respond only after you've calmed down. Thanks, and thank you for your service again!


The idea that people need to remain calm in the face of barbarity is an utterly loathsome one.
_________________
Reviews from The Sepulchre! Latest: Satan's Hallow - S/T

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7751
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Ripping toddlers from their mother's arms and keeping them locked up in cages with no way to establish contact with each other is basically state-sanctioned child abuse, and a gross offense against human rights. We are talking about really, really young children here, such as pre-schoolers and babies. Who is taking care of these children? Feeding them when they're hungry, holding them when they cry, etc? You people know that a baby can just outright fucking die if it doesn't receive enough physical contact, right? Or how about medical conditions? Surely, some of these children might suffer from asthma, allergies, require medications or have special needs; who is keeping track of all that and supplying those needs? Hmmm?


Spoiler: show
Quote:
“Nobody knows what to do,” Ms. Frankel said, explaining that her colleagues have been charged with caring for “a number of infants,” including some as young as 8 and 10 months. Many of the children are too young to speak, Ms. Frankel said. Without knowing where or even who the parents are, Ms. Frankel’s colleagues have struggled to advocate for the children.

Ms. Frankel said that contract workers were well trained and doing their best to help but that the youngest children are struggling even more than older ones because they cannot understand what is happening. “The young kids think that their parents have abandoned them, or that something very bad has happened to them,” she said.

“They’re in crisis. They’re just crying uncontrollably,” she said. “We’ve seen young kids having panic attacks, they can’t sleep, they’re wetting the bed. They regress developmentally, where they may have been verbal but now they can no longer talk.”

Since the administration’s policy became public, doctors and child welfare experts have spoken out about the potential health implications of separation, citing an increased risk for children of anxiety and depression, as well as post-traumatic stress and attention-deficit disorder.

...

Representatives of the Health and Human Services Department, which cares for the children, did not respond to requests for data on Wednesday on the number of tender-age children in custody. But Ms. Frankel said that her organization had been informed that government facilities were at capacity.

“They are placing the children wherever there is an available bed,” she said. Some are being flown thousands of miles away from their parents.

Ms. Frankel said most of the youngest children were being placed overnight in temporary foster homes, and then transported during the day to government facilities for case management and other services. Children who were old enough were going to school during the day, she said, while the babies are kept together in rooms where they are cared for by contract workers.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/t ... ation.html

Obviously separation isn't healthy for children, but it's not like they're being thrown into empty cages and left to fend for themselves. Child protective services regularly separate children from parents as well, and that can do damage as well, but sometimes that's a necessity. Putting aside those children who were separated as part of a political ploy by Trump, what is the solution for children otherwise? The camps themselves are the same that have existed for decades. The holding of unaccompanied minors by the government is something that has existed for decades.

I never said that separating children from their parents in general is a universally bad move. I said that within the context of the separations happening as we speak at the US border. Of course it's a logical thing to remove children from abusive households and the like, but this is clearly not the case here. It almost looks like you deliberately cut out the "at the border" part of my statement.
Quote:
Xlxlx wrote:
And if you argue that these people are criminals, well, 1) they're children, they didn't cross the border out of their own volition

They're not being held in prisons pending criminal charges, they're being held by the HHS pending identification of legal guardians. Their parents are being held while charged with a crime.

You should tell that to all the right wingers calling every single sapient creature crossing the border a criminal. And the fact that the parents are the ones being held like prisoners for a misdemeanor isn't any less ridiculous or tyrannical. As I said, might as well abduct the children of people who get charged with public intoxication.
_________________
Napero wrote:
(...) Bolt Thrower is to the soul what coffee is to the earthly shell.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
Thanks, and thank you for your service again!



Your sarcastic, piss-ant tone is very much the anti-solider, anti-veteran mentality of the modern Republican party. You chickenhawks are all the same. Tough talk, a public support of the military, while crushing the people in service beneath your shoes whenever you can, while desperate to hide what a sniveling coward you really are.

Thanks for proving you're a troll.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 pm 
 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
The camps themselves are the same that have existed for decades. The holding of unaccompanied minors by the government is something that has existed for decades.

Xlxlx wrote:
And if you argue that these people are criminals, well, 1) they're children, they didn't cross the border out of their own volition


They're not being held in prisons pending criminal charges, they're being held by the HHS pending identification of legal guardians. Their parents are being held while charged with a crime.


The camps are not the same. They have clearly reported building more. Funny how it took Trump in office to turn Alex Jones' "FEMA camps" conspiracy theory into something real. Isn't that just super hilarious? So these have not really existed for decades. This is a new horror. From Trump.

Also, to try to compare this to Child Protective Services as "holding unaccompanied minors has existed for decades" is ludicrous. Taking a child away from meth-mommy is not remotely the same as taking them away from someone desperate to give them a better life--and then not fucking tell anyone where that child is or if they'll get them back. Even CPS has to follow the law and inform the parents of consequences. Come on, man.

Also, for the last part, of their parents being held for charges, I'm sure you'll be super happy to know Trump is looking to ax due process in this. Keep that plunger handy, we're stuffing so much democracy down the drain, it's clogged.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 4275
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:14 pm 
 

Putin has set a date and location for Trump's annual performance review. Helsinki, next month.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... d-by-putin
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 6564
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:17 pm 
 

Hopefully the two world leaders will see eye to eye and not allow conspiracy theories which have sadly gone mainstream to goad them into leading our two nations into unnecessary conflict.
_________________
"American history can only accurately be described as the story of demonic possession, however you choose to understand that phrase."

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1153
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 pm 
 

darkhness wrote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she just won a Democratic primary. She's openly against abolishing borders, getting rid of ICE, a 15$ minimum wage, a job for everyone that's provided by the federal government, and also free housing. These are just a few of the things that shes for. A party that once had some shred of decency and morality is getting overran by Sanders' acolytes that are even more to the left than him.

What shreds of decency are you talking about? Hillary and Bill willfully, maybe even gleefully, imposing harsher sentencing on minor offenders based on their geographical location (and, thusly, their race)? The "morality" of being against the Civil Rights Movement? "Don't ask, don't tell" instead of "grow the fuck up and do your fucking job"?

Son, the morality and decency didn't start becoming a real fixture until the likes of Bernie went mainstream.

Bonus! What if I told you that Sanders isn't even that far left, and that the Democratic party has been center-right for most of its existence?

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, what's more decadent and immoral than a wide-eyed ideologue whose main goal is to remove corporate money from politics and improve the quality of life for everyone who makes less than $100k a year? Dude, you cannot be even remotely serious. Argue the feasibility till you're blue in the face, but saying she lacks decency is just fucking moronic.

Well, that would mean holding alleged job creators responsible for creating jobs that pay livable wages! That would mean admitting the Reaganomic ideals of wealth distribution via top-down slopes has never fucking worked! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
Quote:
Wait, holy shit y'all, darkhness is 38!!?!

Only because of the 37 before him.
_________________
darkeningday wrote:
Everyone knows the Easter Bunny died for our sins when he was chopped up into little pieces so Judas Priest could feed the 5000 animals in the Ark.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 am 
 

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant she was in favor of abolishing the southern US border, but that statement is just as bewildering because I can't ever remember her saying or even implying anything like that. It honestly sounds like he read the clickbait headline from a Fox or Breitbart article and declared himself an expert.

Ironically, Alexandria's biggest pull is that she takes a hardline stance on an issue Trump built his campaign on (only to abandon it once he won, like anyone with half a brain knew he would): that of "draining the swamp" in Washington, kicking out the aristocracy and installing people who actually represent the people. But because she identifies as left she's gotta be a degenerate snowflake cuck desperate to appease the new world order, amiright?
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:34 pm 
 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... rmula.html

Absolutely fucking disgusting of our healthcare system.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 12418
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm 
 

nestee8 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5896977/Hospital-charged-parents-18-000-babys-nap-bottle-formula.html

Absolutely fucking disgusting of our healthcare system.

Yup it's insane. Here's a non-Daily Mail link with the original reporting: https://www.vox.com/2018/6/28/17506232/ ... rance-baby
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:06 pm 
 

Gotta love the idiots on the bodybuilding.com Misc forums (which I used to be a member of) talking about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... =175907281

Top
 Profile  
lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 4:59 pm
Posts: 273
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 pm 
 

nestee8 wrote:
Gotta love the idiots on the bodybuilding.com Misc forums (which I used to be a member of) talking about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... =175907281



I browse a little bit through the comments until I read ''god emperor trump''. I stopped there. lol
_________________
MawBTS wrote:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:51 pm 
 

Still more stomachable than fucking anything on the_donald :puke:
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 12418
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:57 pm 
 

Yeah, let's not worry about/start linking other sites or whatever, please.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 pm 
 

I dunno, I heard Stormfront said something racist.

Anyway, AOC's win was still one of the most unprecedented in recent American history, not least because of the label she's willing to put on herself, especially in this climate. It's truly heartwarming to see so many Americans embrace an out-and-out, openly self-described

_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
I dunno, I heard Stormfront said something racist.

Anyway, AOC's win was still one of the most unprecedented in recent American history, not least because of the label she's willing to put on herself, especially in this climate. It's truly heartwarming to see so many Americans embrace an out-and-out, openly self-described



Did you see the footage of Sean Hannity talking about her and her policies? Was absolute gold, just the fact of how ignorant he is WHILE showing the things that most Americans want.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 4275
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:

Anyway, AOC's win was still one of the most unprecedented in recent American history, not least because of the label she's willing to put on herself, especially in this climate. It's truly heartwarming to see so many Americans embrace


Turnout in her district was 13%, and she got a bit less than 3/5th's of that. In other words, only about 7.5% of her party voted for her. That's it. That race is the latest addition to a now-bulging bag of evidence that "we need hardcore leftists to run or else young people won't be enthused" is white-hot garbage as a theory of Democrat voting behavior.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:53 pm 
 

Earthcubed wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Anyway, AOC's win was still one of the most unprecedented in recent American history, not least because of the label she's willing to put on herself, especially in this climate. It's truly heartwarming to see so many Americans embrace


Turnout in her district was 13%, and she got a bit less than 3/5th's of that. In other words, only about 7.5% of her party voted for her. That's it. That race is the latest addition to a now-bulging bag of evidence that "we need hardcore leftists to run or else young people won't be enthused" is white-hot garbage as a theory of Democrat voting behavior.

2016 and 2014 didn't even have primaries for either party in NY-14, and the republican was uncontested this year too. The fact 28K people even showed up to vote and 16 of them went out of their way to vote for a person who had less than 10% of the campaign budget isn't something to scoff at. It's not anything to excitedly rally behind as a nation, but dismissing it as purely a statistical aberration is just as disingenuous.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 4275
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 am 
 

Even if turnout was triple what it was and she still won it wouldn't be a national rallying cry. As our junior senator from Illinois just pointed out, what works in NYC is not going to work in the Midwest. "Let's paint the country the proper shade of red" won't fly in most of the country. Thankfully, AOC has been calculating enough to note this in interviews.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 am 
 

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/us-tra ... ls-allies/

Trump's tariffs are going to fuck up our economy, mark my words.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 7854
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:52 pm 
 

They're gonna fuck up the economy more than it already will be thanks to his absurd tax bill.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:07 pm 
 

nestee8 wrote:
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/us-trade-partners-fed-trumps-games-looking-cut-deals-allies/

Trump's tariffs are going to fuck up our economy, mark my words.



Oh, it gets better folks: Trump wants to undermine the entire World Trade Organization.

Quote:
"It would be the equivalent of walking away from the WTO and our commitments there without us actually notifying our withdrawal," said a source familiar with the bill.

"The good news is Congress would never give this authority to the president," the source added, describing the bill as "insane."
"It's not implementable at the border," given it would create potentially tens of thousands of new tariff rates on products. "And it would completely remove us from the set of global trade rules."
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm 
 

Earthcubed wrote:
what works in NYC is not going to work in the Midwest.

I mean... yes? Was this ever in question? The point isn't that Democratic Socialism will have pull in the Midwest, it's that it has any pull at all anywhere in the entire US. Baby steps and all.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:24 pm 
 

And what do you know, people are lobbying for Trump's SCOTUS picks.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ?ocid=iehp

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 92  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Drihten, Thiestru and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group