Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:05 pm 

What would you call something like Shok Paris' "Steel and Starlight"? Seems pretty accurate to call it USPM or heavy/power metal. Great example of what gets called blue collar USPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9ucxOKUs4

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Yeah I mean, his bands were basically stereotypical bedroom BM & DM created by someone who could barely play his instrument. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be accepted if they were submitted today.

Thought you were talking about Count Orlok before I found the start of this discussion.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 pm 

For those that care, I have finished 4 weeks of the 12 week police radio course that I'm doing. It's really hard and I have done nothing much more than take triple zero calls (911 calls for Americans) all last week. A third of the class have already dropped out or failed their telephony exam - started with 9, down to 6. Next week we begin the dispatch phase of the course.

It's really hard, not going to lie. I'm pretty much at my mental limit, but I have also taken many many police emergency calls. It's actually lamer than it sounds, although getting abused on the phone is always a hoot and a half. Dispatch is a whole other thing, though.

Also, living in Sydney is a bit strange. I have never lived in a city before and I don't really care for it. The one advantage is that any service I could ever want is within walking distance to me. But I'll be glad to be back on the south coast after it's done. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
What would you call something like Shok Paris' "Steel and Starlight"? Seems pretty accurate to call it USPM or heavy/power metal. Great example of what gets called blue collar USPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9ucxOKUs4

The video is blocked in my country. :(

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

Just read that Soulseller Records is going to re-release Gorgoroth's "Pentagram"!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

A. B. wanted to inform me

Quote:
You're a fucking poser, Ritual Suicide is amazing

I beg to differ. The email did not even had a subject. What has become of all those hate-mail writers? Such posers and wannabes. Nothing proper any more.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:39 pm 

Infinite ammo cheat.

This entire scene is so incredibly incompetent that it transcends being "so bad its good" and is actually uncomfortable to watch.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:19 pm 

Those Fx are pure goldies.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm 

Looks like Behemoth has started playing a new song live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkEvT9b6T0

Sounds pretty fast and a bit more black metal, but the quality isn't great so it's hard to get a real impression. Definitely stoked for the follow-up to The Satanist though.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:12 am 

MikeyC wrote:
For those that care, I have finished 4 weeks of the 12 week police radio course that I'm doing. It's really hard and I have done nothing much more than take triple zero calls (911 calls for Americans) all last week. A third of the class have already dropped out or failed their telephony exam - started with 9, down to 6. Next week we begin the dispatch phase of the course.

It's really hard, not going to lie. I'm pretty much at my mental limit, but I have also taken many many police emergency calls. It's actually lamer than it sounds, although getting abused on the phone is always a hoot and a half. Dispatch is a whole other thing, though.

Also, living in Sydney is a bit strange. I have never lived in a city before and I don't really care for it. The one advantage is that any service I could ever want is within walking distance to me. But I'll be glad to be back on the south coast after it's done. :)

Wishing you lots and lots of energy to make it through. One thing that helps me keep up my motivation during highly demanding tasks/periods is to remind myself how far I've already made it, which is proof of what I'm capable of.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am 

^
Indeed! Also that job is a tough one in terms of stress and responsability, it's really not for everyone. If you can pull it trough you should really be proud!

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:17 am 

Guys just a question, I had a debate with a few friends of mine at today's lunch, how could you define a commercial band in general? Both of them implied it was a band that was made up for being successful, hitting the charts and passing on the radio... Like something planned to success, favorizing the popularity over the music itself, whereas I thought it was bands like Kiss or Cannibal Corpse that create A LOT of goodies and shirts etc... to be the most attractive possible. But they told me this genre of bands wasn't commercial but lucrative. What do you think about it?

Last edited by Andreas_Hansen on Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 am 

I would define a commercial band as KISS or Cannibal Corpse.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:40 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
A. B. wanted to inform me

Quote:
You're a fucking poser, Ritual Suicide is amazing

That sentence is better if Ritual Suicide isn't a band name.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

If you haven't eaten elk before, you should eat some. Tender and juicy :nods: Looking forward to trying some bison, and I can hardly believe it might be better than elk.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Guys just a question, I had a debate with a few friends of mine at today's lunch, how could you define a commercial band in general? Both of them implied it was a band that was made up for being successful, hitting the charts and passing on the radio... Like something planned to success, favorizing the popularity over the music itself, whereas I thought it was bands like Kiss or Cannibal Corpse that create A LOT of goodies and shirts etc... to be the most attractive possible. But they told me this genre of bands wasn't commercial but lucrative. What do you think about it?

It depends on what you mean by "commercial." Cannibal Corpse are commercial within the metal scene, for sure, in that in metal they are a pretty big name and sell a lot of records and merch in comparison to other metal bands. Kiss, however, are commercial within the wider sense of the word, in that they make a TON of money when they tour, and hearing their songs in the media is a pretty common occurrence. I'd say a commercial band is a band which exerts a degree of influence and is a "big name" or draw within their scene or in society in general.

I also disagree that bands are commercial because they are "made" to be successful. Most bands become commercially successful because they are lucky enough to have a single, or an album or whatever, that gains traction and enables them to sell a lot of records, tickets, merch etc. I feel like your friends are talking about bands like Bon Jovi, Guns n' Roses or Motley Crue who have (had?) a radio-friendly sound and so sold fuck-tons of records off the back of that whereas you are referring more to being "commercial" within the metal scene.

Although I do agree Cannibal Corpse (and a lot of top tier extreme metal bands) are more lucrative than commercial in the wider sense of the word.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm 

Okay I see. Oh and by the way I do not denigrate the talent and the huge influence of both of the bands I quoted had!

Actually they don't like metal. They were talking about other rock-related genres. One said for instance that in a way, the Beatles were commercial in the sense at the very beginning they were a pretty insignificant garage band and then someone noticed them and made them "suitable" for radio, shows etc making them the first boys-band. I don't know if it's true but that's what he said. They were also talking about pop shit that we could hear while listening to music radio... I call them supermarket songs, since the only moment you're listening to them is while making the grosses.

As for me what I mean by commercial is "a band that sells a lot of stuff, CDs like merch or concert tickets". So maybe yes it has to be seen within a specific range, like extreme metal bands for CC.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

Within the context of music, "commercial" is an ill-defined adjective whose alleged precision is as tightly-defined as Borat's marital wizard sleeve. Most J-pop and K-pop bands are unheard of outside of southeast Asia. You would never have heard Nightwish on a US radio station in the US prior to 2006 (if even then) despite the stadium-sized concerts they sold out elsewhere. There was a time when Cannibal Corpse sold more albums in the US than Armin van Buuren while the precise opposite situation prevailed concurrently in most European countries. Has-been bands in one nation suddenly find themselves best-sellers in lesser-populated countries when they resume touring there. People here and elsewhere talk (with sarcasm or seriousness) of the specter of trueness vs if you are a false, but it's a vague pseudo-ideal which stands less for purity than it does for bragging rights about whose favorite band is the least catchy.

Elk is good, albeit not as tasty as bison in my opinion. However, neither are as flavorful as reindeer. Rudolph is better dead and smoked than alive and poorly-drawn in some holiday coloring book.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:
Yeah I mean, his bands were basically stereotypical bedroom BM & DM created by someone who could barely play his instrument. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be accepted if they were submitted today.

Thought you were talking about Count Orlok before I found the start of this discussion.

Every single freaking time I see that artist get mentioned, I start getting defensive and then realize it's NOT referring to Werwolf's side project. :-P

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 am 

a commercial band is a band that waters down their sound/genre what they are playing in hope for becoming bigger. For example early Saxon was quite commercially successful but those albums are obviously not watered down however after power & glory they obviously did water down their sound and became commercial for a couple album. Now obviously innocence was still a decent album some of the others were not.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 am 

So highly successful bands that are huge that... don't water down their sound aren't commercial?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 pm 

A fairly decent price for this Mortician album: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5074328

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
a commercial band is a band that waters down their sound/genre what they are playing in hope for becoming bigger. For example early Saxon was quite commercially successful but those albums are obviously not watered down however after power & glory they obviously did water down their sound and became commercial for a couple album. Now obviously innocence was still a decent album some of the others were not.

So Saxon became less commercial when they became more commercial?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Looks like Behemoth has started playing a new song live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkEvT9b6T0

Sweet! I'll be seeing them this weekend on the Slayer retirement tour. I will have to sit through Lamb of God and Anthrax though....

Anyone else catching a show on the tour? I'm pretty sure Slayer knows their audience but if they don't do a good run of the classics I'll try to climb up on stage and cut off Kerry Kings' stupid pointy beard.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 am 

I kinda agree with Tomcat. "Commercial" is an odd old thing that like a bunch of other things in music can have a few million different meanings.

..And Justice For All got to #6 in America, but in now way would I label that commercial.
Cherry Pie by Warrant got to #7 but I would certainly argue that it's a way more commercial album.

The idea being that "commercial" is something that is done with the aim of generating more commerce or something.

of course it's vague as hell.. so what? That's the great thing about music. It's a subjective weirdo thing, where you're rarely *provably* wrong, instead you're just super dumb

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 am 

Just posted this little video clip for the upcoming Cosmic Atrophy album. Check out this ridiculous solo

https://www.facebook.com/CosmicAtrophy/ ... 846093141/

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 am 

v

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm 

Just popping in to say that Scrolls of the Megilloth by Mortification is fucking bad arse.

Don't be like me and discount Mortification because they're a Christian band and released this as an album cover and title.

And don't be like me and discount Mortificaion because they're a Christian band and released a song called 'God Rulz' where the lyrics can be transcibed as;

God Rulz x8

Turns out that when they weren't doing cringey stuff like that, they were writing solid metal. Hell, even 'God Rulz' is a good track if you get passed the dumb lyrics.

- Tim Minchin

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm 

Should speed metal even be a genre? What separates it from thrash?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:

Thrash is more chaotic and tends to "shapeshift" more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqO1hjFCCLc
vs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc0UxuyC3Ew

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

In that way, I feel that speed metal is the most restricted of the metal genres. It can't go many places without becoming something else.

- Tim Minchin

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
In that way, I feel that speed metal is the most restricted of the metal genres. It can't go many places without becoming something else.

It really is, but we love it, so we want more of it.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm 

caspian wrote:
I kinda agree with Tomcat. "Commercial" is an odd old thing that like a bunch of other things in music can have a few million different meanings.

..And Justice For All got to #6 in America, but in now way would I label that commercial.
Cherry Pie by Warrant got to #7 but I would certainly argue that it's a way more commercial album.

The idea being that "commercial" is something that is done with the aim of generating more commerce or something.

of course it's vague as hell.. so what? That's the great thing about music. It's a subjective weirdo thing, where you're rarely *provably* wrong, instead you're just super dumb

Wise words.

Quote:

Check out the megathread on the "Metal Discussion" forum, there is (or was) a discussion about the exact same question. To me it's not a real genre in the sense I always have to put another genre behind it like speed/thrash or speed/power. It describes a way of playing rather than a particular sound. It does not give any clues about the sound of the music, a "speed metal song" could be at the same time a Helloween, a Razor or an Agent Steel one.

What separates it from thrash are the other influences. For instance Helloween's Wall of Jericho is pure speed though it doesn't sound like thrash at all, because of all the melodies in Kai Hansen's voice or in the riffing in general. Same thing for Riot's Thundersteel.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Just popping in to say that Scrolls of the Megilloth by Mortification is fucking bad arse.

It's a good album. The punchy bass and thin guitar give it a really distinct sound, different than the meaty or ultra-crunchy guitar-driven sounds that really took hold at the time. The music is driven by the bassist/vocalist and drummer when it gets faster, but the guitarist has a knack for those ominous slower parts that give it a feeling of... biblical doom, I guess.

That being said, after I found the CD many years ago, I looked at their website, and Steve Rowe comes across as an egotistical, insufferable prick. Mr. Extreme Jesus Death Metal has his own bigger-than-Jesus syndrome, while simultaneously holding his god as being even bigger than him. Amusing, how he hasn't been humbled by his music being laughably bad for the last 20 years.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm 

Tbh I just consider "speed metal" to be synonymous with "heavy/thrash metal."

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm 

Stuff that most people consider to be speed metal seems to occupy a nebulous space in between thrash, power and heavy metal. It's like really fast heavy metal but not quite as epic and grand to be power metal, and yet also not as aggressive or venomous to be thrash.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 pm 

I always thought of speed metal as stuff that's too fast to be called regular heavy metal, not melodic enough to be power, and not aggressive enough to be thrash. Basically, it's just really sped up trad metal.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm 

I think Bathory's "black metal phase" is more speed metal than thrash. It's definitely a black metal release but contains parts that are akin to speed metal.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 am 

The first album, maybe. From The Return onwards i really don't hear that influence prominently anymore

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

It really is, but we love it, so we want more of it.

Never said it was a bad thing. :D

Zodijackyl wrote:
That being said, after I found the CD many years ago, I looked at their website, and Steve Rowe comes across as an egotistical, insufferable prick. Mr. Extreme Jesus Death Metal has his own bigger-than-Jesus syndrome, while simultaneously holding his god as being even bigger than him. Amusing, how he hasn't been humbled by his music being laughably bad for the last 20 years.

Steve didn't come across as that bad, from what I've seen of him, but you've probably read stuff I haven't. Shame that Mortification went to shit, I was looking forward to digging through more of their catalogue, so I guess I'll just start with the old stuff and keep going till the quality drops off.

- Tim Minchin

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 332  Next