Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
The U.S. government doesn't care about collateral damage in the Middle East because they know they can get away with it. If they started killing Americans on their own soil, there would actually be a backlash.

The number of fucks any government that is overtly oppressive and tyrannical, openly killing its own citizenry with the best tools and teams for the job with no regard for collateral damage, rules of engagement, etc. would give about any “backlash” is precisely zero. If the scenario you’re imagining is complete despotism and martial law, concern about public image is already off the table.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
On a much, much lighter note...

I was on another board and the subject of the mediocre post BM band Ghost Bath came up. It was implied by another poster that this band does not actually play guitars during their live shows, that the guitars are all on backing tracks and the instruments in their hands are merely stage props.

Anyone hear anything about this?

I suppose I am not that adept of a Google-er because no useful results turned up.

Obviously, this is not worthy of its own thread.

Okay, first off: Ghost Bath is more interesting than half the melodic Burzum rip offs playing the same chord progressions for an hour that get jerked over. :lol:

Second: This is the first I'm hearing about this but maybe the info is just getting out? Seems like bullshit to me, what's the angle? But who knows, maybe it's true.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm 

kalervon wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "side"

Well I saw this brought up a long while ago and I had inquired about it. With the VERY strict gun control people, they wouldn't confirm or deny that statistic as true and say it wouldn't matter. With the loose people, they bring it up and I ask for a source on it and I get the run around.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 pm 

Quote:
if you took out the top 3-5 cities with the highest gun crime rates, the rates themselves plummet significantly
Depends what you mean by significantly.. and whether it is 3 or 5, otherwise the maths are easy to figure out.

According to a list I found on Wikipedia, St. Louis (188), Baltimore (318), New Orleans (146) and Detroit (302) have the four highest murder rates (not necessarily gun). The numbers transcribed are homicides in 2016; altogether they sum to 954.

The U.S. murder count for the most recent year counted by UNODC is 15996.

If you remove the four aforementioned cities, the rate can't drop by more than 6%.

Of course, one would need to use reliable data from all the same year / sources, and count gun crime, not murders.. But a drop of 6% is not "plummeting significantly" in my book.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:40 am 

kalervon wrote:
Quote:
if you took out the top 3-5 cities with the highest gun crime rates, the rates themselves plummet significantly
Depends what you mean by significantly.. and whether it is 3 or 5, otherwise the maths are easy to figure out.

According to a list I found on Wikipedia, St. Louis (188), Baltimore (318), New Orleans (146) and Detroit (302) have the four highest murder rates (not necessarily gun). The numbers transcribed are homicides in 2016; altogether they sum to 954.

If you remove the four aforementioned cities, the rate can't drop by more than 6%.

Of course, one would need to use reliable data from all the same year / sources, and count gun crime, not murders.. But a drop of 6% is not "plummeting significantly" in my book.

Well it would only relate to the gun related murders and/or crimes. That said, just a few cities making the rate drop by 6% in this large of a country is pretty impressive in of itself.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm 

new Cosmic Atrophy single rulessssss

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm 

I've enjoyed this quite a bit lately:

https://vaki.bandcamp.com/releases

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:59 am 

I dunno how of you visit the Facebook, but when you get added to Metal related groups they tend to post some pretty shite memes.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am 

even if the us didnt have their nasty track record civil wars in the modern age are extremely savage more so than ever and you can expect that if such a thing happened in the US it would be no exception.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I dunno how of you visit the Facebook, but when you get added to Metal related groups they tend to post some pretty shite memes.

Yeah a lot of them are pretty cringe worthy.

However, that Mortician page is killing it at the moment.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm 

juicebitch wrote:
new Cosmic Atrophy single rulessssss

I appreciate that brother!

Here's the link for anyone who missed it and wants to hear the first single for the 10th anniversary comeback album:

https://cosmicatrophy.bandcamp.com/releases

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pm 

Paradise Lost does tour in the US eventually, right?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm 

Hey I know there's a handful of you fine folks who appreciate rap/hip hop. Any of y'all up on Bones? He's like...a soundcloud rapper I guess? Or maybe THE soundcloud rapper? All his albums are free, and I think it's pretty clear from his music that he's a genuine weirdo slash possible scumbag.

I would describe his sound as somewhere between Bone Thugs, westcoast freestyle legends Project Blowed, and "cloud rap". The beats are extremely wonderful. Usually on the "heavier" side with dramatic/cinematic samples and trap-style drums. His voice and flow are both smooth as can be even if his lyrics sound off-kilter. I don't know...I'm extremely elitist when it comes to this style of music but he's captured my whole heart.

Most of his albums are 30-35 minute and most songs are less than 3 minutes. Here's a random tune that I've been listening to a lot lately, HDMI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBo_rJB91OY

Just dropping a line in case anyone else has never heard of him. I was obviously way late to the game.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 am 

Bad news for the fans of Gibson guitars:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/0 ... ankruptcy/

They still seem to sell roughly one million guitars annually, so even if the sales are down over 30% from what they were a decade ago, the blame lies pretty obviously on the company management. With that kind of volumes still selling, it's purely a matter of not adjusting to a new market situation; sometimes it's just better to admit that the market isn't there any more, and downsize in time, than to be stubborn and die. It's a pity, in any case.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 am 

Napero wrote:
Bad news for the fans of Gibson guitars:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/0 ... ankruptcy/

They still seem to sell roughly one million guitars annually, so even if the sales are down over 30% from what they were a decade ago, the blame lies pretty obviously on the company management. With that kind of volumes still selling, it's purely a matter of not adjusting to a new market situation; sometimes it's just better to admit that the market isn't there any more, and downsize in time, than to be stubborn and die. It's a pity, in any case.

Gibson's problem isn't less interest in guitars. It's that for the past, I don't know, decade or so, they've been selling shoddy equipment for premium prices. Their quality control is pretty much non-existant these days, and getting a brand new Gibson from the manufacturer is a crapshoot. Often times even a brand new Gibson will need several hundred dollars of set up work done just to get it playable. And all the while these shoddy guitars are being made, the prices have skyrocketed. I remember like 15 years ago looking in Musician's Friend catalogues and the Jimmy Page signature Les Paul was $3,000. Either late last year or earlier this year, I received a Guitar Center catalogue and the Les Paul STANDARD was $3,500. What the fuck happened?

Also, it's telling that their signature artists are moving to other brands. It was pretty famous when that guy from Mastodon left Gibson for another company (I can't remember which). And Zakk Wylde and Joe Bonamassa have quietly switched their sponsorship to Epiphone. I didn't even look those three up, I just knew them off the top of my head. Who knows how many other signature artists they've lost to other companies.

And none of this is a secret either. All kinds of guitarist youtubers will tell you the same story and more.

It has nothing to with with rap and edm, or laptops and video games. The current owner/CEO is completely inept and the only hope for the company is to be sold to someone else who actually gives a shit.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am 

Well, that still is a management problem, and it manifests as falling sales and a debt structure the said sales cannot handle. Both are manageable problems, even in a shrinking market. You can't ride on your reputation forever, if you won't produce the quality that made you famous. That is actually the way many famous companies water down their brands, often by outsourcing production to some Bananistan somewhere for some token savings, and then wondering why people don't love the crap the way they used to.

Also, bad real estate decisions are often one of the main drivers in bankruptcies, as they often increase the long-term fixed costs way too high. The news mention something like that, and that is hardly surprising. It's even more a problem of management than anything else, and often a case of pretty simple math if you want to avoid it.

BTW, what happened are inflation and greed. One cannot be avoided and often makes one wonder about the prices on a decade-long term, even if the real value stays the same. Interest on interest is a vicious beast, and about 7% of inflation will double the price tag of something in a decade. 5% will do the same in fifteen years. The other, of course, is an unfortunate human characteristic that can kill even healthy companies.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 am 

And yes, I know the inflation rates have been lower than 5%. That's just an example of the maths behind the statement.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 am 

i read something that in very recent times the QA has improved but with guitars it takes years of making quality equipment before you get rid of negative stigmas.

Last edited by tomcat_ha on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am 

I've heard about new Gibson guitars being rubbish, but I bought one in 2016, and it was clearly mint, even though it was shipped from UK to Finland via mainland Europe! I took it to a tech to have it set up for heavier strings (the nut needs adjustments which I don't have the competence to make), and even he complimented on the quality of the set-up out of the box. He said it was almost exactly according to Gibson's own specifications. No wonder, because it played great right out of the box. Best guitar I've ever played.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I've heard about new Gibson guitars being rubbish, but I bought one in 2016, and it was clearly mint, even though it was shipped from UK to Finland via mainland Europe! I took it to a tech to have it set up for heavier strings (the nut needs adjustments which I don't have the competence to make), and even he complimented on the quality of the set-up out of the box. He said it was almost exactly according to Gibson's own specifications. No wonder, because it played great right out of the box. Best guitar I've ever played.

Sounds like some people will just hate a brand purely because it's that brand and/or are blinded by nostalgia goggles.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm 

I've kind of gone off Gibson. My brother has a very nice SG special from about 15 years ago - the stock pick-ups were wank but we changed 'em out for Seymour Duncans. That said, I'd still take my Fret King over it. It's an Esprit V; Explorer-esque shape with PAF pick ups and absolutely great build quality. I'd put it up against anything. Cheaper Gibsons seem very, very hit and miss. I played a P90 Les Paul Junior from them and was completely unimpressed, whereas my £240 Vintage in a similar style rules. So, I dunno. £2000 Les Pauls are, of course, great but they're also £2000 Les Pauls. :P

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 pm 

I have a vintage 1986 Gibson Les Paul that used to be owned by Criss Oliva of Savatage that my dad bought off him in Germany back in the day. It fucking rules.

But lately I'm using an Ibanez 8 string for a lot of my work. That one rules too. Check this out:

https://clyp.it/pkrmcabq

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 pm 

Okay, rexxz, you win. Pics of both, please?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I have a vintage 1986 Gibson Les Paul that used to be owned by Criss Oliva of Savatage that my dad bought off him in Germany back in the day. It fucking rules.

Is that a collector's guitar that gets put in a framed case, or is that one that you change out the strings and continue playing it? I don't know much about those who collect guitars and if a "condition" matters.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:37 pm 

Well, it wasn't in pristine condition when I got it back in the early 2000s. My dad just gave it to me because I was so curious about it, and that's basically the beginning of the end in regards to me going balls deep into music. I don't really play it much anymore and I do keep it in its case, but only because I don't really need it much lately for the kind of music I'm writing, and I also just want to keep it as intact as possible for sentimental reasons. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

I'll try to get pics soon, it's pretty cool!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 pm 

My job has this dreadful "company bullshit" week planned for next week and I could not be less interested in any part of it. We will, essentially, not be doing any work at all over this week, which will be wasted in "classes" and "team building" and "tours" and shit the entire time. I would seriously rather just fucking work.

Worse, one day, they are taking us, via bus, to another company site for some reason for a whole day. We are required to be there, it is mandatory. From my albeit brief research, they should be paying us for the estimated 4 hours we'll be on the bus, as we are required to be to a certain location at a specific time to be bussed down to the other location. They are, instead, making excuses for this extra time and not paying us for it.

So, I'm not sure what to do, because this skirts an illegal boundary. Do I email HR? Ask to remain anonymous and have them look into this? Too many of my cohorts here are fucking blind followers, happy to do whatever they're told with no thought to their schedule, rights, or defense. Which has frequently made me and a select few other people lone stand-outs against this kind of bullshit.

Fucking ugh. JUST OBEY THE FUCKING LAW AND PAY PEOPLE THE 4 HOURS OF OVERTIME.

Last edited by Resident_Hazard on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm 

Start bitching. Every job I've ever had, if they asked me to be on the clock or taking time out of my day, I make sure I'm getting paid. Don't worry about your co-workers, because as you said, not paying you for mandatory TIME is illegal.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:14 pm 

I'm pretty sure I just dodged a bullet. I met a girl who lives near me on Reddit the other day. We've been constantly texting each other on Kik since then, and we've been hitting it off pretty well. The problem? She's 23 and moved back in to her parents' house and apparently really hates it there. I think she might be trying to use me financially, because it's been almost an hour and a half since I last texted her... my last text implies that I don't have a car (I sold it before moving to a major city). She probably thinks I'm an unemployed bum or something :lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 pm 

Well, aren't you?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm 

No. I have a job now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:46 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
No. I have a job now.

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 pm 

I'm making gains, though. That's all that really matters.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 am 

Jesus Christ man. Everytime i feel the need to remind myself not to be an idiot all i need to do is remember there's you out there making bad decisions leagues beyond what I'd ever touch.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:00 pm 

Wait a minute, he's not actually making a bad decision right now. Maybe a bit hasty on rushing to a conclusion, but seeing red flags sooner rather than later is probably good.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm 

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to move in with her anytime soon. We're talking again (she just fell asleep last night before texting me back), but I'm going to take things very slow this time around. I learned my lesson last time :lol:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm 

What if she doesn’t reply for two hours? She’s wild, man. Wild!!!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Start bitching. Every job I've ever had, if they asked me to be on the clock or taking time out of my day, I make sure I'm getting paid. Don't worry about your co-workers, because as you said, not paying you for mandatory TIME is illegal.

Had a chat with HR about it today. They are looking into it.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
kalervon wrote:

Well it would only relate to the gun related murders and/or crimes. That said, just a few cities making the rate drop by 6% in this large of a country is pretty impressive in of itself.
I said.. "can't drop more than 6%", because I didn't factor in the population of those cities.
Actual rate:
15996/P where P is the total population of the USA
Rate without the top 4 cities:
(15996-954)/(P-D) where D is the combined population of St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Detroit
Now, since P is about 326 million, I didn't bother calculating D, but it is actually of the order of 2 millions
So it is more like 5.5%, but at any rate, this is a very plain fact that has nothing striking. Even with a gaussian distribution this is something to be expected.. you remove the top whatever of anything, and the average drops. It's a truism.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm 

If Cozy Powell were Danish, would his name be Hygge Powell ?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 pm 

kalervon wrote:
If Cozy Powell were Danish, would his name be Hygge Powell ?

:thumbsup: my best laugh of the day!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 332  Next