Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:15 pm 

I generally just wear a plain, black t-shirt with jeans. It looks somewhat "metal", without drawing much attention. I mostly just can't be bothered to spend $30 on a single shirt these days.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 pm 

What bands do you like that charge $30 for a shirt? I just bought ten shirts on HHR and the total came to $20/shirt to the other side of the planet, shipped.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:34 pm 

Well, to be fair, I was referring to a bunch of stuff I saw on Rockabilia -- like this Rotting Christ shirt.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 pm 

This one's $15

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:43 pm 

To be fair, that Rockabilia one is way cooler. :P

I dunno, I'm not much for straight-copied album art but I really like band shirts that are symbols / abstract designs / "occult" drawings, etc.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 pm 

:lol: I'm pretty much the opposite. I pretty much avoid shirts if it doesn't have a huge logo centered at the top on the front.

Anyways, Rockabilia sucks and I hate them.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:52 pm 

Oh for sure, they're really fucking overpriced.

I ebay for a lot of shirts (though this often requires making sure the design in question isn't a bootleg/shitty knockoff), plus Dark Descent and Hell's Headbangers have some great prices/sales. Debemur Morti also has some amazingly cheap shirts, even with international shipping.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:59 pm 

I think like 95% of all band shirts I've bought in the past 4 years or so have been from Hell's Headbangers. Super fast shipping too since they're not that far away.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 am 

After a decade of seeing shitty Rockabilia links polluting this site, I finally found the one guy who buys shirts from them. :lol:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:21 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The whole hipster thing is always stupid. Anyone who cares about that needs to get a life. I used to be impressionable and hear people bashing "hipster" music, but then as I got older I just kept questioning "hey, this is good, why am I rejecting this music just because someone called it hipster?" It's a word that seems to mean whatever each individual wants it to mean. I think some people really just get annoyed with praise for bands they don't like and blow it out of proportion. I always find irony in the way metalheads pride themselves on individuality and free thinking, but then see a flannel shirt or something and start making cross signs with their fingers and hissing.

Well, it depends on how you use the term. Obviously there are people who are basically mini-Euronymous' who are only out to feel superior and want nothing more than to look down on people simply for being younger than them (the common complaint of "Those kids weren't even alive when X album was released!!!"). When they use the term, it's basically as you described. However, I definitely think there is some merit for the use of the term as well...to refer to people who latch onto a movement entirely for the fashion or image, and are completely obsessed with flaunting their image around and "showing off" despite lacking any integrity or identity of their own. I went to see Ghost B.C. last night and I saw many people who were there in costume, and spent the whole night just yapping on and on while taking selfies, totally ignoring the band they apparently came there to see. To me that is what I'd call a "hipster". Like it or not, these people do exist, even in the metal scene.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 am 

true_death wrote:
Well, it depends on how you use the term. Obviously there are people who are basically mini-Euronymous' who are only out to feel superior and want nothing more than to look down on people simply for being younger than them (the common complaint of "Those kids weren't even alive when X album was released!!!"). When they use the term, it's basically as you described. However, I definitely think there is some merit for the use of the term as well...to refer to people who latch onto a movement entirely for the fashion or image, and are completely obsessed with flaunting their image around and "showing off" despite lacking any integrity or identity of their own. I went to see Ghost B.C. last night and I saw many people who were there in costume, and spent the whole night just yapping on and on while taking selfies, totally ignoring the band they apparently came there to see. To me that is what I'd call a "hipster". Like it or not, these people do exist, even in the metal scene.

Maybe, but people like to assume that others who espouse different opinions are latching on for a fashion or image just because they can't fathom someone having a different taste. And I'm sure there are those who are superficial about it or who will be out of it in a few months. So what? How does that affect your life? It goes back to my original point: this shit doesn't really matter and nobody should really give a shit.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 am 

yeah, that's my stance on everything - i'm fairly active on tumblr (the ultimate site for faking interest in things) and people just move on while I'm still listening to horrid shit. like, I dress like hip scum 90% of the time (I have like 6 HHR shirts I wear) but I'm obviously hella into metal - in spite of my undying love for Liturgy's first two albums.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I dunno, I'm not much for straight-copied album art but I really like band shirts that are symbols / abstract designs / "occult" drawings, etc.

I'm the same way. I just don't like the look of a squared background against a black shirt.

Zodijackyl wrote:
After a decade of seeing shitty Rockabilia links polluting this site, I finally found the one guy who buys shirts from them. :lol:

I've only bought a few items from them over the years. I found a killer Nile ("Annihilation of the Wicked") hoodie on their site years ago and a shitty Grave shirt.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:10 am 

Relevant article posted this week: Sartorial Synonymy: Why we are Losing the Ability to Represent our [Metal] Identities through Dress

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:16 am 

Lythronax wrote:

That was a very fascinating article, and there were some very interesting quotes which are relevant to the topic.

Quote:
We are happy to listen to metal in the comfort of our homes, behind our headphones, or to discuss it on the internet. We can dress metal at shows which are ‘safe zones’ for acceptance and the margins where real-world communities have been pushed to. People do not want to create or represent an identity anymore, and dressing metal has become ostracised.

This quote is largely representative of the people who say they enjoy metal, but don't dress metal because they are afraid of not being accepted or taken seriously by their peers.

I also thought it was interesting how the article pointed out the role of social media in dressing metal. People share pictures of their metal merch on sites like t-shirt slayer as well as other mediums but they rarely wear those kinds of things outside of shows. So while just as many people if not more are still interested in metal as they were 20 years ago, but they don't have a desire to express that interest outwardly for various reasons.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:50 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Lythronax wrote:

That was a very fascinating article, and there were some very interesting quotes which are relevant to the topic.

Well yeah, the article was written by Lysander, the one who made this thread. It would had been cool if Lysander would had been transparent about his intent. The article is interesting though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Well yeah, the article was written by Lysander, the one who made this thread. It would had been cool if Lysander would had been transparent about his intent. The article is interesting though.

I didn't realize that. But yeah it is probably better that he didn't divulge his intent, the responses might not have been as authentic otherwise.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Weirdly enough, my intent wasn't originally to write an article on the topic. I wrote a post on this forum last Sunday and then realised the topic was probably more important than I thought, deleted the post and expanded the concept into an article. So I know it looks like I was screening the community for an article, but it happened the other way round. The article was inspired by the communal discussion.

I'm glad that some people here liked it. The comments on Farcebook were mostly negative and the article itself is highly polarising. A lot of people [who, I dare say, didn't read the article properly] thought it was saying how the metal/goth community was better than others and should stand out as such [or something like that] which wasn't where it was coming from at all. What the comments did show was that it struck a nerve and that, in turn, shows how necessary the topic is.

I think that the subject is a large and important one and I'm very glad that we all have the opportunity to discuss it here so honestly and at length.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:12 pm 

Ha! I thought of this thread when I saw that article pop up. I write for HH too - or at least I do when I have internet connectivity at home :(

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
What bands do you like that charge $30 for a shirt? I just bought ten shirts on HHR and the total came to $20/shirt to the other side of the planet, shipped.

A good quality t-shirt can easily cost 17-18$ and if you add the shipment costs it could reach 24-45$ or more depending of where you live.

Last Saturday night I was with my Agalloch t-shirt and I think that I only saw a guy wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. And in many bars I was the only one wearing something related to metal music. Anyway I shouldnt be surprised since 90% of the music was shitty latin music.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:42 am 

Lots of black t-shirts as well as bands ones and jeans for me. You can see from far that I love metal, specially with my long hair. Really don't care about combat boots, denim jackets full of patches and stuff. From my experience at uni I've discovered a couple guys that always weared normal clothes, until one day one of them came with a Gorgoroth shirt and the another with Amom Amarth, a very nice one actually. Since they had no long hair I assumed that they listened to pop or any other stuff that plays on radio before. I think today people dresses as they want and dont care much for what others think about them.

Abatchy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:15 pm 

I work in a big IT company, I wear metal shirts everyday to work. My manager once told a newcomer that I wear the coolest shirts!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:20 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
A good quality t-shirt can easily cost 17-18$ and if you add the shipment costs it could reach 24-45$ or more depending of where you live.

Right, but like I said I literally just spent almost precisely $20/shirt for cool shirts by awesome bands, shipping included, to essentially the exact other side of the planet. So $30 before shipping is just plain highway robbery.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Right, but like I said I literally just spent almost precisely $20/shirt for cool shirts by awesome bands, shipping included, to essentially the exact other side of the planet. So $30 before shipping is just plain highway robbery.

I think it's really awesome that you got shirts for a net price of $20! Very cheap in comparison to the normal prices I see. The deal you got is certainly not usual, though. Most shirts I like are around $30, but then again I could also be factoring in conversion to the weak Australian dollar, and when shipping is added to that to my isolated country, shirts are commonly $50 or thereabouts.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:32 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Ah, gotcha. It just came across that way to me. Bands make money from merch these days anyhow, so if you like a band buy their damn t-shirts, that's my motto

meh. I like bands, I don't like clutter. if they make a shirt I like, I'll buy it. it's a win/win for me.

love my Manegarm shirts. bought an Atavicus shirt...they sent the wrong size :( now it's just pretty clutter

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:14 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I think it's really awesome that you got shirts for a net price of $20! Very cheap in comparison to the normal prices I see. The deal you got is certainly not usual, though. Most shirts I like are around $30, but then again I could also be factoring in conversion to the weak Australian dollar, and when shipping is added to that to my isolated country, shirts are commonly $50 or thereabouts.[/quote]

F*ck, its must be hard(and expensive) to buy anything which hasnt been manufactured in your country. Only once I tried to buy an album directly from Australia and sadly the shiping costs were too much for me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:37 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
F*ck, its must be hard(and expensive) to buy anything which hasnt been manufactured in your country. Only once I tried to buy an album directly from Australia and sadly the shiping costs were too much for me.

I'm used to it. :lol: If I can find a shirt for under $40 I'll consider that a steal. Yeah, you're in Europe, so definitely don't buy anything from Australia if you can help it. Your bank account will thank you. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:16 pm 

Yeah shipping to Australia sucks, but hey it IS coming from a long way away, and I'm the same as Mikey - if it's worth it I'll gladly shell out and have done.

My collection

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:36 pm 

I'm waiting for a package from Alhadis to arrive since August...
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 am 

I mostly wear black band T-Shirts & jeans, maybe we go to different gigs in London but I still see a lot of denim jackets patches & some all dressed up with spikes old school Judas Priest style. I do notice a lot of normal people trendy looking clothes who like metal but why do you have to have a set look to like something.... you don't. Thing is I have long hair, if I throw on a denim jacket, black T-Shirt & jeans I'm a METAL head. If I grow a beard with the same clothes, I get called a long haired bearded HIPPY or JESUS people will always judge you just wear what ever you want. In Camden I still see punks & the odd metal head & at gigs in Camden you'll see the metal head looking lot come out especially at NWOBHM gigs. Regarding goths even back in the 90s early 2000s I never really noticed them much, now a days a goth person just seems to stand out & even in the boiling hot they have a leather trench coat on crazy well ones I see in this area of the UK do. Go to a Cradle of Filth gig it's full of gothic looking people with Victorian looking clothing.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 pm 

I'm poor so I have no choice but to dress metal with my two pairs of jeans and 10$ t shirts, but I don't see anyone else really looking very metal besides me most days

What even is there to it? Besides our shirts, jeans and maybe a kutte

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/fashion/m ... the-summer

Topical.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Enverxis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:31 pm 

Fashion has now become one of my main hobbies so I think I can offer some explanations as to why it's rarer in many parts of the world to see people dressing metal, some of which have already been raised in the thread.

One of the things that has changed a lot in the past 10 years is the fit of men's clothing. 10 years ago, people wore baggier clothes. The metalheads of the 90s/2000s mostly wore oversized band t-shirts and straight or relaxed fit jeans/pants with a baggy hem. That type of fit is seen as unflattering / unattractive today and shirts that fit properly and slim straight and slim tapered jeans/pants with a neat hem are what are currently in.

Logos are also out of style in today's fashion and a lot of style guides do not recommend it as it may be perceived as tacky or immature.

The current trend in clothing for men and women is 'normcore' - understated, plain clothing.

Another difference is popular music. In the 2000s, nu-metal and punk/hardcore/emo were popular. There is some overlap in the way that these bands dress to the way that a metal band may dress. Today, there's no identifiable sub-genre that is popular at the moment, to my knowledge and the musicians of popular bands tend to wear more normal, fitted clothing.

My ideal metal outfit today would be an SLP Biker Jacket or a Raw Denim Jacket, fitted band t-shirt or plain dark t-shirt, slim-tapered black selvedge denim and Black Red Wing Iron Ranger boots.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:36 pm 

Except that metalheads who wore/wear metal attire don't really care about mainstream fashion trends, at least when they are out in their metal kit. This could explain why your average scrub who was just into it for the image might not wear these items anymore, though. Because they are just riding whatever is trendy at the moment and don't really care for having their own personal sense of style.

Enverxis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 pm 

Not necessarily. A teenager today may be less inclined to dress metal in the sense that the OP described than they were 10 years ago, even if they listen to it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:20 pm 

And the ones who still wear it today obviously don't care about fashion trends, that was my point. What you described sounds like someone who would abstain from a certain look because it doesn't comply with what they see as fashionable.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 pm 

Not me. I stopped looking "metal" (band shirts, long hair etc) about 6 years ago. I liked it for a while, about 10 years or so, but it just isn't my thing anymore. I really only ever wear band shirts to shows and that is a pretty rare occurrence in itself.

Haddock666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 pm 

I like to go in my crust punk style everywhere I go. I even got one job because of this.

Pedophile SS. Improvised noisecore
http://pedophiless.bandcamp.com/

Catholic Bastards. Hardcore/crust punk
http://catholicbastards.bandcamp.com/

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
What the fuck are you on about? Not everyone looks the same... where do you live back ass Pennsylvania? Unless you think everyone looks the same just cause you don't see crazy 80's - 00's punk, goth, and metal outfits anymore. But that's just you being bat shit crazy then.

I dunno about him, but I do live in back ass Pennsylvania and not everyone looks the same here, either.

But as others said, sometimes it's because adults have to pay bills and can't wear bulletbelts to their jobs.

I still wear band shirts all the time, but I'm self-employed.

These fashion topics are hilarious, though.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5