* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 am 

Re: speed, power, thrash etc... :

-----------

Power metal as a term originated in the US, to describe the heavier bands from say Iron Maiden, Sabbath, U.F.O, Riot, Priest, the Scorpions, Whitesnake, NWOBHM bands... you know, the heavy metal bands of the beginning of the 80s. The term just meant "intense heavy metal" (faster, heavier or both) and it was adopted by the younger generation as evidenced by the Metallica demo (Power Metal). I'm not aware of who first coined the term and how widespread it was at the beginning.

I do know that it was used by fans in the US (I've talked to a lot and it keeps popping up in fanzines of the time) for a mixture of bands, who by todays standards could be labelled as heavy, power, speed or thrash metal. In short, at the beginning the term was used rather loosely.

It definitely got used to describe the more melodic thrash metal bands, like early Overkill, Metallica's Ride the Lightning, Metal Church etc. If at this point it was used to describe a band like Jag Panzer, I don't know. Armored Saint was called Power Metal at the time for sure.

Speed metal was also a term that was used interchangeably. It was used to describe fast metal, whether it was fast heavy metal like Raven, Anvil, the faster Venom songs or the new generation of thrash metal bands, like Kill Em All, Fistful of Metal, Megadeth of course (who had the classic backprint slogan "world's state of the art speed metal"). Thrash got big, so speed metal for the better part of the 80s meant "thrash metal", before that term (around 86-87) got globally embedded to the metalhead's vocabulary. The (UK especially) magazines quickly adopted and spread the term thrash.

Speed metal on the other hand got abandoned, primarily because musicians hated the trend of trying to be faster than anyone else, the term soon felt derogatory to them. I remind you of the Cliff Burton quote that they don't need to play at a thousand miles per hour. Slayer, after destroying all competition with Reign in Blood and the two de facto thrash anthems from that album, proceeded to release the (doom by their standards!) South of Heaven.

Power metal in Europe wasn't really adopted until the Keepers. A logical transition, since their seminal speed metal debut (literally speed and a fine example of power metal melody combined with thrash metal intensity and heaviness) fitted the power metal definition of the Americans. When they dropped the speed and the intensity on Keeper I, it was the only logical term to describe their music. The term was adopted for the entire booming German scene at the time of which Helloween was the most successful (and arguably the best), at first they were called interchangeably power, speed, even thrash (see Running Wild and Rage but also Iron Angel, Angel Dust, Scanner, Blind Guardian etc) and slowly that stabilized to power metal, after speed metal was ousted from mainstream vocabulary (a shame) and thrash was taken care of by the big 3 (Kreator, Sodom, Destruction).

From that point onwards, at least in Europe power metal stopped being a synonym for early melodic thrash bands and instead got used for the bands that were more intense than the aforementioned heavy metal bands. So, Jag Panzer, early Queensryche, Vicious Rumors, Savatage, Crimson Glory, Leatherwolf, Oliver Magnum, early Helstar etc, around mid to late 80s, at least in Europe were the US Power Metal scene and remain to this day, at least in Greece, where we take all this shit very seriously indeed. We never adopted the german terms (melodic metal or true metal or any of those).

--------

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am 

The history lesson is nice, but we're talking about contemporary usage here!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm 

Sure but the contemporary usage follows from the bands that solidified each respective term.

Speed Metal in particular, being a term that was buried and now resurfaced is particularly interesting (I think) because all the bands that champion the term basically pride themselves in reviving the roots. Well, the roots are not a specific scene or genre, it's a number of bands/albums that span different genres (anything, from heavy, to power (US and German), the power/thrash hybrids, the early thrashers etc).

Trying to define speed metal as a genre with specific musical qualities (apart from fast, which is in itself very relative) is bound to exclude a huge part of its actual history. Or, in other words, you can say there are speed metal songs or albums but to me it's rather rare to have a real "just" speed metal band. It's gonna be a speed/power, speed/thrash, heavy/thrash kind of band and the latter is usually what revival bands play and what people think as original speed metal and yet, contemporary speaking they are usually not particularly fast, sometimes not at all. They would be considered fast in 1983 perhaps.

So, at the end of the day if people want to have a label to denote those bands that play like Agent Steel or Savage Grace or Hallows Eve, then sure, they can call that speed metal. But speed metal to me when I grew up was the delicious characteristic of bands playing FAST. Annihilator was speed/thrash in order to distinguish it from say Practice what you Preach.

Eh, anyways, I find the whole thing very fascinating and I love speed metal (all speed metal), I really do, so I tend to make a big deal out of it. Sorry about that :P

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:25 pm 

Happy Norway day!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:15 pm 

Opus wrote:
Happy Norway day!

I shall only listen to Nordic black metal....tonight.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 am 

-> Dungeon_Vic

Very interesting story indeed. Where did you get all of these pieces of information?

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am 

Oh, bits of everything, old magazines and fanzines (correspondence included), album inserts, talks with other people, esp. older people and my personal experience really. But the real obsession began when we did a Speed Metal special on Metal Hammer Greece. I had big objections with the selections (which included none of the original Germans except for Helloween's WOJ, no Anvil, no Raven, none of the thrash debuts, KEA, SNM, FOM, KIMB etc), which were presented to me before I could comment (since I live in Crete I was not part of the discussion which took place in the magazine's HQ in Athens), so we had a couple of lengthy phone calls (quite heated, haha) and I ended up writing an article of my own to present my case. Took two issues eventually :P

See, the guys who made the original list were of the opinion that speed metal is something between power and thrash and should probably have high pitched vocals, with some exceptions. And I said that they were basically taking Agent Steel as the absolute definition of Speed Metal and applying that to everyone else, which I thought was, well, very wrong. The Speed Kills collections or the Reign in Blood advert begged to differ, for starters. And Agent Steel were the smallest band in the Us Speed Metal Attack videotape, where they opened for Overkill and Anthrax, so hardly the quintessential band. That happened well after the fact, since they split up before they were placed in the solidified boxes of power or thrash. They had a catchy description (Maiden on 45RPM) that stuck with them but speed metal was really mostly synonymous with thrash for most of the 80s...

Later, after talking with another Greek journalist he told me he agreed completely and he had a quote from Away of Voivod to support our thesis:
"What are your top3 thrash metal albums of all time?"
"I'm very old school so I'll have to go for the roots: speed metal. 1-Motorhead: Ace Of Spades 2-Venom: Welcome To Hell 3-Raven: Wiped Out"

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am 

So I rage-quit my job a week and a half ago with no real back up plan other than my 401k. Not my smartest move, but I had to save my soul basically. Anyways, today I got a FULL paycheck even though I only worked like 50 hours the final pay period.

I left a ton of PTO/vacation on the table when I walked but I assumed that was forfeit. I'm very thankful for double the paycheck I'm just nervous they're gonna suddenly take half back in the night. :lol:

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm 

As for me all of my final-term exams got canceled due to blockades and people who were disagreeing with a lot of things related to the University... I don't know how and when I'm gonna pass them now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm 

Another school shooting. Incel uprising strikes again...?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 pm 

Fuck sakes. It's beyond heartbreaking.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:07 pm 

It's simultaneously so sad and so infuriating to see the same thing happen again and again.

- Tim Minchin

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm 

The sooner my little brothers are out of public school, the better (both are special needs, one is 19, and the other is 14). I don't want to get a phone call saying a shooting happened at the school they go to.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 pm 

Dungeon_Vic : I agree with your exposé on the origin and evolution of various labels and/or genres. But two anecdotal facts:

1-Very early on Venom were also called black metal, because of the album of the same name. Where people drew the line was: speed metal with satanic lyrics = black metal. So Mercyful Fate came to be called that way too. When lo-fi bands like Hellhammer and Bathory, with similar sound to Venom, emerged, eventually the name came back, but I couldn't tell exactly when.

2-The first traceable use of the term "death metal", to my knowledge, is the 1984 compilation with Hellhammer, Helloween, Running Wild and Dark Avenger. Possessed also had a demo called Death Metal in 1984, but it probably only propagated through pen pal circles for a while until they released a distributed album the year after. With the band Death following on, the label probably caught on.

Just to show how fluid it was, this flyer from 1985 https://hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads ... 3flyer.jpg lists
Celtic Frost as death metal
Possessed and Destruction as speed metal
Nasty Savage as black metal
Voivod as power metal

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
For those that care, I have finished 4 weeks of the 12 week police radio course that I'm doing. It's really hard and I have done nothing much more than take triple zero calls (911 calls for Americans) all last week. A third of the class have already dropped out or failed their telephony exam - started with 9, down to 6. Next week we begin the dispatch phase of the course.

It's really hard, not going to lie. I'm pretty much at my mental limit, but I have also taken many many police emergency calls. It's actually lamer than it sounds, although getting abused on the phone is always a hoot and a half. Dispatch is a whole other thing, though.

Also, living in Sydney is a bit strange. I have never lived in a city before and I don't really care for it. The one advantage is that any service I could ever want is within walking distance to me. But I'll be glad to be back on the south coast after it's done. :)

Wishing you lots and lots of energy to make it through. One thing that helps me keep up my motivation during highly demanding tasks/periods is to remind myself how far I've already made it, which is proof of what I'm capable of.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
^
Indeed! Also that job is a tough one in terms of stress and responsability, it's really not for everyone. If you can pull it trough you should really be proud!

Thanks blokes! It's hard but I'm getting there somehow. :)

Jonpo wrote:
So I rage-quit my job a week and a half ago with no real back up plan other than my 401k. Not my smartest move, but I had to save my soul basically. Anyways, today I got a FULL paycheck even though I only worked like 50 hours the final pay period.

I left a ton of PTO/vacation on the table when I walked but I assumed that was forfeit. I'm very thankful for double the paycheck I'm just nervous they're gonna suddenly take half back in the night. :lol:

What was your job?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 am 

Thoughts you have whilst you wait for your girlfriend to finish her work at the lab: I wish Cronos had actually written that book that he was going to do around the time of At War with Satan.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:56 pm 

So a certain Russian website described the latest album by Parkway Drive as "Groove metal"... but I am not going to be hoodwinked again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

Kinda neat they are going for something different though. But if someone is going to argue for their inclusion into MA, it won't be me.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:02 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
What was your job?

Man, I haven't found a way to answer this yet that isn't super tedious. I worked for a Medicaid healthcare company in the US. Healthcare is already a nightmare industry but we were non-profit and state funded which makes things more nuanced and uh...batshit crazy. Then we 'merged' with a FOR profit company from another state and things got weird quick.

In the end I was being asked to personally "figure out" around 3 million dollars in A/R for outside companies. This is so far from my job its hard to explain, and it specifically stated in the "provider (aka doctor) manual" that we will not work your AR. They had me, with no accounting experience, doing the work a team of math-brains would usually accomplish. And this was extraneous to my normal "support" role where I did my best to support a team of 6 "Provider Reps" who went out into the field to basically keep doctors and other healthcare professionals happy and partnered with our company. Those 6 individuals had wilted into helpless babies in the wake of constant change and confusion.

I was constantly having little mini-breakdowns at work. Real bad shit. Just had to get out of there. It was the most money I've ever made anywhere. With no real education beyond HS, I'm just going to have to grind my way up the stupid ladder somewhere else. I don't know anything else but the corpo-grind so that's probably where I'll land again.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 am 

Jonpo wrote:
corpo-grind

Been along day, I read that as copro-grind.

My collection

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 am 

HAIL COPROGRIND

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm 

:lol:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
It's simultaneously so sad and so infuriating to see the same thing happen again and again.

Unless you're a Republican, then it's awesome to see guns in the news and use scare-mongering to get more money to the NRA.

This kid in Texas wasn't necessarily an incel, but it was noted that he had been rejected by a girl that he then gunned down, and then some other people for good measure. So he at least fits that mold.

Seven people were gunned down recently in Australia in their worst mass shooting in 22 years. In the United States, this has become almost a weekly occurrence, increasingly from sexless little whelps who are the human embodiment of woman repellent. Sure, it sounds like some stupid "incel uprising," but it's really just a different trigger for the same old losers in a country with too many guns.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 pm 

Saw today a post in a parodic information website called "Le Gorafi". The title reads: "Texas: Laser-Game matches will be from now on with real bullets".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
This kid in Texas wasn't necessarily an incel, but it was noted that he had been rejected by a girl that he then gunned down, and then some other people for good measure. So he at least fits that mold.

You ever read anything on r/Braincels? It's seriously the worst fucking subreddit ever. It's a continuation of the r/Incels subreddit, but with new rules about not calling for women to be raped or murdered (doesn't stop the occasional comment from floating in every so often) and way more shitposting, to the point that it often appears like a parody of an Incel website. Ever since the Toronto van attack where the perpetrator was confirmed to be an incel himself, the subreddit's been falling all over itself to not appear to be advocating mass terror attacks by their own. They're failing miserably, and they've been trying to not seem congratulatory towards the Texas school shooter since it happened.

Again, they're failing miserably.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm 

I have concluded, following much internal debate---of both the mental and physiological sort, involving at turns cutting thought and incisive gastromachy---that stevia is not worth it and one should stick to plain fucking sugar, just less of it.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I have concluded, following much internal debate---of both the mental and physiological sort, involving at turns cutting thought and incisive gastromachy---that stevia is not worth it and one should stick to plain fucking sugar, just less of it.

Were you using it in anything other than coffee?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 pm 

No, though I have had stevia-sweetened sodas maybe once or twice (I don't remember, I rarely drink pop). It tastes fine in supremely minuscule amounts but anything above that and I get a gastric reflux of some sort.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 pm 

dan quinn is inarguable proof that stevia is bad

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Seven people were gunned down recently in Australia in their worst mass shooting in 22 years.

Yeah, that's now gonna be the go to line for pro-gun types any time our laws are used as an example of gun control being successful.

- Tim Minchin

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 am 

Subrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

You ever read anything on r/Braincels? It's seriously the worst fucking subreddit ever. It's a continuation of the r/Incels subreddit, but with new rules about not calling for women to be raped or murdered (doesn't stop the occasional comment from floating in every so often) and way more shitposting, to the point that it often appears like a parody of an Incel website. Ever since the Toronto van attack where the perpetrator was confirmed to be an incel himself, the subreddit's been falling all over itself to not appear to be advocating mass terror attacks by their own. They're failing miserably, and they've been trying to not seem congratulatory towards the Texas school shooter since it happened.

Again, they're failing miserably.

I don't use Reddit. I have read quite a bit about these people as I find them grossly fascinating. I take it that since Incel means involuntarily celibate that braincel they are celibate of the brain. Really valuable human beings, I'm sure.

Hmmm... in a morbidly humorous twist, the incels shooting people goes quite well with the "gun nuts have no dicks" stereotype. Granted, the two previously "known" incels used knives and cars mostly, but they'll get there. So far, this Texas kid just sounds like a pathetic loser who couldn't handle rejection.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Seven people were gunned down recently in Australia in their worst mass shooting in 22 years.

Yeah, that's now gonna be the go to line for pro-gun types any time our laws are used as an example of gun control being successful.

It's hard to believe that anyone still believes crime actually got worse there after they enacted their stricter gun laws. It's been so sounded debunked. But you still see it.

If people have to cling to lies to defend what they believe, what they believe is bullshit.

Mamont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
So a certain Russian website described the latest album by Parkway Drive as "Groove metal"... but I am not going to be hoodwinked again

People on said website (that you could name) compared it to black albom by Metallica, so it makes sense to call that groove metal.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm 

For those who may have missed it... :(

RIP Diamhea

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 pm 

I just read it, god fucking dammit...

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

I don't know how I did but I didn't see the official statement nor the announcement, I just came here thinking of seeing another post by someone and I saw Morrigan's post. I instantly stopped everything I was doing. That's dreadful.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm 

What the hell happened? D:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:07 pm 

An unsubtle reminder that life is short, and the people you love can be gone in a heartbeat. God damn. RIP.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 pm 

Omfg!! I just read about Diamhea!!! This fucking blows! R.I.P. my friend.

Like your reviews?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
An unsubtle reminder that life is short, and the people you love can be gone in a heartbeat. God damn. RIP.

I'm 50 years old, been a lot of those reminders around for me lately. I suspect they will keep coming.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 am 

So sad, so very sad. :( 31 is not an age to go.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 332  Next