Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:14 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
The only song I remember is "Back to School" which was a chore listening to, any recommendations?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 pm 

^ That was even worse than Back to School, thanks though.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Not a band I'd ever choose to listen to, one of the most dull live experiences I've ever witnessed...but I actually get why people like them. Chino's voice is distinct, at the very least, and they all seem like genuinely cool guys.

Everyone was going bananas in the concert I attended, and it was certainly one of the greatest days of my life, I enjoyed them playing some of my favorites in front of me. I look forward to see Katatonia, Morbid Angel, Meshuggah, Lantlos, and Emperor one day (I know Emperor is going to tour this year, but like the past one in 2014, I wont be able to see them due to financial issues).

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
The only song I remember is "Back to School" which was a chore listening to, any recommendations?

I reccomend you these songs by Deftones:

Rosemary

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7831,d.cGc

Deathblow

Hole In The Earth

Diamond Eyes

Prayers/Triangles

Let me know what you think, I can understand the hate towards the song Back To School, its fun to listen to in my opinion, but it is definately not a great song to be introduced to if you want to have a taste of Deftones for the first time.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm 

Odovacar wrote:
I really like White Pony and that's about it from their discography. I've listened to their two prior albums and it just never sat well with me even though I used to be heavy into nu-metal while in high school.

White Pony is their magnum work, Adrenaline is a good album, but I dont always go back to it always, Koi No Yokan and Diamond Eyes are amazing albums by them. I used to listen to a lot of nu metal back then, but Deftones is the only band I listen to that was from the nu metal labels that to in a daily basis. They amaze me so much.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

MetallicaTrueFan wrote:
I don't really care if some of my favorite bands are on this site or not. I am here having fun with conversations and the metal community. I have my own definition of Metal which is something I will keep to myself.

On Deftones... I feel like they are probably the best band to come out of the Nu Metal movement. They are a unique combination of shoegazing, dream pop, hardcore, rap, djent, metal, and even ambients. They seem to be the most artful band to come out of the movement (unless you want to count the Japanese bands). I think they are a great band all together with great albums like Around The Fur, White Pony, Saturday Night Wrist, Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yoken.

I dont either, but I also like sparking conversations as well, I consider Deftones metal, but I dont really care if they get listed here. I like it when they go punishing, like My Own Summer, and very melodic like the song 976-Evil, I like all of their albums, even Adrenaline.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:05 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
This band is easily the best of the nu-metal bands because they only really had obvious nu-metal elements here and there and gradually shed most of them. They're really good when they go for that weird huge dream pop sound. I actually have phases where I just kinda forget about this band for a while until I'm reminded again that they're good. The debut never did a whole lot for me, but I really loved Around the Fur in middle school and then was super into White Pony when that came out. By the time the self-titled came out I kind of had stopped caring about the band completely, but then jumped back on board for Saturday Night Wrist, which was mostly pretty good. Haven't listened to the most recent three though...I guess I should give those a whirl.

They are the best that came out from nu metal. They fusion so well dream pop and shoegaze with the metal elements. They are on heavy rotation when I listen to them, along with bands like Zyklon, The Project Hate, Emperor, Nero Di Marte and Azarath. Saturday Night Wrist is one of my favorite albums by them, and sadly the last to feature Chi Cheng (if you exclude the still unreleased Eros), I liked the self-titled, which I think Stephen's guitar tone extremely strong with that 7-string. You should take a good listen to the album Diamond Eyes, Stephen goes Meshuggah in some songs, Koi No Yokan is a very dynamic album, and Gore is very well done too. They have never failed me.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:10 pm 

Great band, love them. Top 10 favorite. Koi, Adrenaline and White Pony are my favs. Gore was a bore though.

Another underrated great song:

Last FM

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I've listened or tried listening to White Pony and the self-titled in full. Both are a near perfect 50-50 blend of really damn good rock songs and slogs of boredom. I'm rarely in the mood for them for that reason but they've released enough stunning songs in their career to make more than an album's worth, so I typically just set a best-of playlist on iTunes and let it run when I want to hear them.

"Change in the House of Flies," "Be Quiet and Drive," and "Knife Party" are my favorites, with "Change" especially affecting me a lot when I was in grade and high school. "My Own Summer," "Digital Bath," "Pink Maggit," "Passenger," "Needles and Pins," and "Hole in the Earth" are all good too.

The White Pony album is a great intro to anyone who wants to check them out. White Pony is the album when they started to get experimental, which I really liked. Hole In The Earth was the first song I ever listened to, and like I said in a previous post, it truly impacted me who melodic and heavy a band can be when I saw and heard their music video for that song, same when I first saw the music video of July by Katatonia (my introduction to them), impacted by Jonas' vocals and Anders' screams and riffs, as well as the rest of the band. Digital Bath is one of the best songs I ever listened to, it was perfect to listen to when I had a crush on this cute gothic girl, to bad she did not pay attention to me or any of my friends who were trying to get at her. Knife Party was amazing too, I could spend so much time talking about every individual song by Deftones.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:15 pm 

alexo666 wrote:
Great band, love them. Top 10 favorite. Koi, Adrenaline and White Pony are my favs. Gore was a bore though.

Another underrated great song:

I love them too, All great albums you listed, and that song was great. I really liked the song Phantom Bride from the album Gore, besides the fact that it is good, or because Jerry Cantrell is in it, but because a girl that I liked told me she loved that song, and it reminds me of her.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Not a fan.

Im fine with your opinion.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:13 am 

MasterVortex7 wrote:
You should take a good listen to the album Diamond Eyes, Stephen goes Meshuggah in some songs,

That's too bad, since Meshuggah blows ass. I listened to Gore a few times and was surprised by it. For some reason I expected the band to lose heaviness as they excised more of the latent nu-metal elements, but it's still pretty damn loud/heavy. Lots of shoegaze/Pumpkins/HUM vibes in there, and maybe bits of post-hardcore as well. Very solid album and thankfully it sounds nothing like Meshuggah. I'll get around to the two prior albums sometime soonish.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:07 am 

They're hit-and-miss. Obviously I don't care for their nu-metal works, but I have very fond memories of the self-titled and White Pony. After that, I've heard every album once, and I haven't felt the urge to revisit. Seems like their vocalist really started losing his charm, as well. I recall that he sounded pretty terrible on the latest album.

A frustrating band in that they came close to brilliance quite often, but even at their best they failed to hold it up for more than a couple of songs per album, and sometimes even descended rapidly into rubbish from that mid-song. They were the unwitting pioneers of that heavy, metallic shoegazing sound. The thick, rich, downtuned wall of guitars, dynamic drumming and warbling, high-pitched vocals were definitely ahead of their time in the early 00s. I think the guitarist's downtuned 7-strings were quite exceptional at the time, too. I think he played way down in F#, which is the sort of tuning that rose to prominence with djent guitarists and the like - 10 year later.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
MasterVortex7 wrote:
You should take a good listen to the album Diamond Eyes, Stephen goes Meshuggah in some songs,

That's too bad, since Meshuggah blows ass. I listened to Gore a few times and was surprised by it. For some reason I expected the band to lose heaviness as they excised more of the latent nu-metal elements, but it's still pretty damn loud/heavy. Lots of shoegaze/Pumpkins/HUM vibes in there, and maybe bits of post-hardcore as well. Very solid album and thankfully it sounds nothing like Meshuggah. I'll get around to the two prior albums sometime soonish.

Gore was a surprising album. Shoegaze is one of my favorite genres in this moments, so it was easy to get into some of the songs by Deftones. I could hear the bits of post-hardcore in the song When Girls Telephone Boys, which is one of their heaviest songs by the way. Koi No Yokan was a great album, so if you get to listen to that album, prepare yourself for a trip!

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
They're hit-and-miss. Obviously I don't care for their nu-metal works, but I have very fond memories of the self-titled and White Pony. After that, I've heard every album once, and I haven't felt the urge to revisit. Seems like their vocalist really started losing his charm, as well. I recall that he sounded pretty terrible on the latest album.

A frustrating band in that they came close to brilliance quite often, but even at their best they failed to hold it up for more than a couple of songs per album, and sometimes even descended rapidly into rubbish from that mid-song. They were the unwitting pioneers of that heavy, metallic shoegazing sound. The thick, rich, downtuned wall of guitars, dynamic drumming and warbling, high-pitched vocals were definitely ahead of their time in the early 00s. I think the guitarist's downtuned 7-strings were quite exceptional at the time, too. I think he played way down in F#, which is the sort of tuning that rose to prominence with djent guitarists and the like - 10 year later.

Good thing that Hole In The Earth was the first song I listened to them, because that song was great! If it was Pink Cellphone, Anniversary of A Uninteresting Event, or Tempest, I might have not gotten into them. I heard many good and bad comments of that album, but to me, it was well done. So far, they havent done a terrible album in my opinion. I enjoy the combination of the melody of shoegaze and the heaviness of metal, as cliche as it sounds here. Chino Moreno has stated that when he listened to the album Loveless by My Bloody Valentine (I like that band by the way) he wanted Deftones to achieve that wall of guitar sound, and they did it. They are unique in my opinion for achieving their own sound, which I like very much. That 7 string sound on their self-titled is very sharp in my opinion.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm 

Deftones is amazing when they drop all their nu metal tendencies, which to me was minimal. I think them and System of A Down were just bands that popped up during the wrong period. Maybe because they didn't want to alienate their new found fan base, they just kept quiet about their nu metal label. So that probably caused them to subconsciously insert nu metal influences in some tracks.

But their experimental (?) shoegazey, post-hardcore, alt-rock bits are pretty good.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 pm 

Deftones rules and I'd say Saturday Night Wrist is their best album, as long as you forget that Pink Cellphone exists. I also really love the "trilogy" formed by Xerxes, Sextape and Entombed.

And yo, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event is one of their best songs. Reminds me of a snowy afternoon.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 am 

As a metal band, they don't make the cut, but when not viewing them through the lens of metal, I consider them a perfectly decent band - same with SOAD.

LordFashHeart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 pm 

Teenybopper metal, likes them when I was 15, find them cringey as fuck now.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

Electric Death wrote:
Deftones is amazing when they drop all their nu metal tendencies, which to me was minimal. I think them and System of A Down were just bands that popped up during the wrong period. Maybe because they didn't want to alienate their new found fan base, they just kept quiet about their nu metal label. So that probably caused them to subconsciously insert nu metal influences in some tracks.

But their experimental (?) shoegazey, post-hardcore, alt-rock bits are pretty good.

I like them also when they were considered nu metal, but I always thought Deftones, System of A Down and Slipknot to be their own identity and if they became popular in some other time, they wouldn't be considered nu metal, they were labelled nu metal because of the time they came out. I always liked it when Deftones has those shoegazey parts too. They mix it very well with the metal elements.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:17 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Deftones rules and I'd say Saturday Night Wrist is their best album, as long as you forget that Pink Cellphone exists. I also really love the "trilogy" formed by Xerxes, Sextape and Entombed.

And yo, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event is one of their best songs. Reminds me of a snowy afternoon.

Saturday Night Wrist had such a ethereal vibe around the whole album, the first song I ever listened to from Deftones was from that album, and I still enjoy it to this day. Xerxes, Entombed and especially Sextape are great songs.

What I meant when I mentioned Anniversary of A Uninteresting Event, I didn't mean it was terrible, it is a great song, just that I think that if I heard that song as the first taste from Deftones to me, I think I wouldn't have sparked a interest to keep digging throught their catalog, to me it reminds me of a rainy day, other than that, I enjoy so much their albums.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:18 pm 

Wyrmbane wrote:
As a metal band, they don't make the cut, but when not viewing them through the lens of metal, I consider them a perfectly decent band - same with SOAD.

They aren't considered metal by many, I think they are, but that is my personal opinion, and System of A Down was one of the first rock bands I ever listened to, and they have a special place in my mind when it comes to music.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am 

To be perfectly honest I really hate 90's "alternative metal" or "nu metal" bands. They fall into that category and so I most certainly think they are a shit band.

I think genre determines everything.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 pm 

Awful band.

Chino Moreno should be Anders Friden's favourite vocalist in "rock" as he's the only person to have a voice more irritating. That faux impassioned breathy thing he does - fucking awful.

Last edited by Conan Troutman on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:38 pm 

What is their best album to start with and how is the sound quality of the records?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 pm 

Some great blabbermouth worthy comments in here. Real true neanderthal grievances.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
What is their best album to start with and how is the sound quality of the records?

Depends what's more your style. All of their albums have good, clean production except the first one, but even that should be no problem for a metalhead to get into sound-wise. Basically the earlier stuff has more of the nu-metal leanings and rapped vocals and stuff, and they shed more of those elements with each subsequent album. White Pony is generally considered their "breakthrough' in the sense of being their first really artsy record, though Around the Fur was a pretty big hit and has some good tunes on it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

Depends what's more your style. All of their albums have good, clean production except the first one, but even that should be no problem for a metalhead to get into sound-wise. Basically the earlier stuff has more of the nu-metal leanings and rapped vocals and stuff, and they shed more of those elements with each subsequent album. White Pony is generally considered their "breakthrough' in the sense of being their first really artsy record, though Around the Fur was a pretty big hit and has some good tunes on it.

My first one was White Pony and while it's a great record, it took me a while to get used to it. I would personally suggest some of their newer stuff, maybe Koi No Yokan - I always found the heavier tracks quite appealing to my taste for riffs.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 am 

I have a soft spot for Deftones for a number of reasons. First off is nostalgia, I can't even listen to a song on White Pony without thinking I'm back at a high school party and Saturday Night Wrist brings back a lot of kinky memories (I'll leave it at that haha). Second is that a lot of their music is really solid! The era of Saturday Night Wrist to Koi No Yokan is by far my favorite era and i don't really care for their earlier nu-metal stuff since I have never even remotely liked nu-metal. There were a few good songs on the first albums but they are the minority of that era and most songs just sound like typical 90s alt-rock and nu-metal. As for White Pony I am split on it because I only like a few songs but I really like them and I have to try to block out the blurry high school memories to actually listen to them. I've never really listened to Gore but I've checked it out and it never clicked with me.

Overall what draws me in is their ethereal shoegaze/dreampop style that is great for just chilling or on long drives. What turns me off is the nu-metal vibes and some of their fanbase haha.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 pm 

I never grew up listening to the band so nostalgia ain't a factor. I only really sat down with Gore and I personally find it quite breathtaking, not at all what I was expecting but I should've known better than to assume. Ethereal and airy, great for calming the nerves. I'll work my way back especially if Koi No Yokan is in the same vein. If White Pony is the breakthrough defining album I'll probably blind buy it.

I had no problem enjoying System of a Down and I only gave them a chance the last year. I actually own all their shit save Toxicity now (iunno why, probably because it can be found for >$5). I guess the nu/alternative shit had some diamonds in the rough.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:59 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

Depends on how tolerable of nu metal you are.

More tolerable:
White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Koi No Yokan
Saturday night Wrist

Less tolerable:
Diamond
Koi
Saturday
Deftones

So go with Diamond Eyes first.

Last FM

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:07 pm 

Bringing this thread back up, saves making a new one.

This band alongside System of a Down & Drowning Pool were essential bands for me getting into metal.
Favourite album is "Diamond Eyes", fantastic album from start to finish.

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 pm 

Great band. Got into them in my mid-20's so I'd like to think there's not much in the way of nostalgia goggles going on there. Favorite album would have to be Around the Fur, every track has its own vibe and the whole thing front to back flows so well. Ohms is one of their strongest albums IMO, it's the best of the post-Chi releases and sometimes I might call it my second favorite Deftones album overall. Excited to hear what they've been cooking with their upcoming release, though I'm sad they're not keeping on Terry Date as the producer, he made Ohms sound so good sonically.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:12 am 

Reid wrote:
Great band. Got into them in my mid-20's so I'd like to think there's not much in the way of nostalgia goggles going on there. Favorite album would have to be Around the Fur, every track has its own vibe and the whole thing front to back flows so well. Ohms is one of their strongest albums IMO, it's the best of the post-Chi releases and sometimes I might call it my second favorite Deftones album overall. Excited to hear what they've been cooking with their upcoming release, though I'm sad they're not keeping on Terry Date as the producer, he made Ohms sound so good sonically.

"Ohms" is great, however had every song been on the same level as the album track it would have been their best album for sure.

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm 

I think they suck and I can barely hear the “metal” in their sound.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:24 am 

Love Deftones. I don't consider them a metalband, but I love their sound. Very distinct and unique, interesting songwriting, great atmosphere.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 pm 

I have only heard a handful of songs but I've really enjoyed them. Before I moved away, me and a close friend would spend hours, several nights a week smoking and drinking and listening to music full blast through his speaker set. Deftones really flourished in that setting and were a great segue between the shoegaze, alt-rock and metal we used to listen to. I recently re-discovered them and I've really enjoyed their singles. I should probably check out White Pony or Around the Fur in full sometime.

Gullhryndr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:27 am 

I think they're one of the better bands of the era, judging by the amount I was exposed to them (like 3 songs that came up on shuffle/the radio). I think that's why they're coming back- they're more accessible to people to people who are into the aesthetic. Musically, they're pretty good, but not good enough to sit down and listen to an album. Be Quiet and Drive is a jam. To me, they're like Pearl Jam- I don't mind their music when it comes on, it's better than a lot of music that could come on, but the only time I'm going to look them up is if they're stuck in my head.

Solid 3/5 band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2