Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 pm 

guess it's true that nobody really quits, bummed a marlboro red off a guy earlier today.
haven't bought any in a good while since they changed the law here to 21, but always switched between Marlboro Red/Midnights and American Spirits Yellow. now i just smoke a pipe, got some shitty tobacco right now but going to put in an order for some cherry flavored stuff whenever i have some extra cash. donate to my smoking habit?

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 am 

I smoke Camel filters when I am in the States, in Canada I smoke Viceroy reds...

while still tobacco related, nothing beats a lip of Copehagen and a Camel going at the same time

a h a l
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 am 

Buy tobacco from a somali mans kiosk. 5$ box. Hurts like razors blades when you inhale the smoke.
Me and a friend used to joke around that it was tnt muslim tobacco but a cig has exploded 2 times now in my face while smoking it. Scary.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 pm 

I currently smoke American Spirit Blue (full flavor) and Marlboro additive free (blue pack).

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm 

Has to be rollies. Can't stand the taste of a packet of fags, and I like the ritual of rolling one up. That being said I only have about 3 a week and usually with a beer.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:51 pm 

I recently tried and purchased two packs of Heimat "Tabak & Hanf" (Tobacco & Hemp). These cigarettes are made of additive free tobacco and cannabidiol (CBD). These CBD cigarettes will cost you 19.90 CHF a pack (~20 USD). The taste is fine and they last as long as American Spirit. My favorite cigarettes currently are American Spirit Blue, Marlboro Red. Heimat CBD are not bad but expensive.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 pm 

Man, I miss smoking. :(

I just went with American Spirits, per my smoker friends' preferences, intermittently throughout my mid- to late-20's. Thankfully I never got badly addicted - I'd usually smoke only three or four times a day. It helped me cope with stress and depression, and was a fun thing to do with the friends I had at the time, and on my drives to and from school and such. These days if the craving hits and I don't feel like working through it, I go with a single cheap cigar instead, dorky as that may be. I guess it's less irresponsible than smoking a whole pack of cigarettes just because it's there.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm 

I like pipe tobacco sometimes. Not very often though.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am 

When I first started smoking as a teen, I smoked a lot of wine-flavored Black & Milds. I then migrated over to Marlboro Reds and have stuck with those over the years. I do like Camels, but for whatever reason I always buy Reds. I had a brief phase where I smoked pipe tobacco, and I do miss the ritual of packing a pipe and whatnot.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am 

I used to be a big American Spirit man , but I've not so long ago switched to Pyramid what with the tax increases in both PA and WV , latter state being where I usually buy my smokes .

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm 

Marlboro Menthol shorts. The taste of the those damn cigarettes is very good.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:39 am 

Not a smoker. Only tried a couple of cigarettes in my entire life many years ago. Both were Marlboro. They left a bad stench on my fingers and didn't give me much of a feel. The first few puffs felt nice because your head feels "lighter" or wtv but then I just found myself trying to finish off the whole cigarette for the sake of it. I was curious about why so many people seem to smoke, so I had to try it out for myself... yes I know a lot of people get addicted this way when it comes to this stuff, but not me. Two cigarettes only. Didn't see the appeal in it. I'm honestly surprised tobacco is still popular after all these years. I remember being in 9th grade and NOBODY smoking, and then going to 10th grade in a new school a few months later and EVERYBODY smoking. Well, not "everybody", but about 60%-70% of my HS must have consisted of smokers.

Funny thing is, EVERY single smoker I've met regrets picking up the habit in the first place. Also often they try to quit and fall back into the habit shortly after. I guess tobacco is relaxing for people? Because I don't see why else people would spend a lot of money on cigarettes just to basically inhale smoke. I can at least understand alcohol and drugs despite those also being pretty bad for you, but those at least offer you some escapism and wild stories. Everyone has very funny drunk stories. Tobacco...you just smoke it. SO what, does it relax you or something? Genuine question. It's something I never understood about smokers. I notice most people start to smoke when they begin going out to bars and other places for drinks. Apparently smoking makes you look "cooler" and more "adult" when you're 16-19 years old.

I'm also glad that, since 2007, you can't smoke in restaurants, cafés, malls, etc. here. I hated going to a restaurant and everyone in the tables around mine smoking. And remember not every restaurant is big enough to have a separate section for smokers, so for many of them back then the entire place was a smoker's section.

But yeah, tobacco seems to be doing well still despite all of the anti-tobacco campaigns and awareness and young people thinking pot is the cool thing today. I dunno how they do it, but they seem to manage to.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 pm 

So, my usual brand was recently bought by Philip Morris, and was rebranded as Chesterfield. So, it seems I favour Chesterfield Blue now. Which is right I guess, since literary James Bond likes those, and also the characters in both "True Romance" and "Reservoir Dogs" favour them.

And who am I to debate Quentin Tarantino's and Ian Fleming's arguments?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am 

Festivus wrote:
Not a smoker. Only tried a couple of cigarettes in my entire life many years ago. Both were Marlboro. They left a bad stench on my fingers and didn't give me much of a feel. The first few puffs felt nice because your head feels "lighter" or wtv but then I just found myself trying to finish off the whole cigarette for the sake of it. I was curious about why so many people seem to smoke, so I had to try it out for myself... yes I know a lot of people get addicted this way when it comes to this stuff, but not me. Two cigarettes only. Didn't see the appeal in it. I'm honestly surprised tobacco is still popular after all these years. I remember being in 9th grade and NOBODY smoking, and then going to 10th grade in a new school a few months later and EVERYBODY smoking. Well, not "everybody", but about 60%-70% of my HS must have consisted of smokers.

Funny thing is, EVERY single smoker I've met regrets picking up the habit in the first place. Also often they try to quit and fall back into the habit shortly after. I guess tobacco is relaxing for people? Because I don't see why else people would spend a lot of money on cigarettes just to basically inhale smoke. I can at least understand alcohol and drugs despite those also being pretty bad for you, but those at least offer you some escapism and wild stories. Everyone has very funny drunk stories. Tobacco...you just smoke it. SO what, does it relax you or something? Genuine question. It's something I never understood about smokers. I notice most people start to smoke when they begin going out to bars and other places for drinks. Apparently smoking makes you look "cooler" and more "adult" when you're 16-19 years old.

I'm also glad that, since 2007, you can't smoke in restaurants, cafés, malls, etc. here. I hated going to a restaurant and everyone in the tables around mine smoking. And remember not every restaurant is big enough to have a separate section for smokers, so for many of them back then the entire place was a smoker's section.

But yeah, tobacco seems to be doing well still despite all of the anti-tobacco campaigns and awareness and young people thinking pot is the cool thing today. I dunno how they do it, but they seem to manage to.

I smoke simply because I like the taste of my preferred brand ( s ) of cigarette . As for all the negative health effects , to my way of thinking one is eventually going to die anyways , so one might as well die as a result of doing something they like . :-D

I respect your opinions as a ( presumably ) anti smoking individual and I really have nothing to type with regard to your country's policies , but I will state that as an American smoker I'm rather displeased with the ( IMHO ) excessively anti smoker policies of my country's authorities .

Last edited by Lionel Fauquier on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am 

I'd like to pose a question to my fellow smokers by the way , which is do you buy by the pack or by the carton ? Personally I'm a carton at a time man , since it saves me time and ( in the long run ) money .

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:46 pm 

By the pack. I'm too broke to buy a CARTON* at once.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:57 pm 

By the pack. Mostly because I've noticed an increase in the amount of cigarettes I smoke when I have several packs lying around. Not always, but frequent enough to be noticeable.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:16 pm 

By the pack. However I've purchased a carton of Marlboro Red in January. I've tried several brands in the past few months.
Marlboro Red, Parisienne Rouge, American Spirit Blue. I prefer full flavor cigarettes.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm 

I buy a carton at a time when I'm up that way. "That way" being in the direction of Austin proper where I pass this one gas station that has decent carton prices. Most places simply charge you for 10 packs. I smoke Marlboro Lights exclusively these days, but I used to be a Camel man.

No joke that American Spirits burn longer. My mother used to smoke those, and they'll easily go 25% longer than a Marlboro.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:43 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
By the pack. I'm too broke to buy a CARTON* at once.

How much do cigarettes generally cost in Mexico these days by the way ? A friend of mine told me about buying Marlboros for roughly 2 USD while on vacation in Durango a while back , which is mad cheap by American standards .

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm 

AddWittyUsername wrote:
By the pack. Mostly because I've noticed an increase in the amount of cigarettes I smoke when I have several packs lying around. Not always, but frequent enough to be noticeable.

How true is the claim of the EU going into ultra crazy mode with its cigarette tax policy ? I recall reading an article a year back , which stated that the consumption of RYO cigarettes had increased by over 100% as a result of ultra high taxes in the EU .

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:16 pm 

A pack is still only $6 + change here in Texas, but when I lived in New York they were over $10. How much does a pack cost in the EU?

I recall that when I was in Cancun packs were about 50 pesos, or roughly $2.60 US. And that's probably high because it's the touristy part.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm 

It depends where you are in the EU. EU has 28 member states and different prices in each state…
I think a pack of cigarettes is more affordable in central European countries e.g. Hungary or south European countries e.g. Greece.

Eruntalon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm 

Do you guys like smoking pipes?

I quit cigarettes after trying my first pipe tobacco. Slow and more tastefull smoking.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:50 am 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
How much do cigarettes generally cost in Mexico these days by the way ? A friend of mine told me about buying Marlboros for roughly 2 USD while on vacation in Durango a while back , which is mad cheap by American standards .

Marlboro reds, classic Camels and Lucky Strikes reds are about 2.50 USD a pack. Benson & Hedges Gold are 3 USD a pack. 20 cigs packs. Those are the expensive brands.

My brand (which as I mentioned is now Chesterfield) is 2.20 USD a pack with 25 cigarettes. In gringo money, with gringo income, you might think "OMFG THAT'S REAL CHEAP!!!", but if you take into account that minimum wage in Mexico is about 4.5 gringomoneys PER DAY well, believe me, that's expensive.

Also, the price of the cigarettes has skyrocketed in the past years. Five years ago, my brand of smokes was about 70 gringocents a pack with 25 cigarettes. But now the current price... That's harsh on my lungs.

EDIT: There's also cheap line cigarettes, which are "revivalist versions" of old, classic, discontinued Mexican brands that got bought out from the marked by Phillip Morris and British American Tobacco in the early nineties. See, around the late eighties and early nineties, the main brands in the market still were national brands that had been around for lots of time. Some for several decades, others for about a century. Phillip Morris had tried to get a solid place in the market for Marlboro, but the people still favoured local cigarettes (mostly Baronet, Alas/Alitas, Faros, Delicados, Tigres, and Bohemios), so Phillip Morris started to buy out a couple of the local brands and rebranding the original product as one from the Marlboro family, so Marlboro could grow in the market. It really, really did work. So other big cigarette brands started buying out Mexican brands and replacing the original products with their main brands (until recently, Faros and Delicados were the only Mexican brands still in business that hadn't been bought out by a transnational cigarette company. Not so long ago, as I said, my brand, which was Delicados, was bought out and rebranded as Chesterfield. Currently, the only one national brand still in the market, is "Faros"). Now, all those bigger brands are "reviving" those old Mexican brands and releasing them as "economic line" cigarettes. Those are about a dollar each pack of 20 cigarettes. But they're not that good, as one would expect with bottom-of-the-line, nostalgia-induced, cheaper cigarettes.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Last edited by OpsiusCato on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 pm 

Here in Chile cigarettes go from 5 to +6 USD the 20 cig packs, but I don't know how that compares to other countries

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Lionel Fauquier wrote:

Marlboro reds, classic Camels and Lucky Strikes reds are about 2.50 USD a pack. Benson & Hedges Gold are 3 USD a pack. 20 cigs packs. Those are the expensive brands.

My brand (which as I mentioned is now Chesterfield) is 2.20 USD a pack with 25 cigarettes. In gringo money, with gringo income, you might think "OMFG THAT'S REAL CHEAP!!!", but if you take into account that minimum wage in Mexico is about 4.5 gringomoneys PER DAY well, believe me, that's expensive.

Also, the price of the cigarettes has skyrocketed in the past years. Five years ago, my brand of smokes was about 70 gringocents a pack with 25 cigarettes. But now the current price... That's harsh on my lungs.

EDIT: There's also cheap line cigarettes, which are "revivalist versions" of old, classic, discontinued Mexican brands that got bought out from the marked by Phillip Morris and British American Tobacco in the early nineties. See, around the late eighties and early nineties, the main brands in the market still were national brands that had been around for lots of time. Some for several decades, others for about a century. Phillip Morris had tried to get a solid place in the market for Marlboro, but the people still favoured local cigarettes (mostly Baronet, Alas/Alitas, Faros, Delicados, Tigres, and Bohemios), so Phillip Morris started to buy out a couple of the local brands and rebranding the original product as one from the Marlboro family, so Marlboro could grow in the market. It really, really did work. So other big cigarette brands started buying out Mexican brands and replacing the original products with their main brands (until recently, Faros and Delicados were the only Mexican brands still in business that hadn't been bought out by a transnational cigarette company. Not so long ago, as I said, my brand, which was Delicados, was bought out and rebranded as Chesterfield. Currently, the only one national brand still in the market, is "Faros"). Now, all those bigger brands are "reviving" those old Mexican brands and releasing them as "economic line" cigarettes. Those are about a dollar each pack of 20 cigarettes. But they're not that good, as one would expect with bottom-of-the-line, nostalgia-induced, cheaper cigarettes.

Yup us Gringos tend to have it easy when it comes to buying things in poorer countries . :-D

It's a shame to hear that your country's classic brands have been bought out by the multinationals though . I think we might have a few non multinational brands on the market here , but they are far from typical if they exist at all .

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Here in Chile cigarettes go from 5 to +6 USD the 20 cig packs, but I don't know how that compares to other countries

That's actually the same rough figure that smokes go for in US states that don't have high cigarette taxes .

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:29 pm 

Eruntalon wrote:
Do you guys like smoking pipes?

I quit cigarettes after trying my first pipe tobacco. Slow and more tastefull smoking.

I've never actually smoked pipe tobacco , but it definitely is on my bucket list .

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm 

In Croatia, cigarette packs cost about 4 to 4.5 dollars.

Big Dunhill master blend smoker here, also got hold of Silk Cuts which are quite alright. If there's one brand I would love to get hold of though, it's Belomorkanal, which are apparently the strongest in Europe right now. Any Russians know it?

Whenever I can get hold of rollies, I definitely do though.

Metal4ever88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:09 am 

I currently smoke Camel Crush Menthol. I enjoy the intense menthol flavor after crushing the capsule in the filter. When I started smoking 11 years ago, my first brand was Newport. Then I went with Marlboro Menthol since my dad smokes that brand. I got into Camel when I was at a sports bar & a guy from Camel was there giving out free packs. He gave me a pack of Camel Crush & I was hooked immediately. Since then, Camel has been my brand of choice but I do occasionally smoke a Marlboro Red or a Pall Mall Menthol.

If God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Metal4ever88 wrote:
I currently smoke Camel Crush Menthol. I enjoy the intense menthol flavor after crushing the capsule in the filter. When I started smoking 11 years ago, my first brand was Newport. Then I went with Marlboro Menthol since my dad smokes that brand. I got into Camel when I was at a sports bar & a guy from Camel was there giving out free packs. He gave me a pack of Camel Crush & I was hooked immediately. Since then, Camel has been my brand of choice but I do occasionally smoke a Marlboro Red or a Pall Mall Menthol.

How much do Camels go for in your neck of the woods if you don't mind me asking ? Around here their well over 6 bucks a pack last time I checked .

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm 

I would like to get hold of Marlboro True Red. It's a Marlboro Red with additive free tobacco.
I currently smoke American Spirit Blue, pretty good cigarettes. I know that in the United States there are a lot of American Spirit varieties. If I'm not mistaken in Switzerland there are American Spirit Blue (full favor), American Spirit Yellow (light),
American Spirit Orange (ultra-light), American Spirit Green (menthol).

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:39 am 

I kinda got back on smoking. Wish I didn't, but you know how addicts are. I'm sure I've talked about it in this thread before, but my old brand was Camel Blue. I still think they're the closest thing to the "real" flavor out of all the "light" smokes. Like, there's a noticeable difference between Marlboro Red and Gold, but with Camel, the Blues might as well be their full flavored traditional blend. Once I picked it back up I moved to L&M Reds because that's my brother's brand and they're one of the cheaper ones out here, but they burn mega quick and taste like how an ashtray smells (non-smokers are saying "no shit", smokers know what I'm talking about). I figured that if I'm going to slowly kill myself, I might as well shell out the extra cash to get something that actually tastes good, so I moved again and I'm currently on American Spirit Yellow. I started with the Orange because it's been so many years since I worked at a gas station that I forgot which color corresponded to what, and man fuck the orange box. Those fuckers would burn for like 25 minutes, you could drag that shit as hard as you could and the cherry would barely expand. You need to smoke it through a fucking shop-vac, it's like sucking on a pillow. I learned the error of my ways and moved to the Yellow, which is actually pleasurable in taste and hits real smooth. If I happen to be having a super rough day when I go to restock, I'll get the Black, because even after years of smoking, those puppies still give me a headrush like I was a rookie. Strong like the god damned Mountain.

For those who ask about prices in this thread, the Camels would run me about $6.50ish a few years ago, L&Ms are about $5.65, and American Spirits... I'm not actually sure because I always buy them at the same time as something else, but iirc when I worked at the gas station they were like $9.11 and that still sounds about right. If I go a few miles east though all of those prices easily double because the sin tax in Cook County is absolutely fucking bonkers.

EDIT: I went back and read my first post in this thread and I said almost every single thing I said here in damn near the exact same order. I guess some things never change.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 pm 

Marlboro red was my poison of choice for a couple of years before I stopped completely about five and a half years ago. Still I miss smoking real badly. It definitely hurts me not getting into the habit again.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am 

Matyu wrote:
I would like to get hold of Marlboro True Red. It's a Marlboro Red with additive free tobacco.
I currently smoke American Spirit Blue, pretty good cigarettes. I know that in the United States there are a lot of American Spirit varieties. If I'm not mistaken in Switzerland there are American Spirit Blue (full favor), American Spirit Yellow (light),
American Spirit Orange (ultra-light), American Spirit Green (menthol).

American Spirit Blue costs $7.15 plus tax in WV and that state is considered cheap for smokers by American standards . I shudder to think what they might cost in PA these days ...

I'm sorry if I'm boring y'all with my constant blabbering on about price , but I've really had it with all the sin tax BS . To be honest I'd be glad to pay extra income or sales tax if the authorities were to lower the tax on smokes .

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:36 am 

yellow american spirits. ~15 bucks / pk when i was bangin

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm 

Damn, that's gotta be NY/MA prices. Smoked Marlboro Red 100s for like 20 years, went to making my own for a few years, and now I've gotten lazy so it's Pall Mall Red 100s, $5.25 a pack at the 7/11 across the street.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm 

It's $10.10 a pack in RI and $11 in MA right now for Marlboro Reds. I smoke 100s too but only when I drink. Every time I try to slow down the drinking I end up having a ridiculous night guzzling beer and turning my fingers yellow with cigarettes. That once a month thing is still the most fun night of the month though. Fuck stoicism.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm 

I've never smoked cigarettes before, however the smell of them makes me feel like im at a live show. Feels good! :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next