Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:13 am 

Car Bomb are going to release their new album called Meta on October 28. They've released two songs so far: "From the Dust of This Planet" and "Sets".

"From the Dust of This Planet" sounds really good, but "Sets" absolutely blew me away. I hope the rest of the album is like that. Their particular brand of hyper-mathy djent with super weird time signatures continues to impress, and it sounds like they've upped their game from w^w^^w^w, which was also a really great album.

Pre-orders are available on their Bandcamp, but shipping is stupidly expensive on anything other than the CD. I wanted the shirt and poster bundle but shipping to Australia was a whopping $50 so that was a no-go.

Any fans here? I really love "Sets" and would like some more opinions on it. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 am 

I just discovered them a few months ago.Fucking awsome band

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm 

Glad you like them, mate. They're a great band and from the sound of these two songs, that greatness is not only going to continue, but also increase. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:40 pm 

A bit late to the party but whatever. DEP is supposedly done this year, however, Car Bomb & Ion Dissonance are back & are stronger than ever. The new Coma Cluster Void also absolutely crushes. "Mathcore" is in good hands, now if only Genghis Tron could make a comeback.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:37 am 

^That'll be the day. Genghis Tron seem to be going the way of Necrophagist, two albums and then mute.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:48 am 

About Necrophagist: Christian Munzer & Hannes Grossman did go on to form/play in various top-tier tech death bands so I'm not complaining. M Suicmez is in the automobile eng. business from what I've heard & he is earning more than he could ever had with the band.

Genghis Tron had a good thing going on but oh well. You remember the bands Human Abstract, Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza & Psyopus? HA, TDTDE seem to be done for but wikipedia shows Psyopus is still active...what? I thought those guys broke up a long time ago. Also I read somewhere The Number 12 Looks Like You is making a return too.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:21 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Ion Dissonance

Wow, I forgot all about this band. I didn't even realise they were bringing out an album this year. Their first single sounds pretty good! Probably not as good as Car Bomb but I do like it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Mitosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 am 

Been a fan of Car Bomb since I heard M^6 on Myspace back in '07.

Were blown away by the constant changing rhythms, Cielo Drive is wicked.
And after five years when they released "w^w^^w^w" and said that the next album wouldn't take five years to release I almost jizzed in my pants.

For me they are on of the few bands that got their own sound, never found anything like them.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:21 am 

"M^6" is probably my favourite song on Centralia, so good call there.

Overall I think w^w^^w^w is an improvement in every way from Centralia, and judging simply from "Sets," Meta will be a complete improvement again, so I'm impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive which probably won't be until next month anyway, but I'm definitely excited.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Mitosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:47 pm 

Spoiler: show

New song out!
It just keeps getting better and better!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 pm 

They've actually released four songs but I'm holding off after hearing "From the Dust of This Planet" and "Sets" because I want to be surprised. :) I have no doubt that "Black Blood" is awesome, though!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:25 pm 

Love their album cover, looks like some Autechre shit. And the music is sort of Autechre-y in how arrhythmic it is.

Journal also have a new album soon, so yes, mathcore is alive and well.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:50 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some bands that sound like Car Bomb?
This stuff is great. And I don't know anything from that genre unfortunately

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:17 pm 

Dunno, Car Bomb are pretty unique among mathcore bands in how well they incorporate djent elements. Maybe try Frontierer or The Crinn. Or The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza but I personally hate that band.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:12 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some bands that sound like Car Bomb?
This stuff is great. And I don't know anything from that genre unfortunately

Start from early metalcore or "metallic hardcore" bands like Botch, Converge, Shai Hulud, Coalesce then work your way up to mathcore bands like DEP, Psyopus, Ion Dissonance, Car Bomb etc.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am 

I got their last album and loved it so I'll probably get this as well.

Fun fact; Frank Mullen is a big fan of this band. I remember in an interview somewhere they asked him what current music he likes and he couldn't think of anything besides Car Bomb. Maybe they got in touch with him after that because I believe he does guest vocals on the new CD.

Mitosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:11 pm 

Have you found the time to listen to Meta yet?

I love it, it will be in my top 10 for 2016. Just waiting for the new Ion Dissonance to drop now.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:40 pm 

I haven't listened to it yet - waiting for my CD to arrive and I'll listen to the whole thing then. If "From the Dust of This Planet" and "Sets" are anything to go by, it could very well be top 5 of 2016 for sure. I can't wait.

New Ion Dissonance sounds good, too. They kind of lost me with Cursed but the new one sounds promising.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:36 pm 

just listend to this and i have to say it's quite diferent from the previous one,but not in a bad way.It's also way heavier than their previous one which i like a lot.I defenatly recommend this album

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:11 am 

Listened to this a couple of times now. I think it's definitely going to be the one to break them out into a very well-known band now. I may have been a little too hasty in declaring it the best album of 2016, but it's certainly very good. At least on par with w^w^^w^w. It needs many more listens but the mathy djent is in full swing.

In terms of specific songs, I still have a boner for "Sets" because that song owns. I also really like "Constant Sleep" and "Secrets Within." "The Oppressor" has more of a dreamy quality in its ambient section which isn't bad but isn't really congruent with the rest of the album. But these are minor quibbles, really. Meta shows that Car Bomb are a fantastic band and hopefully one that will come to Australia one day to tour.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Mitosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 am 

Wrote down my thoughts, song for song, probably just me that find this interesting!

Spoiler: show
From the Dust of this Planet
Great opener, sonic assault and then the trademark bends and pickscrapes comes in.
I get M^6 vibes Meshuggah - Chaosphere and Deftones vibes.

Secrets Within
Heavy start that evolve into a 'w^w^^w^w' rhythm with the hypnotic start/stop riffing.
I love the effect used on the guitar that gives it a metallic sound during the outro, adds even more heaviness.

Nonagon
Once again I hear the Chaosphere tone to the intro, then it gets into this headbobbing-inducing decending rythm.
"GO!"
After the small break they venture into more jazz and actually does a small spastic solo(!).

Gratitude
Intro, straight up Car Bomb with pickscrapes intervening with the rythm then it goes into Deftones-land.
Dafferner is not Chino Moreno, but he gets the job done with the clean singing and the contrast against the rest of the album makes it work.
Love the riff after about three minutes in.

Constant Sleep
Proper Car Bomb song with an evolving riff that changes constantly.
Then it goes into a section with a strong Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects feel, whispers over a palm-muted chugging.
The breakdown is the slow, dirty and glitchy. I love it.

The Oppressor
Weakest track on the album, it's good but it brings nothing new to the table.
I find myself closing my eyes and just follow the rhythm. This is what Car Bomb does to me. Losing myself in the music, somewhat like meditation.

Black Blood
Stepping up the tempo again, with a spastic riffing that's all over the fret board and time signatures.
And once again I get a picture of Chaosphere in my head, but it's no secret that Car Bomb got some Meshuggah in their blood.
The song slows down and then picks up with a great section that just gets heavier and heavier, ending the song with a fake ending that flows into the next song.

Sets
In this song the bass gets to be the spine and the guitars play around it, then the song moves into safe Car Bomb land and gives you what you want.
They bring the tempo down bit for bit until they hit rock bottom, then they release the mighty Frank fucking Mullen that rumbles over a "back and forth"-riff.
After Mullen they do a small clean section before they start ripping again.

Cenotaph
I get Dilling Espace Plan feels from the intro and the first verse, it's like a heavier slowdown version of DIP.
This is the ultimate mid-tempo song for Car Bomb, great riffs that just pummel away leaving you clueless to if they play 13/8 or 17/16 signatures.
Ending the song with a slowing down, dreamy riff that just keeps on going.

Lights Out
The song builds around tapping, chord/pickscrape and Deftones-dreamy riffs ending with a proper Car Bomb trademark rythm section.
One of the best songs on the album.

Infinite Sun
The finishing touch.
Once again we get a mix between Deftones and Car Bomb, and this combination really works for me.
The contrast from what I've written before as "dreamy" parts and the complex nature of Car Bomb gives the song life.
Halfway in we get a DIP riff that slowly evolves into a proper closure for the album with some hardcore gangshouts contrasting with a Catch 33/ObZen-style riff.

My final judgement, 8/10.
Meta have some low points, but they're are not so low that they drag down the album.
The major influences I can hear is as I said the chaotic Chaosphere mixed up with the clean parts of Deftones and the playfullness of a proper DIP album.

MikeyC wrote:
Listened to this a couple of times now. I think it's definitely going to be the one to break them out into a very well-known band now. I may have been a little too hasty in declaring it the best album of 2016, but it's certainly very good. At least on par with w^w^^w^w. It needs many more listens but the mathy djent is in full swing.

In terms of specific songs, I still have a boner for "Sets" because that song owns. I also really like "Constant Sleep" and "Secrets Within." "The Oppressor" has more of a dreamy quality in its ambient section which isn't bad but isn't really congruent with the rest of the album. But these are minor quibbles, really. Meta shows that Car Bomb are a fantastic band and hopefully one that will come to Australia one day to tour.

As you said, I also beleive that if Car Bomb is getting a larger fanbase it's with this album.
It's not so extreme as Centralia and 'w^w^^w^w' is, they've smoothed out their sound a bit.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:53 pm 

I get what you mean that they've smoothed out their sound a bit, but they're honing in on the type of music they want to play. Nothing wrong with that, but I understand what you're saying.

I read your description of all the songs. Really cool. I agree with you that "The Oppressor" is probably the weakest song on the album. I don't want "meditation" when listening to Car Bomb, though - I want to be stressed out and confused! In that sense "The Oppressor" doesn't work where songs like "Secrets Within" does, which is no surprise that it's one of my favourites from the album.

Anyway, great album. I'll be listening to this one for a while more to better understand everything they're doing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Reply to topic