Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dr8breed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm 

What are peoples thoughts on Brexit? The one thing I have noticed, less and less bands seem to be playing the UK at the moment when coming for a European tour.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:51 pm 

The negotiations for Brexit will drag on for at least two years. Why would bands already be skipping Britain when, at the moment, nothing has actually changed?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 am 

I think you're projecting your own fears on something that isn't there. Nothing has changed yet so there is no reason for bands to skip the UK on their tours. In the case of toruing bands I doubt Brexit will have any effect at all. Band came to the UK long before the EU became what it is so why shouldnt they come after the UK has left?

In general I was positive to Brexit. The EU could have been a good thing but I am quite worried about the development towards a super state so I am happy countries are now considering their sovereignity. Dirty campain though which I understand is why so many people feel cheated.

I used to live in London and I might consider going back so for me personally it might mean more trouble (even though I doubt it will stop me from living and working there). Most of my friends in London were devastated by the results in the vote but most of them have gotten some perspective on it (not liking it but not doing the gut reaction thing anymore).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 am 

Not to be a fuddy duddy, but a lot of people's opinions were already spent in the FFA and 2016 FMLPolitics thread. I'm just pointing that out in case people don't feel like repeating themselves. On the 3,720 to 1 chance that you're interested in reading what those people had to say, see below.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Brexit&fid%5B%5D=2

dr8breed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 am 

I think you're correct about the 'drag on' bit for sure. I believe Metallica made a statement, but damned if I can find it, saying they are not going to play the UK any more (the statement said something about finance and logistics). I guess when one of the biggest bands on the planet says that, people are going to follow suit. Agreed, it wouldn't make sense, but the shows being arranged are far a few between for UK dates when mainland Europe seem to be fine.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:16 pm 

dr8breed wrote:
I think you're correct about the 'drag on' bit for sure. I believe Metallica made a statement, but damned if I can find it, saying they are not going to play the UK any more (the statement said something about finance and logistics). I guess when one of the biggest bands on the planet says that, people are going to follow suit. Agreed, it wouldn't make sense, but the shows being arranged are far a few between for UK dates when mainland Europe seem to be fine.

Metallica are playing shows in London, Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham in October 2017.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

dr8breed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 pm 

Well, one year to go, so few bands are playing here now it appears.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:15 pm 

bands who tour europe often skip the uk, as crossing the channel and spending a night in london (with parking near the venue for a van or nightliner, etc.) sometimes costs as much as the rest of the tour, and if you're playing the underworld with its 560 capacity (or worse) you won't be seeing much of that money back...

nothing's in effect yet with regards to brexit (give or take the odd snotty border guard), so don't mix things :)

edit: just noticed the necromancy. oopsie! :/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.