Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm 

Congress: "Thanks for bringing this to our attention" *sits on it indefinitely*

OR

Congress: "We'll have an inquiry!" *four years later* "We're still doing that inquiry!"

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
raspberrysoda wrote:
Can you please explain how excatly Israel is an apartheid state? I live there, and haven't encountered any form of apartheid. Spitting out mottos is easier than knowing the truth apparently

I've heard this from both Americans who lived during segregation and from South Africans who lived during apartheid; they only ever heard about something bad happening far away but never saw anything themselves. I suspect this is something they willed themselves not to see because if they did it would have said something very ugly about their way of life.

I've been to the West Bank and met Palestinians. I encounter Arab people on a daily basis, and the only apartheid I've witnessed is the strict forbidding of Israeli Jews to enter areas of the West Bank BY LAW, while Arabs are allowed to. It's not like I haven't willed to see the so called "apartheid"- it's just nonexistent.

andersbang wrote:
In a more practical sense, apartheid is the situation when you use different laws for different peoples/races. Since the Palestinians, even Palestinian Israeli citizens, are treated under martial/military law and Israeli citizens are not, then yes, apartheid is pretty fitting for Israel.

Again, the only apartheid in Israel is forbidding Jews from going into a large portion of the West Bank. The Palestinians who have Israeli citizenship can freely go in and out of Israel- most Palestinians were given the chance to get an Israeli citizenship, but they refused that offer. The Palestinians were also given the chance to create an autonomy as part of some of the Oslo agreements resolution, but again, they refused this offer because they wanted Israel as a whole. It's really easy to blame one side for the other's problems when both sides aren't represented equally.

andersbang wrote:
in Hebrew. Hafrada = "separation/segregation".

never heard that term in that context tbh

andersbang wrote:
And this is not even touching all the international laws Israel is breaking every single day.

Tell me more, please.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:11 pm 

Perhaps it might be wise to take the Israeli-Palestinian conflict discussion elsewhere (PM?).

And good luck and godspeed with that one.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Perhaps it might be wise to take the Israeli-Palestinian conflict discussion elsewhere

true, true

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

Jerusalem should be put under a mandatory evacuation and then carpet-bombed into oblivion. Maybe then people will stop believing in ancient fairy tales because none of their "prophets" have predicted such an apocalyptic event occurring in their holy land.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm 

Yo Billy, you made me remember the MOD album from this year, now I have to update the "Worst of 2017" list.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Jerusalem should be put under a mandatory evacuation and then carpet-bombed into oblivion. Maybe then people will stop believing in ancient fairy tales because none of their "prophets" have predicted such an apocalyptic event occurring in their holy land.

There's something to that. When two kids are fighting over a toy, sometimes the only thing to do is to break the toy so they have nothing to fight over.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:

Many of the ancient prophets actually did predict such an apocalyptic event in the holy land. The destruction of the yet-unbuilt Third Temple of Jerusalem holds a central place in both Jewish and Christian eschatology - though Muslim endtimes tradition makes little mention of the city.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:44 pm 

awheio wrote:
There's something to that. When two kids are fighting over a toy, sometimes the only thing to do is to break the toy so they have nothing to fight over.

BREAK THE HOLY MONUMENTS!

severzhavnost wrote:
Many of the ancient prophets actually did predict such an apocalyptic event in the holy land. The destruction of the yet-unbuilt Third Temple of Jerusalem holds a central place in both Jewish and Christian eschatology - though Muslim endtimes tradition makes little mention of the city.

That's interesting. I know next to nothing about Judaism, though I've always had a deep fascination with the Book of Revelation. All I remember from Revelations is that a "new Jerusalem" is supposed to be measured out and built. I guess that can imply that the "old" will be destroyed before then.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm 

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/9 ... 82/photo/1

DOUG JONES WON ALABAMA! THE PEDOPHILE LOST!

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 pm 

I would like to congratulate Alabama on taking a time out from fucking close relatives to vote against a pedophile rapist.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm 

Actually, thank only the ~598,000 Alabama residents that voted for him on it. The other ~588,000 who voted for Roy Moore can go choke on an infected black dick.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56 pm 

Pretty sad that we're so excited a pedophile didn't win.

I hope Roy Moore goes back to a miserable fucking life of having to be disgusted to show affection to his clearly-too-old-for-him wife. And that she never finds anyone better. Fuck both of those miserable assholes.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 am 

Go to Fox News' Facebook page and watch the comments come in on the livestream. They're fucking priceless... lots of neo-cons calling Jones a "baby killer". I just responded with, "Roy Moore is against abortion because all of his partners are too young to get pregnant, anyway".

Edit: Never mind. The stream just ended.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 am 

I read Breitbart's Facebook thread on it. Same basic thing, lots of "Jones is a baby killer" and "Nothing against Moore is real" and terrible shit like that. People like that should be ignored and never given a serious thought ever.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 am 

Jones is a baby killer but didn't Roy Moore and his wife begin their relationship while she was still married? They met at bible study, you know. But I guess the sin that's actually in the bible doesnt matter as long as you dont abort any fetuses. lol And from what I have read from interviews with her, good ol' Roy fell head over heals for her when he first saw her....15 years old at a dance recital. I even read that this guy is barred from the fucking mall because of harassing young girls! And Trump went to bat for this guy! I dare a Trump supporter to even attempt to justify this disgusting display of perversion in the highest office in the country. I am a libertarian so I disagreed with most of Obama's politics but he held himself to the highest of standards and had class and dignity. This thing in the oval office, and all of his cronies, aren't fit to be called human. These are sad times we are living in.

Like your reviews?

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 am 

The pedophile thing (rightly) overshadowed the fact that Ayatollah Moore would have been THE most bombastic and radical far-right Christian elected official on the national stage. Yes, even more so than Pence, Huckabee, or Carson. Take Trump's unpredictable behavior, deplorable far-right pandering and combine it with sincere hard-line bible-thumping bullshit. This guy was far beyond your typical lecherous southern republican. The stage is still set for multiple candidates just like him who don't have credible sexual accusations against them to win quite handedly in these red states. Don't ever forget that. America dodged a big pedo-bullet today, but for how long?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 am 

A democrat winning an open Alabama senate seat is about on par with a republican winning Ted Kennedy's open senate seat, and when that happened it prefaced a republican sweep in the following midterms. But ThePoop is quite right; if it takes a hebephile opponent for dems to win a blazing red senate seat then they're still not in very good shape for the 2018 midterms, when they face the prospect of losing 5 dems up for re-election in states Trump won handily (plus another 5 or so where he won by slightly narrower margins).

Trump is their greatest gift though, and he's going to keep on giving. They just need to try really hard not to be their own worst enemy.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Pretty sad that we're so excited a pedophile didn't win.

I hope Roy Moore goes back to a miserable fucking life of having to be disgusted to show affection to his clearly-too-old-for-him wife. And that she never finds anyone better. Fuck both of those miserable assholes.

We live in an era where Democrats are finally realizing that sexual assault is bad, but Republicans are still proud of it.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm 

I can't get over the way Trump said "Roy Moore" in the speech he gave touting that scumbag. It is a little robotic, a little dramatic, and fully hilarious. It would make a great sample in a techno song.

Skip to the end if you don't want a full dose of stupidity:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... te-sot.cnn

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

That's interesting. I know next to nothing about Judaism, though I've always had a deep fascination with the Book of Revelation. All I remember from Revelations is that a "new Jerusalem" is supposed to be measured out and built. I guess that can imply that the "old" will be destroyed before then.

Yeah, I just thought it was kinda funny that your (joking?) suggestion to end the religious conflict around Jerusalem by getting rid of the place, would have exactly the opposite effect, serving as confirmation of some folks' religious beliefs.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 am 

Subrick wrote:
Actually, thank only the ~598,000 Alabama residents that voted for him on it. The other ~588,000 who voted for Roy Moore can go choke on an infected black dick.

At the risk of making some snowflakes uncomfortable by making this a "race issue" again:

Really says it all. (And WTF @ those 30% white women... shame on them, vile, stupid cunts)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 am 

It says Alabama is a racist state?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Really says it all. (And WTF @ those 30% white women... shame on them, vile, stupid cunts)

Actually it's 60 percent of white women that went for Moore.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... fa71f3ade5

So the Kentucky state rep that was also accused of molestation killed himself last night. I'm not one to encourage suicide buuuuut...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/12/13/kentucky-lawmaker-who-was-accused-of-molesting-a-teenage-girl-likely-killed-himself-coroner-says/?utm_term=.1bfa71f3ade5

So the Kentucky state rep that was also accused of molestation killed himself last night. I'm not one to encourage suicide buuuuut...

Who cares? Diddlers need to off themselves for the good of the world.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:16 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

And that the white people there continuously vote against their own interests in favor of their religion/racial views/etc. There's a good book on this, albeit focused on a different state. It was made in 2004, but it's still generally relevant.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

And that the white people there continuously vote against their own interests in favor of their religion/racial views/etc. There's a good book on this, albeit focused on a different state. It was made in 2004, but it's still generally relevant.

I looked a little into the book a while back. It's about creating the "Us vs them" mentality from my limited research I believe. If you make the majority believe their everyday lives will be under attack, they will go the safest route for them, and then all you have to do is spout that the liberals are lying about the good guy.

With this case in Alabama, my guess is that whitey bought into the "fake news" thing, but there was no way Moore was going to get the black vote, even if the whole "families were united even though there was slavery" line was faked. That's serious stuff being said right there.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

You know, those numbers indicate that blacks are far more of a one-dimensional voting bloc, than the supposed "racist" whites. Maybe southern white folks who vote Republican do so for reasons other than race, despite the persistent stereotype?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 pm 

^ No, it indicates that black voters recognized Moore's threat and unified to stop it, knowing more personally what kinds of things extremely conservative ideals bode for their communities and hearing the vile shit that came out of Moore's mouth.

What exactly do you think the white voters' reasons were?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
You know, those numbers indicate that blacks are far more of a one-dimensional voting bloc, than the supposed "racist" whites. Maybe southern white folks who vote Republican do so for reasons other than race, despite the persistent stereotype?

You're saying that most black people didn't vote for a racist, fundamentalist pedophile like it was a bad thing.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm 

Let's be clear I disagree with many many things Moore says: the 100% against stance on abortion, the wanting to ban same-sex marriage just for a couple examples. And to answer your question Empyreal, it was probably horrible backward opinions like those, that made up peoples' reasons for voting for Moore.

My point was, to make it a racial thing is completely missing the reality. I seriously doubt that Southern blacks are significantly more supportive of the progressive side of those debates than their white neighbours are. I can show you numbers* that prove the opposite: blacks are, in both genders, less accepting of progressive causes than whites are. But they put up with that stuff in the Democratic Party's platform because the Dems have been much more successful than the Repubs at portraying themselves as caring about black people's concerns.

*http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

*http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/jsr/article/download/156/116

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm 

You're not wrong about that, plenty of people of all races are conservative in matters like family, religion, etc - normal conservative-type shit. But I'd wager that 90+ percent of black people in Alabama can still recognize a white racist and what his threat was. That was why they voted against him - the racism and the pedophilia. We're not talking about them championing the starry-eyed ideals of a Bernie Sanders here - this was because Moore was a ridiculous extremist maniac and perverted degenerate and it should've been obvious to anyone why he wouldn't be good, even if you're not some kind of ultra-progressive.

That's why everyone is shitting on the huge percentages of whites that voted for him. This isn't a regular political issue.

There's a certain subset of white Americans who are far-gone and deluded to the point where they will take these pseudo-Klansmen, these pedophiles, etc over any Democrat. They've bought so far into the Trumpian "mainstream media = fake and bad!" way of thinking that they've basically lost touch with reality. This is what we were speaking of here really.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 pm 

I think the word "racist" often gets used inappropriately these days, but I wouldn't doubt for a second that Ray Moore actually is one. He's definitely legitimately homophobic and probably a closet gay, himself... wouldn't be a stretch to say that he's probably racist.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm 

He objected to a Muslim serving in U.S. office simply because he was a Muslim and said the U.S. was great again when slavery was around - and that every amendment after the 10th one was against our original values - so yeah he's a fucking bigot. Not sure where the questioning tones there are coming from honestly.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 pm 

I think he was just being sincerely dumb when he made that comment about 'Murrica being "great" when slavery existed. Still, though, if he couldn't foresee people questioning that remark then he sure as fuck isn't fit to be a senator.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm 

Black people in Alabama, including black evangelicals, overwhelmingly voted against a racist, homophobic, fundie pedophile; whereas white people, evangelical or not, largely supported him.

Let's see... how can we make the black people seem like they're the sketchy ones here?
And how can we be really sure that the guy who made explicitly racist comments is really a racist, you guys? :thinking emoji:

I swear, some of you people are fucking unbelievable.

Empyreal wrote:
Actually it's 60 percent of white women that went for Moore.

Oops, yeah, bad typo there. Yeah, it's even worse than my post said.

Now, moving on, how about that net neutrality huh. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
And how can we be really sure that the guy who made explicitly racist comments is really a racist, you guys? :thinking emoji:

Such as?

Islam is a religion, not a race.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Such as?

Islam is a religion, not a race.

"Islam" is almost exclusively a dog whistle for "scary brown Middle Eastern people." You can't tell me with a straight face any Republican can tell the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
"Islam" is almost exclusively a dog whistle for "scary brown Middle Eastern people." You can't tell me with a straight face any Republican can tell the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh.

This, goddamnit.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 227  Next