Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm 

I've gotten used to (somewhat unfairly?) being labelled a hipster, thanks primarily to the number of extinct sports teams represented in my wardrobe, and the fact that my wallet will probably always hold more Portuguese escudo than Canadian dollars.

But this girl I just saw is next level. Who the hell walks into a hole-in-the-wall bar, populated by hockey watching clods like me, and despite being dressed faux-homeless in cruddy leather coat and ripped jeans, asks if they have "a decent wine list"?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 am 

Funny, I started a collection of otherwise white customized baseball caps with printed logos of WHA teams, 2 years ago. One team per year, depending on cities I visit. So far: Denver Spurs and San Diego Mariners.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I've gotten used to (somewhat unfairly?) being labelled a hipster, thanks primarily to the number of extinct sports teams represented in my wardrobe, and the fact that my wallet will probably always hold more Portuguese escudo than Canadian dollars.

But this girl I just saw is next level. Who the hell walks into a hole-in-the-wall bar, populated by hockey watching clods like me, and despite being dressed faux-homeless in cruddy leather coat and ripped jeans, asks if they have "a decent wine list"?

You've never been to Portland, have you.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:25 pm 

Spoiler: show

This new Iron Angel video is something else

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 pm 

Somebody come get grandpa, he's off his meds again.

Cool song, but yeah... that video.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:37 pm 

Isn't it weird how Dirk Verbeuren is drumming for Megadeth? His old band, The Project Hate, is based entirely on anti-Christian lyrics and there was that whole ordeal where Dave Mustaine refused to play at a festival because Rotting Christ were going to be there.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:

That singer has the best hand movements. I wanna move my hands like him.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 am 

So there is this investigative journalist who was writing about the shady businesses of one "entrepreneur" (Kočner is his name) who had ties to mafia and politicians alike but was never caught doing anything. Back in autumn, the journalist wrote an article about one strange chain of transactions (where Kočner pretty much bought/sold real estate between several of his companies multiple times) and received threats that he and his family would be watched afterwards, directly from Kočner via the media. The police was notified and did precisely nothing.

The journalist was murdered last night and so was his fianceé. This happened in his own house after someone broke in, both of them killed with one lethal shot. What kind of a fucking place is Slovakia turning into, holy shit.

https://rsf.org/en/news/rsf-appalled-in ... r-slovakia
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm 

i love that iron angel video

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

That singer has the best hand movements. I wanna move my hands like him.

If you are wondering how to masterfully move your hands in order to express the power of metal, look no further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjrzpa38-0

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:27 pm 

Oh man, that show is something else. Although the presence of pedo drummer sours it a bit.

Still though, hand movements! Yay!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm 

My tax return this year is abnormally large, especially considering I only made about 7k last year. I sure need it though!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am 

I can't stop playing this new Solstice album. Initially I thought it was a bit 'more of the same' for the genre, but the level of articulation and polish in the writing is just out of this world - this is pure craftsmanship, every note has a place. Definitely check this out if you get a chance.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 pm 

sorry if this is old/memed out but i was sent this music video yesterday and man it is everything. guy genuinely sounds like mark the shark and the dude doing the intro is just. yes.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 pm 

theposega wrote:
sorry if this is old/memed out but i was sent this music video yesterday and man it is everything. guy genuinely sounds like mark the shark and the dude doing the intro is just. yes.

That guy looks like dad. Not necessarily my dad, but just... dad. That's what dad looks like.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 pm 

theposega wrote:

I may have cheesy tastes but I kind of liked it.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 pm 

Speaking of epic music videos...

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 am 

Any John Prine fans here? A good friend just turned me on to him, and I'm pretty much in love. Hello in There is god damned beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRGqRWzCwMA

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 am 

So, the issue I'd complained about late last week, about my job trying not to pay us for time that included a mandatory 4.5-hour bus ride was resolved. I was right, and our boss had to issue a correction about it, that we are to log it as overtime or we can head home early on Friday. I'll probably take the latter. I might not have been the only one to bring the issue to HR, but I was at least one person who looked into this.

I'll mark it as my hero work for the week, because I ensured my coworkers got paid.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm 

theposega wrote:

smh i even posted it in the rim a couple years ago!
but yes there is something very special going on here.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm 

Damn, I just watched a batch of those Gormley videos and I am blown the fuck away.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am 

Yeah, black metal is cool, but have you ever heard the fucking Aztec death whistle?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm 

Just put out my very first t-shirt ever, if anyone wants to check it out. You can grab one here if you're into it.

http://www.squarewaveclothing.com/hexenkraft.html

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Yeah, black metal is cool, but have you ever heard the fucking Aztec death whistle?

I have a few of these, they're cool.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm 

That's badass. I wouldn't mind having one, myself. I would make an orchestra of these things and incorporate it into a song :lol:

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 pm 

London Leatherboys all together!!!

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:44 am 

So I've got a question for y'all that I'm not really sure warrants a whole nother thread: anyone here ever gone out on a legitimate tour in some capacity (i.e., being in a band, managing, selling merch, etc.)? It's something I'm pretty interested in. Basically, I'm considering just kind of contacting some smaller/younger bands doing North American tours this summer who may not have moved up to the point of having super professional merch folks or even past just having someone in the band doing it and seeing if they'd be interested in having some pretty cheap labor along for the ride. Most college age kids are kind of expected to do unpaid/very cheap internships at some point to gain experience; I kinda figure, if possible, why not do something like that and get to travel and see loads of live music? :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, anybody have any kind of tour experience or advice on how to get into doing that?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
So there is this investigative journalist who was writing about the shady businesses of one "entrepreneur" (Kočner is his name) who had ties to mafia and politicians alike but was never caught doing anything. Back in autumn, the journalist wrote an article about one strange chain of transactions (where Kočner pretty much bought/sold real estate between several of his companies multiple times) and received threats that he and his family would be watched afterwards, directly from Kočner via the media. The police was notified and did precisely nothing.

The journalist was murdered last night and so was his fianceé. This happened in his own house after someone broke in, both of them killed with one lethal shot. What kind of a fucking place is Slovakia turning into, holy shit.

https://rsf.org/en/news/rsf-appalled-in ... r-slovakia

The very same thing happened here in Croatia several years back. But instead of breaking in his apartment, they used a car bomb in the middle of the street, during the lunchtime.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:34 am 

I'm an aspiring investigative writer and I've been digging around a police corruption/serial killer case that's tied to the Mafia. If I end up dead, it wasn't a suicide :lol:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:17 am 

Every time I see that Kamelot thread on the front page of Metal Discussion, I've got to read their name in my head the same way as the first 8 or so seconds of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQCArh_R9dY

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 am 

A lot of nazi victimization commiseration threads lately.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:47 am 

Kamelot could be tad more interesting if their name was Kameltoe and their lyrics more raunchy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:47 pm 

I want to just call the Peste Noire guy Monsieur Folk-Fuck.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 am 

So I just calculated, and if you look at all the Metal Archives bands marked as being from Mississippi, ShaolinLambKiller is in 22/65 = 33.8% of them. Wow.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:29 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
So I just calculated, and if you look at all the Metal Archives bands marked as being from Mississippi, ShaolinLambKiller is in 22/65 = 33.8% of them. Wow.

Pffft. That's nothing. There are three guys who have been a member of every band in Namibia.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:03 pm 

We were cleaning up a downstairs room in my house last night and found a creepy porcelain doll. Its eyes are entirely lime green, and its head has a disturbing way of slumping over like that split-second shot in "The Ring" where they show that drowned girl in the closet. The room in question used to be full of dolls (the prior owner had a huge collection of them), but both my wife and I swear we threw them all out (in fact, to freak my daughter out we keep saying that there was one that we didn't throw away that haunts the house). The doll was in a drawer in a piece of furniture we brought with us, not one that came with the home. Needless to say, we didn't have any bizarro dolls in our old apartment - it is not something we brought with us. When we took the doll out and stood it up on a dresser, our three dogs started barking violently at it. Though I was tempted to chuck the damn thing immediately, we got to talking about how it could be worth some money, so we're hanging on to it for now until it can be appraised.

The whole time, I was thinking "damn, haven't I seen enough generic evil doll movie plots to know that I'm in one?"

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 pm 

This is some of the strangest weather I've ever seen. It's hailing/sleeting, trying to decide if it's raining or snowing, and there's thunder and lightning.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:53 pm 

demonomania wrote:
We were cleaning up a downstairs room in my house last night and found a creepy porcelain doll. Its eyes are entirely lime green, and its head has a disturbing way of slumping over like that split-second shot in "The Ring" where they show that drowned girl in the closet. The room in question used to be full of dolls (the prior owner had a huge collection of them), but both my wife and I swear we threw them all out (in fact, to freak my daughter out we keep saying that there was one that we didn't throw away that haunts the house). The doll was in a drawer in a piece of furniture we brought with us, not one that came with the home. Needless to say, we didn't have any bizarro dolls in our old apartment - it is not something we brought with us. When we took the doll out and stood it up on a dresser, our three dogs started barking violently at it. Though I was tempted to chuck the damn thing immediately, we got to talking about how it could be worth some money, so we're hanging on to it for now until it can be appraised.

The whole time, I was thinking "damn, haven't I seen enough generic evil doll movie plots to know that I'm in one?"

See, you mess with your kid and it comes back to bite you in the ass!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm 

R.I.P. demonomania. :(

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm 

I told my wife that if we find the doll anywhere in another part of the house, we're done for. Hopefully we'll get to hear a nice quip or pun before being stabbed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 332  Next