Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 am 

So apparently Trump made a tweet saying he could kick Biden's ass.

Honestly I almost just want to give up and just let nature take its course. I don't think life is real.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 am 

Cynical wrote:
The rule of law in general is intimidation and threats of force. "Follow the rules, or dudes with weapons will take your property, your freedom, or your life" -- that's the basis for every code of law ever.

And? What does this have to do with suppressing basic rights?

Cynical wrote:
calling it a "basic right" is insane

No it's not. Women having full control over their bodies is absolutely a basic right.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Cynical wrote:
The rule of law in general is intimidation and threats of force. "Follow the rules, or dudes with weapons will take your property, your freedom, or your life" -- that's the basis for every code of law ever.

And? What does this have to do with suppressing basic rights?

Cynical wrote:
calling it a "basic right" is insane

No it's not. Women having full control over their bodies is absolutely a basic right.

Everyone should have full control of their bodies. However that's not what the argument has ever been about as it's whether or not the fetus is considered human or if it has rights and stuff.

How many people have legit said that women can't have abortions because women should have no control of their bodies, rather than the fetus needing the body itself?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:06 am 

The fetus doesn't get to have a say on whether it exists or not, because a fertilized egg/a clump of cells isn't a person. The actual human being with rights is the one carrying it. Just like a person can decide to have a pregnancy, they should be able to decide whether they wish to terminate it. Applying a "no backsies" rule to human reproduction is myopic at best, and actively dangerous at worst.

I am also afraid that the argument is about bodily autonomy at the end of it all, because telling someone that they can't do x with their own bodies denies them said fullness of autonomy, thus infringing on a basic human right. How the fetus got there isn't relevant; whether the woman wished to become pregnant and then came to regret it, contraception malfunctioned or sexual assault was involved does not matter. A person's body is their most absolute and indisputable possession, and if they wish to take something out of it, whether the thing in question is alive or not, is a moot point.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 am 

I support abortion but I think the fact so many people feel queasy about non-medical 3rd trimester abortions should make it obvious that it's clearly more complicated than simply one person's control over their own body. If that was all that abortion debates encompassed you'd see similarly heated rhetoric about, say, appendectomies. Nobody weighs the moral, social, economic, or religious implications of appendectomies.

darkeningday wrote:
You've swapped your dog whistle for a referee whistle. If more cryptos would wear their cipher on their sleeve, the world would be in much better condition. Is this a sign of things to come? Perhaps.

So from the bottom of my heart: thank you.

He was an ANUSite for years, so "crypto" is perhaps a bit generous.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 am 

Sorry to interrupt what appears to be a really fun conversation on abortion, but here's the latest in Trumptopia (it's like a dystopia, but embarrassing)--

Trump's lead lawyer calls it quits as Trump gets aggressive like the guilty asshole he is. Indeed, it wasn't just a member of his team of lawyers, it was the head lawyer.

Quote:
John Dowd resigned on Thursday as President Trump’s lead lawyer for the special counsel investigation as Mr. Trump signaled that he was prepared to ignore his advice and wanted a sit-down with investigators.

After days of uncertainty among the president’s lawyers about their status, Mr. Dowd ultimately broke with Mr. Trump over whether he should agree to be questioned in the inquiry, a person briefed on the matter said.

---

Now, as he weighs whether to be interviewed by Mr. Mueller, the president will be advised by a cadre of lawyers better known for their television and advocacy work than their courtroom triumphs.

This week, the president hired Joseph E. diGenova, a longtime Washington lawyer who has pushed the theory on Fox News that the F.B.I. and Justice Department framed Mr. Trump.

But wait, there's more, because there always fucking is ha ha ha!

HR McMaster is resigning as National Security Advisor.

Quote:
National security adviser Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster is leaving the Trump administration, the president announced on Twitter Thursday evening. "I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job & will always remain my friend," the president wrote. Trump also said former Ambassador John Bolton will replace McMaster in a change that takes effect April 9.

The planned change at the top of the country's national security infrastructure comes after McMaster had an unsettled tenure inside a White House that recently has been expelling its top officials like a deflating balloon.

In case you're keeping track (lots of places are, with The Daily Show keeping a "Celebrity Appresident" scorecard), the Trump administration has higher turnover at 13.5 months than the previous 4 administrations had in their first two years. We're barely into the second year of this fucking disaster so far. With any luck, this next year will see Trump and Pence also dragged out of it.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 am 

Morrigan wrote:

This is nonsense. No one calls governments fascist for outlawing drugs or prostitution. Furthermore, taken to an extreme, this would mean that we could have nearly no laws without violating basic rights, since nearly every law bans you taking an action -- that is, doing a thing with your body.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:47 pm 

Uh... nobody argues that no laws should exist, but when laws are passed to criminalize actions which have no negative effect on others -- that is the textbook definition of authoritarianism.

Edit: My 666th post... that's rather fitting.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:54 pm 

So every nation that outlaws drugs or prostitution is fascist? Do you guys realize you're making the word lose all meaning by tossing it around like that?

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm 

Not fascist, but authoritarian. How is it not? What gives any government the right to prevent people from doing things that don't harm others?

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm 

Having control over our own body is not the same thing as trying to gain control to another body.

There's a difference in approach between a fascist regime and a modern democracy when it come to deeling with drugs and prostitution. In some democracies, they will try to legalise or at least decriminalise the use of some type of drugs. In a fascist regime, the punition will be more radical and can lead to being executed for drug consumtion.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm 

Get him out of here

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm 

Oh my god, is Cynical a Trump supporter now? Is Falco too? This is rich.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
In a fascist regime, the punition will be more radical and can lead to being executed for drug consumtion.

That's exactly right, and Trump is pushing to execute drug dealers and women who have abortions :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Everyone should have full control of their bodies. However that's not what the argument has ever been about as it's whether or not the fetus is considered human or if it has rights and stuff.

That's just a deflection. Republicans love to pretend they care about the fetuses, but we know they don't. They don't care about maternity leave, prenatal care, women's healthcare, or hell anything that helps children once they're born. They oppose Planned Parenthood even though the majority of the care offered by PP aren't even abortion-related.

Quote:
How many people have legit said that women can't have abortions because women should have no control of their bodies, rather than the fetus needing the body itself?

Just because they don't say it outright doesn't mean that's not what this is about. Ever heard of dog-whistling?

In any case, forcing a woman to keep a pregnancy or worse, to give birth, is inherently immoral and misogynistic as fuck.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Not fascist, but authoritarian. How is it not? What gives any government the right to prevent people from doing things that don't harm others?

If you read the post that I originally quoted, he said "fascist". Of course it's authoritarian, every government ever is authoritarian by definition.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:52 pm 

That was me. I said fascism, then I corrected myself. And not every government is authoritarian, just the vast majority of them are.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

Why is it surprising ANUSholes are Trumples? Aren't they one of his core demographics?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 am 

For a long time they positioned themselves as another one of those "third way" groups. Neither left nor right, neither conservative nor liberal, a different kind of reactionary, etc. Like other such groups they have ended up folding back into the mainstream and became just more regular conservatives. I believe they eventually realized that their ostensibly very different kind of politics was not all that different from the republican party platform, at least not in any way where they couldn't be happily melded.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:52 pm 

Yesterday, I went to that site. It has been a long time since the last time I went there. It definitely took a turn for the worst, if that was still possible. With a extreme right racist christian nutter who thinks he a modern Templar writing discusting articles, mingling vile religious nonsense, facist politic and music. Even some of the anciens writers and longtime comment posters who are mainly on the far right (more in line with Varg V.) say he's a fucking lunatic.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 am 

I highly encourage everyone to read this article. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... red-217699

Choice excerpts:

Quote:
Mattis ignored McMaster’s requests for military options that would have allowed the U.S. to strike Eastern Gouta, in Syria, as well as requests to see plans on North Korea, and two requests for options to strike Iran.

Quote:
White House aides say Trump is cowed and intimidated by Mattis

Quote:
Mattis told Trump he disagreed with his views on torture — Trump had said he was strongly in favor of it — and, by the time the meeting ended, he seemed to have chastened the soon-to-be commander in chief.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:00 pm 

You mean, to make an overgrown buffoon of a spoiled brat listen, all you need to do is act like a fucking adult?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:45 pm 

So, that episode of 60 minutes with Stormy Daniels is going on air tonight. Her lawyers are saying that they got proof of this, and other information that can lead to something shitty happening to the president. What are your thoughts on this? Personally I'm not so sure, with all these fuckups this idiot have made with no repercussionss taken into account. But they are really setting up something though, I'll give them that, by not releasing any promos etc beforehand.I guess all we can do is wait and see? And possibly cross our fingers along the way? Maybe this isn't just hype?

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 pm 

His base is going to want to high-five him, not impeach him. Unless she fucks him with a strap-on, because that would be gay.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:45 pm 

In less titillating but still meaningful news, the new spending bill may be a bit of a boon for Democratic Senators whose seats are vulnerable this year. Manchin of West Virginia, Tester of Montana, Heitkamp of North Dakota, and Donnelly of Indiana are all touting various parts of the bill that are important to their constituents as personal victories-- for example, Tester's using the bill's natural disaster funds to shore up support in a state that was decimated by wildfires in 2017, and Heitkamp is milking publicity out of provisions she wrote that will benefit North Dakotans in particular. These four are facing tough races-- Heitkamp and Donnelly especially-- and as it stands it's still looking like the Democrats can at best hope to hold steady in the Senate and should probably brace to lose one or two seats there, even though as a whole the year is looking like a pretty bad one for Trump and the Republicans. Hopefully the bill helps the four most vulnerable Democrats in the Senate hold onto their seats to avoid widening the Republican advantage there.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm 

[Failsafeman wrote:
His base is going to want to high-five him, not impeach him. Unless she fucks him with a strap-on, because that would be gay.

You're probably spot on. let's hope it's strap on, than! Or that he was all dressed up in woman clothes or something! That'd be hilarious! But, it's probably more boring than we think and probably not as dramatic as the lawyers want us to believe.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:10 pm 

Of course nothing will come of this. Ms. Daniels was an adult when the affair took place, and she is not claiming anything that happened was non-consensual. So I don't see how it could hurt Trump. History has shown that being a gross old lecher is not a disqualification for being president, right Bill Clinton?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 pm 

The problem is that trying to appeal to moral outrage won't do shit because the moral crusaders of the country have already shown that they're willing to overlook anything unethical he does either personally or professionally, and the people on the left are mostly outraged by the hypocrisy because they feel like the right would crucify anybody on the left who did the same thing. The only real issue from this whole thing is whether or not the money used to buy her silence came from his campaign funds or not, and even if they were it wouldn't end up hurting him anyway because refer to my first sentence.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I highly encourage everyone to read this article. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... red-217699

Choice excerpts:
Quote:
White House aides say Trump is cowed and intimidated by Mattis

Considering how much the right loves throwing around "cuck" these days, someone ought to meme that into "Trump is cucked by Mattis."
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:05 am 

:lol: ^truth

BastardHead wrote:
The problem is that trying to appeal to moral outrage won't do shit because the moral crusaders of the country have already shown that they're willing to overlook anything unethical he does either personally or professionally

Somebody ask Tony Perkins if "postpartum infidelity with two pornstars in one weekend" is a clause covered by the Gospel of Mulligangelicalism.

Actually, don't, we already know the answer.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am 

They'll just say "we knew he was a lout when we voted for him, but he's going to push the right agenda." Because that's what they said when the whole pussy-grabbing thing happened.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 am 

It turns out that you guys, and my assumptions were right! This was literally nothing! Some vague death threat from an unknown man isn't shit. All hype, as expected.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Of course nothing will come of this. Ms. Daniels was an adult when the affair took place, and she is not claiming anything that happened was non-consensual. So I don't see how it could hurt Trump. History has shown that being a gross old lecher is not a disqualification for being president, right Bill Clinton?

The issue here though is Trump both denying it and the 100K payout to silence her.

I saw an excerpt from an article hilariously saying that she was accomplishing what Mueller hasn't yet--essentially dragging Trump down. It's that Trump is clearly trying to hide something that could harm him. I know, it's a long shot, Trump really is the new Teflon Don.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 am 

failsafeman wrote:
They'll just say "we knew he was a lout when we voted for him, but he's going to push the right agenda." Because that's what they said when the whole pussy-grabbing thing happened.

One good thing coming out of this is that the Evangelicals are having their shiny "moral majority" veneer handily washed away. They are neither moral, nor the majority. I'm happy to see so many people finally pissed at them. Not only will it finally, hopefully, inspire people to tear away from the religious right, but away from religion in general. Not to forget that each new tragedy further erodes the mentality of "thoughts and prayers," which was long considered a slur by the irreligious, but is now considered a grossly cruel and useless statement by the bulk of the country.

"Thoughts and prayers" and Trump are quickly eroding the religious right's power in this country. While they are stupidly slow in denouncing Trump, in time, it may not matter much anyway. Evangelicals are increasingly seen as both obsolete, insulting, hypocritical, and cruel.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:51 pm 

Svarthavid wrote:
It turns out that you guys, and my assumptions were right! This was literally nothing! Some vague death threat from an unknown man isn't shit. All hype, as expected.

If it can be proven at all that the threat came from somebody on Shitbag's behalf then it can only add to charges against him.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

One good thing coming out of this is that the Evangelicals are having their shiny "moral majority" veneer handily washed away. They are neither moral, nor the majority. I'm happy to see so many people finally pissed at them. Not only will it finally, hopefully, inspire people to tear away from the religious right, but away from religion in general. Not to forget that each new tragedy further erodes the mentality of "thoughts and prayers," which was long considered a slur by the irreligious, but is now considered a grossly cruel and useless statement by the bulk of the country.

I'm doubtful that is true. As this neat iPolitics article puts it, the "religious right" don't see anything inherently incompatible about supporting politicians like Trump, since politicians like him enable their interests. And, history has had many examples of morally-flawed secular leaders that have been praised by people of faith solely on the fact that such leaders helped enable and spread the faith. In this way, the Evangelicals are able to have their "moral majority" cake and eat it too.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:34 pm 

Weirdly, it turns out that religious fundamentalists are good at twisting logic into knots to justify themselves.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm 

Yeah, it's almost like they have some experience re-interpreting things and manipulating people!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:16 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I'm doubtful that is true. As this neat iPolitics article puts it, the "religious right" don't see anything inherently incompatible about supporting politicians like Trump, since politicians like him enable their interests. And, history has had many examples of morally-flawed secular leaders that have been praised by people of faith solely on the fact that such leaders helped enable and spread the faith. In this way, the Evangelicals are able to have their "moral majority" cake and eat it too.

Pulling people away from the movement may not be super fast, but it will keep people on the outside from joining. Yes, evangelicals don't see anything wrong with how they do things, but everyone else does, and that will, hopefully, make it that much harder for people to willingly join that. On the other hand, while people are frequently good at justifying clinging to broken beliefs and views, not everyone can do that forever.

I might be biased in my view, also. From where I stand, I don't have pretty much anyone in my life defending the way evangelicals behave and justify bullshit. On a societal level, everyone around me is fully disgusted with the way evangelicals operate.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The issue here though is Trump both denying it and the 100K payout to silence her.

I saw an excerpt from an article hilariously saying that she was accomplishing what Mueller hasn't yet--essentially dragging Trump down. It's that Trump is clearly trying to hide something that could harm him. I know, it's a long shot, Trump really is the new Teflon Don.

Another problem there: anything Daniels does to prove her story, starts her at a legal disadvantage. She signed* an agreement to keep quiet. She is currently in breech of that contract, which means Trump is within his rights to sue the woman into absolute ruin. Is she willing to take that hit, when its recoil against Trump is not as certain? (BastardHead brought up the interesting chance that the payoff to Daniels came - illegally! - from the campaign finances; but this is a guy who pumped $66M of his own funds into the campaign, so it seems doubtful to me that he'd not just dip into his own pocket again for a piddly 100K).

*I think it's safe to assume there is an actual signed document, since this is not the type of behaviour - from either side - that lends itself well to taking each other at their word.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 227  Next