Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cryptic Heretic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:15 am 

I normally smoke Marlboro Reds, I always liked the flavor of them. Lucky Strike Reds are my absolute favorite cigarette, but they are difficult to find, especially in California. Currently I'm stationed in Texas and Marlboro Reds here are around $5 a pack so I'm fine with that.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm 

zonfar wrote:
I've never smoked cigarettes before, however the smell of them makes me feel like im at a live show. Feels good! :)

That's kinda interesting to hear , cause it looks like the trend is for nonsmokers to be rather put off by cigarette smoke these days ...

Of course that could just be my skewed perspective . :-D

Dante95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm 

My weapon of choice is Lucky Strike red. 4 euros per pack here in Greece, so I reguraly sponsor the American cultural imperialism.

headbangersahoy2022
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:47 am 

Very casual smoker. Only smoke when I'm drinking heavily, which is rare.

Lately been using Marlboro Switch. Don't leave that nasty tobacco aftertaste.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 am 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
zonfar wrote:
I've never smoked cigarettes before, however the smell of them makes me feel like im at a live show. Feels good! :)

That's kinda interesting to hear , cause it looks like the trend is for nonsmokers to be rather put off by cigarette smoke these days ...

I guess it would depend on your upbringing and history with it. I remember the smell of distant cigarette smoke as something I'd enjoy while watching fireworks off the coast of Cape Cod or at a fair riding an elephant and eating fried dough.

A close up cigarette smell on clothes reminds me of hugging my dad before bed during the weekend when he used to work long hours all week and I barely ever got to see him.

Inhaling cigarettes reminds me of the early experimentation with my friends (especially that first breath after two weeks without touching them), playing shot pong at an empty school or running from police patrols, getting too drunk and walking campus with people, and so many parties.

Smelling weed smoke from a distance reminds me of finding a fun bunch of people in the woods by campus, meeting new people, that hot girl at work back in the day, and that one kid at the bus stop in middle school who made a ghetto out of a water bottle.

Inhaled and. . . I don't know what's going on. :o

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
Lionel Fauquier wrote:
zonfar wrote:

I guess it would depend on your upbringing and history with it. I remember the smell of distant cigarette smoke as something I'd enjoy while watching fireworks off the coast of Cape Cod or at a fair riding an elephant and eating fried dough.

A close up cigarette smell on clothes reminds me of hugging my dad before bed during the weekend when he used to work long hours all week and I barely ever got to see him.

Inhaling cigarettes reminds me of the early experimentation with my friends (especially that first breath after two weeks without touching them), playing shot pong at an empty school or running from police patrols, getting too drunk and walking campus with people, and so many parties.

Smelling weed smoke from a distance reminds me of finding a fun bunch of people in the woods by campus, meeting new people, that hot girl at work back in the day, and that one kid at the bus stop in middle school who made a ghetto out of a water bottle.

Inhaled and. . . I don't know what's going on. :o

Yeah upbringing must definitely be an important factor , though interestingly enough some of the most fanatical anti smokers out there come from smoking families or are ex smokers themselves ...

FWIW I'm all for having smoke free spaces and all , it's just the fanatics ( on both sides for that matter ) that put me off . I really don't understand why some people insist that all public places must conform to their opinion on allowing smoking , but I'm getting ahead of myself ( again ) . :-D

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:42 pm 

I'm addicted to cigarettes (or nicotine) and I really hate it. I've tried to quit a couple of times but was not successful. Whoever thinks smoking cigs is cool is a fucking idiot.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:55 pm 

Finally quit cigarettes months ago. Was tired of them - the cost, the smell, the health implications, all that jazz. Never looked back, though I am using a vape now and love it.

My collection

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:44 am 

Me too - 4 months now and never going back.i smoked a pack a day for 20 years, and I'm so happy to say that I'm finally free of that.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:06 am 

Are you vaping at all, or complete cold turkey? Just curious, either way awesome move man.

My collection

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:41 am 

Vaping is stupid and douchey and obnoxious and everybody will get some brand new cancer in 20 years once we actually learn the implications and I hate everything about it and everybody who does it.

Also I'm pulling on my vape right now and it's wonderful and tastes like custard cake and I can do it inside without making a mess or making the place reek and it's the main reason I've been able to stay off smokes for a good while now.

The world is stupid.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:11 pm 

I enjoy smoking cigarettes. I smoke a few cigarettes a day and some days I do not smoke at all.
As I said before, one of my favorite brand of cigarettes is American Spirit Blue. I enjoy them, very satisfying cigs.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:41 pm 

The best substitute for cigs is snus. No contest. And you still get your nicotine, so you're still preventing dementia (one of the benefits of nicotine use).

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:47 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Everybody's gotta go some time, might as well look cool as fuck doing it.

There is nothing "cool" about smoking cigarettes. That's a very ignorant statement that you made.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:03 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
Everybody's gotta go some time, might as well look cool as fuck doing it.

There is nothing "cool" about smoking cigarettes. That's a very ignorant statement that you made.

"Here is a thread I disagree with, so I'm going to jump in and let people know about it!"

People like you really are the worst.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:14 pm 

waiguoren, I smoke cigarettes. I absolutely hate fucking smoking but I'm an addict basically. If you really think smoking cigarettes is cool then you are a fucking dumbass. No questions about it and you need to use your common sense.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 pm 

I'm not trying to be an asshole but QUIT while you can. I mean there is nothing cool about smoking formaldehyde which is in cigarettes along with developing cancer or emphysema. There is really nothing cool about that shit. I really wish that I had never picked up this habit.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 pm 

Well at least you'll never get dementia, so there's that.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
waiguoren, I smoke cigarettes. I absolutely hate fucking smoking but I'm an addict basically. If you really think smoking cigarettes is cool then you are a fucking dumbass. No questions about it and you need to use your common sense.

I'm with you in this one, I smoke but I wish I had never picked up this stupid habit.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:30 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

I'm with you in this one, I smoke but I wish I had never picked up this stupid habit.

You know I ended up quitting for about three weeks. I was so fucking happy, but then later into the third week I was having the worst cravings ever. I absolutely needed a cig and I ended up smoking.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:32 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

You know I ended up quitting for about three weeks. I was so fucking happy, but then later into the third week I was having the worst cravings ever. I absolutely needed a cig and I ended up smoking.

I've mentioned previously that using snus is an excellent - if not the best - way to stop smoking. You guys should look into it because it works.

That said, I don't think this is the place for such a conversation. Let smokers smoke and be happy. People enjoy different things, and who are you to tell them what they are doing is wrong?

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:00 pm 

I guess it's the part about smoking being cool which gets me but you have a point waiguoren. I shouldn't judge people by what they do. I'm just really having a difficult time understanding why anyone would try to be cool by smoking a cig. I mean it's a bit childish, right? Kind of an exercise in futility in my opinion.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:20 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Are you vaping at all, or complete cold turkey? Just curious, either way awesome move man.

Yep, used the patches and a vape. Finished the patches now, on very low nicotine vape now. I turn 40 in January and really wanted to have this knocked on the head by the time that rolls around.

It's just not socially acceptable anymore, and much as I resent outside forces dictating my behaviour it was the expense that really started pissing me off. I was the only smoker in my office of 40 people for example, and people would make snide comments and lame jokes about it.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 am 

Me I turned 44 this month, and went straight to the vape on 6mg nicotine which has worked unbelievably well. The hardest sell was convincing the missus to give up the death sticks, but she is now also a convert. The amount of money we have been saving is rather astonishing, given that the price of cigs here in Australia seems to increases by about $10 every five minutes.

My collection

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm not trying to be an asshole but QUIT while you can. I mean there is nothing cool about smoking formaldehyde.

Really? Because smoking formaldehyde sounds pretty fucking metal.

I joke, only half-joke. Because I understand where you're coming from. Very obvious and commonly accepted and established health science out there has made it very clear to us that smoking can have some pretty adverse health effects. But at the same time, you kinda sound like an anti-smoking/anti-drug PSA. You know those don't work on anybody right?

We all know it's bad for us. Frankly it seems quite self-righteous for so many trying to come in here and 'smoke-shame'. Leave us be on the cold sidewalk you've cast us out to, but could you please not shout at us while we're out there? Thank you.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:13 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
Smoking formaldehyde sounds pretty fucking metal.

I utterly, totally, completely concur in agreeance.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:30 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm not trying to be an asshole but QUIT while you can. I mean there is nothing cool about smoking formaldehyde.

Really? Because smoking formaldehyde sounds pretty fucking metal.

I joke, only half-joke. Because I understand where you're coming from. Very obvious and commonly accepted and established health science out there has made it very clear to us that smoking can have some pretty adverse health effects. But at the same time, you kinda sound like an anti-smoking/anti-drug PSA. You know those don't work on anybody right?

We all know it's bad for us. Frankly it seems quite self-righteous for so many trying to come in here and 'smoke-shame'. Leave us be on the cold sidewalk you've cast us out to, but could you please not shout at us while we're out there? Thank you.

Yeah I have no problem with non/anti smokers as such , but all this crusading about smoking being bad can very much grind my gears . Some people on that side of the fence go as far as to agitate for a ban on smoking in ALL public places , which I'd rather not even comment on . :annoyed:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 pm 

As a smoker (I'm two months smoke free right now but you know how addiction is, I could be right back at it tomorrow for all I know), smoking should just be fucking banned. Straight out, completely illegal. There are precisely zero positive consequences for smoking cigarettes. Legit all they do is hurt you, hurt people around you, and prop up/support one of the most outwardly evil corporations this side of the diamond industry. It'll never happen because the tobacco industry is too powerful and the practice is too normalized, but "smoker's rights" are a fucking farce and society would be immediately improved if it was outlawed.

That said, LOL at the dude earlier for thinking anybody starts smoking because they think it's a good idea. We all know it's bad.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 am 

BastardHead wrote:
There are precisely zero positive consequences for smoking cigarettes.

Huh, interesting. Curious to see the recent studies saying, for example, that nicotine has now been found not to help prevent dementia, and especially ones where they don't misinterpret the odds ratios as risk ratios.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:31 am 

Banning it is not the solution as that leads to a very slippery slope and also won't work. The best solution, or deterrent I think because I'm not sure what exactly we're solving as smoking rates consistently decrease on an annual basis in the West, is to raise the prices to ridiculous levels. But if you are for banning cigarettes because they are harm people, then surely you have to want a ban on alcohol, weed (where it is legal), junk food, and so on. I think a good argument can be made that alcohol is equally (and possibly more) damaging than cigarettes, and junk food obviously is, unless the myriad of health problems that obesity causes isn't as concerning as the damage done from cigarettes.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 pm 

In the beginning I just wanted to talk about our favorite brands of cigarettes.
I do not want to debate about whether it's good or bad to smoke.
I think smoking is an adult pleasure. I do not encourage to smoke.
I enjoy smoking cigarettes and I also enjoy smoking weed.
Those who talk about banning or raising prices, go fuck yourself.

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 am 

Smoking cigarettes is one of the worst things you can do for your health. The evidence is also mounting E-cigarettes aren't exactly the best thing to do for your health either.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
As a smoker (I'm two months smoke free right now but you know how addiction is, I could be right back at it tomorrow for all I know), smoking should just be fucking banned. Straight out, completely illegal. There are precisely zero positive consequences for smoking cigarettes. Legit all they do is hurt you, hurt people around you, and prop up/support one of the most outwardly evil corporations this side of the diamond industry. It'll never happen because the tobacco industry is too powerful and the practice is too normalized, but "smoker's rights" are a fucking farce and society would be immediately improved if it was outlawed.

That said, LOL at the dude earlier for thinking anybody starts smoking because they think it's a good idea. We all know it's bad.

Well the lawmakers out in Hawaii more or less agree with you : https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47129503

I think I'm just gonna keep my thoughts to myself with regard as to what I think of that . :-D

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 pm 

I recently received a pack of Marlboro Gold from Hungary. These cigarettes are not bad but not as good as a good old Red.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:52 pm 

Matyu wrote:
I recently received a pack of Marlboro Gold from Hungary. These cigarettes are not bad but not as good as a good old Red.

Which European country do you think produces the best cigarettes ? I've heard really good things about Greece and Bulgaria in particular , but I'm curious to hear some more .

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 am 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
Which European country do you think produces the best cigarettes ? I've heard really good things about Greece and Bulgaria in particular , but I'm curious to hear some more .

I mostly purchase my cigarettes in Switzerland and I would say that they are good.
I rarely smoke cigarettes from other European countries. I cannot say.

brad265
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:10 pm 

Gauloises. I got hooked on those years ago, when I lived in San Diego, when I visited an import tobacco shop.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3