Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:02 am 

Does anyone else here have familiarity with Macs and Itunes?

I forget exactly what model of Mac laptop I have but I'm having these issues:

1) First, for the first time EVER tonight I am just plugging in my external disc drives and trying to import CDs and it's not even accepting them

2) I am constantly losing tons of albums/tracks somehow.

I had EVERYTHING I had imported.

Then I had to delete some intetnionaly to make more room.

And now there's like TWO HUNDRED albums which appear to be on my itunes, but when I click on them exclamation points pop up saying that I don't have these tracks/albums imported.

Now I am having to import half my collection over again which is a pain in the ass when you own like 1,000 discs (I meant I'm having to reimport like two hundred albums.

Does anyone here know how to deal with thee issues??

Thanks

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
And now there's like TWO HUNDRED albums which appear to be on my itunes, but when I click on them exclamation points pop up saying that I don't have these tracks/albums imported.

In my experience, this occurs when the software is looking for the files in a place that's different from where you keep them.

For example, you may have your files on an external drive, but the software is pointing at the internal drive. Or another example, you might have your files in folder A on your internal drive, but the software is pointing towards folder B on your internal drive. That adjustment is made under Preferences.

Then (I believe) once that adjustment is made, you click the songs and it'll either automatically find them or open a dialogue box to locate the files. Stating the obvious: if your music files are on an external drive, then that drive needs to be hooked up and powered on in order for it to work.

I've had this happen when I open the software without my external drive connected (which is how I manage my files). It has occasionally automatically redirected to the internal drive when I do that. Then I'll rip a CD or add digital album, and it will create that library folder on the internal drive that it was newly redirected to.

It's still a hassle to resolve, but you shouldn't have to re-rip everything so long as you have the original rips somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Paper Machetes

My old metal bands:

Dark Sacrament Cold Blank Stare Coagulated Blood Obliteration

Reply to topic