Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 am 

Just released this for anyone interested! Cool animated video link at the bottom.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:40 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
LazerHawk has always been of the more dreamy variety of synthwave, (I guess the subgenre would be dreamwave).

Not like the new album. I confess to only having skimmed it for now, but the impression is that it's more like Sunny-Miami-palm-trees-feelgood-dreamy, not cruising-through-outer-space-in-a-DeLorean-dreamy. Important distinction!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:06 am 

Azmodes wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
LazerHawk has always been of the more dreamy variety of synthwave, (I guess the subgenre would be dreamwave).

Not like the new album. I confess to only having skimmed it for now, but the impression is that it's more like Sunny-Miami-palm-trees-feelgood-dreamy, not cruising-through-outer-space-in-a-DeLorean-dreamy. Important distinction!

The difference between Outrun and Wizball i.e. driving around on long roads with palm trees versus bouncing around on a lifeless planet as a green asteroid with a face.

A personal favorite style of mine - now that we're making small distinction and aside from the 80s dystopian cyberpunk future - is the oppressing, threatening style of Alex's Blood Cult. There's an omnipresent sense of supernatural or undefeatable danger to it that just keeps an immeasurable amount of intensity to it. That is, some of the songs; Resurrection/Occult, Demons and Black Magic. The other two have a much too clubby feel to them. But those three (well, four) songs are just otherworldly.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:22 am 

See, the occult stuff is cool but what I dig most really is the more common 80s dystopian cyberpunk future sound - but minus all the hip, cool, "trend-setter-lone-wolf-hacker-punk-hero" aspects of cyberpunk, leaving behind the body modification, alienation, vast systems of control, and huge gulfs between classes, to the point where the dystopia itself takes on an almost otherworldly character. It becomes so oppressive and inhuman and monolithic that it takes on the character of a malevolent deity in its own right.

Everyone knows Perturbator, but Sprinter is a really good, lesser-known example of this, especially the Zero Day EP:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 pm 

Sprinter is pretty cool, thanks for posting that! I've never heard of em before. I love that dystopian cyberpunk aesthetic a lot as well. Megadrive is one of my favorites for that sort of thing.

James from Echosynthetic has been writing up articles about my work for a couple months now and he recently did this review of my new album. There's also a rather short interview at the end too if you're interested. Get hype!

https://echosynthetic.com/2017/03/12/sy ... exenkraft/

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm 

Sprinter is almost as good of a name of a synthwave act as Beckett. Not really a fan of that EP, unfortunately. Might take a few more spins. Lost Years' Venom EP is one of my go-to for cyberpunk-oriented sounds. Anything that gives me the feelings of wandering through a mega-city I consider cyberpunk in sound. Or at least a variant of it.

Also unrelated, but Sayak Striker's Face A EP is amazing.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 pm 

rexxz wrote:
There's also a rather short interview at the end too if you're interested.

Missing my favorite question:

Q: "How did this project come about?"

A: "Well, I was hanging out on IRC, and failsafeman said 'hey rexxz, you should make some synthwave," and I said 'hmm... OK!'"

:D

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

Well technically I already had made synthwave on a few other releases dating back to 2012 but he is the one to suggest I do a darksynth project, that's very true!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm 

That's ok, I only demand 50% of your profits.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm 

Cut me in for 10% and I'll run the street team.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:01 pm 

Not dark or "heavy" like the other stuff on this thread, in fact this is super poppy. But I've been listening to Gunship the whole day today. Even John Carpenter loves the band.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm 

I like Gunship! They make some nice tunes.

Y'all seriously need to get on that Daniel Deluxe and Volkor X, though. Vulta is another good one.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 pm 

listening to this right now
https://unitra.bandcamp.com

not as dark as some stuff out there but its not the super relaxed kind either.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am 

The new Fixions doth slay: https://fixions.bandcamp.com/album/genocity

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:38 pm 

I just realized a bunch of bands on the Days of Darkness fest I'm going to in October are synthwave bands. I don't really know shit about synthwave (closest thing I have is stuff from the Italians Do it Better label) but it's pretty cool. I think it would be a neat setting to see it live.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm 

New Perturbator video! Amazing use of pixel art here and the metal influence in the art really shows here. Maybe this is old and I'm ignorant about the record label but I love the fact that the label, Blood Music has an amazing black metal logo too in this video clip. I'm hoping to hear more tracks like this on the new album.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 pm 

^ Published on Mar 29, 2016.

New Carpenter Brut track; "Night Stalker" is pretty great. Everybody check it out.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 pm 

I've been pretty interested in synthwave over the past few years and I've definitely grown to love it with the same passion that I love black metal. I remember when I found the genre by clicking on a Perturbator song on youtube since I thought the cover art was cool. I didn't expect that click to change my perspective on electronic music but it totally did.

Lately I have been into a lot of Dynatron and Dead Astronauts. Two very different projects but both pretty great in their own ways. Trevor Something's Death Dream album has been getting a lot of play time as well but his albums can be hit or miss with me. I really enjoyed the latest GosT album as well but then again I'm a sucker for the cheesy over the top satanic theme and synthwave with female vocals which in this case was three songs off the album.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:52 pm 

So I decided to release my next EP one day early. Check it out! Everything you liked from my first one with a bunch of new tricks as well.

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/album/t ... nal-schism

Here's a review from Echosynthetic: https://echosynthetic.com/2017/04/07/ne ... al-schism/

And one review on Imperiumi for all you Finnish speaking people out there: http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=17772

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:20 pm 

squidrick9042 wrote:
Lately I have been into a lot of Dynatron and Dead Astronauts. Two very different projects but both pretty great in their own ways. Trevor Something's Death Dream album has been getting a lot of play time as well but his albums can be hit or miss with me. I really enjoyed the latest GosT album as well but then again I'm a sucker for the cheesy over the top satanic theme and synthwave with female vocals which in this case was three songs off the album.
Yes, Dynatron!! Nobody does brooding atmospheric synth quite like Dynatron. And yeah Trevor Something is very hit and miss, like d.notive. I find his singing sucks (it's reverbed a shit load to make it somewhat tolerable) and it's throughout every song he does, his lyrics are especially cringe-worthy. Pretty much every feat. song is almost always better because they're professional singers. I've been enjoying Timecop1983 and Michael Weber, nothing ground breaking and more on the mid-tempo chilled/upbeat side but good listening.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Megahammer? I saw this got posted today and good god. That bass tone. Guess I don't have a choice but to buy the albums

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm 

Holy shit, the bandcamp page is full of gold too:

https://megahammer.bandcamp.com/track/the-heat

Fuck me in the ears, that guitar solo is on fire.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 pm 

Holy fuck nuts, definitely upper echelon synthwave. With ya on the solo, shits rad as fuck.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:37 pm 

I love the more intense shit, but this was a lovely discovery. Very cool synthpop vibes.

Python Blue - The New Communism

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm 

Really disliking the new retrowave with vocals, 9/10 shit or distractingly over-the-top, trying way too hard to be Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode or Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran.

Scandroid for example, the music is great, why put your second rate singing that sounds like you're having an orgasm with generic sexual innuendo lyrics about "cumming together"... Ugh, that shit was the worst of the 80's.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 am 

there's an instrumental version of the scandroid album

Anyone here familiar with Occams Laser? Ascension might be my AOTY. Dark, eerie, diabolical darksynth. Sorta like a cross between the Gost albums.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:53 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Really disliking the new retrowave with vocals, 9/10 shit or distractingly over-the-top, trying way too hard to be Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode or Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran.

Scandroid for example, the music is great, why put your second rate singing that sounds like you're having an orgasm with generic sexual innuendo lyrics about "cumming together"... Ugh, that shit was the worst of the 80's.

Try this maybe, it's a little different, but still synthheavy:

theposega wrote:

Anyone here familiar with Occams Laser? Ascension might be my AOTY. Dark, eerie, diabolical darksynth. Sorta like a cross between the Gost albums.

That sounds like something I'd dig, on my list of stuff to listen to, thanks!

Found this band recently, it's pretty good:
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm 

I just found this stuff the other day and I'm really digging it. Lots of darkwave influence going on here and it almost sits on the fence between synthwave and dakwave.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 pm 

I really like OldNick of Ceremonial Castings' new synthwave-ish project. More of an old school video game vibe.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

1,000% agree on this. At that point, it's being taken out of the realm of synthwave and is essentially synthpop. ScanDroid actually releases instrumental versions of all of his stuff. His two albums can be gotten with no vocals and just the instrumentals.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:35 am 

Not sure if this counts as synthwave but I've been enjoying it. They do call themselves darkwave if that counts? But they do sound like they have synthwave influences.

https://lematos.bandcamp.com/album/join-us

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am 

this dude plays "gumby" metal and synthwave under the same moniker:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fazzio/3540428310

https://fazzioretro.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am 

A recent find from the band queue, if this is anyone's cup o' tea: Abstract Void is mixing synthwave and black metal (post- or atmospheric or whatever).

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:31 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
A recent find from the band queue, if this is anyone's cup o' tea: Abstract Void is mixing synthwave and black metal (post- or atmospheric or whatever).

I expected something "darker." :/ A bit cheesy but enjoyed it halfway through. I might listen to it again in the future but only when I am curious again.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:56 pm 

aloof wrote:
this dude plays "gumby" metal and synthwave under the same moniker:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fazzio/3540428310

https://fazzioretro.bandcamp.com/

This is solid. The synthwave stuff, at least.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm 

Battlejuice's Crimson Light rules so hard. Extra recommended if you like Dance With The Dead, as that's definitely the main influence.

New Mega Drive is also a banger, "Biohacker" and "Off/World" especially.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am 

glad you approve, Az. had a startle when I clicked on his bandcamp before submitting... :D

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:16 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Yes, Dynatron!! Nobody does brooding atmospheric synth quite like Dynatron. And yeah Trevor Something is very hit and miss, like d.notive. I find his singing sucks (it's reverbed a shit load to make it somewhat tolerable) and it's throughout every song he does, his lyrics are especially cringe-worthy. Pretty much every feat. song is almost always better because they're professional singers. I've been enjoying Timecop1983 and Michael Weber, nothing ground breaking and more on the mid-tempo chilled/upbeat side but good listening.

Dynatron is like the synthwave equivalent of listening to Darkspace for me haha. The atmostphere is super thick and like you said nobody really does it quite like Dynatron. When it comes to Trevor something I pretty much ignore the first half of his discography minus a few songs and focus on the later and darker stuff. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about his latest EP which is like super experimental but also has some good stuff and takes on a vibe that nobody else in the genre has gone for. Timecop1983 is pretty solid but I don't have any in my collection, I'll have to change that haha. One that I just started getting into was Bart Graft which in my opinion does the whole "retro" thing the right way by not making it all about palm trees and Miami but instead going for the whole 80's sleazy investment banker type thing. It conjures images of a busy stock exchange filled with drug fueled guys in suspenders smoking cigars and yelling.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 am 

i've been listening to hella dynatron this week. "stars of the night" till gives me goosebumps and i've heard the damn thing 50+ times by now probably. too good

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:28 am 

Meteor's Inner Demon has been my obsession the past few days. whole album just fuckin bangs.

Turbo Knight's Rise of the Machines is also really, really good.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next