Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:42 pm 

Quote:
It’s happening! Classic Misfits members Glenn Danzig, Jerry Only and Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein are reuniting for two festival shows this year!
Next to Guns N’ Roses, a Misfits reunion was thought of as the most unlikely to ever happen due to bad blood and lawsuits between classic bandmates. But for the first time since 1983, vocalist Glenn Danzig, bassist Jerry Only and guitarist Doyle will all share the stage together at Riot Fest Denver and Riot Fest Chicago under the moniker The Original Misfits.
Riot Fest Denver will be held on Sept. 2-4 while Riot Fest Chicago will take place Sept. 16-18. The Original Misfits’ slot hasn’t been revealed yet, but the announcement is expected to hit shortly.
Back in 2014, we spoke with Doyle about the possibility of a reunion. “I’m ready right now,” Doyle said. “I’m dressed, let’s do it. Those guys? Just gotta talk to ‘em. I’ve started talking to them. Everything’s got to be ironed out.”
Later in the year, we caught up with Jerry Only, getting his take on a potential reunion as well. “All the money in the world ain’t gonna make me sell out my fans,” Only said. “What I feel is that, I’d rather be where I am and be happy and be a positive influence than to be the richest man in the world and miserable and be a scumbag to the kids that follow us. I’m not doing that. I told Doyle that. I told him, ‘Hey look, if Glenn wants to come be a team player and leave that s–t at home, we’re good.’ That’s the name of the game.”
Tickets for Riot Fest Denver and Chicago are both available right now. To grab passes, click here. Full lineups for each festival are expected to be announced shortly.

Full article here.

Neither of these fests are anywhere near where I live but it would be really cool to see the Misfits original members perform...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:18 pm 

"Hey man, let's not go to Riot Fest this year. The lineups get worse every year, it always rains, and we barely afford it each year we go. It was a good four year run, let's give 2016 a pass."

*CLASSIC MISFITS LINEUP REUNION*

"Fuck"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 pm 

Who the hell isn't reforming these days? Danzig's voice is pretty much shot, and simply put, this is just an obvious dick move to try and rake in as much cash as possible. Love old misfits, but no thanks.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:47 pm 

I had the same thought when I first heard the news (about it being a cash grab) but at the same time I know a lot of die-hard fans who are going to be really excited about this. And from the sounds of the article this is by no means a permanent reunion, I think they're just doing it for the festivals.

Money is definitely one factor that influenced their decision but who knows? Maybe they wanted to revisit their early days by playing a couple one-off shows. Any time something like this happens I've noticed that peoples' first initial reaction is to think that it's a cash grab, and it may be, but I don't blame them for doing it. They know it is going to excite fans young and old; plus they already have an established name and brand that has been built up over the years so why not do it?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:14 am 

Jerry Only sounds just like Chuck Norris, being that he won't do it unless Glenn gets rid of all the "satanic" stuff, since it's a bad influence on kids...I guess he doesnt realize who The Misfits audience is.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:21 am 

I thought one of them was dead?

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:35 am 

Expedience wrote:
I thought one of them was dead?

The only dead former Misfit is the dude who played drums right before they split in 1983. Otherwise, everyone involved is alive and well, although Dez Cadena did quit due to having cancer.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:55 am 

My mistake. I didn't think these were the original Misfits though? Wasn't one of them a girl, the bassist maybe?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 am 

Expedience wrote:
My mistake. I didn't think these were the original Misfits though? Wasn't one of them a girl, the bassist maybe?

The super-duper original lineup, yeah. Diane DiPiazza was the original bassist but only for a short while, as the band formed in 1977 and Jerry Only was part of it by year's end. When most fans talk about the "classic" or "original" lineup, they're talking Danzig (vocals), Jerry (bass), Doyle (guitar, joined 1980), and whoever can play drums (since the longest reigning drummers have been Dr. Chud and Chupacabra, Chud in the '90s and Chupacabra for the past 6 years) but typically Robo.

Is this a blatant cash grab? Of course. Jerry Only is the punk rock Gene Simmons in how hard he's willing to sell the brand. Am I fucking excited as shit since I've been a fiend for 17 years? You bet your ass I am.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:50 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Jerry Only sounds just like Chuck Norris, being that he won't do it unless Glenn gets rid of all the "satanic" stuff, since it's a bad influence on kids...I guess he doesnt realize who The Misfits audience is.

I didn't realize that's an issue that they had with each other. Is that what he meant when he said, "...leave that shit at home?" in the above quote?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:49 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I had the same thought when I first heard the news (about it being a cash grab) but at the same time I know a lot of die-hard fans who are going to be really excited about this. And from the sounds of the article this is by no means a permanent reunion, I think they're just doing it for the festivals.

Money is definitely one factor that influenced their decision but who knows? Maybe they wanted to revisit their early days by playing a couple one-off shows. Any time something like this happens I've noticed that peoples' first initial reaction is to think that it's a cash grab, and it may be, but I don't blame them for doing it. They know it is going to excite fans young and old; plus they already have an established name and brand that has been built up over the years so why not do it?

No, it's a definite cash grab. Glenn and Jerry hate each other. There's no nostalgia here. Glenn has done his tours where he does his Misfits sets with Doyle and if it was just about memories he'd likely keep doing that. He and Jerry know that there is a big payday when it comes to playing together, but there is likely no way the two of them could survive an entire tour together. But it's totally fine that it's a cash grab. I have no problem with bands doing reunions for money. Most of them barely made anything the first time around so there's no reason why they shouldn't make money when its there for them later on. I'm only torn about this reunion, though, because I fear it'll just suck. I love the Misfits but I have no illusions about their musical prowess. Doyle's not a good guitarist and Glenn's live performances have reportedly been disappointing for years. On the flipside, the Misfits were a horrible live band even at their peak so maybe we can really re-live 1982!

I wonder who's going to be drumming for this. I wish it was Robo, but I assume its not going to be any of the guys who played with the band 1977-1983.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:53 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
(...) I'm only torn about this reunion, though, because I fear it'll just suck. I love the Misfits but I have no illusions about their musical prowess. Doyle's not a good guitarist (...)

WHAT!? Doyle's great as a guitarist! Dude, he's got the RIFFS! Did you bother to check out the Graves-era albums? Or Gorgeous Frankenstein? Or Kryst the Conqueror? Of his current band, Doyle? Dude, he's really fucking good, you pharisee!

TadGhostal wrote:
I wish it was Robo, but I assume its not going to be any of the guys who played with the band 1977-1983.

It's gonna be Chupacabra.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:53 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

I didn't realize that's an issue that they had with each other. Is that what he meant when he said, "...leave that shit at home?" in the above quote?

Pretty much.

Seconding Doyle as a guitarist being decent. He plays punk. I'm not expecting a virtuoso.

darkeningday wrote:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:48 pm 

I find that quite odd, the band is largely credited with starting horror punk. They have always used that kind of imagery and lyrics.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Wouldnt surprise me if he saw the song Satans Crucifiction and got all pissed off about it. Most of Danzig's song have cool song titles, but the lyrics themselves are just...pointless. The worst he's done is just some nudity in videos.
Jerry sounds like he thinks his audience are 13 year olds kids that see Misfits shirts at Hot Topic, when it would be at least their parents.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:29 pm 

I found a Metal Injection article where Jerry Only explains how the reunion happened. Turns out that he and Danzig were about to enter another legal battle, but came out of it agreeing on a reunion.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:17 pm 

Dave Lombardo joins them on drums for these dates:

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... he-reunion

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:09 am 

Somewhere inside of me, 16-year-old Bukkake is crying tears of joy.

darkeningday wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:50 pm 

So when did Jerry Only become the Dave Mustaine of punk rock (i.e. right-wing Christian playing supposably subversive music?)

Sell out shmell out; I cant pretend it isn't what it is, but if I had a chance I would probably still go see it and enjoy it. Although I'm guessing tickets are what, like $100 "General Admission" with $250 "Special Pit Pass To Be Within Moshing Distance Of The Stage" tickets available or something?

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:01 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
So when did Jerry Only become the Dave Mustaine of punk rock (i.e. right-wing Christian playing supposably subversive music?)

Somewhere between 1983 and 1987, when he formed a Christian Heavy Metal band.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 pm 

Quote:
Sell out shmell out; I cant pretend it isn't what it is, but if I had a chance I would probably still go see it and enjoy it. Although I'm guessing tickets are what, like $100 "General Admission" with $250 "Special Pit Pass To Be Within Moshing Distance Of The Stage" tickets available or something?

You came shockingly close to the actual prices. Everyone else I want to see I've seen before in a much smaller venue, so I decided to just assume they tour in the winter and play a big theater near me and charge $50 a head. Lots cheaper than a train ticket, 1 day pass to Riotfest, and a hotel room in Chicago that isn't garbage. Also, I figure equivalent risk to not seeing them in the Windy City, since they might just break up after this weekend for all we know.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:24 pm 

It won't surprise me one bit if they do a winter tour, either at the end of this year or beginning of next, with Danzig as part of the lineup. There's too much money to be made just based on the sake of curiosity.

And yes. I will go to that. Sporting a devilock.

darkeningday wrote:

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:28 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Sporting a devilock.

Devilocks rule divine eternally. My second most used haristyle from when I was in highschool.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:44 pm 

I'd go, but being that 1) I'm not getting on a plane for twelve fucking hours to see a band weakly attempt a sound they pioneered and 2) I've heard both Skeletons and The Devil's Rain (nice associating your crappy album's title with a great song from the original era) so no, I'll pass.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 am 

I'll be surprised if they make it through one show without Only or Danzig storming off or Doyle beating them both up to stop the fighting. Nevertheless, I am ridiculously excited and hopeful that it all goes well but I'm not going to cross the Atlantic, I'll wait and hope they head UK-wards and play more shows.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:42 am 

Even if the reunion was permanent I don't have any kind of faith in this guys anymore. If I had any doubt that modern Misfits suck it disappeared when I listened to The Devil's Rain and I don't think that even Danzig rejoining would solve this.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm 

Quote from Jerry Only:

Quote:
I want it to continue. I know Doyle wants it to continue. I know Glenn wants it to continue. We just have to be big enough people to make it continue. And that's where we're at. Whatever it takes. We're going into our 40th anniversary so the timing couldn't be more perfect. Eventually, Doyle's got to write a new album; I've got to write a new album; Glenn's got to write a new album. Why don't we work together and make the greatest album ever? Now we've got different elements. We've got Doyle playing more of a metal kind of thing. We've got Dave who we're trying to figure out what the fuck he's doing. And Glenn's got his own thing. And Acey [Slade, second guitar] fills in good too. And I've got the band where it is today. So it's a matter of remolding and using all the different elements that I've got.

Full article here...

It's difficult to see any validity to this... what do y'all think?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:29 pm 

Quote from Jerry Only:

Quote:
I want it to continue. I know Doyle wants it to continue. I know Glenn wants it to continue. We just have to be big enough people to make it continue. And that's where we're at. Whatever it takes. We're going into our 40th anniversary so the timing couldn't be more perfect. Eventually, Doyle's got to write a new album; I've got to write a new album; Glenn's got to write a new album. Why don't we work together and make the greatest album ever? Now we've got different elements. We've got Doyle playing more of a metal kind of thing. We've got Dave who we're trying to figure out what the fuck he's doing. And Glenn's got his own thing. And Acey [Slade, second guitar] fills in good too. And I've got the band where it is today. So it's a matter of remolding and using all the different elements that I've got.

Full article here...

The wording on that is really screwed up. Glenn already has the new Danzig album done and I doubt anyone gives two shits about the other solo albums.
What I think would be really cool, but I doubt would happen, is have the original Danzig lineup open for the original Misfits.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:58 pm 

From the appropriately low quality videos going around, to me, they seem to be doing a good job at these reunion shows and so far everyone seems to be getting along. Personally, I'm good with new music whether it's from Doyle, Danzig and/or a reunited Misfits band, (fuck Only's Misfits though, that last album was horrendous). I know Doyle's said he'd got about three albums worth of stuff with Alex Story before they released Abominator and I can't see Glenn giving up his solo band completely whether they stick with the reunion or not.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 am 

Quote from Jerry Only:

Quote:

Full article here...

The shows might continue, especially if the money is good and everyone tolerates each other, but I see a new album as a total pipe dream, especially the way Jerry is describing it. Glenn doesn't collaborate and he doesn't write in the classic style of the Misfits anymore. He hasn't for ages.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34 am 

This is more speculation but supposedly Dave Lombardo is in the studio for an 'unspecified band':

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... ified-band

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:26 pm 

http://www.theprp.com/2017/08/21/news/o ... nion-show/

Looks like they're doing another show. Just announce that you're back together and get it over with already. :roll:

Reply to topic