Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 pm 

So, the Senate voted in favor of net neutrality 52/47. The next vote is in the house. Idk what's gonna be more dangerous at this point, small government rhetoric or the age of the reps.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
So, the Senate voted in favor of net neutrality 52/47. The next vote is in the house. Idk what's gonna be more dangerous at this point, small government rhetoric or the age of the reps.

What's ironic is that the republicans who call the net neutrality regs big government are the same people who advocate the War on Drugs and the NSA spying, among the PATRIOT and NDAA acts.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 pm 

"Small government" doesn't mean they want the state to be weak or lacking in police and surveillance powers or failing to implement policies of social control, far from it in fact. That is merely a misunderstanding many people have of this important concept in American politics. "Small government" is a euphemism for corporate power. Politicians who want "small government" are actually saying they want corporations, especially big ones, to have more power over individuals. Since a government under control of politicians with this desire can help corporations have more power over individuals by using police and surveillance powers and implementing policies of social control, it is not contradictory for them to advocate those things as well. It is very important to look past the literal meaning of the terms when you're talking politics and examine what their meaning is in practice.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
"Small government" doesn't mean they want the state to be weak or lacking in police and surveillance powers or failing to implement policies of social control, far from it in fact. That is merely a misunderstanding many people have of this important concept in American politics. "Small government" is a euphemism for corporate power. Politicians who want "small government" are actually saying they want corporations, especially big ones, to have more power over individuals. Since a government under control of politicians with this desire can help corporations have more power over individuals by using police and surveillance powers and implementing policies of social control, it is not contradictory for them to advocate those things as well. It is very important to look past the literal meaning of the terms when you're talking politics and examine what their meaning is in practice.

In short, they want "big government" for surveillance and policing power, and "small government" for things that are meant to actually help Americans, like regulations and civil rights protections.

Last edited by nestee8 on Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 pm 

I once heard it described as "big government with small obligations". Seems as accurate as anything else you could call it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 pm 

Anyone who still believes the GOP is the party of "small government" or "low spending" after their trillions dollar war is a complete moron at this point.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 am 

You ever notice that "GOP" and "complete moron" go together perfectly? Almost like they were meant to be said together all the time.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 am 

I don' think the word "evil" gets associated with GOP enough nowadays.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Otherwise:
Scientifically-Retarded Candidate wrote:
"the earth moves closer to the sun every year -- you know the rotation of the earth. We’re moving closer to the sun."
Hmmm... I wonder how long he predicts it will take for Earth's orbit to decay and be swallowed up by the Sun?

That's pretty much what I thought. It amazes me in this day and age that anyone could be so fucking stupid. That is effectively the result of his statement--that the earth is spiraling into the sun--noticeably closer every single year.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:32 am 

The religious right want to have a small goverment (except for the military and police but only if they are in their pocket) because they want a more direct control over the population. They want a theocracy but the current constitution prevent that so they need to undermine the institutions, thus their need for having a small secular government. They don't want to be told by a governement to that they can't discriminate Lgbt people for exemple. I'm pretty sure if they had all the power it would be a conversion gulag and if not enough the death penalty. And than again, I'm optimistic about wanting them to have converstion camps and not instant death. I could go on and on about how I loathe those religious maniacs on so many levels.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm 

The religious right are pretty much a less powerful American Taliban. It's scary how similar they are.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don' think the word "evil" gets associated with GOP enough nowadays.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
That's pretty much what I thought. It amazes me in this day and age that anyone could be so fucking stupid. That is effectively the result of his statement--that the earth is spiraling into the sun--noticeably closer every single year.

How many of those people do you think believe the sun revolves around the earth? Because 1 in 4 Americans believe that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... urvey-says

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 pm 

Whenever someone tells me that the Real Problem™ with America is a lack of democracy, a lack of direct democracy, or congress not listening to voters, I just think about statistics like those. I also remember how many of the people I've met down on the Hill are substantially smarter/better educated than what they or their bosses portray on the stump. Trying to educate your constituency is a very easy way to lose a primary.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 am 

Subrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

How many of those people do you think believe the sun revolves around the earth? Because 1 in 4 Americans believe that.

Now I kinda wish the planet would spiral into the sun.

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Have you actually researched geocentrism and the reasoning behind it at all?

Xlxlx wrote:
The religious right are pretty much a less powerful American Taliban. It's scary how similar they are.

What "religious right" are you talking about? I'm by NO means right-wing or conservative, but I know several conservatives and there is absolutely no comparison between "not baking cakes at same sex weddings" and throwing gay people off of buildings; between "being paranoid about needing guns all the time" and attacking innocent civilians with armed soldiers and airplanes. That's so hyperbolic it borders on delusion.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 pm 

The universe actually revolves around Makemake; it's just such a cute little planet.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:33 am 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

What "religious right" are you talking about? I'm by NO means right-wing or conservative, but I know several conservatives and there is absolutely no comparison between "not baking cakes at same sex weddings" and throwing gay people off of buildings; between "being paranoid about needing guns all the time" and attacking innocent civilians with armed soldiers and airplanes. That's so hyperbolic it borders on delusion.

Ever heard of Fatwa envy? It's a thing. Look it up. If the religious right had the power to do so, they'd make sure everyone who doesn't fit the mold of a straight, white Christian into a second class citizen, if not worse. They brandish the same kind of demented, zealous paranoia as their Muslim counterparts; they just don't have the influence or the balls to fully enact their goals, thankfully.

Then again, I'm talking with someone who seemingly takes geocentrism seriously, so I might be wasting my time trying to explain anything.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Then again, I'm talking with someone who seemingly takes geocentrism seriously, so I might be wasting my time trying to explain anything.

Oh, come off it already.

The USA is the center of the universe. It's only logical that the sun and everything else would revolve around it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:24 am 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
Have you actually researched geocentrism and the reasoning behind it at all?

Are you suggesting that there's some merit to geocentrism...? :scratch:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am 

Hey Of_This_Night36, have you actually researched Flat Earth Theory and the reasoning behind it all?

Also, Christian and right-wing terrorism is absolutely a thing. Just look at the massacres of Muslims by the Christian "freedom fighters" in Central African Republic, or even in the US with regards to Planned Parenthood. Hell, violence committed against Muslims has been on the rise exponentially in the US after a certain election, and it shows no sign of letting up. Al Jazeera had a great documentary about it just a few days ago that's definitely worth a watch:

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 am 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:

I see no convincing reason to believe that a large fraction of the Christian right in this country would not do the same if the force of secular government were not there to keep them in check. I have no desire to run the experiment needed to find out if this suspicion is true.

Also, I confess, I think your attempt at ingroup-signaling is feeble; I suspect right-wing and conservative is precisely what you are.

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Are you suggesting that there's some merit to geocentrism...? :scratch:

I repeat: Have you actually researched geocentrism and the reasoning behind it at all?

Do you disagree with it because you've looked actually looked into it, on your own, and you actually understand the science?

And no, I'm not suggesting there's any merit to it......... but I'm also not suggesting there isn't - all I'm doing is asking a question.

darkeningday wrote:
Hey Of_This_Night36, have you actually researched Flat Earth Theory and the reasoning behind it all?
Have you? Or did you just pick the flat earth theory because it's a meme? Again, I'm asking if you've actually researched what you're mocking, or if you're just parroting what you've been told by people you consider to be reputable. And considering you defaulted to the low-hanging fruit of flat earth theory, especially when we were talking about a completely different idea altogether, well, that's not a very good sign for the amount of research you do on things, now is it?

Oblarg wrote:
I see no convincing reason to believe that a large fraction of the Christian right in this country would not do the same if the force of secular government were not there to keep them in check. I have no desire to run the experiment needed to find out if this suspicion is true.

Also, I confess, I think your attempt at ingroup-signaling is feeble; I suspect right-wing and conservative is precisely what you are.

Oh yeah man, the US government is totally 100% invincible. The ONLY reason white Christians aren't out bombing black neighborhoods or Mosques or whatever is because the government "won't let them"! I'm ALWAYS hearing stories about American Christians trying to get tanks and airplanes and bazookas and going after government buildings and minorities and stuff and then the government comes in and stops them. I'm always hearing about SWAT teams going in and stopping groups of white Christians who were secretly planning terrorist attacks, but were stopped in just the nick of time. That's something you hear about on a daily basis!

Also no, please don't act like you somehow know me when this is probably the first you've ever seen me post. Surprise, just because I didn't bash conservatives in my first post, doesn't mean I am one. I'm very strictly moderate, and just as against American conservatism as you are.

Xlxlx wrote:
If the religious right had the power to do so, they'd make sure everyone who doesn't fit the mold of a straight, white Christian into a second class citizen, if not worse. They brandish the same kind of demented, zealous paranoia as their Muslim counterparts; they just don't have the influence or the balls to fully enact their goals, thankfully.

It's pretty hilarious that you talk about "demented, zealous paranoia" and then go on about how conservative Christians would be the next ISIS if they "could". Do you know any conservative Christians? Have you ever talked to one? Because unless every single conservative you've ever met has also been a member of the KKK or something, your post is LOADED with "demented, zealous paranoia". The EXACT same negative generalizations conservatives make about Muslims, and minorities, etc.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

what they can't do in USA, Right wing christians, be it racists or not, try to implant their bigotry in other parts of the world like in Africa for exemple, and anywhere the human rights are lacking. How can you handle people that believe that you will go in hell if you don't read the bible and submit to Jesus?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
I repeat: Have you actually researched geocentrism and the reasoning behind it at all?

Do you disagree with it because you've looked actually looked into it, on your own, and you actually understand the science?

Yes, I have a basic grade school education.

Quote:
And no, I'm not suggesting there's any merit to it......... but I'm also not suggesting there isn't - all I'm doing is asking a question.

Yeah, no. Go JAQ off somewhere else.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 pm 

Not sure how we are supposed to "research geocentrism on our own". Most people don't have the resources to launch our own satellites up there; nor will we live long enough to chart Neptune's entire orbit as proof that none of the other planets revolve around Earth. Sometimes, you just have to accept what the experts tell us, especially when there is no conceivable gain in them lying about geocentrism.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 pm 

it's all about control, maannnn :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

:wanker:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:57 pm 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
It's pretty hilarious that you talk about "demented, zealous paranoia" and then go on about how conservative Christians would be the next ISIS if they "could". Do you know any conservative Christians? Have you ever talked to one? Because unless every single conservative you've ever met has also been a member of the KKK or something, your post is LOADED with "demented, zealous paranoia". The EXACT same negative generalizations conservatives make about Muslims, and minorities, etc.

Right wing Christians don't care for the rights of anyone who isn't like them, so yeah, it's basically like Oblarg said. Left unchecked, they'd do everything in their power to undermine or outright destroy the rights of minorities such as Muslims, Asians, Latinos, LGBT people, etc. For them, it's their way or the highway, when they can afford it. History is proof enough of that.

Who I do or don't know personally is irrelevant. An infinitesimal amount of research on your part (something you claim we seem to be failing on when it comes to something as absurd and widely discredited as fucking geocentrism) would show this to be true. If this wasn't real, Mike Pence, a man who openly believes in the merits of "gay conversion centers" (that is, torture camps for LGBT people) wouldn't have risen to the position of vice president of the most powerful nation on the planet, plus a plethora of countless other things I won't bother elaborating because your silly ass isn't worth the time.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:04 pm 

Geocentric and heliocentric models of planetary motion have observational equivalence, so you could use a geocentric model to determine where an object will be in the sky at a given time and have it be as accurate as your data.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Geocentric and heliocentric models of planetary motion have observational equivalence, so you could use a geocentric model to determine where an object will be in the sky at a given time and have it be as accurate as your data.

This is intensely misleading, as one of these models is far more parsimonious. Also, constructing physical descriptions in a rotating reference frame does have some hard limitations - apart from the usual difficulties with non-inertial frames, you also simply cannot describe anything more than a certain distance away (as everything past a certain radius can easily be seen to be moving faster than light in such a reference frame).

And nothing you do in defining your reference frame can get around the fact that the gravitational force vectors on bodies in the solar system (to a very good approximation) point towards the barycenter of the solar system.

There is a very obvious, intuitive sense in which it is "more true" that the bodies in the solar system go around the sun than that they go around the earth. Any argument to the contrary is empty, and can easily be adapted to support basically any claim.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:02 pm 

That's why I used the word observational. They create planetary motions which appear the same as observed from Earth, although the models would actually be describing entirely different motions of those objects in reality and would require entirely different laws of physics.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

From a reshash of the Taliban Dan ad to Just Asking Questions about geocentrism in 2018. Page 80 is one of only a handful of pages I would like to excommunicate from this thread's canon.

In actual news,

*here's one of Trump's favorite senators apparently trying to kill a (narrow in scope) prison reform bill even though Trump allegedly supports it. Apparently Arkansas doesn't have enough prisoners or something.

*we quite possibly won't have a farm bill

*Bernie Sanders' 2016 campaign manager thinks he's running in 2020

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:58 pm 

Today world's top diplomat unofficially-officially announced regime change in Iran is now US policy.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen so much said in so few paragraphs in my life:

Quote:
“These will be the strongest sanctions in history by the time we are done,” he added.

The European Union largely dismissed Pompeo’s speech and said it remained committed to the full implementation of the nuclear deal.

Pompeo took aim at Iran’s policy of expansion in the Middle East through support for armed groups in countries such as Syria, Lebanon and Yemen.

Strongest sanctions in history means the Trump is intended on forcing Iran into a position they cannot accept, which is designed to lead to war.

European Union is sticking by the original deal, which means any step the US takes on this, it takes alone. There will be no coalition like there was in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Iran is being punished for being like America.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

*Bernie Sanders' 2016 campaign manager thinks he's running in 2020

Bernie shouldn't run. He'll just muddy the waters and risk creating another split in the Democratic party that was too butthurt and led by Russian troll ads to get their shit together to support Hillary. Bernie Sanders running in 2020 will just bring up shitty memories of the 2016 election, and that is not what this country needs then. He needs to step the fuck down.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 am 

Disagreed. He should run because he's the best chance the party has. His candidacy with support from the party apparatus would fire up their base and result in a crushing defeat for Trump which could potentially turn the republican party away from Trump-style demagoguery (and revert back to republican demagoguery classic, I guess). Unfortunately the DNC is committed to failing both themselves and the American people so they'll probably bank on another deeply compromised, deeply unpopular candidate and will inevitably lose because the moral of the democratic party voting base will keep going lower and lower in this scenario. They've been grooming Chelsea for a career, so why not start with the top job?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am 

I'd much prefer a Bernie acolyte to run in 2020 rather than Bernie himself. I'd be interested in somebody like Tammy Duckworth stepping up.

On an unrelated note, The White House is doubling down on the whole "I meant to say that MS-13 were the animals" thing. Too bad the way this article keeps saying "animals" makes it sound like Turl from Battlefield Earth is talking.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/nee ... als-ms-13/

Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am 

I agree with John, Bernie should run. He's still popular, and has good domestic ideas. The only concerning thing is his age, he'll be 78/79 in 2020? That's pretty old for the start of a presidential term. He seems in good health and even clearer in mind though.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Disagreed. He should run because he's the best chance the party has. His candidacy with support from the party apparatus would fire up their base and result in a crushing defeat for Trump which could potentially turn the republican party away from Trump-style demagoguery (and revert back to republican demagoguery classic, I guess). Unfortunately the DNC is committed to failing both themselves and the American people so they'll probably bank on another deeply compromised, deeply unpopular candidate and will inevitably lose because the moral of the democratic party voting base will keep going lower and lower in this scenario. They've been grooming Chelsea for a career, so why not start with the top job?

Yes it would. But support from the party apparatus is exactly what Bernie Sanders does not have. And I don't see that changing in the near future, or even in time for 2020. Sure, they could learn from their mistakes and actually allow a more well-liked candidate to win the nomination, but I wouldn't count on it. The continual hammering away at failed investigations of old news like the Russia collusion and Stormy Daniels, shows that the Democratic Party is living in the past - which probably means, still wedded to the same type of candidates that the establishment likes.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
I agree with John, Bernie should run. He's still popular, and has good domestic ideas. The only concerning thing is his age, he'll be 78/79 in 2020? That's pretty old for the start of a presidential term. He seems in good health and even clearer in mind though.

His age alone may well be enough of a barrier. Democrats have done much better in recent elections with younger, dare I say "hipper", and more relateable candidates. Bill Clinton passed himself off this way, Barack Obama was this to a T. Bernie Sanders is also a symbol of Democratic disharmony, just as Hillary is. Either one of them would be a death knell for a Democratic option for 2020. I think Bernie could maybe have won in 2016, but not in 2020. His name is muddied, his image tarnished, and that will not be a symbol of Democrats learning from their mistakes or moving on.

Nothing says they're ready to fail like the mantra of "hey guys, what about our Number 2 option from last time?" It's time to move forward.

The notion of a Bernie acolyte, however, would be more palatable.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 227  Next