Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 pm 

Is there enough interest among the forums for this thread to thrive? Darkwave is personally my favorite genre aside from metal.

What bands do you all enjoy? I've been listening to The Frozen Autumn for years now.
Here's a favorite of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-8cuWpLdhw

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:35 am 

I love Darkwave too. My favourites include Arcana, Dark Sanctuary, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, Autumn Tears, Fata Morgana, Mortiis and a bunch of Dungeon Synth artists.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:19 am 

I like some of the older bands like Attrition and Die Form. Probably some of the modern bands too, but I'm not entirely clear where darkwave ends and other genres begin.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 pm 

Lythronax wrote:
I like some of the older bands like Attrition and Die Form. Probably some of the modern bands too, but I'm not entirely clear where darkwave ends and other genres begin.

I've also had trouble deciding whether something's darkwave or not. I'm sure I lump a lot of gothic, post-punk, and general 80s music in there that technically doesn't belong, but meh. Genres are just a tool in my opinion.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 am 

Makino wrote:
Lythronax wrote:

I've also had trouble deciding whether something's darkwave or not. I'm sure I lump a lot of gothic, post-punk, and general 80s music in there that technically doesn't belong, but meh. Genres are just a tool in my opinion.

Yeah, I mean, Depeche Mode's early albums are considered Darkwave too. *shrugs*

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:05 pm 

I like a few darkwave bands like Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Faith and the Muse, Lycia etc. Antimatter is my most fav but they are not gothic though. I prefer the more ethereal stuff than ebm influenced beat-heavy bands.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 pm 

I like The Frozen Autumn. London After Midnight are really good too. I need to revisit a lot of these kinds of bands.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:01 am 

Unity wrote:
I love Darkwave too. My favourites include Arcana, Dark Sanctuary, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, Autumn Tears, Fata Morgana, Mortiis and a bunch of Dungeon Synth artists.

Those bands are among my favourites. Ah man, I need to revisit this style.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 am 

The first two Frozen Autumn albums are quality. Also Clan of Xymox "Medusa" is an essential album in this style.

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:16 am 

Wow what a coincidence. I was looking forward to getting into this genre. What should I start with?

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 am 

Found this band named Pink Turns Blue. Your Master Is Calling is quite stylish.

namor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:16 pm 

Check out this band. EHIYEH.
http://collantsnoirsreleases.bandcamp.c ... -demo-2016

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm 

I certainly enjoy a number of artists this term is attributed to, but the term itself has always seemed kind of nebulous.
Something which recently became a favorite of mine is this collection of Lycia demos

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:37 pm 

TripeOverload wrote:
Found this band named Pink Turns Blue. Your Master Is Calling is quite stylish.

They're the best darkwave band after Xymox. Dark stuff.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

WolvesPaintedRed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:44 am 

Bumping this with a Turkish band called She Past Away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwi4BHM ... Y&index=27

djkaneki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:34 am 

Spoiler: show
Makino wrote:
Is there enough interest among the forums for this thread to thrive? Darkwave is personally my favorite genre aside from metal.

What bands do you all enjoy? I've been listening to The Frozen Autumn for years now.
Here's a favorite of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-8cuWpLdhw

Hi,thanks for sharing .
I am DJ and making some darkwave music.
If someone interested in creating music i can
advise good samples for this genre
https://www.lucidsamples.com/one-shot-s ... ynths.html
which i often used.
Also u can share your music if you making it.

Last edited by Azmodes on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spam.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 am 

PureNegativism wrote:
I certainly enjoy a number of artists this term is attributed to, but the term itself has always seemed kind of nebulous.
Something which recently became a favorite of mine is this collection of Lycia demos

I really dig the early Lycia stuff! Wake and Ionia are also pretty great albums. I like their later stuff but the earlier stuff is still my favorite.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 pm 

Dis Pater from Midnight Odyssey released a new album under his new synth project Death Comes Crawling. The album is dark with strong influences from Depeche Mode and the like, as well as darkwave.
It has been out for a week or so and I can say this is one of my favorite albums of the year. Stunning how well the whole thing is put together and how naturally his voice fits this style. Dis Pater is killing it.

https://deathcomescrawling.bandcamp.com ... -semblance

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 am 

I quite like Mortiis, Summoning, etc but I would consider myself relatively new to dungeon synth/darkwave... What would you recommend for someone newer to the genre in terms of classics of the genre?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am 

I actually got this record on saturday:

(2016 rerelease)

20 bucks is quite some cash for a 12" maxi with 3 songs (incl. 2 different edits of automaten, so essentially 2 different songs), but I'm a sucker for this kind of minimal synth wave stuff if it has the right bleak atmosphere...
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
I quite like Mortiis, Summoning, etc but I would consider myself relatively new to dungeon synth/darkwave... What would you recommend for someone newer to the genre in terms of classics of the genre?

Start with Wongraven's "Fjelltronen", it's the best Dungeon Synth album of all time. Also Burzum's prison albums, and bands like Murgrind, Aelvar, Skarpseian, Arath and Invictus.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm 

I like some neoclassical darkwave, but it's very different to its related genres like goth rock, darkwave, ethereal wave, etc. Laibach are classic though, as well as DVKE, Dead Can Dance and TMLHBaC's more gothic moments.

As for normal stuff, I, of course, love Clan of Xymox's first two, Pink Turns Blue's If Two Worlds Kiss, Lycia's Ionia, and A Day in the Stark Corner, and, if you count its electronic moments as characteristic of the genre as well, I guess, Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium, which is heavenly as fuck and I recommend it to anyone who even slightly likes darkwave, even if the album more psychedelic/goth rock-oriented.

I think Yugoslav darkwave (with the exception of Laibach) is rather underrated IMO, though, and I strongly recommend some groups.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm 

I suppose Ice Ages can be lumped into this Darkwave discussion. Ice Ages has a darkwave feel to me, but they derive more from dark electro than I would imagine most Darkwave would. Generally speaking, it seems like Darkwave derives more from old gothic rock and post-punk and blends it together into a mash which comes out sounding Darkwave. I'm not even sure though!

There's certain songs I can point to, which I think would fit well under the Darkwave banner that some may disagree with. Godkiller's "De Profundis" would be one from the album The End of the World. I think the My Dying Bride song "I Almost Loved You" from Feel the Misery sounds very Darkwave as well.

Interestingly, I tried out an album by Die Verbannten Kinder Evas and found myself disliking it. It's odd because of how much I adore Ice Ages. I don't think the two projects are really that comparable in terms of thematic tone, influences and execution.

I'd also add Dead Can Dance's Anastasis as Darkwave. It has a consistently dark and brooding atmosphere, it feels very gothic, almost ancient as well. I love that album, probably my favorite Dead Can Dance. I hope they do another in this vein.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

Unity wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

Start with Wongraven's "Fjelltronen", it's the best Dungeon Synth album of all time. Also Burzum's prison albums, and bands like Murgrind, Aelvar, Skarpseian, Arath and Invictus.

Thanks for this! Starting with Wongraven tonight.

flatearth_metalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm 

i am not very familiar with this darkwave genre but i notice some have mentioned lycia

i have there album cold and one more and i like it

will look into other bands mentioned in this thread

Reply to topic