Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

Well yeah "falling down" really isn't a great chorus. Speaking of that, Maiden tend to write repetitive choruses...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Napero wrote:
Indeed! One of the most likable people on the board agreeing with one of the most German ones. Wow!

I don't think Jonpo is all that German.

Don't flatter yourself.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

Besides, the most likable person on the board is me.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 pm 

The nicest user here is MikeyC imo. Got zero complains of him. I'm yet to see him angry.

acid_bukakke seems nice as well. Also got zero complains.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm 

You're confusing nice with likable.

Derigin: First of all he said ONE OF, secondly your whole torso is a fucking upside triangle and I'm shaped like used pillows just let me HAVE THIS ONE MAN!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
You're confusing nice with likable.

Derigin: First of all he said ONE OF, secondly your whole torso is a fucking upside triangle and I'm shaped like used pillows just let me HAVE THIS ONE MAN!

There's a correlation, though. The two users I named are pretty likeable, imo. Who doesn't like MikeyC?

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 pm 

For my introduction to Morbid Angel I decided to listen to all their albums in reverse-chronological order, so Ilud Divinum Insanus was my first exposure to Morbid Angel.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm 

Someone mentioned Therion in the previous page. My first Therion album was Symphony Masses Ho Draken Ho Megas. Is that unusual?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:33 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Someone mentioned Therion in the previous page. My first Therion album was Symphony Masses Ho Draken Ho Megas. Is that unusual?

I think so. The reason I picked Lepaca Kliffoth was that I was CD shopping at a brick and mortar store, and I saw it used for $4.99. This was before smart phones and I couldn't remember which of their albums were supposed to be good, so I picked it up. Had I remembered which albums were recommended on the forum I frequented at the time (not this one) I wouldn't have picked it up.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 pm 

I'm familiar with all of them up to Secret of the Runes and I still don't know which of their albums are supposed to be good.

For me they're like Opeth, playing a really amazing style on paper and just not being very good at it, and having me wishing that a group of more talented/interesting songwriters would play that exact style.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 pm 

Therion is cool but I really liked Demonoid, I wish they would have kept doing stuff with that project.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

shiiid - forgot all about Demonoid. I have nothing but fond memories with that band.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 pm 

I really like the song Ritual Dance of the Yezidis by Therion.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 pm 

Live Gothic is one of my all-time favorite live albums - it was a stripped-down, high-energy take on the band's material from Theli-onward (including the lethargic Gothic Kabbalah LP, which the tour was effectively in support of, interestingly enough) and featured the best live band chemistry that Therion ever had or probably ever will have.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm 

Has the guy from Demilich ever talked about his influences? Ever since I saw a review on the site implying Ripping Corpse to be sort of a proto-Demilich I can hear exactly what he means...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm 

From Antti Boman himself:

"The main influences when Demilich was born were bands like Bolt Thrower, Pestilence, Entombed etc. Later I got more influence (whatsoever) from newer Pestilence, Atheist, Morbid Angel, Voivod and likes."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 pm 

Interesting. Would have expected Ripping Corpse in there, but maybe it's just my current excitement over them doing little for me for years and finally doing such an intense clicking with me that it drops my jaw how something so amazing could have not been a part of my life for ages.

Exact same story goes for Hellwitch, who I have in a playlist on repeat together with Ripping Corpse at the moment, two bands I never much cared for for a long time and are now supremely kicking my ass.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm 

He probably had no idea who they were, to be honest.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm 

Festivus: yeah there are quite a few repetitive choruses (chori?) by Iron Maiden. Thing is, lyrically repetitive is fine if the instrumental bit with it is cool. "Brave New World" for instance.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm 

Maiden has a sort of autopilot mode where they don't exactly suck ass, but they fall back on overly repeated choruses like you guys mention - this was the big problem with their 90s work. In the 80s, when they did a chorus too much, it usually worked just because the band sounded so intense and the melodies were unforgettable. In the 90s, it just got to be very dull and drab by comparison. The 2000s material has attempted to vary things up more often with each successive album (though there are still some with very repetitive choruses, but they just sound better).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm 

iAm wrote:
First day of class and I finally got my schedule. I only have class three days a week! Stoked.

Oh, that's really cool. Even if those days are jam-packed you will have four days to do assignments and other things. I haven't got mine yet but my semester doesn't start until late February so I have time to mentally prepare. I'm only doing two subjects this time around so I hope that means I don't go to uni Monday to Friday like last semester.

Festivus wrote:
The nicest user here is MikeyC imo. Got zero complains of him. I'm yet to see him angry.

Thanks, mate. :)

Jonpo wrote:

:lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm 

I was kidding! :lol:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Interesting. Would have expected Ripping Corpse in there, but maybe it's just my current excitement over them doing little for me for years and finally doing such an intense clicking with me that it drops my jaw how something so amazing could have not been a part of my life for ages.

Nice dude, definitely one of my all time favorite metal albums, period. Such an awesome combination of unnerving death metal, brutal thrash and a pinch of hardcore. The fact that every song on DWTD has such a unique identity is really impressive. And Seduction might be my favorite of them all, that whole intro is pure blissful insanity.

Even if Demilich and RC developed independently, I would classify them alongside each other in the grand scheme of things. Considering the 1991 release date, DWTD might be the first "weird death metal" album. Beats out Nespithe and all the finndeath, The Chasm, relevant Gorguts, the Timeghoul demos, etc.. Hell, even came out a month before Immolation's debut.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm 

Morbid Angel were doing "weird" death metal before anyone, tbh. And of course that entirely depends on how you classify things as "weird" but if the definition relies on jumping more and more outside of the standard power chords and palm mutes they absolutely fit the bill.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Festivus wrote:

I think so. The reason I picked Lepaca Kliffoth was that I was CD shopping at a brick and mortar store, and I saw it used for $4.99. This was before smart phones and I couldn't remember which of their albums were supposed to be good, so I picked it up. Had I remembered which albums were recommended on the forum I frequented at the time (not this one) I wouldn't have picked it up.

You shitting me? Lepaca Kliffoth is a fun and awesome album!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Morbid Angel were doing "weird" death metal before anyone, tbh. And of course that entirely depends on how you classify things as "weird" but if the definition relies on jumping more and more outside of the standard power chords and palm mutes they absolutely fit the bill.

Oh for sure, it all starts with MA. That should go without question, considering Azagthoth's riff and solo style is a significant influence on Shaune Kelley and Erik Rutan's music. But it's also easy for me to consider MA plain jane OSDM, because they're one of the first bands to really excise a lot of the thrash from the early death metal sound IMO.

God I hope the new album is good. I was under the impression that Rutan would be playing on it but I guess he's just producing. Still, most of the Tucker era stuff is great so I'm ready to believe.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 pm 

Fair points, I see what you mean.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Considering the 1991 release date, DWTD might be the first "weird death metal" album. Beats out Nespithe and all the finndeath, The Chasm, relevant Gorguts, the Timeghoul demos, etc.. Hell, even came out a month before Immolation's debut.

The leads on the 1990 Hellwitch debut are definitely weirder than those on the Ripping Corpse debut, though. Like, just listen to the intro of "Sentient Transmography" for weird. Too much on the thrash side to be considered?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm 

I used to have the Hellwitch debut years ago and it definitely struck me as more of a heavy thrash/proto-DM sort of thing.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 pm 

rexxz wrote:

"The main influences when Demilich was born were bands like Bolt Thrower, Pestilence, Entombed etc. Later I got more influence (whatsoever) from newer Pestilence, Atheist, Morbid Angel, Voivod and likes."

Every time I tell somebody that Realm of Chaos sounds a lot like proto-Demilich they look at me like I'm crazy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Absolutely. Like I said, I'm glad that at the time I forgot which albums had been recommended to me, because that wasn't one of them. :lol:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:55 pm 

I'm very sure Bolt Thrower was a huge influence on Finndeath.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Absolutely. Like I said, I'm glad that at the time I forgot which albums had been recommended to me, because that wasn't one of them. :lol:

Okay. I read it that you regretted the purchase, but yeah pretty cool album. Probably my favorite by the band overall.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 pm 

rexxz wrote:

Yeah it's funny that even really weird bands usually get their influences from the same bands as everyone else. I guess most of the time musicians are already past their most significant period of artistic development by the time they reach the more obscure stuff, especially in the 80s/90s before the internet. Like even the weirdest thrash bands will say Metallica was a big influence on them, even if their take on thrash sounds nothing at all like Master of Puppets.

I guess the takeaway is that weird musicians are just naturally weird.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

Musically I like that one (Lepaca Kliffoth) the most, but those Nick Holmes-ish/almost Hetfield-ish vocals make me cringe every time.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:11 pm 

I think my first full Maiden album was Fear of the Dark. I had heard Run to the Hills and The Trooper of course so it's not like I was totally unfamiliar with the band, but my mom (whom I stole several CDs from as a kid and thus kickstarted my metal listening at a single digit age) only had one CD, that being Fear of the Dark. That's probably the main reason I have such a soft spot for it and find a lot to respect even if a lot of the wacky ideas don't exactly work. Regardless though, Be Quick or Be Dead is one of their best songs and it's a total shame that it's almost completely forgotten at this point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Okay. I read it that you regretted the purchase, but yeah pretty cool album. Probably my favorite by the band overall.

My fav too. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 pm 

I have a soft spot for both those albums, large part for being the first I heard, smaller part for me really liking Bruce doing gruff vocals, which I think he's quite great at and should do more often.

I actually have a soft spot for "Bring Your Daughter..." just for that seond reason.

(Also probably explains why "Still Life" is one of my absolute favourite Bruce-era songs.)

Last edited by droneriot on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:15 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Musically I like that one (Lepaca Kliffoth) the most, but those Nick Holmes-ish/almost Hetfield-ish vocals make me cringe every time.

The vocals are definitely the weakest point of the album.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:16 pm 

After editing my last post half a trillion times I'll go straight to responding to the next. :lol:

Yeah I just can't stand that vocal style unless it's, you know, James Hetfield doing it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 332  Next