Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 pm 

I've never liked last.fm or any of the online music sites like it. Never had much success to be honest. Most of the online sites just repeatedly link he same stuff on repeat...or I get 1 song I like and 3 or 4 that I don't. I still prefer to buy CD's or vinyl of what I want and listen to that. I love having the physical release in my hands to look through and feel plus I can listen to exactly what I want when I want it.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 am 

I'm on orionparker's side on this one. Never used Last.FM, Spotify,.... had a myspace account back in the days, but can't remember for what reason or what I even did there :???: It's just not my way of consuming music or finding new stuff, I guess.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm 

Only recently got last.fm so I can't really speak to its alleged decline, but the only thing I really care to use it for is the listening stats and it's great for that.

Here's my account: https://www.last.fm/user/thumb-man

SpinRightRound
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 am 

It's stupid for the most part, but it can be a little bit useful sometimes for finding connections across music that is not metal.
The events calendar is always woefully incomplete — if only this was a solved problem, then it would be a good redeeming quality.
The recommendations have poor user interaction (they require one to "scrobble" to work), I'd rather manually input a few things but this is intentionally made harder.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 am 

I enjoy the statistics, but I feel like it's really missing something. The stats are quite obviously the fundamental feature of the site, both for end-users like myself, as well as the affiliates, who get anonymous analytics and listening data from last.fm. Still, it doesn't seem like quite enough to keep coming back, as it's a rather solipsistic experience without more immersive community mechanics. The subscription offers practically nothing of value.

Anyway, this is my profile. https://www.last.fm/user/Sarguer

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:11 am 

I love using it to see what I've been listening to lately. And since people are always asking me what I've been listening to lately, that makes it a lot easier...

http://www.last.fm/user/eustace-scrubb

crentdub
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 pm 

I have not been able to login to the webpage for weeks and am currently using Pano Scrobbler for mobile use, but I am still fascinated with last.fm despite a long abscence.

Anyone else have an account to share what their listening?

Now Scrobbling: AC/DC - Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be

https://www.last.fm/user/CrentDub

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:52 am 

I'm scrobbling most of what I listen to. I even sometimes manually scrobble some of the albums we spin at my mate's.

https://www.last.fm/user/Sarguer

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:07 pm 

I've used it from 2006 to something like 2018. I liked it a lot, very useful in keeping my own tags for bands, reminding me of bands I haven't listened to for a while while randomly scrolling charts or whatever, discovering new bands etc. I liked the newer versions less and less but it costed me nothing to just let it scrobble while listening to music anyway.

But then I think my account got hacked about six months ago. Most of my scrobbles were deleted and it basically became "empty." What really bothered me though was that I couldn't find anywhere to ask for proper support from someone from the company, to see if it would be possible to do something like restore the account at a specific date. I remember searching for some time for any way to contact support, I couldn't find anything except a regular forum but only normal users would answer. Which I tried, and only got one troll answer. So I gave up on it. My listening habits have changed and I didn't use it much anyway before this. It's just a shame 12 years of scrobbling disappeared just like that.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am 

I've used it quite religiously since 2009 (link in my sig). I manually scrobble anything that gets lost (scrobbling from iTunes is hit and miss these days) using Universal Scrobbler.

Lydster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:52 pm 

I used to use it as a social tool - a way to find people with similar tastes and talk about or recommend albums, but most of those old friends don't seem to use the site anymore. That's okay. I still think it's a great website and mainly log-in to find the most listened-to songs by a certain artist.

My top 5 this week: Fleetwood Mac, Iron Maiden, Camel, Deep Purple and Cynic.

Variety is the spice of life...

https://www.last.fm/user/RM_Lidster

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:22 pm 

Nowadays I only use it for scrobbling, back in the day I used it as a social platform, too, but I never streamed anything off it. I had a few years hiatus on it when I only listened to music while commuting from/to work, and that device doesn't have internet... it coincided with the whole beta redesign.
For concerts, I've always used a local site (Fémforgács), and sometimes Fakebook helps out, too.

Links to my online presence

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 am 

I like to see how much my top 8 has changed throughout the years as I've discovered more artists and lost interest in others. Nine Inch Nails and Finntroll used to be in my top 8 at some point and Týr in my top 20. Nowadays NIN are like my 92nd most played band and Týr arent' even in my top 100 anymore. Surprisingly Finntroll are 36th. I expected them to be like 57th.

Capcom and Sega also adding the OSTs of a lot of their games to Spotify has helped them quickly climb to my top 5 as well lol

I barely scrobbled up until I got Spotify Premium in 2016 or so. Back in 2009-2015 I could only scrobble from my computer, which limited the number of scrobbles. Never had an ipod or anything like that. So I don't really have that many scrobbles for a decade old account.

I must say, at the moment, I don't see my top 4 most scrobbled artists being replaced any time soon. The steep is too big between them and the rest. Capcom Sound Team is number 1 with 4,479 plays and Iron Maiden comes in a distant 2nd with 1,839. I REALLY love the Phoenix Wright OSTs and the old Mega Man and Street Fighter OSTs and they're not very long tracks for the most part, so it's easy to get a bunch of scrobbles in one weekend.

It's really bizarre how Last.Fm stats are so important to us. It's like we're playing some sort of imaginary competition with our own favourite artists.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 pm 

Festivus wrote:
It's really bizarre how Last.Fm stats are so important to us. It's like we're playing some sort of imaginary competition with our own favourite artists.

I used lastfm for a few weeks, but abandoned it after a while because of this. It just kills your listening experience when you try to bump up the artists who seemingly "deserve" the top spots.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 am 

Festivus wrote:

For me, I use it because I think it's interesting to see who my favorite bands objectively are, and how my tastes have changed over the years. A lot of my top artists are artists that I've not listened to in a really long time, so to see how far they ascended over the time I did listen to them is interesting.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 am 

Diplomate wrote:
I used lastfm for a few weeks, but abandoned it after a while because of this. It just kills your listening experience when you try to bump up the artists who seemingly "deserve" the top spots.

Well, it depends how you approach it, I'd say. It can actually remind me sometimes that I should re-listen to a certain album or give a certain artist a second chance. It's not like I obsess with it haha

Unorthodox wrote:

For me, I use it because I think it's interesting to see who my favorite bands objectively are, and how my tastes have changed over the years. A lot of my top artists are artists that I've not listened to in a really long time, so to see how far they ascended over the time I did listen to them is interesting.

Well it depends. On one hand it kinda does, but on the other hand, there's some artists who are quite high in scrobble count in my profile because they have a song or two I really like and listen to both songs about 50 times a year. But the rest of their discography isn't really that appealing to me or I even dislike. For example, there's only about 3-4 Limp Bizkit songs I like, which I listen to often, but I don't care about the rest of their work. So it kind of inflates their stats in my profile.

Some people just listen to music by album and delete scrobbles and want their profile to be as accurate as possible, but I don't really obsess over that.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 am 

i use last.fm to spread out my listening across a bands discography, get artist recommendations for genres that arent metal and just to compare my taste with other people. The competition part thats there for many isnt there for me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:00 am 

Just perpetually working on having the coolest charts ever so if anybody asks for music recommendations I can just link it.

It works. https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:37 am 

I feel like, at this point, people will be very confused by my listening habits. One day they see me scrobbling a bunch of thrash and death metal albums and the next day they see me scrobbling a bunch of female japanese pop music.

In the early years of my last.fm account 99% of my scrobbles were of metal, classical music, hard rock and video game OSTs. In the last 5 years or so genres like j-pop, k-pop, jazz, synthwave and vaporwave have shown up and made quite an impact. It's strange, because I never expected to become the type of person who listens to several different sorts of music. I wouldn't call myself one of those "I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING" people, though. Nor do I care if someone only sticks to one genre or two. That kind of elitism and telling people to be "open-minded" is annoying. Music is a very personal thing and it either clicks with you or it doesn't. Let people listen to whatever they want to.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am 

The amount of scrobbles doesn't tell much about what you actually spend time listening to - considering the ease of cranking up hundreds of scrobbles by, say, Cannibal Corpse, just by being curious about their discography, or listening to a 35-minute album every week. How many hours a day do you have to listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor in order to accumulate a similar amount of scrobbles? It also tells me more about what bands or albums I might sort of fall back to, or feel comfortable listening to over and over. There are plenty of gems that I listen to only a couple of times a year perhaps, maybe because they're dense, atmospheric, and demand attention, and would be somehow cheapened if I listened to them in the background while eating fish & chips and watching someone play a strategy game on Youtube.

So yeah, scrobbles tell a very specific thing, which may or may not really reflect what you actually enjoy the most.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:13 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The amount of scrobbles doesn't tell much about what you actually spend time listening to - considering the ease of cranking up hundreds of scrobbles by, say, Cannibal Corpse, just by being curious about their discography, or listening to a 35-minute album every week. How many hours a day do you have to listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor in order to accumulate a similar amount of scrobbles? It also tells me more about what bands or albums I might sort of fall back to, or feel comfortable listening to over and over. There are plenty of gems that I listen to only a couple of times a year perhaps, maybe because they're dense, atmospheric, and demand attention, and would be somehow cheapened if I listened to them in the background while eating fish & chips and watching someone play a strategy game on Youtube.

So yeah, scrobbles tell a very specific thing, which may or may not really reflect what you actually enjoy the most.

Exactly.

I really like a lot of jazz and classical music pieces, but they're often long and not exactly music I'll listen on my phone as I walk down the street on my way to work or home. Since it's music you "need" to pay more attention to instead of just using it as background noise or something to entertain yourself with for a few minutes before the bus arrives. I'm not gonna listen to an entire symphony in that situation and in such little time. It's a lot easier to just go into my "Starred" playlist on Spotify and shuffle through my absolute favourite songs instead.

Yes, if you're heavily into grindcore you'll easily rack up a lot of scrobbles in a week. I remember a few days when I wanted to set a new daily record of scrobbles and basically listened to video game music and grindcore albums lol.

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:40 pm 

I've been using the site for who knows how long... probably '06? Deleted my original account due to a stalker, and am on my fourth now. Wishing I had kept the original because I absolutely love the stats portion of the site. Sure, it's a pale reflection of what it used to be, but I'm still there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4