Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Kev Bower from Hell left music to become a sales rep, and left music behind entirely. He never let anyone know that he was in music earlier in his life. One year, he won a sales award at the companies end of year celebrations. His boss hands him the award, and also requests that he sign a recently acquired copy of Save Us. Kev nearly shit himself when he saw it.

And don't forget his brother, the lead singer, is a well-respected film and theater actor.

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
I love the whole Jason Everman thing. He gigged with Nirvana and Soundgarden and then decided that he wanted to be a proper renaissance man. Benvenuto Cellini says that a well rounded man is an "artist, warrior and philosopher". Figuring out he'd already nailed the artist (kind of debatable I guess), he decided to go off and join the freaking special forces.

Bit of a dude either way.

The story of Jason for those who have not seen it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/magaz ... s-war.html

It omits one detail. He left the Army after his first tour to become a Buddhist monk and lived in a monestary in Nepal at like 10,000 feet altitude. But he felt he wasn't done with the military and re-enlisted, this time going for Special Forces (Green Berets). 9/11 happened right as he was going through SF school.

He can also be seen in the documentary on Lemmy.

https://youtu.be/Kp2aZkqFdJs?t=41m12s

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 am 

Richard Christy, who played drums for Acheron, Iced Earth, Death and Control Denied among other bands. He now works on the Howard Stern. Comedy writer/phone prankster.

The other day Howard talked to him about music on air and said you're such a great drummer , but you played with all of these terrible bands. Howard said something along the lines of now your wasting your talent working for me. Its like the President going to work as a fry cook at McDonalds. (Not the exact wording, but it was along those lines).

Howard went on and on about how he wasted his talent with these death metal bands, never made any money and never got any women. Richard said he was very proud of the music he did and the experiences that he had.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:23 am 

Haunted Shirt wrote:
Richard Christy, who played drums for Acheron, Iced Earth, Death and Control Denied among other bands. He now works on the Howard Stern. Comedy writer/phone prankster.

The other day Howard talked to him about music on air and said you're such a great drummer , but you played with all of these terrible bands. Howard said something along the lines of now your wasting your talent working for me. Its like the President going to work as a fry cook at McDonalds. (Not the exact wording, but it was along those lines).

Howard went on and on about how he wasted his talent with these death metal bands, never made any money and never got any women. Richard said he was very proud of the music he did and the experiences that he had.

It seems like Howard Stern should know better.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am 

Stern always came off to me as most "rock fans" in media, in that they only know about the very famous bands and only respect and care about such bands.

And actually, Christy also brought his drumming to the Stern show (ca 9:14 in the video):

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm 

I agree. I don't think Stern listens to or knows of any bands that aren't mainstream.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm 

During the brief time I had XM radio, I remember catching Richard Christy talking (he must have been guest hosting Liquid Metal or something, I never listened to the Howard Stern channel) about being at some event and realizing his "double life" so to speak was eventually going to get him in some sort of ridiculous trouble. I can't recall most of what he was saying but I very distinctly remember the phrase "Why is the drummer for Charred Walls of the Damned butt-chugging champagne?"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm 

The story of Matt Barlow.

http://blogs.delawareonline.com/pulpcul ... -by-night/

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 am 

Bobby Gustafson, who played guitar for Over Kill, wandered around in different bands and his stint with Over Kill. He left the music business and I believe he is now a plumber. He looks like some regular bloke off of the street now http://noisecreep.com/life-after-the-pit-former-overkill-guitarist-bobby-gustafson/

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 am 

Pat Linde (ex-Morbid Saint) after the band first disbanded, went on to become a Zookeeper, or so i heard.

Robert Measles, Frontman/bassist of Black Hole from Italy, is/was a soccer coach.

Steve Bridges, Witchfynde's original singer, is now a minister, and wants nothing to do with his "past".

Steve Hughes, of Slaughter Lord, is now a stand up comedian.

Rob, of Amebix, is also a blacksmith.

Although not Metal, Greg Norton of Husker Du went on to become a chef, after the band disbanded.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2