* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:57 am 

Antioch wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
It's one of christkiller's many, many alt accounts. You wouldn't know about that account unless you kept up with the update history/report queue on the main site.

So he was banned again?

No, seems he just stopped using that particular account (he has this thing where he only uses certain accounts for certain things, but derigin knows more about the pattern there than I do). As Mutant said, it's only one of numerous profiles CK created. Another one being Tueur, which may ring a bell...

In a nutshell, CK's various sequels are all being tolerated (i.e. not banned again) because he actually does contribute a shitload to the site itself and -as I understand it- it was mostly his past moderator status that led to problems and punitive measures. The way it now is works for him as well as for the site.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:04 am 

Can anyone provide a link for that thread where the guy was angry about 'incomplete' numbers?
and
Did drone used to be a mod?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:07 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
Can anyone provide a link for that thread where the guy was angry about 'incomplete' numbers?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28731

CardsOfWar wrote:
Did drone used to be a mod?

No.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:51 am 

Azmodes wrote:
CardsOfWar wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28731

Holy shit. This is pure insanity. How long would such a thread be allowed to continue today, do you think?

Obey the dolphin!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:53 am 

hmi wrote:

I can't even remember that guy but that was pretty funny. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:42 am 

Azmodes wrote:
As Mutant said, it's only one of numerous profiles CK created. Another one being Tueur, which may ring a bell...

In a nutshell, CK's various sequels are all being tolerated (i.e. not banned again) because he actually does contribute a shitload to the site itself and -as I understand it- it was mostly his past moderator status that led to problems and punitive measures. The way it now is works for him as well as for the site.

Boy, if he's contributed what's worth half a million points, he must love this site. I wonder if he's still around going by some other name, but then, I don't really want to know. I've had my answer. :)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:40 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Holy shit. This is pure insanity. How long would such a thread be allowed to continue today, do you think?

Heh, nowadays I suspect we'd be less hostile (take for instance witcher's posts in that thread), but also less forgiving and more direct (we'd just tell him straight out that his band wouldn't be removed and then cite paragraph A, section 2B of the guidelines letting him know why). In fact, that thread would've been closed almost immediately and the user told to use the appropriate thread ("Cleansing the archives, a.k.a. Why was band X accepted?"). None of CK's unprofessional crudeness, witcher's melodrama, no dumb calls for the user's head...

EDIT: There has definitely been a cultural shift over the years in the way mods behave and the way we do things. While in the past it was common for mods to lone-wolf, to dominate certain areas of the site (be "the" sole band queue mod), and to react rather harshly towards users, nowadays lone-wolfing is looked down upon (we tend to favor consensus decisions) and the justifications for our actions are far less emotionally-driven and more based in the "rule" and "spirit" of law (we try to give reasons for why we do things, instead of just dismissing counter-arguments). This is partly because we have a system in place now where every modification on the site can be monitored (and so there's lots of oversight), but I also suspect it's because the mods themselves get along better as a team than ever before. Most moderators these days, for instance, were not moderators prior to V2 (in other words, 2010/2011 or so), and so entered their duties here as fresh faces all-together. There's very few of us remaining that were mods back in the "dark ages" before then, at least very few that are as active on the site.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 am 

Why was the band removed after all? There's no mention of it in the "Cleansing..." thread.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 am 

There was a comment about it in the staff forum. It probably comes as no surprise after reading that dude's thread, but his music and proof of release was later deemed suspect. The band probably should never have been accepted in the first place. The deletion happened back in 2010 and, in the words of the person who deleted it: "He really makes his music with fruity-loops, there are no real guitars, and the existence of physical release is questionable as well."

As for why it wasn't mentioned in the "Cleansing..." thread? That's more of a recent phenomenon, I guess. Az and I have pushed hard over the years to get mods to make notes in that thread when they've deleted bands - it helps to keep a record of what bands are deleted (by whom and when), and also let's us be transparent with our actions - but sometimes mods still forget. Back in 2010 few mods would actually do that. Nowadays, I suspect most mods generally try to do so.

I suppose that's the other major cultural shift among staff over the years. We've become more willing to be transparent with what we do. Az and I have been pretty big supporters of this. My own belief is that there's less fighting, less misconceptions, and a less likelihood of being misunderstood by the userbase if we're just upfront with why we do the things we do and how.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:08 am 

Derigin wrote:
I suppose that's the other major cultural shift among staff over the years. We've become more willing to be transparent with what we do. Az and I have been pretty big supporters of this. My own belief is that there's less fighting, less misconceptions, and a less likelihood of being misunderstood by the userbase if we're just upfront with why we do the things we do and how.

I don't know what major changes MA has suffered among the years but you, mods, are really currently doing a great job. I'm glad I've finally found the right circumstances to express my gratitude. Thank you.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:21 am 

Azmodes wrote:
christkiller = Zorg85 = Tueur

mind blown. I feel like I've just watched The Usual Suspects for the first time again! :eek:

next thing, Antioch will finally admit he's Martin De Boer :D

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:36 am 

aloof wrote:
next thing, Antioch will finally admit he's Martin De Boer :D

Antioch can hardly tell the difference between a guitar and a 6-string bass. :p

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 am 

:lol: reading this thread brings back a lot. can't believe how long some of us have been here.

Fastowl, Rainfall, the fucking incomplete numbers guy? gomorro's wisdom and judgement. oh, delicious.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:01 pm 

aloof wrote:
Azmodes wrote:
christkiller = Zorg85 = Tueur

mind blown. I feel like I've just watched The Usual Suspects for the first time again!

Hahahahaha, I felt *EXACTLY* the same when I found out. And there's like 15 other alter egos of his.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:04 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
:lol: reading this thread brings back a lot. can't believe how long some of us have been here.

Fastowl, Rainfall, the fucking incomplete numbers guy? gomorro's wisdom and judgement. oh, delicious.

Alright, what was the scoop with Rainfall? Did it have any other notoriety than being really shitty bedroom bm made by noktorn?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:06 pm 

I am always amazed people are able to remember all the weird trolls we get like Dwight or whoever - they all just blur into a faceless mass to me.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:09 pm 

I had a freestyle rap battle or two with Dwight, I think. Probably him, possibly. Can't remember, really.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:55 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Alright, what was the scoop with Rainfall? Did it have any other notoriety than being really shitty bedroom bm made by noktorn?

I don't think there was anything more than it being supremely shitty. Pretty unique sounding, from what I can remember. But like, utterly fucking abysmal. More than you'd expect from mid-late 2000s bedroom bm.

[quote="PhilosophicalFrog"]:lol: reading this thread brings back a lot. can't believe how long some of us have been here. [/url]

Yeah, it's weird that I feel like I'm almost part of the "old guard" now. And I'm only 23.

And the best part of that incomplete numbers guy was the "americans is all white non-russian"

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 pm 

I like this thread actually. Thanks to all who explained the downfall of the Symposium. :)

I recall the chick who was obsessed with the word eviscerate. It was really quite peculiar. I tried to find her profile. Strangely, searching for eviscerate on a metal forum brings up a lot of results. ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:02 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
I like this thread actually. Thanks to all who explained the downfall of the Symposium. :)

I recall the chick who was obsessed with the word eviscerate. It was really quite peculiar. I tried to find her profile. Strangely, searching for eviscerate on a metal forum brings up a lot of results. ;)

I don't remember any chick like that, but Vic sure loved that word... particularly to describe himself when arguing with others he deemed inferior. :lol:

Edit: oh wow, he loved that word so much he changed his artist name from Lord Vic to... this

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:35 am 

I remember laughing hard reading gomorro's stories, my favorite being how he didn't get mugged by yelling at the guy about his broken heart. Personally Napero's lock/ban posts are some of the greatest posts I've read on the internet ever, don't recall the last one though :(

Never did have the patience or time to find out how Cinerary "fuckin' killed a guy" but I hope it was brutal and just. Anyone know?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:54 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Hahahahaha, I felt *EXACTLY* the same when I found out. And there's like 15 other alter egos of his.

bizarre. now I feel like I'm in Carpenter's The Thing :D

but, also, since we're asking site questions, how can he have 15 profiles? my flatmate tried creating an m-a profile years ago and got a message that they can't "because they already have one"... which sounds like an IP thing.

I've seen quite a few users get banned then come back with a new profile, too, or they make multiple accounts to appear as different, agreeing report-filers :D is it a VPN trick?

///
1000th post. yay!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 am 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Never did have the patience or time to find out how Cinerary "fuckin' killed a guy" but I hope it was brutal and just. Anyone know?

He made a thread about it many years ago because people kept pestering him. I mostly remember the story, and I don't want to embellish or tread on Cinerary's toes by retelling it, but basically his girlfriend was raped by some douchebag and then their paths crossed one day later, he threw too many punches and killed him. Cinerary was in jail for about 4 years, I think.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:13 am 

Wikipedia doesn't mention any AF prank in 2011, so I guess there wasn't any right?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 am 

If I remember correctly, I think that was the year that the Symposium and the Tavern were deleted, because "no more off topic discussion, metal and site related only, we're sick of all your immature bullshit". The Tavern obviously came back the next day but the Symposium was deep six'd forever.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:41 am 

How come Muhammadabbadabba and nifelhammer joined the forum in 1969, 33 years before HB and Morrigan?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 am 

hmi wrote:
And there was a user who not sure what happened to her, but someone searched all her posts and found that she mentioned evisceration or some form there of in almost every one of her posts. :lol:
Morrigan wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

I don't remember any chick like that

You guys are speaking of Lacuna. She was apparently a very disturbed woman. Lacuna posted all of the following within a fairly short period of time.

Lacuna wrote:
My mother is a sociologist and would like to know...why do DMists have a thing about viscera and defecation?

Lacuna wrote:
Dude, rest assured I do not think that all death metal is about viscera and defecation.

Lacuna wrote:
Drowning in viscera - cannibal corpse

Lacuna wrote:
Viscera - Neo Metal (http://www.viscera-music.com)

Lacuna wrote:
[pot kettle black] why are these goregrind/brutal death metal types obsessed with their viscera? and defecation? [/pot kettle black]

I like that. \m/

Lacuna wrote:
What is the difference between gravel and baby viscera?

You can't gargle with gravel.

Lacuna wrote:
Anyone doing anything to your viscera. In the medieval ages they had this method of torture where they would tie you down, slit your abdomen and let rats eat your intestines. Lovely...

Lacuna wrote:
I've been listening to lots of very violent, convulsive death metal. Decapitated, Visceral Bleeding and Eviscerated mainly.

Lacuna wrote:
Disappointing? What??? The Blackening fucking eviscerates!!!!

Lacuna wrote:
Go fuck yourself up the ass, in the brain and viscera.

Lacuna wrote:
Boxma, please go stab your viscera repeatedly.

Lacuna wrote:
And I get sick to my fucking viscera of being treated like I have a disabling condition just because I am a female.

Lacuna wrote:
I love the album art on Once Upon The Cross by Deicide, with the picture of Jesus with his viscera ripped out. That's pretty cool.

Lacuna wrote:
You might like Eviscerated http://www.myspace.com/eviscerated

Lacuna wrote:
You might also like Visceral Bleeding's later stuff

Lacuna wrote:
*metaphorical dick sucking*

I love your music, it fucking eviscerates!

Lacuna wrote:
I've seen one movie that could. Did you see the movie Altered where those guys tied the alien to the table and cut open its body cavity and rummaged around in its (yellow!!Surprised) viscera for the transmitter?

Lacuna wrote:
Anything by Visceral Bleeding. Their music is so fast it fucks with your adrenalin level.

Lacuna wrote:
A nice, sexy suit of armour made specifically for a girl...and a long sword Big grin And I'd listen to Visceral Bleeding while fighting to the death.

Lacuna wrote:
That woman is a fucking ass and should be force fed her own viscera.

Lacuna wrote:
What I like about death metal? I like its violent, visceral, convulsive quality.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:28 am 

if you weren't here for HUMANBEANS you really weren't here at all.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:30 pm 

i look up HUMANBEANS every once in a while to recollect.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:09 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
How come Muhammadabbadabba and nifelhammer joined the forum in 1969, 33 years before HB and Morrigan?

Because those dudes are OG.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:47 pm 

aloof wrote:
but, also, since we're asking site questions, how can he have 15 profiles? my flatmate tried creating an m-a profile years ago and got a message that they can't "because they already have one"... which sounds like an IP thing.

I've seen quite a few users get banned then come back with a new profile, too, or they make multiple accounts to appear as different, agreeing report-filers :D is it a VPN trick?

CK's idiosyncrasies are tolerated since he contributes so much to the site. The same can't be said of most banned users, though some have been allowed to return under different names over the years if they behave themselves.

That said, there's no rule against two accounts using the same connection if they're two different people. It's hard to tell, and often it indicates something suspicious going on but... Sounds like someone jumped the gun a bit regarding your flatmate's account. :\

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm 

sincere thanks for the reply :) and if I recall correctly, it was an automated message upon getting to the signup/register page, not a mod/admin's doing... quite a few years ago.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:19 pm 

Hmm, but there's nothing that checks users' IP automatically on registration...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:03 pm 

maybe there was at some point? circa 2008-2011? or perhaps I was signed in when they tried, but I don't think the register option even shows up then... sorries for the headache :/

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:19 pm 

Could it be that your friend tried signing up using an existing username and interpreted the error message regarding that as a warning or an act of prohibition against having multiple accounts?

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:41 pm 

I know you guys get a lot of hate from fans for not including certain bands on the site, but how often do you guys get hate from actual band members for not accepting their bands?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 pm 

The only instance I have off the top of my head would be an interview with one of the guys from Tombs who made some passive comment about how "Well I guess some basement dwelling nerds decided we aren't actually a metal band" or something like that, but it was pretty mild, not said to us specifically, and they were added once their next album dropped so it was all pointless anyway. To my knowledge there hasn't been anything too funny in that regard.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:28 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The only instance I have off the top of my head would be an interview with one of the guys from Tombs who made some passive comment about how "Well I guess some basement dwelling nerds decided we aren't actually a metal band" or something like that, but it was pretty mild, not said to us specifically, and they were added once their next album dropped so it was all pointless anyway. To my knowledge there hasn't been anything too funny in that regard.

It wasn't even once they released a new album - Path of Totality was reevaluated and the mods collectively agreed that it was acceptable (including at least one who originally said "no").

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:49 am 

Yep, I remember bringing up Tombs back in 2011 and Nightgaunt had a listen and was like "maybe, but meh". No further discussion, nobody pressed the point and the whole thing was essentially left there and forgotten after that, until they were brought up again and eventually added in 2013. So that interview mention is even funnier considering that it wasn't actually a decisive ruling but simply us forgetting about the band (not to mention that most mods were probably unaware of them altogether).

As for hate from the bands themselves, well, to put it mildly, it's not unheard of for people to try to submit their own bands/projects. And if they get rejected they may not take it well in the S&C thread. Happens all the time. Have a look at this thicko's post history.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:55 am 

Niklas Sanger wrote:
I know you guys get a lot of hate from fans for not including certain bands on the site, but how often do you guys get hate from actual band members for not accepting their bands?

Of what I've seen in the report queue, they get just as much hate from bands wanting their entry removed, only to "properly" add one themselves, and double the hate from musicians wanting their real name removed, even when they were the ones adding it in the first place. There's just no rest for the wicked, I suppose. :p

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next