Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cnt2012
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 am 

Laughed my ass off when Kurt Angle's "secret" was that Jason Jordan was announced as his son. I knew it was going to be one of those "play it up to be nonsensical" moments. But Kudos to Kurt for the tears!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:16 am 

Cnt2012 wrote:
Laughed my ass off when Kurt Angle's "secret" was that Jason Jordan was announced as his son. I knew it was going to be one of those "play it up to be nonsensical" moments. But Kudos to Kurt for the tears!

And here I thought it had something to do with Dixie Carter, but I might be saying that too soon.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:51 pm 

Anyone watching the G1 Climax from New Japan? Some great matches as usual.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:09 pm 

I've been gradually catching up with the G1, about to watch day... 10? 11? There's so much of it that it's tough to remember - the last one I watched was Naito vs Ishii, for the main event - day 9? Whichever is after that. The match quality has been great, although I've been skipping all of the big tag-matches that open up the shows. I gather most people do. The tournament itself has given me a new appreciation for a lot of NJPW's wrestlers; Juice, Sanada, Evil... and I've been finding Toru Yano hilarious.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:42 pm 

The G1 has been absolutely outstanding this year. I just caught up with the weekend's shows this morning, and it's so refreshing seeing great wrestling that makes sense and doesn't make you feel dirty being a wrestling fan like a lot of WWE does.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 pm 

Spoiler: show
G1 is over, and Naito has won. Beat Omega in an absolute instant classic, after both men had similarly instant classics against Tanahashi and Okada respectively. It was insane, and this tournament kicked every kind of ass possible.

Also, Shibata returned before intermission, did a back bump in the ring, and informed everyone that he was alive. This was four months after staring death in the face and bitchslapping it.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 am 

Dat Omega v. Okada III, son. Can't wait for their fourth square-off.

In other news, TakeOver Brooklyn III is this weekend, and so is, begrudgingly outside of a few matches, SummerSlam.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 pm 

How to make people not at all excited for SHINSUKE FUCKING NAKAMURA wrestling for the WWE Championship: Put him against Jinder Mahal with the possibility of a Baron Corbin cash-in looming over the whole thing.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 pm 

Progress in Boston was a damn fine show. Jack Gallagher vs. Travis Banks was the clear MotN, it felt like something from Bryan Danielson's 2005/2006 prime run, and Dakota Kai is the best version of Bayley you'll ever see. The event shirts sold out within 30 minutes of the doors opening, tickets sold out in 24 minutes of going on sale, so there's no way in hell they won't be coming back.

Now if only ICW would make the trek...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 pm 

I'm going to Smackdown in Providence tomorrow. Route 10 down into Cranston has this giant fucking electronic billboard that cycles to Shinsuke Nakamura's face on it periodically. It's great.

Also, in that Gallagher vs. Banks match, who'd be Danielson and who'd be Naomichi Marufuji?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

Gallagher is Bryan, easily. He was in obvious control of the match and had subtle layers behind the bigger spots that made them matter so much more.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm 

Man, why do things seem to move so fast and change so much when you don't keep up with WWE for some months or a couple of years? I didn't even know Kurt Angle was back.

Also, I dunno how you guys can still keep up with WWE weekly. Raw is 3 hours long and it seems like WWE becomes more and more exposed on TV every year. Occasionally I'll watch a WWE video on youtube of a promo on Raw or something, and tbh it ends up being sufficient for me.

Perhaps I'm just outgrowing "fake wrestling". It's nothing more than nostalgia for me by now. I don't have the patience to watch matches any more even. I even forget the Royal Rumble these days. Anyone else feels the same?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Man, why do things seem to move so fast and change so much when you don't keep up with WWE for some months or a couple of years? I didn't even know Kurt Angle was back.

Also, I dunno how you guys can still keep up with WWE weekly. Raw is 3 hours long and it seems like WWE becomes more and more exposed on TV every year. Occasionally I'll watch a WWE video on youtube of a promo on Raw or something, and tbh it ends up being sufficient for me.

Perhaps I'm just outgrowing "fake wrestling". It's nothing more than nostalgia for me by now. I don't have the patience to watch matches any more even. I even forget the Royal Rumble these days. Anyone else feels the same?

I usually just read about it on sites. Only time I ever watch is parts of PPV's(usually the RR and Wrestlemania).

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm 

I casually follow WWE because a lot of talents I've loved for years (namely AJ Styles and Samoa Joe) are there, and others I've thought highly of (Aleister Black, Tommaso Ciampa, Adam Cole, soon Ricochet) are making waves.

On that topic, Black/Cole was better than Almas/Gargano. Simply put, Black is on track to being a true legend if he can get better at promos (where he's serviceable but not great), Cole has a mastery of how to engage a crowd, and Gargano has never done anything for me.

New Impact tapings air tonight, the first ones with Don Callis/Scott D'Amore being the shot callers.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 am 

I thought the Almas/Gargano match was absolutely out of this world. It's very easily the best NXT singles match since Zayn vs. Nakamura in Dallas a couple years ago, and it might actually be a little better than that one because of the story and stakes that went into it. It deserved every single one of the five stars that Meltzer gave it.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:14 am 

Subrick wrote:
I thought the Almas/Gargano match was absolutely out of this world. It's very easily the best NXT singles match since Zayn vs. Nakamura in Dallas a couple years ago, and it might actually be a little better than that one because of the story and stakes that went into it. It deserved every single one of the five stars that Meltzer gave it.

The problem is that Meltzer tangled with the scale. His highest rated match is now six stars and one fourth! Which effectively devalues the rating of something as five stars. Apparently he has done so before but its just stupid in my opinion. The scale should be stable, which is why a % system perhaps is to be preferred (although I'm sure some reviewers have tried to tangle with that as well giving thing a rating of 110% or some other illogical absurdity).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 am 

Meltz doesn't put as much faith into star ratings as people think, though. It's more a reflection of his own attitude and demeanor during the match, easily influenced by outside variables (like whether he's friends with the worker or not). That people give his reviews as much credit as they do is odd based on that alone.

darkeningday wrote:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Meltz doesn't put as much faith into star ratings as people think, though. It's more a reflection of his own attitude and demeanor during the match, easily influenced by outside variables (like whether he's friends with the worker or not). That people give his reviews as much credit as they do is odd based on that alone.

Rating systems are good when you have "gotten to know" the reviewer. In Meltzers case I often though his puroresu ratings were spot on in the mid-00's. Especially for NOAH. Whenever he rates lucha libre high or some independent stuff like ROH (high energy, high spots, high flying type of wrestling) I usually know I won't like it as much. His WWE ratings have been around what I usually think. And today, as great as NJPW is at the moment, I think his ratings are inflated a bit when it comes to their matches.

When I know how I usually stand in relation to Meltzers opinion the star rating system is a nice indicator that I can use to get an idea of if I would enjoy match X or show Y.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am 

It just dawned on me that NJPW inking a licensing deal with Fire Pro World could open up the ROH roster by proxy. Ditto CMLL.

Now all we need is a US console release.

darkeningday wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:46 pm 

BRYAN HAS BEEN MEDICALLY CLEARED TO RETURN

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm 

Rezz'ing this because last week may have been the greatest week for match quality in the history of wrestling, and all of it comes from New Japan Pro Wrestling. Between the last two days of Best of the Super Juniors and Dominion a few days later, we saw some of the craziest, most entrancing matches ever in Will Ospreay vs. Flip Gordon, SHO vs. Marty Scurll, Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA, Hiromu vs. Taiji Ishimori, Ospreay vs. Takahashi, Tetsuya Naito vs. Chris Jericho, and lastly, the fourth match between Kazuchika Okada and Kenny Omega, which many are calling the single greatest match in the history of professional wrestling. Okada and Omega are this generation's Flair and Steamboat, in that every single match they have is the new greatest match ever, and it's not just smoke blown up one's ass by saying it. They are legitimately the two single best wrestlers in the world today, and possibly ever.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 pm 

MLW is back and has a weekly show on beIn Sports that gets uploaded to YouTube. If you're a fan of how Gary Hart booked World Class or the classic ECW Hardcore TV approach? You'll dig it.

darkeningday wrote:

jamessharison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:03 am 

Love wrestling !!! Watch every fight if miss one then I see on youtube but can miss yeah!!!!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 am 

So I've been playing SmackDown vs. Raw 2006 again recently and it holds up better than I remembered it. I'm surprised it has aged rather well. 2007 hasn't aged as well.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am 

That's the last WWE game I think is actually good. It was a great balance of the arcade-y action that HCTP perfected and the pseudo-simulator that the later games have been trying to be.

Also, if you're not watching MLW Fusion? You don't know quality wrestling storytelling. Fuck NJPW, this is a great modern version of classic World Class/Mid-South/ECW style programming.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
That's the last WWE game I think is actually good. It was a great balance of the arcade-y action that HCTP perfected and the pseudo-simulator that the later games have been trying to be.

Man, I totally had forgotten about people like Joy Giovanni and Mark Jindrak. Thanks SvR 2006 for making me think of those people for the first time in years.

I've heard mixed things about the 2K games. Been told 2k14 is the best one, mostly for the roster full of legends, the CAW mode and the Universe mode where you can run your own show. Also been told that game is the closest to a modern day version of No Mercy there is.

I think No mercy and DOR 2 came closer to emulating an actual wrestling match than SvR 06 and HCTP did, but in the case of No mercy tis age clearly shows and the GameCube was a bit limited. DOR 2 pushed GC to the limit. It only had 5 legend spots and the roster in the game is kinda thin. Granted it has a pretty good CAW system and the moves of guys like Goldberg, Lesnar, etc if you want to create them, but it's a bit disheartening popping up a wrestling game and see the roster filled with the likes of the Basham Brothers, Heidenreich, Rene Dupree, Chris Masters and Kenzo Suzuki. I doubt many people wanted to play with those guys even back in 2005.

I haven't watched a WWE show since 2016. Tbh, if I want to check what's going on I'll just watch a few WWE videos on youtube. Their videos usually tell you the important stuff you need to know about what happened in Raw or SmackDown. So yeah, screw watching 3 hours(well, more like 2 hours and 20 minutes with a ton of ads in-between).

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:52 pm 

The most WWE anything I've watched since 2014 has been this year's WrestleMania. Not giving a shit about the stories or match quality made the show a delight, and that's clearly what the company really wants to be: disposable fluff entertainment. That's not to say wrestling is some high brow stuff, it's theater at its most basic, but but any other show that receives this much negative criticism from its fanbase usually switches things up.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The most WWE anything I've watched since 2014 has been this year's WrestleMania. Not giving a shit about the stories or match quality made the show a delight, and that's clearly what the company really wants to be: disposable fluff entertainment. That's not to say wrestling is some high brow stuff, it's theater at its most basic, but but any other show that receives this much negative criticism from its fanbase usually switches things up.

I haven't even watched the last two Royal Rumbles, and that was a match I watched every year, regardless.

That's the thing. WWE seems to have a LOT of good talent on paper but I keep hearing how they can't use it right. Kinda sounds similar to WCW which had a massive roster full of talented guys with potential yet misused a lot of them. I've been told that nowadays you could not watch WWE for months and come back and not miss a thing.

What good is it to have a lot good talent and paying them paychecks if you're not gonna fully tap into their potential? I honestly feel like WWE just signs some popular indy guys or guys from Japan and TNA because they want to trademark/copyright their names, ring attires, catchphrases and moves(in case they are aren't able to keep their original name like Brian Danielson wasn't) and make money out of them forever even if they eventually leave the company or die. They brought Sting in basically to make him job to Triple H which a lot of people complained about, but I'm sure WWE have made some money releasing Sting action figures under their name. At this point, WWE is basically a museum of pro wrestling as a whole, especially American wrestling. They even inducted Jeff Jarrett into the HOF and he didn't exactly do a lot of memroable and impressive stuff in his WWE days. When I think of Double J i think of TNA. Not to mention he was someone who was supposedly blacklisted from the company forever like Warrior and Savage were. And if Savage had not died I'm positive we'd have seen him on WWE tv eventually again.

WWE feels more and more like the Disney equivalent of a wrestling company. In fact, who's to say Disney won't make a bid for it once Vinnie Mac finally kicks the bucket?

Thing is, even if WWE is considered more of a joke than ever these days it's VERY in the green in terms of profit and the Network seems successful and WWE related videos on youtube get A TON of views. I also doubt it's just kids buying merch and tickets since they have to rely on their parents and don't have a lot of personal disposable income. I think a lot of adult wrestling fans are in the closet more than ever.

I dunno what it is about WWE and pro wrestling, but I can go months without thinking slightly about ti and then suddenly a bug bites me and I find myself watching promos and segments on youtube again. When I think I've finally outgrown it for good BOOM.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

Sorry for the double post, but I watched Extreme Rules last night and it was pretty mediocre. Pretty much every match was mediocre and had a bad ending. People rave about Kevin Owens Foley-like spot but it's a spot we've seen a million times in cage matches.

Why does Corbin wrestle dressed like he just came out of his job as a barista at a country club?

Why is the PPV still called Extreme Rules? Is this what is considered extreme in WWE nowadays? Why was the most extreme match of the night between Alexa Bliss and Nia Jax?

As for Asuka losing again to Carmella... well I guess WWE just don't have enough faith in a foreign wrestler with a thick accent whose first language isn't English to be the top face of their division.

No wonder more and more fans are caring less about WWE, and I've been told Backlash was an evne worse PPV than this one. Yikes.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm 

Bumping this because the Elite (Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, etc.) are starting their own promotion ALL ELITE WRESTLING after the success of their indie event All In. They've also announced their second event, Double or Nothing, for later this year and will be making official announcements regarding AEW at a press conference on January 19th...directly across from the arena where SmackDown is being taped that night.

Also? AEW owner Tony Khan is the multi-billionaire son of Shahid Khan, co-owner of the Fulham FC (Premier League) and Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL). He's also been outed as a contributor to Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter in the past, with several rumors indicating that Turner Broadcasting could be interested in airing AEW programming thanks to this affiliation.

Shots. Fucking. Fired.

darkeningday wrote:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Bumping this because the Elite (Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, etc.) are starting their own promotion ALL ELITE WRESTLING after the success of their indie event All In. They've also announced their second event, Double or Nothing, for later this year and will be making official announcements regarding AEW at a press conference on January 19th...directly across from the arena where SmackDown is being taped that night.

Also? AEW owner Tony Khan is the multi-billionaire son of Shahid Khan, co-owner of the Fulham FC (Premier League) and Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL). He's also been outed as a contributor to Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter in the past, with several rumors indicating that Turner Broadcasting could be interested in airing AEW programming thanks to this affiliation.

Shots. Fucking. Fired.

(I had to wait until I caught the WrestleKingdon broadcast on AXS last night before replying, so as to avoid spoilers)

Now, hang on, don;t get too excited yet :lol:.

There's no official word right now that Omega will be involved in this promotion. Yes, he did the job to Tanahashi at WK13, but supposedly he has a "fantastic offer" from WWF (yes, it will always be WWF to me, I don't care what the official name is) on the table. In all honesty, I was really hoping-despite the obvious indicators-that Omega would go over at WK13, and continue his IWGP HW title reign in New Japan. But for mow, it's not a done deal that Omega will end up in AEW (come on, the "Elite will always stick together" narrative is complete kayfabe).

That said, regardless of Omega, I have definite interest in AEW. I though All In was all around excellent-not the godly, revolutionary show it was portrayed as, but excellent nonetheless.

I've been a long time lapsed fan (this time since 2011), and nothing can ever convince me to watch WWF again (it's a damn kid's show), and TNA (again, will always be TNA to me) is a complete joke, but having NJPW on AXS and ROH on Fite have sparked my interest to a degree (I was also big on Lucha Underground until a carriage dispute took El Ray off my provider). I'm slowly making my way back to certain pro wrestling shows being appointment watching.

Point being, AEW could also be appointment watching, and in fact has high potential to be. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.
Obliteration

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 am 

Festivus wrote:
So I've been playing SmackDown vs. Raw 2006 again recently and it holds up better than I remembered it. I'm surprised it has aged rather well. 2007 hasn't aged as well.

I would like SDvR 2006 more if the difficulty wasn't screwed. I mean even on the normal setting, the computer counters every move you try to do. I find 2007 to be superior for that reason and also because the overall roster is better (2006 had some guys that were only on that year). In fact 2007 is the best WWE game ever made in my opinion. After all, I have been playing in the general manager mode on 2007 ever since it came out and I'm still not tired of it.

Anyway, yeah. I've been keeping up with WWE mainly though the highlight videos on Youtube. I also watch ROH sometimes. Used to a be a fan of Impact but I can't get into them anymore.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Point being, AEW could also be appointment watching, and in fact has high potential to be. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

It's going to come down to who's booking. With a weekly show, they're going to need somebody (or at least a small committee) who can pace out ideas and keep track of all the extraneous information to feed into it. One of my favorite parts of All In was that each match felt like there was history going into it, that they didn't exist within a vacuum, and for a one off? I love how they referenced every promotion that's mattered to the Bucks and Omega, talked up the UK scene, recited NJPW and WWE statistics...it was a small thing that cemented the credibility quickly.

dragons_secrets wrote:
In fact 2007 is the best WWE game ever made in my opinion. After all, I have been playing in the general manager mode on 2007 ever since it came out and I'm still not tired of it.

Oddly enough, the drop in difficulty and slowing of gameplay is why I think 2007 is when the series starting dropping. Ultimate Control grapples were great in theory, but not everybody needed them and the system felt like a slightly upgraded version of what Legends of Wrestling had been offering for years at that point.

darkeningday wrote:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:16 pm 

One thing about AEW seems very promising - Cody's hatred of Russo. The biggest mistake someone can make while starting a wrestling promotion in 2019 is hiring Vince Russo to work for them. It should be obvious to anyone with a sane mind that Russo should be kept away from the product at all times.

However I am not advocating hiring Cornette either (although I much prefer him to Russo) - as this, in my mind, would also be a dead-end path. You gotta work in the characters/storylines aspect while showcasing amazing wrestling and I am not sure Cornette can do that with a modern wrestling product.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Oddly enough, the drop in difficulty and slowing of gameplay is why I think 2007 is when the series starting dropping. Ultimate Control grapples were great in theory, but not everybody needed them and the system felt like a slightly upgraded version of what Legends of Wrestling had been offering for years at that point.

Now that I think about it, I would almost rank 2008 ahead of 2007 since that year added the ECW brand. But I still give the edge to 2007. SDvR 2009 is actually great as far the in ring gameplay goes, but the game gets old fast because there is no general manager mode (the main feature that gives 2006-2008 such replay value IMO) and the career mode is extremely lacking. 2010 is where they lost me completely.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:04 pm 

A shame Asuka's reign is already over. But tbh, it's obvious Asuka will never be more than just another female wrestler in WWE. For starters, her English isn't very good overall, and that's gonna be a problem in a company that favours mic skills and entertainment like WWE. Second, she's already a bit old by WWE divas standards. She's approaching 40. I know WWE loves to talk about their so called "Women's Revolution" but that's mostly a PR thing by them. It's obvious they prefer younger, better looking and fitter chicks. It might be more subtle nowadays, but it's obvious a lot of their women have done surgery of some form and that there's some sex appeal about them. Now, I personally think Asuka is a very attractive lady, but I'm probably on the minority on this one. Clearly the audience in general seems to prefer the likes of Becky and Alexa Bliss. Just go on any wrestling forum and see what Divas the users drool over the most. And finally, Asuka doesn't really have connections to anyone in the company. Someone like Charlotte Flair, for example, is related to Ric Flair, so ofc that's gonna give her a huge advantage.

Personally, I'm glad enough already that Asuka actually had a winning streak and won the SmackDown Women's Championship.

Speaking of the women, I've never thought I'd see a woman getting as over as Becky Lynch has gotten in WWE lately. And I don't mean getting over in a Torrie Wilson or Sable way.

As for AEW, haven't watched anything yet, but I'm really glad that another major wrestling federation has popped up. All it took was one loaded guy to start it all. Can't believe it took so long for such thing to happen. Most fans kept saying ti was impossible for such a new Ted Turner to emerge, but only time will tell.

Also, Batista vs. Triple H in 2019 kinda ruins their 2005 feud which was perfect and one of the best programs ever. Batista and Triple H are both like 50 now. WWE really should stop with these nostalgia matches. They've even pretty much killed Undertaker's aura at this point, which is something I've never thought it would happen. But oh well, that's what happens when a company can't build new stars properly. And I guess now Triple H will finally have his payback against Batista after putting him over 3 PPVs in a row cleanly in 2005. Hunter truly never forgets...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 pm 

You're not alone on Asuka, and if you creep to sections of the IWC that skew a little older (as in "bought Apter mags and traded tapes" older) you'll find more love for the Asuka, Molly Holly, Victoria, Ivory, and so on types. Vince, though, clearly prefers bottle blondes and a visible ribcage.

Technically speaking, AEW hasn't ran a show yet, so you haven't missed anything. All In was what cemented the AEW idea in their heads, but it was still primarily billed as an all-star one off featuring NJPW/ROH/AAA/indie talent and not one particular flag.It wasn't the greatest show ever but it was pretty damn good, one heavily enhanced by the vibe and aura. That's the magic of pro wrestling, though, as a good match/card is quickly turned into greatness just by the liveliness of the crowd. It's what made ECW and early ROH work so well.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:28 pm 

Yes, I remember a lot of love for Molly Holly and Victoria a decade ago. Neither women were particularly my thing in terms of looks but they were phenomenal athletes. I dunno why Victoria never achieved much tbh. She was mostly someone to job to Trish or Lita. I guess it's because WWE back then cared even less for women's wrestling. As for Ivory, she did ok in Right to Censor and I really enjoyed some of her shoot interviews. She seemed like a cool person. Haven't seen really her in many proper matches to judge her talent.

I'm also gonna be 100% honest with you here, as a straight man I don't mind seeing hot women in wrestling. My teenage self definitely appreciated the likes of Candice, Torrie, Trish, Melina, etc. back in the day... but God I hated those stupid Diva Search segments that filled in 15 minutes of Raw. Plus, even my teenage self sometimes thought they went a bit too far with their over sexualisation of women. Especially with stupid lesbian like angles and such. It did not offend me by any means, but I wanted to watch wrestling. If I wanted to watch just hot chicks doinf suggestive things like that I'd just go watch actual porn. A wrestling show should be able to combine both a women's abilities and looks, imo. But if she's ugly and can wrestle and talk then by all means push her as well. Don't just hire pretty faces if they suck on the mic and cant' wrestle, like Kelly Kelly, for example. At least Candice Michelle improved in the ring somewhat from 2007 on. Trish was also originally brought in for eye candy and to play the dumb naive blonde, but she became a pretty alright wrestler instead of just conforming and portraying a bimbo eye candy character on TV forever.

Now, if WWE claim to be PG and care about women's wrestling then they should be upfront about it and actually practice what they preach and prioritise talent over looks. They shouldn't do things that go against their supposed policy. Again, as a straight male I do appreciate Alexa Bliss's looks... but she's not as talented as Asuka, for example.

Funny enough there's some rather sensual Asuka images and videos online. Nothing explicit or anything, but she definitely had some bikini wearing photoshoots back in her Japan days. I'm gonna guess WWE would ask her to do that too if we were in 2004 and she was a decade younger.

Oh I see. I thought that 2-3 hour thing on youtube was a proper show. Are they still looking for a TV deal?

Wrestling is a strange thing. I'll forget about it for a few weeks/months and then suddenly remember it and start caring about ti again. It's funny.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:38 am 

Quick bites...

-WrestleMania weekend is far too bloated. This graphic has every major show happening around the area over the weekend. Bear in mind that every non-WWE card features many crossover talent. It would be like if Maryland Death Fest filled half of its lineup with bands and side projects that shared members. This is only going to speed up this bubble's eventual burst.

-Progress Wrestling was more interesting before it became the cool show to watch. Since taking off and especially since the WWE deal, Jim Smallman's (owner of the company and head booker) banter has only grown more intrusive and masturbatory, with him regularly taking the piss out of legitimately quality segments.

-Not all's bad about Progress, though. Do Not Resuscitate is a hot act and Spike Trivet might be my favorite promo right now.

-Highspots has a killer streaming service. Every PWG show, every major CZW show, a ton of classic ECW fancam footage, a bunch of shoot interviews, and practically every worthwhile indie of the US/Canada. The only biggie missing, I think, is Quebec's (awesome) IWS, the home company of Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn.

-FUUUUUUCK that guy who tackled Bret Hart at the Hall of Fame. I loved seeing Harry Smith and Dash Wilder knock his ass out.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 am 

The Ring of Honor half of G1 Supercard was a complete fucking shitshow compared to the New Japan half. It's astonishing how poorly ROH came across tonight.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next