Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:58 pm 

Don't worry, I'm sure there are some Antifa military members someone can find to somehow make the whole thing okay!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 pm 

Hm. So just for clarification, the consensus here is that straight up physical assault and "He masturbated over the phone at me in 1999" (an actual accusation against Louis CK) are exactly the same thing?

I would have thought different. I don't know anyone who has been sexually assaulted, and have not been myself, but my reaction was that equating the two dilutes the message.

I guess it does not. Apologies if I upset anyone over a sensitive issue.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm 

GTog wrote:
Hm. So just for clarification, the consensus here is that straight up physical assault and "He masturbated over the phone at me in 1999" (an actual accusation against Louis CK) are exactly the same thing?

I don't think anyone here is suggesting these behaviours are of equal severity or criminality. The problem is with your earlier comment that this (reporting of sexual misconduct) "is getting out of hand", reinforces the fear of coming forward that affects victims of the whole range of indecent acts. For example, it is a good thing that my sister told my father and me about the drunkard who exposed himself to her from a distance at the bus stop; even though it's not exactly the same as other more violent sexual crimes that have happened to relatives of mine.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:10 pm 

I don't really speak much on the topic, but I can speak as someone who has been sexually assaulted in a severe way (the fact I even have to say "severe" seems rather sad to me, actually). And, I'm hopeful that I'm one of the rare ones here. On the one hand I can understand your point, GTog, but it's really not a point worth making. At least, it assumes the act is the only thing that matters - and should matter - and not the context. It's both. With Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and now Louis CK, among many, many others, you have powerful individuals using their positions of power to victimize less powerful people through sexual means. Think of the context for Louis CK's victims, or even Kevin Spacey's victims, or Weinstein's. Here you have people who are just starting out in their careers, who look up to these powerful people and are taken advantage of and dehumanized as nothing more than a sexual object. Men and women, boys and girls; it may not be physically damaging, but it's damaging in other means. And it's important that we recognize that, and end that.

But at the same time, yeah, there are opportunists and false accusations, and then the shitty people who make elbowgates out of sexual assault. But it's important to not marginalize acts like this, even if they are committed by people we respect, or admire, or might even love. It's important that we see it for what it is; something that we shouldn't just brush off anymore. So "spectrums" really shouldn't matter.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 pm 

While false accusations are a thing that exists and can happen, I am really seeing a lot of people elsewhere automatically thinking they're all false because they like the people who were accused, which is quite shitty. I just saw one person say it's "turning into a witchhunt." The difference is that witches that were historically killed weren't real witches, and I'm sure at least some of these are real sex offenders, so the comparison fails pretty hard, IMO.

And on the other hand, I've seen people who can't seem to separate art from the artist, and think you can't enjoy a person's films anymore if they've committed crimes or are a sleazeball. I can see not wanting to give a person your money, but ffs, if I had to like everybody involved in the films, music, etc that I like I couldn't watch or listen to anything.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm 

CK seems creepy but him as a comedian I can see him joking about doing that in front of somebody. Whether it's a really funny is a matter of opinion.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm 

Well it's not so funny anymore if it's actually true. Whether it is or not, this is definitely going to impact his career.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 pm 

So Louis released a statement, admitting the things he's been accused of.

Spoiler: show
I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You, Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen. Thank you for reading.

I think this comes close to the most appropriate response he could have given.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 pm 

Republicans at the national level are abandoning Roy Moore left and right---telling him to step down, cutting fundraising ties. His chief backers now are all state-level Alabama GOP, plus Bannon.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/ ... ore-244783

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You, Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen. Thank you for reading.

Yeah, it looks like it's over for Louis for the time being: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... story.html
Fine by me. Actions have consequences.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:37 am 

The thing that sucks about it is he apparently hasn't done any of that garbage for over 10 years, and now a lot of other people working on those shows with him are paying the price. But then a lot of those shows are being made on his reputation, which is now trashed whether the networks walk away from him or not. Even if they continue making them without Louis CK, they're going to take a big hit. I hate it because I think he's done wonderful things for comedy overall, and inspired tons of great comedians to follow in his footsteps. Hopefully he'll be allowed to make amends and return eventually.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 am 

GTog wrote:

I would have thought different. I don't know anyone who has been sexually assaulted, and have not been myself, but my reaction was that equating the two dilutes the message.

I was once randomly groped by a stranger in public. However, I never had my boss or co-worker whip out his cock and start masturbating in front of me.

Guess which one of the two I'd find worse?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 am 

Neither! The only kind of sexual assault that actually exists is literal hiding-in-a-bush-rapists who wear t-shirts that say "I legitimately enjoy raping people" and can only be guilty of it if they are unrepentant afterwards. In all other cases, it's the woman's fault for looking too sexy/not sexy enough, failing to own pepper spray and/or neglecting to use a drinks testing kit on every beverage she will ever drink for the rest of her life.

That's the egalitarian way! This message has been brought to you by Sargon of Akkad, poster child for True Egalitarianism And Definitely Not Sexism (because it has the word egalitarian in it).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Keep in mind that he has denied these things for years before this and consistently either dismissed them as mere rumors or just outright refused to answer questions about them in otherwise candid, lengthy interviews. It's cool that he seems repentant now, but he seems to have been all too eager to lie about it beforehand, so it is a bit hollow at the end really. He's only sorry now because he got caught, basically.

circleofdestruction wrote:
While false accusations are a thing that exists and can happen, I am really seeing a lot of people elsewhere automatically thinking they're all false because they like the people who were accused, which is quite shitty. I just saw one person say it's "turning into a witchhunt." The difference is that witches that were historically killed weren't real witches, and I'm sure at least some of these are real sex offenders, so the comparison fails pretty hard, IMO.

And on the other hand, I've seen people who can't seem to separate art from the artist, and think you can't enjoy a person's films anymore if they've committed crimes or are a sleazeball. I can see not wanting to give a person your money, but ffs, if I had to like everybody involved in the films, music, etc that I like I couldn't watch or listen to anything.

I have an open mind if these accusations were ever proven to be false, but none of them have yet. It should be easier to prove these things false than to prove them true - if a guy could prove never to have worked with an accuser, or that he hadn't been in the room at that specific time, something like that. But that hasn't been the case yet. I wouldn't think this many women would ever make that much stuff up, nor would they want to for all the scrutiny, name-calling, etc.

It's a tricky business with sexual assault because so much of the time, it's in incremental ways like groping or something, as opposed to outright beating them up and ripping their clothes off, and "he touched me inappropriately" is impossible to "prove" in the way that some of these skeptics want. People want to come up with outlandish theories and diminish the accusations, rather than face the plain truth that this shit happens every day and is commonplace. It is a fact of life.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:24 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
GTog wrote:

I was once randomly groped by a stranger in public. However, I never had my boss or co-worker whip out his cock and start masturbating in front of me.

The one that happened to you.

I offer no defense and make no rationalizations. I genuinely called this one wrong. Sexual assault isn't one of those things where one can sort of zoom out an dispassionately examine the whole phenomenon. Doing so will blur the fact that there's a collection of intensely personal experiences involved, all of which must be empathized with for what they are.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:24 pm 

If you want people to take you seriously, maybe you shouldn't have opened up with the following:

GTog wrote:
The Louis CK rumors have me thinking that this #MeToo business has gotten out of hand.

Especially when he's gone on record to state, "yes, this absolutely happened."

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:29 pm 

GTog wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Really, man? :lol:

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:59 pm 

GTog wrote:

...Wow.

Edit: just so people don't go "oh look Morrigan with the snarky one-liner again", let me explain to you, hypothetical asshole, why GTog is being a fuckwit: because I explained a clearly hypothetical scenario to explain why Louie CK's sexual misconduct would be worse than a random groping even if no physical touching was involved, and he answered by doing the above deflection because he apparently has zero self-awareness or something, as can be seen here:

Quote:
I offer no defense and make no rationalizations. I genuinely called this one wrong. Sexual assault isn't one of those things where one can sort of zoom out an dispassionately examine the whole phenomenon. Doing so will blur the fact that there's a collection of intensely personal experiences involved, all of which must be empathized with for what they are.

YA THINK

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm 

Anyone see that new tweet about calling Kim short and fat? I swear I'm dreaming...

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Anyone see that new tweet about calling Kim short and fat? I swear I'm dreaming...

Next logical step will be "ur gay" followed by "nah ur gay".

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:28 pm 

schizoid wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Next logical step will be "ur gay" followed by "nah ur gay".

More like Kim DONG Un amiright high fives all around!

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 pm 

All Trump is doing is validating the beliefs held by the North Korean people about the United States being an imperialist nation.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 pm 

Isn't it?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm 

We invaded Afghanistan and didn't get anything in return but a lot of body bags. We invaded Iraq twice and left without any material resources. The second time we invaded we let them elect an Iranian puppet for a leader rather than installing someone more to our liking. When he told us the Iranian soldiers we apprehended (multiple times) with weapons en route to insurgents were actually "diplomats" we let them go free at his order, rather than ignoring him. When we left Iraq we gave them a bunch of our very expensive military toys, which they then abandoned during the invasion by ISIS.

If that's "imperialism" then it's the least competent imperialism ever.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Isn't it?

Yes, but he's making matters worse.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
We invaded Afghanistan and didn't get anything in return but a lot of body bags. We invaded Iraq twice and left without any material resources. The second time we invaded we let them elect an Iranian puppet for a leader rather than installing someone more to our liking. When he told us the Iranian soldiers we apprehended (multiple times) with weapons en route to insurgents were actually "diplomats" we let them go free at his order, rather than ignoring him. When we left Iraq we gave them a bunch of our very expensive military toys, which they then abandoned during the invasion by ISIS.

You could say that failed imperialism far more damaging yeah. But it's the intend that matters.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:46 pm 

The U.S. government (particularly the CIA) has an established history of inserting itself into conflicts in Central/South America due entirely to commercial interests. Research the United Fruit Company (which went on to become Chiquita) and their lobbying efforts to persuade the American government that Guatemala was going to align with the Soviet Bloc. The CIA ended up organizing and training a paramilitary group to overthrow the democratically elected officials of Guatemala. If that isn't imperialism, nothing is.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

Indeed.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 am 

John Hinckley wasn't really an assassin because he didn't finish Reagan off. Perfect logic.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am 

A great breakdown of the complete trainwreck that is our President.

John Oliver is gold.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
John Hinckley wasn't really an assassin because he didn't finish Reagan off. Perfect logic.

Well how many other people has he successfully assassinated?

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 pm 

''Many of those supporters were sporting Trump‘s trademark red “Make America Great Again” baseball caps that were made in China, Vietnam and Bangladesh. ''

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-inauguration-hats/its-made-in-vietnam-at-inauguration-origin-of-red-trump-hats-shocks-many-idUSKBN1542YL

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

This analogy fails once you consider we haven't had an actual history of imperialism since (ironically) our pre-WWII, pre-gigantic military spending days.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
''Many of those supporters were sporting Trump‘s trademark red “Make America Great Again” baseball caps that were made in China, Vietnam and Bangladesh.''

Most stuff is. This is non-news.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

The best part about the leak of the Trump Jr/Wikileaks emails is now Wikileaks is complaining about taking leaked documents out of context.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:
''Many of those supporters were sporting Trump‘s trademark red “Make America Great Again” baseball caps that were made in China, Vietnam and Bangladesh.''

Most stuff is. This is non-news.

I know that most stuff are made here but it's just ironic that while Trump was against China and for giving job back to americans, he made his hats in those countries.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 am 

And his supporters will say that it's a "good business move" because he saved money on manufacturing, which clearly means he's good with the economy of a whole country.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am 

lost_wanderer wrote:
I know that most stuff are made here but it's just ironic that while Trump was against China and for giving job back to americans, he made his hats in those countries.

A politician lying? I've never heard such a thing!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm 

Something fell.

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm 

circleofdestruction wrote:

It's about wanting the law to play out and not getting into mob rule. It's not that I don't believe someone it's that I hold to the law and I don't want to be a part of the mob. On top of that if someone is doing something illegal why is the victim not going to the police? That's the big issue here. If someone was sexual abused by Kevin Spacey go to the police so that they can look into it and if true he can be locked up.

It's the same when it comes to murder , if you get into a car accident, have something stolen and so on. When you don't report or say something about it until years later questions will and rightly so be asked.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 227  Next