Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm 

I've been given the go-ahead to give this a try. I'm sure others share the same sentiment over how discouraging it can be for posts about PC and indie games to get drowned out by more popular console games within the Sarlacc that is the Video Game Thread. This thread is an off-shoot of that one. Here is a dedicated spot for those of us who want to discuss PC games (games made for a predominantly PC audience) and indie games (games made by independent developers for any audience).

We strongly encourage discussions about consoles and console games to be continued in the Video Game Thread. Use your discretion when making posts here. If you're looking to discuss certain games with people who are specifically interested in PC games and/or games by independent developers, this is the place to post. If you are looking to discuss console games, games with a more general audience of gamers (cross-platformers with a broad audience, for example) or you are looking to discuss general issues in gaming itself, it's strongly encouraged that you use the Video Game Thread.

In short, use this thread for discussing PC and indie games with people interested in PC and indie games. Use the other thread for discussing games and gaming issues with a more general audience. Makes sense?

That said, some guidelines:
- Tell us why you like a game. Nothing is gained by name dropping without giving a reason.
- This isn't a news or promotional thread so try to give a reason why you are looking forward to a game or why a newly announced feature has got you excited.
- If you've just finished a game, give us your thoughts on the game instead of telling us what's next on your big fat list of games to play.

Steam Names
If you want yourself added, please just let me know through PM preferably (so we don't pollute this thread that way)

Derigin (ID: derigin)
Nochielo (ID: Nochielo)
Smoking_Gnu (ID: Kurt Mansmith)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:15 pm 

My favorite PC game soundtrack:

Trying to get in the mood for "UT4."

Does anybody else other than me still play Counter-strike 1.6?

Any hardcore DooMers outside of myself, Othuum and MorbidEngel?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:21 pm 

Yeah, Alexander Brandon is definitely up there with the best video game music composers. Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, etc. I especially like his early work on Tyrian, which also happens to be one of the very best shmups ever made. The dude who does Freeman's Mind did a video review of it which goes into detail about what makes it so awesome:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:25 pm 

Yeah, Brandon rules. Don't forget Jazz Jackrabbit 2!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 pm 

Videogame Thread V2: Master race, Gestapo HQ expansion.

Also, fuckin Jazz Jackrabbit. I haven't seen that name in a looooooooong time. I can't comment on anything else besides playing Smite and Humongous Entertainment Games. I don't know why the latter.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:32 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Yeah, Brandon rules. Don't forget Jazz Jackrabbit 2!

I've actually never played any Jazz Jackrabbit games :(

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm 

PDS wrote:
Videogame Thread V2: Master race

Let me make something very clear: any sort of elitist or divisive rhetoric like "master race" (joking or not) will result in this thread being nuked into oblivion. :) You have been warned.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:01 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
PDS wrote:
Videogame Thread V2: Master race

Let me make something very clear: any sort of elitist or divisive rhetoric like "master race" (joking or not) will result in this thread being nuked into oblivion. :) You have been warned.

Spoiler: show

Looks like this thread is having a rough birth. Anyways...

My favorite indie game designer is Nifflas. He is best known for his vaguely metroidvania-like but nonviolent atmospheric, story-driven, yet non-linear platformers such as the Knytt games, Saira, Within a Deep Forest and a bunch of other games I cannot stop praising. Many of them are free downloads too. Knytt Stories in particular is a must play, and possibly his most significant work since with its level editor it has inspired a community of creators to tirelessly churn out exciting new content for the game. Highly recommended.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 pm 

I had to rebuy a PS3 since the other one overheated, and I almost regret it, as the game I have left to play is Last Of Us. I used to be big on consoles, now I only play PC games. Even better is that I almost never pay full price for them.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
My favorite indie game designer is Nifflas. He is best known for his vaguely metroidvania-like but nonviolent atmospheric, story-driven, yet non-linear platformers such as the Knytt games, Saira, Within a Deep Forest and a bunch of other games I cannot stop praising. Many of them are free downloads too. Knytt Stories in particular is a must play, and possibly his most significant work since with its level editor it has inspired a community of creators to tirelessly churn out exciting new content for the game. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I really love Nifflas's games, I think I've played all of them at this point. They just have this great atmosphere of relaxed exploration and adventuring. The combination of massive areas to explore, relatively low amount of enemies/hazards, and very high character speed/agility just makes for a sweet combo. There's very little in platformers that's as satisfying as zipping through the levels in the Knytt series and scrambling up huge walls, diving into caves, exploring temples and ruins, etc. etc.

For those who haven't played I don't mean to say these games are unchallenging, there are some super fiendish jumping puzzles (especially in Saira, goddamn), but much less about dodging enemies than Mario or Metroid or whatever.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Any hardcore DooMers outside of myself, Othuum and MorbidEngel?

Alien Vendetta takes the cake.

I've played a lot of the old big megawads but haven't been in the scene for awhile.

Recently ran through all the vanilla/official Doom games with the PS3 collection released on the PSN. Despite generally not being a fan of it the first few times through, I think I had the most fun with Plutonia. I just wish the textures didn't suck in that one. BROWN!!!!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:26 pm 

Yeah AV is probably my #1 as well.

Playing (err, more getting my ass handed to me by) Hell Revealed 2 at the moment. Aesthetically misses the mark, but it plays like a champ. Highly recommended.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 pm 

@failsafeman: I almost forgot to mention his latest game, The Great Work. Have you played it? The visual style is basically the same as Knytt Underground, but there are some interesting new mechanics (e.g. diving). While it's not as expansive as Underground, I almost feel like it's a bit more refined than previous games. I can't even pinpoint why exactly I'm having that impression. Maybe it's just that overall it feels warmer, more homely (both in visual and sonic ambiance, and through the narrative), and less vast, cold and intimidating (although that in itself doesn't make it better of course).

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 pm 

I think I had to play those on Hey Not too Rough haha. In general I'll admit I'm more of a HMP guy vs UV. With HMP I generally get to enjoy the ride a bit, while having to still put in some effort.

What I've covered:
Hell Revealed 1-2
Memento Mori 1-2
Community Chest Pack 1-3
Alien Vendetta

... I know there's gotta be more. I also got through the most of one of those claustrophobic designed megawads, with insanely tiny levels, it was pretty cool.

Also I love to give Doom 64 props. I played TC Absolution and would like to check out the EX port sometime next, which is even more authentic supposedly. I like Doom 3, but Doom 64 is like the true Doom 3. Same concepts, but with a facelift and tone change that works. The level design was great and I remember this one being pretty damn hard after awhile, it felt like Hell Knight's were the common Imp in the majority of the game. If you can get into the visual changes and looks, it's damn good and I'd highly recommend it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:45 pm 

DooM 64 was great for its time, and scared me to death as a kid... the ambient music that was dictated by environs was well-implemented.

Another great megawad I played recently was Requiem. It is old, but kicks ass.

Plutonia 2 is way more recent but is an insane play... as hard as I've ever beaten! Great soundtrack too, the likes of which I uploaded onto YouTube in its entirety (open in full for timestamps:)

Last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:22 pm 

Does it abuse Chaingunners like the first Plutonia?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:38 pm 

It wouldn't be true Plutonia without hitscaner abuse!

Nah, it isn't that unbearable... but what do I know, my most hated monster is The Cyberdemon. :guns:

Last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03 pm 

I think I'll go with Chaingunners for me haha. They are so easy to destroy in front of you, but when the level design tucks them away or hides them (ie PLUTONIA!!!) they are devastating. I find them to be more intimating than the monsters that throw or shoot dodgeable projectiles... but there's no dodging chaingunners if you're in their sights!

A lot of fans seem to always vote for Revenant as the worst, but I don't know. They usually end up being the priority to take down in a group, but they never bug me too much... usually. Mancubus' are probably the biggest pushovers haha, so easy to dodge and they're so huge so easy hits. Pain Elemental's blow chunks, now those guys I hate. Arch Viles are the scariest bust-out-the-BFG-now encounters.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 pm 

Revs are irritating if utilized intelligently by the mapper, I just hate how it seems like they get homing rocket 90% of the time when you absolutely can't afford them fire one!

I'm playing Hell Revealed 2, which has this nasty habit of giving you just enough ammo to clear out big rooms full of erm...."bigs", then just as you start approaching the exit the walls come down and a half-dozen archviles start repopulating the room!

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 am 

Been playing Strafe a bit, I like what I've played so far and it's soundtrack is really good/energetic. It feels like it could have been made in the 90's (1997/8-ish) and doesn't reek of the 'fake retro look' like most new platformers. I have very few PC games but Strafe and Terrordrome are worthy non-gigabyte-chomping additions I feel.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:37 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
@failsafeman: I almost forgot to mention his latest game, The Great Work. Have you played it? The visual style is basically the same as Knytt Underground, but there are some interesting new mechanics (e.g. diving). While it's not as expansive as Underground, I almost feel like it's a bit more refined than previous games. I can't even pinpoint why exactly I'm having that impression. Maybe it's just that overall it feels warmer, more homely (both in visual and sonic ambiance, and through the narrative), and less vast, cold and intimidating (although that in itself doesn't make it better of course).

I haven't actually played The Great Work yet, but I definitely will get it at some point. Nifflas is one of the few devs I always buy every new game from. It's interesting how that works - his first few games were 100% free, he built up a fanbase who had confidence in his product and goodwill towards him personally, and now he can charge for the games and make a good bit of dough.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 pm 

A viable business strategy many game companies could learn from, no doubt. But the man seems to genuinely care about his fans to the point where making a profit appears to be secondary. After all he recently made Saira available for free, and the new game is free as well.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:37 pm 

Tarn Adams of Dwarf Fortress fame certainly has an unusual but successful strategy. DF is free to anyone who wants it, and his entire income is solely from donations provided by the players. He does reasonably well too, usually about 4000 a month and then double to triple that in a month with a big release.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:53 pm 

Any fans of Counter-Strike and Red Orchestra 2 should check out Insurgency. Used to be a mod for HL2 back in the day and now it's a standalone game for the Source engine. They gave away a bunch of free copies many months ago to inject some life into the game and I managed to snag one. Even at $15, it's worth checking out. Why? It's great fun, especially if you can appreciate a game with strong, realistic, tactical gunplay. It's one of those games where you're lucky if you take a bullet and live. It has a lot of gameplay options, mostly varied game modes. Firefight is reminiscent of the pace of Counter-Strike (respawns are less frequent), while Push is reminiscent of the pace of a Battlefield game (more frequent respawns).

What I can really appreciate about it is that an indie developer put out an online shooter that feels like it has the polish of a AAA-project (good graphics, not buggy, accessible) but with the strong appeal of a niche project (tactical gameplay which is almost entirely absent from popular shooters these days).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:54 pm 

I love Insurgency! It's not the most elaborate of first person shooters, but it allows for a comfortable, casual experience. On top of that it's constantly being updated, which is very, very nice. I can't say I ever played Counter Strike (I was a little too late on the ball there, I think), but I have enjoyed first person shooters since the DooM days. Lots of good, worthwhile WADs. t1337dude and others, if you wish to add me on Steam feel free to do so (I go by "derigin" there as well). A few friends and I often party-up for Insurgency and would love to have others join us!

Other than that I've spent a lot of time over the last year playing ARMA3. I don't really care so much for the campaigns, but a close friend and I periodically use a mod called "Dynamic Universal War," which allows for a more open sandbox capture-point form of gameplay. He criticizes me constantly because I tend to lead squads as a sniper (usually the best at that), but it's all in good fun.

As far as the game I've been playing the most... probably Cities: Skylines. I've been watching the development on it since last summer. In many way it's the spiritual successor of Simcity 2000 and Simcity 4. I was sorely disappointed by Simcity 2013 (as most people are) and for the last 12 years no decent city-builder has come out. A lot of the old developers are dead or dying, with Maxis being the latest victim earlier this month. I've enjoyed city-builders a lot when I was younger, and so was eager to see what Cities: Skylines would offer. The developer is a small Finnish company of less than a dozen people working under Paradox (the distributing company responsible for other great personal timesinks, Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV). The game was released earlier this week, and for the last month it has been getting a lot of positive hype. Streamers were given pre-release access to the game and were able to show the game off... and it's exactly what a city-builder should be. It's not perfect, but the game comes with incredible mod support and a plan for continuous new content. It's also only $30. So far since release it has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, and is now around #4 or #5 most played game on that service. I highly, highly recommend checking it out if you want to play a good, contemporary city-builder with a solid base simulation and a lot of potential!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:15 pm 

Cities: Skylines I have some interest in. I played the original Simcity and 2000 a lot back in the day (didn't really bother with 4 though, strangely enough). I'm a bit worried that my 5 year old computer won't be able to run it though. I did put in an order for a new graphics card (should have that next week), so that probably should help a bit.

Pillars of Eternity I'm pretty excited about. Hopefully it won't be too bug-ridden/broken. I'm just waiting for Obsidian to send out keys to their kickstarter backers.

Satellite Reign I have some interest as well. It appears to be a spiritual successor to Syndicate (unlike that crappy shooter EA released a couple years ago). I'm gonna wait until its fully released though - early access games don't appeal to me at all anymore.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 pm 

Derigin wrote:
I love Insurgency! It's not the most elaborate of first person shooters, but it allows for a comfortable, casual experience. On top of that it's constantly being updated, which is very, very nice. I can't say I ever played Counter Strike (I was a little too late on the ball there, I think), but I have enjoyed first person shooters since the DooM days. Lots of good, worthwhile WADs. t1337dude and others, if you wish to add me on Steam feel free to do so (I go by "derigin" there as well). A few friends and I often party-up for Insurgency and would love to have others join us!

I enjoyed my time with Insurgency (I was one of the guys that snagged a free copy a few months) but I wasn't quite feeling the community. I'm willing to give it a shot with a group that's a little closer knit. I go by "Nochielo" on Steam too, I'll add you, if you don't mind.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:19 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Pillars of Eternity I'm pretty excited about. Hopefully it won't be too bug-ridden/broken. I'm just waiting for Obsidian to send out keys to their kickstarter backers.

Yeah, me too. I might actually wait a bit before I play it, just so they get a chance to patch the inevitable wave of bugs first. Still, it looks great, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I'm pretty impressed with the development cycle - lots of these kickstarter games seem to go massively over their estimated release date, but PoE seems to have been planned pretty well in that regard.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:28 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Cities: Skylines I have some interest in. I played the original Simcity and 2000 a lot back in the day (didn't really bother with 4 though, strangely enough). I'm a bit worried that my 5 year old computer won't be able to run it though. I did put in an order for a new graphics card (should have that next week), so that probably should help a bit.

Definitely worth it. I'm currently running it on a 5 year old computer, too, and so far it's running nicely. No performance problems. The game does prefer an independent GPU, however, so a dedicated video card is a must. It also has excellent support for multi-threading, so better machines would notice an improved experience. Other than that, it's a pleasant surprise to find an agent-based simulation game run so smoothly. It still blows my mind this was developed by less than a dozen people.

Nochielo wrote:
I enjoyed my time with Insurgency (I was one of the guys that snagged a free copy a few months) but I wasn't quite feeling the community. I'm willing to give it a shot with a group that's a little closer knit. I go by "Nochielo" on Steam too, I'll add you, if you don't mind.

Feel free to add me! I'm going to add a section to the OP for steam names if people want to share theirs. Just let me know in a PM.

I know what you mean by the community for Insurgency. It reminds me a little of the early Call of Duty 1/2 communities; not yet entirely immature but going that way. I normally just mute the players I'm not chatting with, anyway. And spawn camping is, thankfully, discouraged.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 am 

Ys fans, consider backing this struggling campaign...
CrossCode
The gameplay is legit, there's a length demo that's really cool. If you like action-RPGs and/or Ys games, give it a try.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I'm pretty impressed with the development cycle - lots of these kickstarter games seem to go massively over their estimated release date, but PoE seems to have been planned pretty well in that regard.

Well, it was originally supposed to come out a year ago... though I suppose a lot of content was added through stretch goals. Definitely not the worst offender in this respect though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:32 pm 

Yes, I'm speaking in relative terms. I haven't backed a single Kickstarter that stuck anywhere close to its initially-projected release date, although I do know it happens sometimes. I also greatly appreciated the frequent updates - there are a couple much smaller campaigns that I backed which aren't in permanent limbo or anything, but with months between updates, it sometimes feels dangerously close to that.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yes, I'm speaking in relative terms. I haven't backed a single Kickstarter that stuck anywhere close to its initially-projected release date

Out of the few I have backed, I have only had one that came within it's release date but it wasn't for a game.

I'm can't wait for Pillars of Eternity. From the makers of Neverwinter Nights 2 and New Vegas? I'm in. They also licensed the Pathfinder RPG so there will be more awesomeness in the future. Pillars of Eternity is like one of the only games I'm ever thinking of pre-ordering mainly because of the space pig. It might be the Chinese side of me since I am born in the Chinese year of the Pig/Boar.

One kickstartered game I have backed is Superhot. While it most likely won't be a hard game, the spectacle itself was worth getting. That and I adored the demo that was released back in 2013. If they could release such awesomeness from a Weeklong Gamejam, I have high hopes for these guys. Plus they release regular updates, so that helps.

Also keeping an eye on (AKA will back if the kickstarter is successful) Seven Dragon Saga, as the premise and concepts are pretty similar. Yeah... I like Isometric RPGs a lot.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:17 pm 

PDS wrote:
One kickstartered game I have backed is Superhot. .

I played the demo, and found it to be interesting. Has anyone played the beta for Carmageddon: Reincarnation yet? They finally made it optimized better, so I can play it at a decent framerate (still pretty low graphics though). It feels like an updated version of Carmageddon 2.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:43 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
PDS wrote:
One kickstartered game I have backed is Superhot. .

I played the demo, and found it to be interesting. Has anyone played the beta for Carmageddon: Reincarnation yet? They finally made it optimized better, so I can play it at a decent framerate (still pretty low graphics though). It feels like an updated version of Carmageddon 2.
I haven't played it, I was initially quite excited but got put off by how long it was taking (not sure why'd you make a kickstarter with nothing and start from scratch), nothing but updates with little to show but 'improved suspension' (?) and annoying creator with his cringe-worthy unfunny commentary. Wake me when it's done.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 pm 

Derigin wrote:
As far as the game I've been playing the most... probably Cities: Skylines. I've been watching the development on it since last summer. In many way it's the spiritual successor of Simcity 2000 and Simcity 4. I was sorely disappointed by Simcity 2013 (as most people are) and for the last 12 years no decent city-builder has come out. A lot of the old developers are dead or dying, with Maxis being the latest victim earlier this month. I've enjoyed city-builders a lot when I was younger, and so was eager to see what Cities: Skylines would offer. The developer is a small Finnish company of less than a dozen people working under Paradox (the distributing company responsible for other great personal timesinks, Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV). The game was released earlier this week, and for the last month it has been getting a lot of positive hype. Streamers were given pre-release access to the game and were able to show the game off... and it's exactly what a city-builder should be. It's not perfect, but the game comes with incredible mod support and a plan for continuous new content. It's also only $30. So far since release it has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, and is now around #4 or #5 most played game on that service. I highly, highly recommend checking it out if you want to play a good, contemporary city-builder with a solid base simulation and a lot of potential!

You've got my interest. Is there any structure or campaign to the game or is it just a sandbox? I enjoyed Sim City and other city sims back in the day (Caesar 2 was a favourite) but I don't know if I can abide by being dumped in an environment and told 'build a city' any more. Some kind of objective would be good. For example, I've never been able to get into Paradox's games and by now I'm pretty sure I need more to a sim than solid mechanics and a mandate to create my own objectives and goals.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm 

Yeah, I like to have some sort of guidance in those games as well, at least when starting out. Once you've got a real feel for it it's easier to invent your own challenges, but when you're just dumped into the deep end with no goals beyond "don't lose" it's just not very engaging.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 pm 

The game has a structure to it, by default, which unlocks features, services and buildings as you gain population and/or you achieve certain objectives. This process can be pretty challenging, especially given that as you grow your city, you have to manage the new features and figure out things like traffic, metro, services, etc. There are things you can unlock by achieving negative objectives by the way (eg. have too much crime). As you grow your city, you can unlock more land to build on as well. There are also mega-structures (which they call "monuments") which are highly desirable, but take time and energy to acquire; one such monument is the Large Hadron Collider.

If you do just want a sandbox mode, the game comes with the option to have everything unlocked from the beginning (or at any point in time you want to unlock everything). There is also a "hardmode" option you can enable if you feel that the game is too easy. I can tell you from my own experience that the game is definitely challenging, but not frustrating. Instead it's actually a lot of fun.

The mod support for the game is pretty damn amazing. The developers released a beefy map editor (with really great water physics as one of the developers is a PhD in that), an asset editor, and a mod API for the game on day one. The asset editor is pretty interesting; not only can you make structures and import them into the game, but you can also substantially modify in-game structures and use assets from within the game to custom build things as you play. For example, if you want a park, but none of the default ones fit, you can easily go into the asset editor, choose a size that fits, add features for the park, and plop it in. You can easily upload it to the Steam Workshop if you want to share it, or download anything from the Workshop as you play by subscribing to it. Already in one week people have created almost 10000 structures. The API is also fairly extensive, and if you know C you can add all sorts of new features to the game. Some people have already started work on a day/night mod, an alien invasion mod, and an ancient Rome conversion mod. The developers, to their credit, seem eager to pump out new features through free updates and to follow the Crusader Kings model of DLC (which is going to be awesome). The game has a great core simulation to it and a lot of potential... I believe, without a doubt, that it's going to remain one of the best games this year.

In a lot of ways the game really does feel like a successor to Simcity 2000. The big difference is that every single individual is a simulated agent in this game, while in Simcity it was entirely statistics-based. You would think that would create performance issues, but so far on my computer (a 5 year old custom-built desktop) I have had no hiccups with performance.

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 am 

I've been playing Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, and both have been kicking my ass. Not because the combat is so challenging (I set the difficulty lower than average and average, respectively, which will get rectified the next episode I begin playing), but because of the maze-like maps and all the puzzly shit. Don't get me wrong, the maps look cool, but it feels like I spend more time on scanning these wast, complex maps for that one thing I missed so I can progress, than actually fucking up baddies. Say what you will of the dumbing down of modern FPS games, but at least playing them you aren't stalling every other level because your attention to detail in relatively homogenous surroundings isn't superhuman, or because of puzzles designed in the mindset of old-school point&clicks cruelly inserted into huge maps.

Great games nevertheless, but I'd fucking love a directional arrow mod or something to cancel out my lack of direction and memory.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 am 

I actually found Hexen to be the worst in that regard, by faaaar. I spent literally days stuck at one point that needed one switch flipped, and said switch was buried in a dark cave way in a corner you would never think to look. And this is required fare for regular advancement, not a secret or anything. Tough games for sure..

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next