Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 am 

I'm happy if I get 2 pages a day. You're on the Hubbard level.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
Has anyone tried writing a screenplay?

Yes, a few. Writing in screenplay format is sometimes a fucking nightmare when you don't know exactly where the project is going to be shot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:39 am 

I'm about 60 pages into a novel myself now. It's a crime novel about a collapsing mafia empire and the manager of a closing shopping mall who gets caught in the crossfire of a brutal regime change of sorts of that empire. I'm really liking the characters I've come up with and it's the most inspired thing I have going right now. I want to see how far I can take this and how long I can go for.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm 

I wrote a review of Critical Ops (Android):
Spoiler: show
While still needing to overcome the obstacles specific to mobile gaming, Critical Ops is an amusing way to kill time and challenge yourself.  After completing a brief tutorial, you will choose to enter the virtual combat arena as either a militant extremist or a counter-terrorist operative working for the Critical Operations Headquarters.  Your objective will be determined based on which team you are on and which match type you pick.  "Defuse" matches involve the terrorist team attempting to plant a bomb at a designated spot on the map and securing the perimeter while the counter-terrorists work to disarm it before the countdown timer reaches zero.  Each player is given one "life" per 1:40 round, so that in the event that the terrorists fail to detonate a bomb before the round ends, the team with the most survivors wins.  "Deathmatch" games are rather self-explanatory; these rounds are eight minutes in length and whichever team reaps the most kills wins.

There are five distinct maps in the game, each one being just the right size to prevent redundant wandering in pursuit of other players while still maintaining a liberating atmosphere.  Visually, things are about as good as it gets in the world of mobile gaming and there is nothing lacking in the graphics department.  The combination of aesthetically pleasing visuals and the realistic sounds of gunfire make it easy to invoke intense feelings worthy of many hours of gameplay.  Perhaps the greatest aspect of Critical Ops is that it is totally free.  You can purchase (with real money or reward coins) gun cases to unlock new weapons, but this is not necessary or even that coveted.  There is also no weapon-leveling attribute, which further adds to the game's quick and open accessibility.

As aforementioned, there are problems that are exclusive to mobile gaming -- the most obvious ones regard controls.  The control interface is similar to other mobile first-person shooters: a directional thumbstick appears when you tap the left side of the screen while the triggers and various other buttons are displayed on the right.  Aiming is performed with your right thumb, which must slide over to the firing button when engaging in a firefight.  This, alone, has it's own learning curve, which may take a total of about an hour to peak.  The aiming system is quite touchy compared to, say, Bullet Force, but this is actually a plus as it allows you to spin around much faster.  Also, as weird as it may sound, I have experienced the unique issue of sweating hands that distract and degrade my performance.  This, obviously, is not the fault of the developer(s).

There is room for improvement when it comes to character textures.  There have been several times that my death was a direct consequence of mistaking enemy players for my own teammates.  It can be somewhat difficult discerning counter-terror operatives from terrorists at times.  Luckily, friendly-firing doesn't exist in this realm, but there remains the very real risk of wasting precious ammo and having to reload at a critical moment and -- worse -- embarassing yourself in front of your peers.

Another tweak that would be nice to see would be the implementation of the option to exclude PC players and users with external/Bluetooth controllers from joining the room.  It simply does nobody justice to mix those individuals with people who are limited to their standard mobile devices.

The weapons arsenal is decent.  You are prompted to choose your primary firearm, which belongs to one of several categories (pistols, sub-machine guns, assault rifles, shotguns, and snipers), while waiting to enter into the match. The recoil of the assault rifles proved to be problematic, driving me to favor the subs such as the MP5 and the P90.

All in all, Critical Ops is a fun game if you are willing to forego any resemblance of a storyline and skip ahead to fast-paced multiplayer combat.  The controlling of your character becomes a chore after around 30 minutes, but the developer(s) were cognizant of this and designed things accordingly.  This app will see plenty of future use from me if the updating becomes more habitual.

Metal Man D
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm 

Well, I've been lurking around the Metal Archives long enough, I figure I'd finally contribute something. I've found myself writing a lot of poetry, and was glad to stumble on this thread. Most of what I write revolves around sexual assault and related pervasive behaviors, something of particular personal interest. Anyway, here's something I made recently. Critiques are appreciated! (Dots are spaces for formatting).

Spoiler: show
Sawback

Clopping feet across fractured sidewalk
Move under hazy drizzle and dim light.
Beside the curb sits stagnate water in
Puddles that when splashed by whizzing cars
Miss the shoes whose soles need blessed.
The city buzz drowns the clacking of steps

Trot. A figure stands beneath a flickering street lamp.
Canter. The shadow approaches, light goes black.
Gallop. The shade abounds with rushing winds.

A hand shoots forth and clasps the shoulder,
Unkempt fingernails rough and jagged
Pierce the skin. A droplet of blood finds its way
Down to the sidewalk and slips into the cracks.
Twisting the passer into the alley way,
The body tumbles and an ankle rolls sideways.
The city groans muffle the snap as well as the
Scream, though more of a yelp.

The shadow follows behind and slams his toes
Against exposed ribs beneath the armpit. The
Damage is unseen, but rest assured, bones
Puncture the lung membrane deflating the bag
And letting bodily fluid fill the gap once more.
Grabbing by the collar, the obscuration lifts and
Turns in his hands, then forces his fist into the jaw.
The teeth flay some skin from bare knuckles,
But not enough; they fall out and the hand recoils.
Pushing the body back before the second strike
-cars whiz outside the alley splashing puddles-
Contact bounces the head against the brick.
The skull cracks in the rear and a sample of
Skin and hair scrapes onto the city wall.

Moving close, the shade comes near enough for
Frightened pupils to capture the light escaping
The event horizon: Faceless, nearly, with but a
Tongue salivating and rubbing along the cheek
From jawline creeping up to quivering brow.
Then drawing from his waistband a bayonet.
An artifact riddled with grime and sludge
Whose serrated edge is crusted over with
Years of nescience and disregard.

He thrusts it into the abdomen, penetrating tissue,
And he groans exhausted, satisfied leaving the shaft
To sit inside, and rot, corrode, infect, and divide the
Corpse in two: before the squall and lying within feculent
Oil. He rips the blade pulling intestinal mass behind the tip to
Se..e............D..........a patch of ground breaking through the alley floor
..................r.................aiding the city’s wholeness in filling the scattered gaps of
................a......................morality. An inevitable progression necessarily
.........p.....................................inching life, for the
..............in.....................................human touch lets society breathe through the resultant
................g...............................ash. So these holes are packed up tight leaving the noise, and the
...........B ody.........................lies to dissolve into the Earth. Always, we must push forward
.......A nd mind..................those who dangle from ledges and slip
Into a grand puddle, just beyond the touch of black light, flowing out from the alley into the street.
..........................And cars whizzing by splash blood on concrete.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm 

I've been working on a humongous fantasy setting for a couple of years now. It actually originated as a minor aspect of another setting I was working on (a superhero one), but then I began to come up with more and more ideas for it and it just kinda took on a life of its own, completely displacing the other one. I'm currently using it for a homebrew RPG campaign with some friends, but I'm slowly working on it to eventually release it as my own tabletop RPG game, or more accurately, a set of twin games set in the same world, but different continents; Tales of Thasia and Chronicles of Quator.

For me it's mostly a big scale imagination exercise and a way to play around with lots of common fantasy tropes, but it's a lot of fun and I love it. Plus, I have a very good friend of mine who helps me to filter ideas and edit the ones that can use some work. He'll get quite a bit of credit once this stuff is actually released :-P

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:43 pm 

I watched a conversation between Stephen King and George R. R. Martin that was really interesting. I lost my affinity for Martin years ago, but King's a constant favorite, even though I snobbishly ignored him when I was younger. (The Gunslinger changed my mind.) At the end of this conversation, Martin asks, 'How the fuck do you write so many books so fast?' It was a pretty amusing talk, and enlightening.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 pm 

I had a short story rejected from an anthology publication last week.

Clearly, I am without talent.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 pm 

Needs development but I wonder if I'm onto a cool scifi body horror premise here and what David Cronenberg movies I'm subconsciously ripping off.

There's two scientists that are addicted to painkillers, and it gets real ugly for one of them and he resorts to extreme self injury to get a new/refill his prescriptions, while the other watches it and just wants to help him. Further along the self harm just gets gnarlier to the point that he starts needing more and more prosthetic limbs and other synthetic parts, and his colleague is simply terrified watching him become more machine than man. So with all this mechanical stuff keeping him alive, the regular drugs become ineffective, whats left of his nerves are shot, and there is no sensation to be felt in the majority of his body, and now he starts a series of experiments jacking all kinds of electrical items into his person in search of a new rush.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 am 

I read a lot of screenplays and am trying to hammer out some feature ideas as well as a TV pilot. Mostly struggling with laziness/procrastination. Also want to write a novel to apply Hemingway's iceberg theory and use extremely minimalist prose. Mostly crime/neo-noir in terms of genre.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
Needs development but I wonder if I'm onto a cool scifi body horror premise here and what David Cronenberg movies I'm subconsciously ripping off.

There's two scientists that are addicted to painkillers, and it gets real ugly for one of them and he resorts to extreme self injury to get a new/refill his prescriptions, while the other watches it and just wants to help him. Further along the self harm just gets gnarlier to the point that he starts needing more and more prosthetic limbs and other synthetic parts, and his colleague is simply terrified watching him become more machine than man. So with all this mechanical stuff keeping him alive, the regular drugs become ineffective, whats left of his nerves are shot, and there is no sensation to be felt in the majority of his body, and now he starts a series of experiments jacking all kinds of electrical items into his person in search of a new rush.

Looks nice, reminds me some parts of the "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Same crazy drugs stories although this is not the main plot.

I wrote a sci-fi (steampunk)/epic fantasy book which takes place in a whole new world called Selash. I imagined a whole lot of stories of all genres, but the one I wrote takes place in a land called Geckoria, where the king of the land suddenly gets caught in a trap by an unknown dictator and thrown in jail for factious crimes. The dictator takes the king's throne and begins dark and mysterious constructions on the land, such as drilling sites and things like that. In jail, the king succeeded to sent a secret help message to his son which is on another land, at the opposite of Selash. This son, who can manipulate electricity as his will - there is magic powers - decide to convoke an army of soldiers (needs more details to see how...) to fight the dictator's one in order to free his father and his people.

My ancient letters teacher read this book and found it truly amazing despite the fact that it was a genre she hated to read. As an ancient editor, she told me that if I made more corrections my book would be published for sure. I just finished its correction and soon I will send it to editors. Fingers crossed!

If the editor doesn't change the title name, the name of this saga would be "The Origin of Thunder".

I write also short steampunk stories taking place in the same universe from time to time. I write everything I can in fact.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 pm 

super short satirical horror selection

cliche central

hell yeah

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... wAZ1Z4/pub

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 am 

I am nearly complete in my writing of a Chronicle I have named The Rain Chronicles. The story is not one that can be pigeonholed into a singular genre, since it fits into many of them. I deliberately added moments of comedy that I hope makes readers laugh, there is also a section introduced about 1/3 of the way that I deliberately framed like a romance novel. There are also many moments of complete horror that I drew from many experiences all meant to progress the manic expressions the people in the story face.

The complete chronicle has five separate phases, which all make up a different timeline obviously. They are, as follows:

Phase 1: 1914

Despite beginning the Chronicle at the first moment the narrative takes the structure, a few past events were mentioned throughout. It contains two complete separate story arch's, each following three main people.
- The first arch Rain Falls [08/22/85 - 10/26/85] details two YA Psychologists who treat a deeply disturbed and previously missing teenage female after they had crossed paths just two miles from...
- The second arch 1914 [08/16/85 - 04/29/86] details two Homicide detectives and the county sheriff who investigate a grisly scene of capital murder, the very first in the city. Only scant clues are discovered but each one leads to a disappointing and more confusing conclusion before a high ranking officer meets the killer behind that first crime.

Phase 2: Continuous Disturbance [06/13/96 - 12/11/96]

This Chronicle is the most straight forward of them all and has only three real main people. A couple of supporting people are mentioned but the entire timeline details an especially downtrodden six months for the main person of all five phases. The other two people are causes for the very depressing story that follows but I deliberately wrote it as if the tale would have a positive conclusion. Spoiler: IT DOES NOT!

Footnote here: This section is the second oldest but has always been the shortest phase in the entire chronicle. It was the first section I ever let anyone read and while the reactions have all seemed rather positive, most have concluded that they would read it again despite knowing that what happens leads to a deeply sad and ugly dark place in existence.

Phase 3: The Moment In Time [11/07/98 - 04/11/99]

This Chronicle is the most detailed and lengthiest; totaling 1,045 pages at the size dimensions for a hardcover novel. It details the afflictions of nine people, all living in various parts of the country and their only link is each have suddenly developed rapid changes completely abnormal to them. It is not enough change to be a metamorphosis, but the changes are far from subtle.

- The people are seven adults (A Neurologist, social Activist, retired Navy Seal and his wife, a Catholic pastor, a Botanist and an Army Ranger); each of their bizarre and mysterious life changes raises their own paranoia to the point they are forced to stop living their life and seek help in a world where no one wants to help them.
- Meanwhile the other two people are two very young children and both have an eerily similar condition of Ombrophobia, though it manifests in different stages. The older child began with just a fear of water in drains but it evolved into a crippling fear of falling raindrops while the younger child began with that same bizarre fascination with raindrops but began to obsess positively over them.

Each ones fear of the rain increases as their dreams begin to return to them before evolving into memories of something unremembered years prior. Before any interpretation of the dreams could be made the memories begin to impact their daily lives. Seizures, sudden attacks of ruthless fear, panic or anger befall the people and are driving them all to madness.

Their only chance of help is to somehow find each other, which is possible since a few of the characters do know each other from the start. Also to note is that only one person mentioned in this phase is found in the previous two and that is the Neurologist. All the other main and secondary people make their introductions here, well over - what would be - 800+ pages in.

Phase 4: The Harm of Faith [03/13/99 - 07/13/99]

This Chronicle sees the return of the main 1914 story arch from the original phase, though its story was always in the background of the other story arch's written previously.
- The killer has gone from claiming those few lives to several dozen more in the preceding 14 years. Despite the killer claiming his victims from different parts of the planet, everyone of his victims have all been within the 15 mile radius of the original mass murder in the city. An even further complication for the police is the utter lack of evidence to the elusive killer.
- The only two facts the officers do know is several of them have been targeted by the killer, whom has always managed to add many profile names to his list. Every officer that has been claimed - from local to federal - came after some desperate to have clue seemed deliberately and tauntingly left by the specter. The only other fact was that each crime was discovered while it was raining.

Phase 5: Still the Rain Falls!

This Chronicle is where I am stuck. I have so much written for it but not sure how to conclude the plot points adequately. Maybe with any critique of what I have shared, I can figure something out to make it a satisfying ending.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:31 pm 

As a general question, where does anyone here find people with the time and interest to read and critique your writing for the purpose of editing?

I finally finished a work I'd been on for a while that's just shy of 190 pages and am looking for places where I can get some eyes on it that actually have the time and dedication. Outside of that, I'm trying to figure out how/where to locate a literary agent.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 pm 

an excerpt of something:

"I'm just trying to heat up the zone, man." Z says to Hoyt. "Why do you have to be such a lint?" All four of the men's eyes are fixed upon the artist, their ears caught adrift in his guitar molestation. He plays a classical style acoustic with all steel strings and considerable action up the neck, which he utilizes to unleash stupendous harmonics. He has a face that defies legitimate description, as the things one would say about it would only offer the foggiest of foggies. Not even fog, just a plain white wall. His face somehow carries the absurd and out of nowhere notion of being on backwards, like an inward turned mask that sees through your eyes rather than you through its. There has not yet been established a proper name for the style of facial hair crawling from the Artist's chin, very wolfman-esque. The strands seem to climb upward like vines. Though obviously of the same ilk, saying his beard and mustache are the same entity would be trite. More like cousins, perhaps. The hair dwindles away further up his face, as if afraid t tread the disheartening scalp looming above like a haunted wasteland. His t-shirt is black enough to be a spatial void and his jeans are as blue as a pair of blue jeans, as if blue jeans could ever look like anything but.

"What zone?" Hoyt asks. "I'm the only one that comes in here."

"Well that's why this ingenious live music idea. It should entice." Z retorts from behind the bar, drinking on the job like you're not supposed to do.

"I don't think stuff will draw the kinda crowd we want." The Artist's playing is either inept or masterfully ept. The plinks and tings and shcrrzhs percolate from the guitar to dance about the air like an ethereal ballroom. Closer to music than a departing train but further than Bach or Beethoven or Bono, it is as abstract and improbable as the Artist's face.

"It's progressive." Z says. The Artist does not seem bothered by his peers' rude whispering as he apparently finishes his audition. The ensuing silence would exceed a reasonable conversational pause. "That was something else, man." The Artist is silent and does not blink.

"What's with it?" Hoyt interjects. Still no acknowledgement, and he turns to the barkeep. "Is he aw whack job?"

"Well I hope so."

"Why mute?"

"Aerosmith said to let the music do the talkin, you know. Not that anyone should live their life according to Aerosmith."

"Well we can't have him if he doesn't talk."

"And why is that?" Z counters, to which Hoyt hasn't a true answer. "He knows what it's all about. He iswhat it's all about." Hoyt's three double shots of bourbon are conversing like schoolyard friends in the playground of his stomach. The Artist had been sitting in a bar stool in front of the two gents, but after finishing with his performance, seemingly satisfied, he would reach into his guitar case and extract a portfolio so portfolio-ish it ought to be the archetype for all portfolios. He approaches the bar to hand to Z, who would open it immediately.

"What is..." Hoyt begins, but in that instant of folder opening the Artist would disappear.

"This is a reputable assessment." Z says, though the folder contains no words or numbers or recognizable symbols. Rather all of it is just distressing swirling and sentient geometry. The ripples of color seem almost in motion against the black painted sheets. Z reaches out his hand with irrational caution, a piece of paper is almost never lethal. But as his fingertips come in contact with a cold, murky gel, he would lose at least four of his marble. "Maybe you're right, Hoyt. He could be a safety concern. We probably shouldn't have any practitioners of the dark arts serenading us. Bad for business. Where'd he go anyway?"

"I don't know." Hoyt slurs theatrically, as if accosted by the feds. Z lets his gaze trickle back upon the contents of the offensively bland and contrasting folder, still vortexian and odd, at least this top sheet.

"I dunno why he even brought this in. We didn't ask for any mystical resumes."

"It's like a fresh painting... That's live." Hoyt remarks, trying to mask the alcohol's impairment beneath this admittedly apt simile. At this point, as if for some reason the idea only surfaced this instant, Z takes the top most sheet between his fingers to peruse the other chapters of the folder. He tries to, at least. Further celebrating the fresh painting comparison, the sheet is in fact drenched in an impossibly dry wetness and incredibly limp upon lifting, like it'd been floating in a puddle. The segment pinched by Z/s fingers tears off with no resistance and he decides to be more careful.

"You should be more careful." Hoyt pipes.

"Thanks, doc." Z squeezes several more sheets to more firmly lift. Four, five, perhaps eighteen, and a shrill tone chimes from the pages as they are peeled apart, similar to the catastrophic string scraping suite of the Artist's performance. Similar as identical. The very same cacophony that had been expelled from the Artist's bloody murder screeching guitar is now reacquainting itself with the two men, much to their suppressed horror. This paper-like medium (surely it can't be paper, can it?) almost seems to be like some otherworldly sound capturing material. Or perhaps not otherworldly, after all, how do records work? Black magic, as far as anyone in the bar is concerned. The Artist's mad litany is somehow housed within these eldritch, swampy pages. Maybe it's his sheet music

The other pages observed, including the backside of the bottom sheet in Z's grasp, are equally dark and sludgy and unnerving, only accented by the repeated section of disembodied aria still devastating the very particles comprising the room's atmosphere. Black fluid-like material would appear to be running from the page Z holds, yet no liquid drips from its edges, giving its surface the visual quality of staring into the night sky whilst wrapped in a hazy nutmeg induced delirium. Such ocular nuances are subtle at first, the sudden ripple like a wave or insectoid shooting star, no outright lysergic fractalization, but grow more pronounced and comprehensible the deeper your gaze, until strange wiggly men form and prance unfathomably about the emptiness, stacking milk crates and conducting orchestras and directing horse drawn carriages, or any such banal activities that now seem so peculiar to you when carried out by nothing.

Z warily pinches another cluster of sheets to explore, his actions now driven by grim curiosity after logic, reason, and concern for safety have all headed for the hills. A horrible and dissonant tremolo like a swarm of locusts now blasts from the folder, a movement Z remembers the Artist delivering with particular enthusiasm. Z and Hoyt now both begin to tremble, as if their fear wasn't already insurmountable, at the new sheet atop the stack. They share no words or gaze, but a single thought balances like a circus performer upon the telepathic tight rope: Is that what I think it is?. They simultaneously ask and answer each other's mental query. The churning ooze dousing the page would slowly morph into a foggy, barely visible scene that would manage to further the men's apparently infinite bewilderment and, more noticeably, their sheer, primal terror. "Barely visible" might not be a discretion to do justice to the ineffable display. In fact the page would appear more like some far off channel that is somehow forcing itself through the static of a disconnected television, the black and white fuzz attempting to shape itself, however inadequately, into the broadcast. All in all the scene is perceived by the men like the fleeting, tail end of a dream as their true vision comes to a wake. The instance where elements both phantasmagoric and real blend together confusedly, when the dream has faded into an echo bouncing off the solid walls of your room and turning the morning light through your window into a perplexing rainbow.

After a moment of unblinking focus, the associates could make out the outside of the station, the boarding dock directly out the door of the bar, cast in frightful noir, while slowly but surely the bar separates from the rest of the building it's connected to, the benches and potted trees and tracks blurring away as well, until Z's establishment is but a single cube suspended in void.

"So we're tossing it, yeah?" Z cannot hide the quake in his voice.

"Toss it?" Hoyt cries in response, no less girlish. "I think we have to drive a stake through it." Z studies his customer for a quick second as if considering it to be a sensible plan. Then he nabs the bottle of vodka he'd already been immorally siphoning, takes a fierce gulp like an overworked athlete, and with the rest drenches the Artist's horrid portfolio, which by now had been shut to silence its squalor. He goes outside, Hoyt follows curiously, and tosses on the gravel in the track bed, then lights it with a match from his pants pocket. By now the two men might have expected some kind of rank death knell from the burning blasphemy before them, but it simply crackles and fizzes like anything else. After the source of their horror is reduced to ashes, Z takes a breath for no reason other than to breathe purposefully, and turns to Hoyt.

"Let's just go buy a jukebox."

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 am 

I write the lyrics of my own songs (upcoming EP in July :-D) but I wouldn't consider much of a writer myself. Neverthenless I would love to make detective novels like a Sherlock Holmes but in the Peruvian modern days. Cool thing is that in southamerican countries law and criminalistic can be a little limited so it would help to make enlarge the plot and give more details. I would also like to make a romantic novel about two cousins who fall inlove for each other, but I would have to work a lot in details so my family wouldn´t find out :oh shit:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
As a general question, where does anyone here find people with the time and interest to read and critique your writing for the purpose of editing?

I finally finished a work I'd been on for a while that's just shy of 190 pages and am looking for places where I can get some eyes on it that actually have the time and dedication. Outside of that, I'm trying to figure out how/where to locate a literary agent.

There are websites for both. One site for reading/critiquing is Wattpad, where you can join book clubs. In that case you'd be doing the same for someone else, a trade of sorts.

As for agents, https://querytracker.net/ is one of the best places to search for applicable agents. You can search by genre, and if they're open to submissions just drop your query letter in their email. After that it's a waiting game.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

There are websites for both. One site for reading/critiquing is Wattpad, where you can join book clubs. In that case you'd be doing the same for someone else, a trade of sorts.

As for agents, https://querytracker.net/ is one of the best places to search for applicable agents. You can search by genre, and if they're open to submissions just drop your query letter in their email. After that it's a waiting game.

Thanks for the resources. I'll definitely be taking a look into those.

Some of this stuff gets overwhelming, so I get stuck on where even to start.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2