Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 pm 

The cardiac arrest on the flight wasn't the end of it, BBC News has just posted the news that Carrie Fisher has passed away. After so many celebrities I don't really care about dying this year, it's a bit unexpected how this is moving me emotionally. I guess being part of a saga that is one of the defining loves of my life puts it so close to my heart. A very sad loss, a very sad day.

RIP.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:17 pm 

Fuuuuuuuck! 2016 knows its time is short; I suspect this isn't the end of it.

They might as well cancel episodes VIII and IX now. What's the point?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 pm 

:(
R.I.P.
Thiestru wrote:

Episode VIII has already been filmed. Don't know what will happen with IX, but that's not really the biggest concern now is it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm 

She was awesome as Leia and did a great job selling that role with fire and personality. RIP.

I don't see why they'd stop any future sequels though...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:26 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
:(
R.I.P.
Thiestru wrote:

Episode VIII has already been filmed. Don't know what will happen with IX, but that's not really the biggest concern now is it.

No, I didn't mean to suggest that it were. I just wanted to emphasize how crucial she is to those movies, is all.

Anyway, movies aside, this is very, very sad. I had just read a couple of hours before this latest news of her passing was announced that she was in stable condition, so I had my hopes up that she'd pull through. Don't really know what else to say. I know she had many struggles in her life, so at least she's free of them now. The real tragedy is for all who loved her. I hope she went painlessly. Rest in peace.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:30 pm 

Quote:
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:52 pm 

I must say, until now I had never known the name of the actress who played Princess Leia in the Star Wars movies. Then again I haven't watched a SW movie since 2002 or so. I didn't like Phantom Menace and couldn't sit through the 2nd movie. Me and my family stopped the tape 40-50 mins in and brought it back to the video store form which we had rented it. SW was dead to me from that day on.

Anyway, it seems she's a cinema legend, so RIP. Yet another one leaves us. That being said I hope Clint Eastwood is fine. He's what, 85 now? Same for Jack Nicholson.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:00 pm 

Watching Episode 8 is going to be a bittersweet experience... I still can't believe she passed away... I really thought she would survive 2016... Rest in peace Princess, and may the Force be forever with you.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:54 pm 

George Michael on Christmas, and now Carrie Fisher?

Who's next, Brian May?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:58 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
George Michael on Christmas, and now Carrie Fisher?

Who's next, Brian May?

When Lemmy died someone said in here "Brian May"is next. Can't recall if it was you or not, but don't say those things, man.

I still believe Keith Richards is immortal, however.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:01 pm 

Well, the 2016 shitstorm certainly isn't getting the fuck out of here quietly. Extremely sad news, especially since it seemed like she was in recovery from the initial heart issue, the last I heard.

Anyway, to put a bit of a cheerful spin on this awful news: I think it's pretty fucking great that she went from being one of those actors famous almost entirely for a single role, who fell into the oblivion of booze, drugs and mental health problems, to survive all of that, come back to not only the silver screen with praise heaped upon her, but also to turn around to be not only a powerful role model for people with bipolar disorder but also just a good role model in general. She went out with a bang, that's for sure.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:06 am 

She was also really awesome in The Blues brothers.

My collection

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:02 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, the 2016 shitstorm certainly isn't getting the fuck out of here quietly. Extremely sad news, especially since it seemed like she was in recovery from the initial heart issue, the last I heard.

Anyway, to put a bit of a cheerful spin on this awful news: I think it's pretty fucking great that she went from being one of those actors famous almost entirely for a single role, who fell into the oblivion of booze, drugs and mental health problems, to survive all of that, come back to not only the silver screen with praise heaped upon her, but also to turn around to be not only a powerful role model for people with bipolar disorder but also just a good role model in general. She went out with a bang, that's for sure.

Also just an all-around funny and awesomely snarky person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1E6IexeSrQ

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:57 pm 

Debbie Reynolds now too.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:09 pm 

I feel so awful for Billie Lourd. To lose your mother and grandmother right around Christmas and at the same time, no less.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 am 

Mutterficker wrote:
Who's next, Brian May?

No, apparently her mom was next. Shit, that's rough. That poor family.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 am 

It's said that there are few conditions more egregious than the one a parent feels when they outlive their child.

A reminder to try your very best to never do that to your parents.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:37 am 

Festivus wrote:
When Lemmy died someone said in here "Brian May"is next. Can't recall if it was you or not, but don't say those things, man.

kinda sad that he really is sick at the moment, most people probably have missed the news back in October

Quote:
BRIAN MAY has been forced to cancel all of his December concerts as he fights a “persistent illness”.

"I'm leaving today on a big steel bird to spend some time recharging in a safe place. Need to turn off the phones and media for a while.
"Apologies to everyone involved in the things I will miss. I have to get away and prioritise healing - sometimes there is no choice."

In a recent status update it has been confirmed there has been a slow but steady recovery however

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:56 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's said that there are few conditions more egregious than the one a parent feels when they outlive their child.

A reminder to try your very best to never do that to your parents.

Yeah, I've known a few people who have lost their children due to a illness like cancer or so and they said they have never been the same since then.

Machine_Dead wrote:

Quote:
BRIAN MAY has been forced to cancel all of his December concerts as he fights a “persistent illness”.

"I'm leaving today on a big steel bird to spend some time recharging in a safe place. Need to turn off the phones and media for a while.
"Apologies to everyone involved in the things I will miss. I have to get away and prioritise healing - sometimes there is no choice."

In a recent status update it has been confirmed there has been a slow but steady recovery however

Had no idea he was ill, but it's good to know he seems to be recovering.

People have labelled 2016 the worst year ever as far as celebrity deaths go. I think that's hyperbole, even though this year several big names did die. But many of the entertainment industry's legends are already quite old, so it's highly likely we'll see names like Sean Connery, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson and Clint Eastwood(he is 85-86 already...) passing away in the next 10-15 years.

But we'll still hopefully have guys like Hugh Laurie, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman around.

Reply to topic