Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 pm 

Honestly, I think wild exaggerations and generalizations like that do plenty to help Trump retain his popularity as well.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Honestly, I think wild exaggerations and generalizations like that do plenty to help Trump retain his popularity as well.

Yeah, and Nazism is on the rise again because people kept casually throwing around the word Nazi! :roll:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Yeah, and Nazism is on the rise again because people kept casually throwing around the word Nazi! :roll:

non-sequitur...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 am 

Your argument is that saying mean, perhaps vaguely hyperbolic things will somehow enable people to remain "unwoke." It's not really any different a line of thinking from youtube right wingers claiming the rise of the alt-right is actually all the left's fault.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:40 am 

Liberals have to be civil, or else people will turn to Trump. You know, the man who is known to be the epitome of civility and rational, nuanced discourse.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:17 am 

Coastal, liberal, urban, academic, etc "elites" have always been dismissive of "real Americans" the way they are now. The difference nowadays is that those "real Americans" are now totally disenchanted with the institutions of American government and society and they have been conditioned to take offense at everything and foam at the mouth over any perceived slight (making the generalized offended liberal stereotype a classic case of projection). They are also aching with a sense that they used to be more respected in popular culture which is actually somewhat true, as there is much less corny romanticizing of small town life in old Hollywood films and TV shows than their used to be. This is why they continue fighting the culture war and seem to think that getting back at the world by being deliberately "offensive" somehow constitutes a victory (and thus why Trump keeps getting high marks from them). They are a deeply frustrated people whose realistic prospects for improving their lives has been severely curtailed in recent decades by changes in the economy (the "economic anxiety" theory says this is the main reason for their behavior) meaning they genuinely don't have much else going on (thus why they don't "get a life"). They are also being strongly encouraged by all the political, economic, and cultural forces which have emerged to "serve" them to revel in their basest impulses; xenophobia, nationalism, fundamentalism, racism, etc. Of course this couldn't happen if such things weren't already inside them to be preyed upon. The legal prohibitions against institutional prejudice that emerged out of the various civil rights movements of the the last century have hardly expunged all the individual prejudice that existed within people, after all.

So there's a lot of reasons why this is all coming out now. To say it's just because they're mad at being called out for their bad behavior is way too reductive. It's also well past the point where the differences can be bridged with a civil debate held in good faith. The solution to this conflict will have to be political: An exercise in power... These are my conclusions based on living in Kansas, the most Republican state in the country, for the last ten years.

BurnTheWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Nazism is on the rise you mean like Antifa?

Morrigan wrote:
Liberals have to be civil, or else people will turn to Trump.

It might be worth a shot, since that whole 'treating everyone with different politics like my intellectual and moral inferior' approach really wasn't too effective in 2016.

Last edited by BurnTheWitch on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 am 

Since antifa is a reaction to nazism, it makes sense that the one would track with the other.

BurnTheWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:53 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Since antifa is a reaction to nazism

So this is why they go around attacking patriots? Because proud Americans and Nazis are one in the same right?

Last edited by Morrigan on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned permanently for trolling and having multiple alt/sock puppet accounts.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 am 

Yeah.

BurnTheWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:03 am 

Makes perfect sense.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:17 pm 

The only thing I care to add to John's summary is that if voters figure out that parties they thought served them consider even their more normal policy preferences to be out of bounds then they will look to extremes. To use a recent example from outside the US: people like Marine Le Pen don't get 1/3 of the vote because 1/3 of a given Western liberal country wants mosques closed and immigrants outright banned, they get 1/3 of the vote when voters get the sense that more prosaic positions like "we should deport people who come here illegally" are becoming increasingly taboo. It isn't like a plurality of Germans circa 1933 were itching for pogroms. The ranks of extremists swell when a lot of generally reasonable people feel their policy preferences are being marginalized.

The effect is magnified when you only have two viable parties like the US does.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 pm 

In current trump world news, Cohen made hush money tapes and the feds have them. I do believe NY, if that's where these recordings actually were, have one-consent laws for recordings. Trump's not happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44911915

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:56 pm 

I'm glad to hear Taft did nothing wrong.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:40 pm 

Taft? He was clearly talking about Millard Fillmore, a.k.a. Milly the Filly.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 pm 

BurnTheWitch wrote:
It might be worth a shot, since that whole 'treating everyone with different politics like my intellectual and moral inferior' approach really wasn't too effective in 2016.

Funny how you omitted the last part of my post, presumably because it obliterates your point.

By the way, not sure why you felt the need to carry around no less than 3 alt accounts/sock puppets (that were actually posting, I know there's more). Oh that's right, it's what useless trolls do. :idea: Bye now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:36 am 

At least we now know how much of a trumpinite Vince Vaughn is.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am 

Uh is that real or something?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 am 

I'm pretty sure that's real and is mostly a sarcastic piss-take, one comedian to another.

"I would love to explain---or wouldn't I?" :lol:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 am 

Xenophon wrote:

Are you saying that generalizing a cult as a cult is hurting things?

Now, to be fair, I'm not for going on an offensive at Trump supporters. I'm not interested in playing into the irrational fears and bullshit that these people feel towards anyone outside their cult. Trump "won" by such a slim margin that we do need to be able to appeal to those swing voters who voted for Trump and Obama and need to be swung back to the left if this country is to survive at all. We won't get those people back to reality by badgering and calling them Nazis and shit.

At the same time, when 80% of Trump's base supports him regardless of what he does, that is exactly a defining element of a cult. That blind devotion in the face of evidence, reality, or even in the face of being against the supporter. No reason to be afraid of calling a cult a cult. But for that, we'd need to understand what it is that breaks people of being in cults. I've spent a lot of time reading, learning, and watching documentaries on cults--I find them fascinating--but I'm not aware of what can break the cultish mindset. They tend not to cover that.

However, a study had been done (in the 50's no less) on the mindset of people in cults, pertaining to things like failed prophecy. Essentially, what they found is that even things like failed prophecy cannot break cultish mindsets. Indeed, it tends to make it stronger in some. Some will break away and become disenchanted. Those that remain will not only stay, but will double down. Trump's people are doubling down now. His remaining support remains strong, I think, for similar reasons that a cultist might become more entrenched when failure occurs.

In a very real sense, the worse Trump does, the more dedicated his fanbase becomes. And this is exactly what we're seeing. This is the mindset of someone in a cult. They see their holy leader attacked, so they believe they need to make their blind devotion stronger. Trump gave many promises, several of which, thankfully have been failing left and right, so it very much looks like a lot of failed prophecy.

Democrats want to crush Trump, regular Americans want to stop Trump? They need to start looking at what works in breaking cults. Because that's where we are. We won't appeal to them with logic, reason, facts, or rational discourse. We've seen that. That is not how they think. It's a psychological issue beyond their racism and xenophobia and trollish hatred of literally anyone different from them. These people are, by and large, evangelicals and religious people who have willingly allowed themselves to fall into a horrifying cult.

I'm not saying to "be civil in the face of obvious incivility." I'm also not saying to dismiss all of them with hand-waved actions, because that is little different from the overt hand-waving bigotry Trump's most dedicated base does toward everyone else. Everyone is either some "libtard" or "illegal" in their way. I'm saying the strategy needs to recognize what we're all up against. And what we're up against is a cult doubling down on their failed prophecies. That is Trump's active base. That 80% of his voters (not 80% of America) that supported him regardless of how he handled his shitty meeting with Putin. You want to get those people away from Trump? You need to break a cult.

We want to get the swing voters back? We need to show what a cult Trump's base really is. It's all propaganda, and those people are scary devoted. We need to show how scary and unsettling that kind of blind devotion is.

Wikipedia page on When Prophecy Fails.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 am 

Good thing FlavorAid is cheap.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:17 pm 

the thing is that it goes way beyond Trump. If those trump supporters can get another leader sharing their views and that can replace Trump, they will dump him if he's falling too low. He's just a puppet in a way. The religious right, other right wing politicians and judges, lobbys like the nra are pulling the strings so if their influence can't be neutered, it will still be difficult to win.

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:31 pm 

It’s less so a “cultist” mindframe and moreso the fact that people are saturated in negative stories about Trump. It’s a simple case of diminishing returns. If there are ten stories in the media about Trump and a conservative can, in his own mind, rationalize the situation in three cases, he’ll likely just assume that other seven stories are bullshit and not worth investigating.

A better tactic would be to focus on large, air-tight cases, where there is no room for taking one side over the other. Instead of making a giant fuss over tax reform (which, by the tax bureau’s official numbers, benefits something like 83% of taxpayers in the country), just take it on the chin.

For example, something like selling weapons to Saudi Arabia is much more likely to draw ire from most people on both sides of the aisle... but it was gone within a week, buried amongst a million unimportant side stories.

The media being saturated by Trump headlines is ironically protecting him. To the average American, it’s an unnavigable fog of scandals that they can’t be bothered to swim through. Instead of any sort of “right vs wrong” paradigm emerging, the “right vs left” paradigm is being preserved.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 pm 

capeda wrote:
A better tactic would be to focus on large, air-tight cases, where there is no room for taking one side over the other. Instead of making a giant fuss over tax reform (which, by the tax bureau’s official numbers, benefits something like 83% of taxpayers in the country), just take it on the chin.

For example, something like selling weapons to Saudi Arabia is much more likely to draw ire from most people on both sides of the aisle... but it was gone within a week, buried amongst a million unimportant side stories.

THIS!!! x100000. There are so many serious reasons to criticize Pres. Trump; and yet, for every time the media actually latched onto one, there are equally likely to bury it under a steady stream of petty piddly-assed nonsense. Pick your battles, folks!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 pm 

so.... SBC's "Who is America" is pretty much a documentary of Trump/GOP'ers.

wow ... it's worse than I thought.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
capeda wrote:

THIS!!! x100000. There are so many serious reasons to criticize Pres. Trump; and yet, for every time the media actually latched onto one, there are equally likely to bury it under a steady stream of petty piddly-assed nonsense. Pick your battles, folks!

Exactly. That whole porn star thing probably stopped making a bunch of things come to light.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
capeda wrote:

Please don't conflate, "the media" with "critics of president trump." There's overlap but their goals are wholly divorced from one another, almost to the point of being in opposition to each other. No media giant in America actually wants to see Trump disappear. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:28 pm 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... view-terms

Trump officially has no idea what the Streisand Effect is.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 am 

I'm almost entertained by the spectacle of GOP House legislators and Trump boosters twisting themselves in knots trying to explain away the FISA warrants for Carter Page.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:46 am 

capeda wrote:
It’s less so a “cultist” mindframe and moreso the fact that people are saturated in negative stories about Trump. It’s a simple case of diminishing returns. If there are ten stories in the media about Trump and a conservative can, in his own mind, rationalize the situation in three cases, he’ll likely just assume that other seven stories are bullshit and not worth investigating.

The media being saturated by Trump headlines is ironically protecting him. To the average American, it’s an unnavigable fog of scandals that they can’t be bothered to swim through. Instead of any sort of “right vs wrong” paradigm emerging, the “right vs left” paradigm is being preserved.

I don't dismiss the notion that the news cycle is overwhelmed by petty Trump bullshit because he's a petty bullshitter that constantly does or says something idiotic. For instance, it now looks like he's looking to start a war with Iran because he thinks it'll help get him elected in 2020 or help Republicans win elections this fall. The news cycle fatigue is a good enough reason to vote across the board Democrat this fall just to (hopefully) make it a bit quieter.

The problem is that there appears to be no issue where Trump's cult base actually care or will change their minds. Selling weapons to Saudi Arabia? Trump supporters will say he's a good businessman and Saudi Arabia is our "ally." They don't care. They still justify it. He talks about popular Republican talking points and values, while living none of them. They ignore it. They justify it. Oh he cheats on his wife? Fucked women in the adult industry? #MAGA go Trump!

Frankly, if locking up children in concentration camps didn't break these people off from him, if sucking Putin's cock on an international stage, if giving North Korea everything they wanted for nothing, if starting fights with our allies, and if imposing tariffs that badly hurt American workers hasn't convinced these fucking people, I can't imagine what will? Does Trump need to actually assault their wives and kick their dogs and take away their football? Oh and there's that--calling football players un-American, starting a feud with the NFL--effectively an American institution in red states. This didn't do anything.

Now, you can say, this goes to the point that this is just "too much" stuff in the news cycle, but these were all long-running stories. They weren't noted and gone like selling guns to Saudi Arabia or the other 32,000 things Trump did wrong over the past weekend. But many of these are large air-tight cases. Still the base worships him. This is a cult. They will not be swayed. The Mueller investigation has showed such an incredible degree of criminal activity and corruption in nearly everyone associated with his campaign. You say they'll see several stories about Trump, be able to dismiss three and assume the rest are equally as bad, but they can't look at all these guilty parties around Trump and make the same assumption? That he is clearly as dirty as the rest? That is a cult doubling down on a failed prophecy.

If there is one thing that will finally break these people, I would love to see it. But even being blatantly anti-American hasn't done it. These people are immune to facts, immune to reality, and dangerously devoted.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

https://rubenstein.com/who-we-are/nancy-haberman-2
http://everything-pr.com/donald-trump-pr-firms/58541/
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... -pr-214083
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Haberman

look how deep this shit goes. access-whore journalism is built years in advance.
https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/ ... 7096088576

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:

I would prefer some clarification or a bullet point summary of what it is I'm supposed to follow through several links first, please.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Leader_OCola wrote:

I would prefer some clarification or a bullet point summary of what it is I'm supposed to follow through several links first, please.

that Maggie Haberman is an installed puppet of Trumps favorite PR firm (via her mom, who is a VP there). Anything she reports should be viewed as tainted; she isn't just an access whore, she's a programmed access whore.

Her fluff piece campaign for Trump is well orchestrated and goes back a decade.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:

that Maggie Haberman is an installed puppet of Trumps favorite PR firm (via her mom, who is a VP there). Anything she reports should be viewed as tainted; she isn't just an access whore, she's a programmed access whore.

Her fluff piece campaign for Trump is well orchestrated and goes back a decade.

Excellent, that definitely has my attention now.

Also, have I got a link for you fine people, because stupidity knows no bounds: SOUTHERN NATIONALIST GROUP CREATES RUSSIAN LANGUAGE WEBSITE PAGE TO FOSTER RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE 'TWO NATURAL ALLIES'

Sorry about the caps, I just copied and pasted the headline. This does not appear to be a joke article, against all reason.

Quote:
he League of The South, an organization described by analysts as a neo-confederate hate group, has launched a Russian language page on their website to explore shared ideas on "Southern nationalism."

"We understand that the Russian people and Southerners are natural allies in blood, culture, and religion," Michael Hill, the league's president, wrote in a letter addressed to "our Russian friends." The note was published online on July 17 - a day after President Donald Trump met with, and praised, Russian leader Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, Finland.

The Alabama-based group defines itself as a "Southern nationalist organization", with chapters in 16 states, committed to preserving white, Christian culture. But it has been called a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks white nationalists and other domestic threats.

Now, the Confederates were already anti-American, hence the war against America they fought. But this is a new level of anti-American, anti-freedom, anti-Western stupidity. These people are happy to be Russian trolls and patsies.

I started out laughing at this idiocy, but then it got depressing again.

Quote:
"This is an extreme example of a general trend: Steve Bannon cites Julius Evola," Snyder said, speaking of an Italian writer linked to fascism, "Donald Trump speaks of “America First,” and so on. There’s been a kind of renaissance of the 1930s which has crept up on us."

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 pm 

Wow... you have to wonder if these people can even read. For folks seemingly obsessed with the Civil War, to claim Southerners and Russians as "natural allies" shows that they really don't understand what happened. The Russian diplomats in the 1860s tried to mediate a settlement -- strictly a unitary settlement -- and when that failed, the Russian Navy stationed at New York and San Francisco scared off France and Britain from giving the Confederates serious support.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm 

Reality is irrelevant in the face of The Agenda.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 pm 

I'm sorry, but this piling on against Maggie Haberman is ignorant and misguided. She gets close to Trump so she can get stories, which she does. That's something reporters generally have to do, since berating your interview subject doesn't typically yield useful information (unless your intention is obtaining a "go fuck yourself" recording to endlessly loop on late night television).

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 am 

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watc ... associated

Golly gee-whiz, is it 1984 already?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:13 am 

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

"Allies in blood, culture, and religion..."

Not sure how common Russian ancestry is in the South, I have no idea what shared culture there could be between them aside from widespread homophobia, and I'm positive that your average Southerner has no idea that Orthodox Christianity even exists.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:35 am 

Okay then.

The tariffs that Trump made were crooked, stupid, and predicted by everyone that they would be damaging. And indeed, farmers are suffering.

So Trump is deciding to fix the problem he created by throwing more taxpayer money at it to the tune of $12,000,000,000. If we're all paying attention here, Trump created a problem that is costing farmers billions of dollars, and he's just going to "fix" that problem by taxing, borrowing, or printing more money.

This, sadly, is all a shady ploy--to literally buy votes. It's an election year, and you know what will make sure Trump's base goes out there and votes for him? Giving them "free" money, again, to fix a problem he himself created. Or as NBC Newsputs it:

Quote:
On a conference call with reporters Tuesday, administration officials said they expect the infusion of money to be a one-time shot that will not extend into next year. Read another way, that means $12 billion for farmers in an election year — and nothing once they’ve voted.

So, again, I'd really like to see a Trump supporter defend this kind of lunacy without ignoring it entirely and just yelling "lock her up" and "I'm a racist pig fucktard that hates brown people" the whole time. Seriously, and by all means, attempt to explain a logical reason to support Trump when he is wasting money on frivolous bullshit like this. Because you Trumpies voted for this bullshit, and way too many still support it, and I want to know why you want the worst for everything. Because this is inexcusable asininity at it's peak. Create problem that costs farmers money, farmers lose money, waste billions of dollars to fix the problem you made.

This is why banks stopped working with Trump. Only a fucking moron would ever think this ignorant piece of shit could be good for the financial security of this country. Fucking cultists.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 227  Next