Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:58 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
You know this?

Absolutely. I work close to one of the HR people, and you have to be persistent and WANT results. If you're expecting to submit a claim and wait for the magic to happen, nothing is going to happen, as if you're not following up on it, it's not important to you or a big deal.

That's how we got rid of a creepy CNA in one of the nursing facilities I used to work at. The poor girl just wanted it over with, but I told her that she needs to keep at it. Eventually she got what she needed, and the dude is no longer in the building and making creepy comments.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm 

So you're saying that it took incessant badgering and putting herself in HR's sights to get them to do what they were supposed to do from the beginning? Doesn't that put her in line for retaliation if the HR people decided to go the other way? Why do you offer anecdotes that undermine your own argument?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:29 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
So you're saying that it took incessant badgering and putting herself in HR's sights to get them to do what they were supposed to do from the beginning? Doesn't that put her in line for retaliation if the HR people decided to go the other way? Why do you offer anecdotes that undermine your own argument?

HR doesn't do that if they know something will happen going the other way.

Also what do you mean do it from the beginning? Do you know how HR works?

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm 

Here is the problem with this reasoning. If someone "keeps at it" until something is done, you count it as evidence for your theory. If they stop before anything is done, you count it as evidence for your theory. If they are currently in the process of keeping at it, it is not yet evidence either way.

It's like saying, "Everyone can be rich if they pray hard enough. If you aren't rich, you're not praying hard enough. If you are rich, good job!"

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:59 pm 

awheio wrote:
Here is the problem with this reasoning. If someone "keeps at it" until something is done, you count it as evidence for your theory. If they stop before anything is done, you count it as evidence for your theory. If they are currently in the process of keeping at it, it is not yet evidence either way.

It's like saying, "Everyone can be rich if they pray hard enough. If you aren't rich, you're not praying hard enough. If you are rich, good job!"

That's not even close to being a good analogy because praying literally doesn't do anything compared to an actual active task.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 am 

Derigin wrote:
I get the feeling people are talking over one another...

There's two different conversations at play, and both are valid. Dettigers isn't wrong about "due process," the legal perspective and what happens in courts. But the legal perspective, while it plays a part in the "court of public opinion" isn't the only factor there. People are free to make up their own opinions of what happened, to believe the accused or the victim, and to believe that justice wont be served for whatever reason. Nobody is really questioning what Dettigers has said as far as "due process" and all that jazz. They're questioning him over that being a defense to people making opinions and holding beliefs about what happened. Which would imply that we should never, ever question the legal system and its doling out of "justice." That is what makes his OUTBURSTS OF CAPS ARRRRGH I'M GETTING UPSET seem absolutely infantile, idiotic and irrational.

OK dip shit you really don't get it. Public opinion means jack and shit. A company can't just fire someone for harassment with out fucking g proof. If a company like Ford did that they would have a law suit on there hands you dumb ass.

The reason a company like Ford would look into matters is to make sure what someone is being acussed of is true.

Oh but let's just believe the person who acussed someone. Guilty until proven inacent. Damn people are dip shits here. I'm done with this mess up board.

Last edited by Azmodes on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned for this post.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 am 

Dettigers wrote:
Oh but let's just believe the person who acussed someone. Guilty until proven inacent. Damn people are dip shits here. I'm done with this mess up board.

Thank you, finally. What the hell does "acussed" and "inacent" even mean? Reading your posts is like toothpicks through the eyeballs, and that's not even to mention the baffling stupidity of their content. Good riddance.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 am 

Dettigers wrote:
I'm done with this mess up board.

Let me help you with that.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
awheio wrote:

That's not even close to being a good analogy because praying literally doesn't do anything compared to an actual active task.

That's not even close to being a good retort because you fundamentally misunderstood the purpose and nature of the analogy. It is about what sorts of evidence we use to support our theories about the efficacy of things. It's not about whether the things actually are efficacious. I chose prayer because we all presumably agree that it is not efficacious, but the reasoning you supplied would actually validate prayer. The fact that prayer doesn't do anything, as you rightly point out, is why it was appropriate to use as the analogy.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 am 

1. Actively taking a step to get things done
2. Praying
Pick one.

Also some Ohio guy that's totally anti-LGBT was caught banging a dude. Not Trump related but hilarious still.
https://news.vice.com/story/anti-gay-oh ... e=vicefbus

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm 

You are still missing the point then. That's fine -- we'll have to move on I suppose. I could have used something besides prayer to make the same point though. I chose it BECAUSE we were likely to agree that it doesn't do anything. The intention was that by choosing something whose inefficacy we would agree about, we could set that variable aside and focus on the question of how we can determine whether things are effective or not. I showed that your line of reasoning would VALIDATE prayer. Thus by your own premise (that prayer is not an active step) your reasoning is undermined. That was the point. But you clearly are comfortable in your misunderstanding.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm 

Yeah the fact that hounding HR for extended periods sometimes works does not mean that that's a good system or an effective method.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 pm 

awheio wrote:
You are still missing the point then. That's fine -- we'll have to move on I suppose. I could have used something besides prayer to make the same point though. I chose it BECAUSE we were likely to agree that it doesn't do anything. The intention was that by choosing something whose inefficacy we would agree about, we could set that variable aside and focus on the question of how we can determine whether things are effective or not. I showed that your line of reasoning would VALIDATE prayer. Thus by your own premise (that prayer is not an active step) your reasoning is undermined. That was the point. But you clearly are comfortable in your misunderstanding.

No, the equivalent is either doing nothing or submitting the claim to HR once and praying it works out. Kinda like submitting an application for a job and never following up on it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 am 

So about that net neutrality repeal.... y'all contacting your reps to stop this shit, right?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:32 am 

I don't know that there's much the reps could do even if they wanted, especially on short notice. It's the FCC's decision. They've already ignored the public, something like 75% of the comments to the FCC were against it.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
awheio wrote:

No, the equivalent is either doing nothing or submitting the claim to HR once and praying it works out. Kinda like submitting an application for a job and never following up on it.

Eventually, you'll have to learn to trust people whose reading comprehension is superior to your own. Keep up with your self-assured cockiness and you'll never improve. You have re-asserted that you think prayer doesn't work and that you think that contacting HR just once is not enough effort. I pointed out that your reasons for thinking hounding HR "works" are not very different from the reasons people use for thinking prayer "works": if it doesn't work, they say you didn't do it hard enough, and if the change does occur, they attribute it to the action (hounding HR, prayer).

What you might have in mind is that prayer lacks a causal mechanism by which it could work, whereas for hounding HR, there is an apparent causal mechanism (talking to people IS ultimately the cause of changes). But the question is: does this really validate the method, or are you viewing the method in a way that is blind to its inadequacies? Because we are studying the method of "talking to HR and keeping up with it", but because "keeping up with it" is defined by successful times, you are in a conceptual trap that teaches us nothing about the world.

Another analogy might be: it's like saying that walking in town is the cause of getting shot. If anyone walks in town long enough, they will get shot (if they're not shot, it just wasn't long enough, and once they do get shot... well there ya go). There is a causal mechanism there, but it's still ultimately super misleading to say that walking in town is the cause of one's being shot. (In reality, the other, complicating factors are legion.)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I don't know that there's much the reps could do even if they wanted, especially on short notice. It's the FCC's decision. They've already ignored the public, something like 75% of the comments to the FCC were against it.

A curious article.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm 

If you support net neutrality you're a Russian dupe!

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 pm 

So, about going to H.R. as an effective means of combating workplace harassment...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 384f892cad

Quote:
Sexual harassment complaint procedures are often ineffective, either because they are not publicized or because the culture of the organization makes employees who experience harassment reluctant to take action. Multiple scholars have shown that employees often choose not to complain in order to show that they are team players, to avoid further humiliation, because they fear retaliation or because they think their complaints will not be taken seriously. Employees often prefer to think of themselves as survivors who can take harassment, as opposed to victims who cannot. Some worry that if they speak out, their powerful emotions will cause them to behave inappropriately, so they bottle up the humiliation. Some blame themselves. Many women (and people of color) have come to take harassment for granted as a part of workplace life that must be endured to succeed.

...When HR professionals do investigate, my interviews and analyses of human resources journals have shown, they often characterize sexual harassment complaints as instances of poor management or as interpersonal difficulties rather than as violations of law. To remedy the situation, they may transfer the complaining employee to another department or advise one or both parties to seek counseling or arrange for an apology, but they rarely take strong disciplinary actions against harassers. My interviews showed that employers may issue a warning and sometimes even impose a financial penalty, but public action (such as firing the harasser or revealing the reason for a penalty) is rare, because they worry about defamation suits by perpetrators as much as or more than discrimination suits by victims.

And about codes of conduct with regards to sexual harassment?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on- ... 7b1b65b4e9

Quote:
“In most cases, employers are creating these policies more to protect themselves than to protect employees,” said Lauren Edelman, a professor at the law school of the University of California at Berkeley. “We don’t know when harassment training is effective, and we have reason to believe that maybe it’s counterproductive in some cases.”

Experts say the training has traditionally been done more as a legal defense.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:59 am 

Morrigan wrote:
So about that net neutrality repeal.... y'all contacting your reps to stop this shit, right?

Pfft, they're already in bed with them most likely. Doing what we can though.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
So, about going to H.R. as an effective means of combating workplace harassment...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 384f892cad

Quote:
Sexual harassment complaint procedures are often ineffective, either because they are not publicized or because the culture of the organization makes employees who experience harassment reluctant to take action. Multiple scholars have shown that employees often choose not to complain in order to show that they are team players, to avoid further humiliation, because they fear retaliation or because they think their complaints will not be taken seriously. Employees often prefer to think of themselves as survivors who can take harassment, as opposed to victims who cannot. Some worry that if they speak out, their powerful emotions will cause them to behave inappropriately, so they bottle up the humiliation. Some blame themselves. Many women (and people of color) have come to take harassment for granted as a part of workplace life that must be endured to succeed.

...When HR professionals do investigate, my interviews and analyses of human resources journals have shown, they often characterize sexual harassment complaints as instances of poor management or as interpersonal difficulties rather than as violations of law. To remedy the situation, they may transfer the complaining employee to another department or advise one or both parties to seek counseling or arrange for an apology, but they rarely take strong disciplinary actions against harassers. My interviews showed that employers may issue a warning and sometimes even impose a financial penalty, but public action (such as firing the harasser or revealing the reason for a penalty) is rare, because they worry about defamation suits by perpetrators as much as or more than discrimination suits by victims.

And about codes of conduct with regards to sexual harassment?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on- ... 7b1b65b4e9

Quote:
“In most cases, employers are creating these policies more to protect themselves than to protect employees,” said Lauren Edelman, a professor at the law school of the University of California at Berkeley. “We don’t know when harassment training is effective, and we have reason to believe that maybe it’s counterproductive in some cases.”

Experts say the training has traditionally been done more as a legal defense.

1. First part proves part of my point. If you're not going to be serious about it, why will anyone higher up than you be serious about it?
2. There IS poor management involved when it comes to hiring of these people and there weren't any real checks on behavior in previous work places.
3. I do agree that most of the policies are done to protect the company itself, which is totally shitty but expected here.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

Don't kid yourself. HR depts only exist to protect the interests of the company, not to be "fair". The article I listed above detailing what happens with harassment cases in companies proves as much. Oftentimes companies will excuse the one abused in a harassment issue within a company. Sometimes they both get excused, but rarely is the offender excused and the one who underwent the harassment absolved at work.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 am 

A very illuminating and important article about the Russia-Trump hysteria, recommended reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/worl ... erals.html

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:22 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
A very illuminating and important article about the Russia-Trump hysteria, recommended reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/worl ... erals.html

Intelligent article. This quote really rings true:
Quote:
“American liberals are so upset about Trump that they cannot believe he is a real product of American life,” Mr. Kurilla said. “They try to portray him as something created by Russia. This whole thing is about America, not Russia.”

People really need to talk to their grandparents once in a while.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I dunno if it will work, the FCC is already bought by the megacorporations. All we can do at this point is cross our fingers and hope for the best.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

Apparently there's a White House petition to get that fuckwad removed. Don't know if that'll be effective, so use at your own discretion. Only 47000 signed so far. Not a lot.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... adaraj-pai

EDIT: In case you decide to do it, you gotta confirm the signature after signing. The email confirmation for me ended up in the junk mail box near immediately. So in case that's information that's necessary. Also this one is here too.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... neutrality

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:43 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:

Intelligent article. This quote really rings true:
Quote:
“American liberals are so upset about Trump that they cannot believe he is a real product of American life,” Mr. Kurilla said. “They try to portray him as something created by Russia. This whole thing is about America, not Russia.”

People really need to talk to their grandparents once in a while.

While there is a lot of hyperbole around the whole Russia-Trump thing, the point for many isn't that Trump wouldn't have won without Russia's help, but that Trump and Russia had a quid-pro-quo arrangement revolving around the election. Trump still hasn't imposed the new sanctions that passed the senate with a veto-proof majority nearly three months ago. It stinks of corruption and it doesn't matter whether or not it was instrumental in his election - the whole Watergate break-in was based on a giant nothingburger leading up to an election that Nixon won handily anyway.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm 

Project Veritas tried to trick the Washington Post into running a fake story about Roy Moore: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... 0a9858bf3c

This further proves that Veritas is completely trustworthy, per TrooperEd logic. :P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm 

Was just about to post that myself, absolutely hilarious! What I loved about it was that O'Keefe showed just how deceptive his editing tactics were, despite knowing full well WaPo would release the full, unedited conversation. You've almost gotta admire his moxy. Also, mad props to The Washington Post, they came out of this looking as good as MacFarlane did after the Weinstein allegations came out.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:22 pm 

Aaaand it looks like Rex Tillerson is about to be out of the State Department. Another one bites the dust.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=UP97DHP

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm 

Good lord. For a man who prides himself on business success, he operates with a huge rate of employee turnover. And Tillerson was supposed to be one of Trump's type, the "outsider". So if Donald Trump can't work constructively with the Deep State swamp creatures, and he also can't work constructively with the mavericks, maybe... maybe he's just a cantankerous crotchety old fart?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm 

Ajit Pai lies about net neutrality on Fox News

Piece of shit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Aaaand it looks like Rex Tillerson is about to be out of the State Department. Another one bites the dust.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=UP97DHP

Is there any other President who has gone through as many cabinet members as Donald Trump?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

Jackson fired his entire cabinet except for the postmaster because the other cabinet members and their wives were bullying the secretary of war and his wife.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
Ajit Pai lies about net neutrality on Fox News

Piece of shit.

That's totally okay though because he has a sense of humor.
NSFW for a whole nother reason.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm 

Senator Tom Cotton as the rumored next CIA director is the far more noteworthy personnel change. Being on the correct side of the Iran deal in 2015 does not make him sufficiently qualified to be CIA director. He's had minimal intelligence committee experience, no background in intelligence whatsoever, just military service. CIA generally disliked the last military veteran as director (Petraeus). I expect Cotton will try to make CIA more "aggressive" (eg, more drone strikes and "direct action") while letting their collection and overseas CI functions continue to atrophy the way they have for the last 17 years.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

They made sure not to include any mentions of net neutrality or the fact that that is the reason anyone has anything against him. It's not like he's an entertainer who trades insults for laughs; people are angry at him because they genuinely think he's making the country worse. And this time they're right...

Earthcubed wrote:
Senator Tom Cotton as the rumored next CIA director is the far more noteworthy personnel change. Being on the correct side of the Iran deal in 2015 does not make him sufficiently qualified to be CIA director. He's had minimal intelligence committee experience, no background in intelligence whatsoever, just military service. CIA generally disliked the last military veteran as director (Petraeus). I expect Cotton will try to make CIA more "aggressive" (eg, more drone strikes and "direct action") while letting their collection and overseas CI functions continue to atrophy the way they have for the last 17 years.

Does any of that really matter? You could pick any random Iran hawk out of a hat and it wouldn't make any difference. Our system is simply incapable of producing a decent counter insurgency force because it's institutionally blind to its own gaping wide weaknesses.

As an example, you pretty much have to go through ranger school to reach the highest ranks in the army, and in ranger school they have a system where you can get washed out by your peers if they don't like you (called peering go figure). This ensures that only stale, me-too, all-American meathead types make it to the generalship, which is why we have a bunch of loser jocks running the military now. Guys like that can't run a good counter insurgency because they're too hamfisted and they buy into our own bullshit. Good counter insurgency requires the kinds of sleazy weirdos who can see past the holy crusade nonsense and actually slum it with the peasants they're in charge of suppressing. Guys like that get drummed out of boot camp for talking about Rosicrucianism.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:10 pm 

Welp

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/9 ... 0585660417
https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/ ... 4106584065

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 pm 

Aaaaand guilty.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... be-n825551

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 pm 

This is the hole in the balloon, right? It's only a matter of time before the entire thing rips open and whatever's in there comes spilling out.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 227  Next