Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 am 

I've always heard that he was the leader of a satanic cult. So why is he saying these things? *points down*

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:10 pm 

Is this what people mean when they say "shitpost"?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:15 pm 

It seems I might have been misunderstood. I am not complaining about what he says in the video. I'm just confused because I've always thought of him as anti-christian, that's all.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm 

He's whatever your heart wants him to be. Nobody really cares what Manson was all about, it's the evil hippy image that we all fell in love with.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 pm 

you're questioning the viewpoint consistency of this guy?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm 

Haha, that was hilarious! ;) I guess that vídeo says it all, doesn't it?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm 

he actually is a interesting person imo, just not the most sane person but that is what makes him interesting

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 pm 

Unity wrote:
Haha, that was hilarious! ;) I guess that vídeo says it all, doesn't it?

it's a pretty great answer.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:39 pm 

What I meant was that that video clearly shows that Manson shouldn't be taken serioulsy. :)

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 pm 

oh I'm with ya! But I still thought his response was weirdly apt as well.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:52 pm 

Unity wrote:
I've always heard that he was the leader of a satanic cult. So why is he saying these things? *points down*

The "Family" was never dubbed Satanists. On the contrary, Manson once told people he was the second coming of Jesus...among other things. lol

Like your reviews?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:30 pm 

*cough*

the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

Manson's music is eerily easy to listen to.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:22 pm 

Unity wrote:
It seems I might have been misunderstood. I am not complaining about what he says in the video. I'm just confused because I've always thought of him as anti-christian, that's all.

Where'd you get the anti-Christian idea from? My guess is that you just went by all the goofy quasi-satanic merchandise sold in Spencer Gifts or whatever that lumps him in with other people like Richard Ramirez, and CM wasn't, he was a fucking hippie into free love and drugs, and a failed singer-songwriter. He said wacky shit like he was Jesus, but this is supposedly while on lots of LSD during orgies.

He liked to say wacky shit in interviews, too, but it probably goes back to wishing he was like the Beach Boys or the Beatles: they were famous and people paid attention to them. So when all the cameras were on him in '69 or '70 all the time, he really loved it. And the interviews since then, he probably really loved the attention there, too. He did say things to be creepy and shocking, but the son of a bitch was like 5 feet tall and 78 pounds, he could never have intimidated people physically so he played the "crazy" card, IMO. Not that he isn't a bit fucked in the head, but I also think he plays it up for the cameras. I don't think he's likely any crazier than the women who did the murders, and if you watch interviews with them, they seem perfectly "normal." People in groups do things people don't do alone, and that includes murder.

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
Manson's music is eerily easy to listen to.

Some of it's quite funny, like the Garbage Dump song. There is a documentary on Hulu I watched the other night out of boredom, they interview people from the Beach Boys and also Neil Young (I guess NY really dug Manson at the time!).
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm 

The sooner people stop talking about this psychotic loser the better.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 am 

Disagree. I think people and events (such as the Tate/Labianca murders) are worthy of study, and talking about these things can educate people on the subjects of cults, etc.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 am 

do you by chance remember what that doc was called?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:25 am 

circleofdestruction wrote:
Unity wrote:

Where'd you get the anti-Christian idea from? My guess is that you just went by all the goofy quasi-satanic merchandise sold in Spencer Gifts or whatever that lumps him in with other people like Richard Ramirez, and CM wasn't, he was a fucking hippie into free love and drugs, and a failed singer-songwriter. He said wacky shit like he was Jesus, but this is supposedly while on lots of LSD during orgies.

I heard that his "family" called themselves "Slaves Of Satan"... *shrugs*

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:33 am 

y'all gotta listen to Last Podcast on the Left? they have easily, the best rundown of this guy. i'm not gonna say he's a nice guy, but he was super fucked since birth. his mom tried to sell him, he got raped repeatedly in boarding school, and when he got out, he just wanted to spread love (literally) by starting a sex cult. the real problem is the people who he recruited. i genuinely believe if they hadn't started killing, he wouldn't have killed at all. The "Slaves of Satan" thing was a slaves of pleasure reference, like the Satanic Church and all that.

fun fact, even Manson thought scientology was wonky, and left the church.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:39 pm 

Only in the United States, could a failure in life, who dropped out of school become a cult leader. Even to this day he gets a tattoo on his forehead, rambles incoherently and thousands worship him.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm 

Does anybody know if the environmental organization ATWA (Air Trees Water Animals) has any official connection to Charles Manson, or if it's just using his name/ideas? It talks about something called The Savior, which is some kind of device supposedly invented by Manson that is supposed to help restore plant life in barren areas, or something silly like that.

http://www.atwaearth.com/the-savior.html

At the very least, it's an amusing website to browse.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:47 pm 

an awful lot of the "Satanic" perception about Manson can be laid squarely at the door of Boyd Rice, Nicholas Shrek and Michael Moynihan. There was a lot of interest in Manson from the right-wing of the Church of Satan in the 80s which filtered through into the mainstream.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:18 pm 

brainbomb wrote:
do you by chance remember what that doc was called?

I think it was just called "manson family" or something. It looked like it was part of a series (probably on other people, too) but that was the only "episode" listed.

Quote:
Only in the United States, could a failure in life, who dropped out of school become a cult leader. Even to this day he gets a tattoo on his forehead, rambles incoherently and thousands worship him.

I doubt it's something that only happens in the US. If anything, I'd blame it more on people's willingness to believe in nonsense and belong to groups. If people weren't so gullible, cult leaders would have no followers.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:47 pm 

Haunted Shirt wrote:
Only in the United States, could a failure in life, who dropped out of school become a cult leader.

Shoko Asahara makes Manson look like a little bitch. We also have a hotbed of cult leadership in the Middle East and throughout third world nations.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:59 pm 

AWW yeah. there's a last podcast on the left about those guys too.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm 

That's how I found out about them. LPOTL is incredible for stuff like this, even if the most recent ep (Chris Benoit) was meh. I knew about the Tokyo subway gas attack but not about the cult behind it.

darkeningday wrote:

LordFashHeart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

I need to listen to more Blood Axis, I love music that's both haunting and sort of soothing.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 am 

a lot of it is corny as fuck

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 am 

Only really need the debut before they started to try to play neofolk and drowned in cheese. The live album and compilation have a few good songs each, the second full-length is pretty crap from start to finish (with the exception of "The Vortex"), only the debut is essential.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:18 pm 

I like that live album because it sorta acts as a greatest hits. Gospel is cool though, yeah.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
he actually is a interesting person imo, just not the most sane person but that is what makes him interesting

I guess he's interesting, but I'm so sick of hearing about him. I just don't give a fuck about Li'l Chucky Manson. He is the shitty live-action prototype of a modern internet troll. He lives for attention and will say or do whatever would get him that attention.

Yes, I understand the irony of commenting about something I'm sick of hearing or reading about.

My point is more that we should be burned out by his bullshit by now. By his "influence," by his history. He led a bunch of brainless flower children to doing a horrible thing, and when he was caught, he lived for that spotlight. A seemingly unending wave of movies and documentaries have been made about him or inspired by him, what have you, and they never do anything new or different. It's just the same garbage over and over. Remember when Charles Manson was a crazy sociopath? Yeah, we all fucking remember. Now let's fucking forget.

For instance, there was that shitty movie, The Strangers that was a very meh experience but it claimed to be inspired by a "true story." I looked it up, and it was "inspired" by Manson's activities. So fuck that movie and it's lazy bullshit. Do something original. So sick of this fucking guy. And I'm one of those people that enjoys learning about serial killers and cults and that kind of shit, but I'm so fucking tired of Manson. He needs to just die already. And then everybody needs to forget he ever existed.

[/rant]

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 am 

You do understand that one of the first major instances of cult activity that showed us they weren't harmless little communes in the US was the Manson Family, right? As in, within that realm, he's one of the most important figures? Yeah. That's why people won't shut up about him and the drug-fueled idiots behind him.

darkeningday wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

I guess he's interesting, but I'm so sick of hearing about him. I just don't give a fuck about Li'l Chucky Manson. He is the shitty live-action prototype of a modern internet troll. He lives for attention and will say or do whatever would get him that attention.

Yes, I understand the irony of commenting about something I'm sick of hearing or reading about.

My point is more that we should be burned out by his bullshit by now. By his "influence," by his history. He led a bunch of brainless flower children to doing a horrible thing, and when he was caught, he lived for that spotlight. A seemingly unending wave of movies and documentaries have been made about him or inspired by him, what have you, and they never do anything new or different. It's just the same garbage over and over. Remember when Charles Manson was a crazy sociopath? Yeah, we all fucking remember. Now let's fucking forget.

For instance, there was that shitty movie, The Strangers that was a very meh experience but it claimed to be inspired by a "true story." I looked it up, and it was "inspired" by Manson's activities. So fuck that movie and it's lazy bullshit. Do something original. So sick of this fucking guy. And I'm one of those people that enjoys learning about serial killers and cults and that kind of shit, but I'm so fucking tired of Manson. He needs to just die already. And then everybody needs to forget he ever existed.

[/rant]

i completely agree with you there, for me there is far more interesting people but all we hear about is this guy so it gets boring as hell, he is interesting imo but not by far the most interesting and people's obsession with him makes him overdone imo

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i completely agree with you there, for me there is far more interesting people but all we hear about is this guy so it gets boring as hell, he is interesting imo but not by far the most interesting and people's obsession with him makes him overdone imo

If I took this post out of context, how high a percentage of forum members would think it's about Varg? I estimate roughly 95%.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 am 

Varg as the Manson of black metal? Mostly hype and tongue-in-cheek entertainment value? I can see that.

darkeningday wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am 

that is very true, i must admit i dont actually know much about Varg, i just know the basics but yes he does get a lot attention, deserved or undeserved i dont have an opinion because i dont know that much about him but yes taken out of context my post could easily be about him

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 pm 

What's funny about both Manson and Varg is that they still insist that they did nothing wrong.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm 

Unity wrote:
What's funny about both Manson and Varg is that they still insist that they did nothing wrong.

i guess they share several personality traits, i admit i dont know much about Varg but i always considered him somewhat sane while manson not so much

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:43 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
You do understand that one of the first major instances of cult activity that showed us they weren't harmless little communes in the US was the Manson Family, right? As in, within that realm, he's one of the most important figures? Yeah. That's why people won't shut up about him and the drug-fueled idiots behind him.

Oh I understand this stuff. I spent a lot of time learning about cults, killers, lunatics, etc. I'm just tired of hearing about him. Everything that can be said has been said. Time to move on. And he's not even the most fascinating. He's just the most psychotic and self-centered.

Give me Heaven's Gate anytime. Or Scientology. Those are at least bizarre and fascinating. And they have aliens. Checkpoint, Manson Family. You don't have aliens. Just drugs and a stupid old hope for a race war. They murdered some people, the beautiful wife of a pedophile, and then got caught super easily. Where's David Miscavige's wife? She's still missing. That's way more interesting.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Nobody really cares what Manson was all about, it's the evil hippy image that we all fell in love with.

Nah, I couldn't dislike more a character like him.

Reply to topic