Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
b_o
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:45 am 

Hi there,

I like and buy a lot of black metal stuff, and some of them only edit their music in the tape/cassette format.

How the hell am I supposed to play those tapes ?
i can't find anywhere thos good ol cassette player anymore. Specially if i want something to play trough an RCA amp, not just a tape > usb mp3 transfer player.

Can somebody help me please ?

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:19 am 

It's a mystery, no one knows.*

*a tape deck or a walkman. There's a shitload of them on Ebay or check on Craiglist/pawn shops/your dad's attic etc...

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm 

Tape players (often as a combined radio/tape/CD portable player) are still being produced and sold. Manufacturers include Sony and Philips, who may be more reliable in performance and durability than cheapo no-name-brands. Depending on where you live, you likely do not even have to go to an expensive store; your country may well have its own big and commercially successful chain of consumer home electronics supermarkets. In Switzerland, you can get hold of these combo players for approx. 50-80 US dollars.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 pm 

I was absolutely shocked the last time I tried to buy a new portable boom box/stereo, how limited the selection was as far as those with tape decks. With that said, there are options available, as mentioned, but it takes more work to find one. It practically IS impossible to get a car stereo with a tape deck anymore though.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:17 pm 

In a tape player that actually works, ideally.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I was absolutely shocked the last time I tried to buy a new portable boom box/stereo, how limited the selection was as far as those with tape decks. With that said, there are options available, as mentioned, but it takes more work to find one. It practically IS impossible to get a car stereo with a tape deck anymore though.

Random fun fact: A 2010 Lexus my dad has was the last car made in the US with a tape deck built in.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 pm 

Heck, a lot of cars don't even come with CD Players anymore. They expect everyone to just plug in an I-Pod, or have Pandora or something.

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 pm 

My cassette player got lost in the move and is probably still in Washington :(

I hate music

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:46 pm 

If you end up buying one of those "all in one" stereos that does play tapes (I have one through Phillips) make sure to pay attention to whether the tape deck has a FF/RW option. Mine does not and it's VERY irritating.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:36 am 

I don't. I only have a single tape in my collection, as bought it on accident (well, I knew there was a chance of it being a tape, but since it was cheap and the distro didn't specify, I figured there was a chance of it being a CD as well), and I never play it. I have the same songs in digital format on my computer anyway, and it's far more convenient to play them on that.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:10 am 

I have a Sony cassette/CD/radio boombox which for some reason is the most reliable cassette deck I've ever owned.. even old worn out fucked up tapes sound amazing on it. Has a line-out too, so it's easily plugged into a 3.5mm/RCA output cable. They seem to be out of production now but you can probably find one easily enough, and portability is always a bonus.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

:lol: Seriously, OP made me lawl.

It's not so hard to find either a tape deck or a combo player for cheap even now. Try an independent electronic shop for example (though I admit the paranoiac in me is tempted to go buy multiple back up stereos for a potential future without proper cd player/tape decks haha). I have an old Panasonic combo stereo from when I was a teen, so I use that.

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:16 am 

Norrmania wrote:
though I admit the paranoiac in me is tempted to go buy multiple back up stereos for a potential future without proper cd player/tape decks

I've been doing that for the past couple of years whenever I have some money left at the end of the month and recall looking for such devices on ebay-like sites right then; neither of those circumstances have occurred all that regularly though. Nevertheless there's a drawer in my room with unused walkmans (walkmen??), MiniDisc players and one of those cherished boomboxes. In the drawer next to it, there's a lasting supply of equally mint chrome quality audio tapes and MiniDiscs.

keletkezes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:06 pm 

Aw crap, I think my parents threw my cassette-radio! The radio wouldn't pick up, but the cassette-playing bit was fine :S Although knowing my parents it's somewhere with all the other half-working stuff still 8)

Twitter: @keletkezes
Facebook: keletkezes
ВКонтакте: Dawn Hazle

Cagejux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:57 pm 

They have equipment you can use to convert tapes over to mp3s.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:08 am 

I finally had to throw away the double cassette player I've had for years and years. =[

When my great uncle died I ended up getting 2 walkmans from his house that he never used though.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:59 am 

DeLorean.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 am 

Build your own stereo. You can get components at thrift stores, pawn shops to a lesser extent (as stereos are sadly kind of outdated now let alone cassette decks), ebay, craigslist. Of course you can also get an old walkman for a couple $ at pretty much any thrift store or ebay. Putting together a stereo is fun, it'll sound good with some decent speakers and a receiver where you can adjust things to your liking, you can play all formats of music in it if you get the components, and it looks and is cool as fuck. Plus it's a great place to stick band stickers, lol.

Jonpo wrote:
If you end up buying one of those "all in one" stereos that does play tapes (I have one through Phillips) make sure to pay attention to whether the tape deck has a FF/RW option. Mine does not and it's VERY irritating.

It's called a shelf stereo if that helps in your search, OP.

Oxenkiller wrote:

I had the exact same experience a few years ago. I tried to replace my old boombox 2-3 years ago and there were absolutely zero steroes or boomboxes with a tape deck to be found in any store, and even very few with cd players anymore! All the "steroes" had ipod docks and bluetooth something or other and even USB ports. The black, bulky shelf steroes that used to be so popular not that long ago are nowhere to be found and even just cd/radio boomboxes aren't that common anymore.

That's how I ended up putting a stereo together myself and I love it.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:46 am 

Norrmania wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

:lol: Seriously, OP made me lawl.

:D :D :D :D
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

forestcorpse
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 am 

I bought a brand new double tape player a few years ago from an online shop here in Norway.
So much better then trying to find some fo the old ones that might work or not.
Costed a little but worth it in every way!

Also have a cheap walkman I bought not to long ago for taking tapes with me on walks.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:17 pm 

A few years ago I walked to the store and bought a 15 dollar tape player that plugged straight into my computer. Easy tape ripping time. A couple years after that it was stolen! :grr:

The lesson is, it's easy to get a tape player, but don't pin your hopes and dreams on it.

dragons_secrets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:51 pm 

Awhile back, I bought a JVC double tape deck from Goodwill for $6. Best sounding deck I've ever owned. Really made me want to invest in more cassettes.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Lucifurniture
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 am 

I have a 4-track recorder for musician purposes, so i just pop the tape in there, hook it up to the computer and transfer it to MP3.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am 

Amazon sell a few players that are still capable of cassette output.. all within the £20 - £50 price-range.

Sony CFD-S70 Classic CD and Tape Boombox
Lloytron Portable Stereo CD and Tape Player
Philips AZ127/05

etc.

I mainly play BM demo/EP cassettes so I don't go too 'audiophile' and worry about the sound-quality too much. imho the crappier the speakers the better the cassettes are anyway if you're after the authentic-vintage nostalgia.

Reply to topic