Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am 

I graduated with a B.S. in Criminal Justice because I wanted to escape the world of IT. Seven years later, I'm in IT . Not sure how that happened.
What about you? What did you study and what's your job right now?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 am 

Philosophy.
...And now i've found a good job in the world of IT :lol:

The magnetic pull of the IT is inescapable!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 pm 

I studied physics and philosophy.

Now I "teach" "English" to apathetic teenagers.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

BA in Creative Writing with a Classical Cultures minor. Working in an office where I audit mortgage documents and work with spreadsheets. I'm honestly okay with it, I never knew what I wanted to do for a "real" job so I'm content to type and listen to music all day. It's how I get all my reviews written.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:13 pm 

AAS in Graphic Design
AAS in Animation
Bachelor's in Game and Application Design
Certificate in Geospatial Analysis (military)

So nothing useful that betters the world in any way. At least I'm finally working in the art industry in some capacity. Took longer than I'd hoped.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm 

A few philosophers so far!

I also studied philosophy and cultural studies. Currently a few years in to a philosophy PhD. Recently started teaching college classes on it, but still have some coursework and about to start on my dissertation proposal. So that's my job, I guess.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 pm 

I still study in college + I have part time job in IT. This semester I've missed a lot because of my work. Currently I'm working on my research paper, I had no idea it would be so hard. I think I'll buy research papers to save my time. Next year I am going to get my graduate degree in Computer Science.

Last edited by kellyon on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:27 pm 

I'm not a college graduate, but as I intend to go back, I'll say that my plan is to study linguistics, with a view to pursuing philology. I think I have a gift for it, and I can't see myself ever getting tired of the subject. Secondarily, I'll probably study education; what else can you do with a linguistics degree but teach, or work for a dictionary (which I'd love to do)?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:33 pm 

I mostly studied the menu at the nearby pubs... and now I work in IT.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 pm 

I studied geomatics/land surveying and I've been working in the field for ehhh 14 years or so. I consider myself pretty lucky, I sort of stumbled into it. I went to a recruitment thing for a technical college, saw a 10 minute presentation and learned it had something to do with satellites and maps and maybe math or angles or whatever.... and I just went for it and put my savings in for tuition a few days later.

Turned out I liked it, excelled in school, there was demand for jobs when I graduated, and I was good at them. I'm really not sure if that decision was luck or intuition. It is just a job, but I'm happy to work in something I'm good at and can enjoy the work.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm 

Some physics & astronomy, which turned into a hobby. My degree ended up as applied mathematics, which comes in handy designing software tools for companies to do things.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:00 am 

Geomatics/GIS.... annnnnd I drive a Pepsi truck for a living ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Having said that, I haven't exactly tried the hardest at finding permanent employment in the field. I graduated from a tech college this past summer but am planning to upgrade what I have into a degree over the next couple years.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:02 am 

Studied IT -> Work at IT
Who would have thought that 90% of it is just googling shit and copy/pasting.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:07 am 

B.A double major Philosophy and Sociology
Trade certificate in Audio Engineering
Masters in Library Science

Currently working for a big multinational publisher/library software vendor.

Worked in IT for 10 years, started out working in libraries and bookshops - came back to that career in the end

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 am 

B.A. Law, Economics, and Policy, graduated 2014.

... and I'm unemployed. Had jobs in aerospace, insurance, and teaching english in Korea between graduating and now. I like to think of my current state as "self-employed" but all things point to sitting on my ass.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Doors of Stone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:53 am 

I'm currently studying International Business Communication. The degree fits me like a glove, and I wish I could do my master's degree in it. The problem is that the particular language I want (German) isn't offered by my university and the university offering it only takes seven people. Therefore, I'm looking into alternatives right now.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:57 am 

I studied chemistry and now work in a forensic laboratory as a trace evidence analyst, really something I wished for during my education and lucky to have a job in the field

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 am 

Pedagogy, I now teach English to young kids ranging from 4 years old to 13 years old. A job I hated at first but have learnt to like (and love at times) with time.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 am 

Religion
Philosophy
Pedagogy
Didactics

And for a short while real estate as well but it was not for me.

Now I teach religion, philosophy and some sociology at upper secondary school level.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:22 pm 

I have a MA in Medieval History. I was going to go on and teach but I wanted a family and 10 years as a adjunct prof in near poverty before tenure (if it ever comes) sounded shity so I went back to renovations. The later I got a master in library science. Still looking for a library related job as I coordinate installs for a big box hardware retailer.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:54 pm 

sjw shit, quad major BA in Literature (linguistics), Philosophy, Theology, Political Science. I now run a database and perform tech support for a firm specializing in higher ed. nice job.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:24 pm 

Have a BA in history. Found some alright work like a political research contract but it became painfully obvious to me that I wasn't going anywhere with the education I had. Currently going back to college (guess this would be the equivalent to community college in the States) for an intensive law clerk certificate.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:24 pm 

I have a dual Bachelors in International Relations and History, a Masters in War Studies, and a Masters in Political Management. I currently work in government relations in Ottawa.

One day I plan to do a PhD, probably abroad.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:43 pm 

I have a high school teaching degree for the "social universe" so history, geography, politics etc. It's gonna take a while before I get a permanency and a good job.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:00 pm 

An equivalent (roughly) of a MA in English Studies with my major being American Culture and Literature. Wrote my paper on "American heavy metal and hardcore punk as countercultural movements". Never worked 9-to-5 - I work as journalist (video games), translator (this being my main job), copywriter, editor and I co-run a publishing/merchandise company.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:59 am 

BA Psychology/English
MSc Psychology
MSc Cognitive Science
MSc Library and Information Science

I also have a CELTA which, because it's a Cambridge-issued certificate, is the nicest looking of the lot. For the Library and Information Science Master's I worked with machine learning (text classification) using R and Python and the Naive Bayes classifier for my thesis, so that was the most challenging degree for me, but brings me to my next point which is if I could do it all over again I would hands down do a Bachelor's in Comp Science, then a Master's in Machine Learning, focus heavily on the linear algebra (as vectors in machine learning are your friend), then get into deep learning, because I find neural networks fascinating.

My job is working as an academic librarian at one of Sweden's best universities. My focus is on teaching, so I teach the uni students how to search for scientific articles effectively, how to use databases, source criticism and so on. I have a lot of freedom at work and the work conditions in Sweden are fantastic (I've lived and worked in six different countries so I can make valid comparisons). Salary is good but not sure if I will do this forever. Considering doing an MA in English Lit on the side next year simply to improve my critical analyses of books (reading novels is by far my favorite hobby).

Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:00 am 

Biochemistry, but I never finished. I doubt I ever will.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:22 am 

Calamity_Cometh wrote:
Biochemistry, but I never finished. I doubt I ever will.

Don't give up, you can do it. It's an interesting field.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:31 am 

Man wtf I'm trying to get into IT, what's the secret guys? I have 2 Associate's degrees in Computer Programming and CS and I'm almost done with my Bachelor's. I'm in fucking LA and supposedly there are a ton of jobs but I'm having no luck. Is LinkedIn my best bet?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am 

Job hunting is beyond rough. Getting rejected/ghosted by almost everyone is the norm. I myself am searching for full time positions once I graduate, and while I've had a few interviews, I've got no offers yet.

Networking with people in general can greatly increase your chances. You can definitely try LinkedIn or just talking with people in general.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:44 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Man wtf I'm trying to get into IT, what's the secret guys? I have 2 Associate's degrees in Computer Programming and CS and I'm almost done with my Bachelor's. I'm in fucking LA and supposedly there are a ton of jobs but I'm having no luck. Is LinkedIn my best bet?

A fair question. Essentially finding a job comes down to luck, pretty much being in the right place at the right time. What does that mean? Well, it means you should not give up (as annoying as that sounds to the job seeker), and just keep applying. The American economy is doing really well at the moment, hate Trump or not, but that's basically all you want from a presidency, so your chances of finding a job increase drastically. I know it can be tough and frustrating, but hang in there. Hopefully something comes along for you soon.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:17 pm 

BA Hons in Zoology. Wanted to go into a career studying animal behaviour. I was too lazy / complacent in my second year, and by the time I got my act together in my final year, I'd left myself a bit too much to do. Missed out on a 2.1 by less than half a percent.

I currently do admin and a bit of lab work for a clinical trials department in a hospital.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:00 pm 

A qualification in medical testing, as well as working through a commerce degree. I work in cybersecurity.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:26 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Religion
Philosophy
Pedagogy
Didactics

How many years did it take you to complete all these majors?

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:27 pm 

Already graduated Electrical Engineering. Unemployed.
Getting tired of this ****. I used my savings for 1 year just for break.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:17 pm 

I majored in English, and spent my elective courses learning Japanese, breezing through Astronomy and Meteorology (subjects I already was very well-versed in), and Theater...until the teacher went insane and wanted us to create a perfect verisimilitude of our daily activities and I'm like, "Bitch, I'm not dragging the entire contents of my computer desk here, get the fuck outta here with that shit." Also, isn't that antithetical to acting, in general? It's like method acting for the insufferably lazy.

And then my other electives were just more English and Japanese classes, because I loved those professors and wanted to take more classes with them.

Baron_Bukkake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:53 pm 

I’ve got a degree in social work. I spent four years as a counselor/tutor for high schoolers at a really unique non-profit. It was a cool job besides calling CPS, having to see child pornography, and getting followed home by members of the Bloods.

We lost funding and now I work at a restaurant and will probably continue on in the food industry, as the world of non-profits, grants, and super corrupt local governments aren’t really for me.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:34 am 

Baron_Bukkake wrote:
I’ve got a degree in social work. I spent four years as a counselor/tutor for high schoolers at a really unique non-profit. It was a cool job besides calling CPS, having to see child pornography, and getting followed home by members of the Bloods.

How does this end up in your job description? :scratch:

I started higher education late. Essentially a 3 year BA has become 5 while working part time. I've finished my BA History major requirements, just need to do one more year to finish off a few points papers. No real plans career wise after that, probably just see if there's something in the government departments going (bonus if it can utilize my research skills).

Godcrusher66
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:06 pm 

B.S. in Justice Studies concentrating in Policing and Law Enforcement. I worked as a Corrections Officer for 3 years.
A.S. in Criminal Justice
Certificate in Homeland Security.

Planning to pursue my Masters in Public Policy

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:19 pm 

MA in Sociology

unemployed for years \m/, but freelancing whenever I can...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next