Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 pm 

Haha, "Jabbas." As a guy who has been fairly fat in his life, I simply can't understand how one gets to that state. I mean, I understand changing lifestyles as one gets older meaning that you lose interest in or have less time for physical activity, and I totally get that super unhealthy food is amazing (I really do), but once you're at the point where you can't even go out and BUY said food without needing a machine to haul your tubby ass around the store, you're just at a level of "out of control" I can't really wrap my mind around. Annoys me so much to see the voluntarily fat cruising around in those things instead of the involuntarily old.

As for the toilets: huge amounts of water definitely seems like a redneck thing. I remember when I was a kid the government enacted new legislation to limit new toilets to 1.6 gallons per flush, which my redneck dad and uncles saw as an affront to their personal massive dump-taking liberties, so they stocked up on 3+ gpf toilets to make sure we were covered before Big Government came and took our God-given right to monster flushing away. That said, the toilets I've used here in Korea hold a fair bit of water, maybe slightly less than in the US, but holy hell do they have a powerful, long-lasting flush. You could probably flush a pillowcase full of nickels down these things.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:32 pm 

It turns out that you get a lot of results about the US if you search "why is toilet water so high." I've never actually noticed it until Foulchrist pointed it out just now, but damn, public toilet water is really high.

I still stand by my "Americans poop nastier than everybody else" theory.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:39 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
As for the toilets: huge amounts of water definitely seems like a redneck thing. I remember when I was a kid the government enacted new legislation to limit new toilets to 1.6 gallons per flush, which my redneck dad and uncles saw as an affront to their personal massive dump-taking liberties, so they stocked up on 3+ gpf toilets to make sure we were covered before Big Government came and took our God-given right to monster flushing away. That said, the toilets I've used here in Korea hold a fair bit of water, maybe slightly less than in the US, but holy hell do they have a powerful, long-lasting flush. You could probably flush a pillowcase full of nickels down these things.

Really? Well it must depend where you stay because all the places I stayed at in (mostly budget-range hotels in Seoul, which are still pretty damn nice compared to anywhere else in the world) had signs up telling you not to flush the toilet paper because they aren't designed for it. There's a bin right next to it for that. I didn't actually see it the first time so when I tried to flush paper it didn't go down and I had to fish it out because the bowl was flooding.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 pm 

Those could be older buildings with shitty plumbing, maybe? I dunno, my apartment here in Cheonan isn't exactly brand new or super high tech or anything, but the toilet is a monster for sure, and the toilets I've used elsewhere in the city have been the same.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 pm 

That's probably it. On the positive side, on leaving one of these hotels I was presented with this box of gift-wrapped soaps by the manager and given what I could describe as a 'speech' on how they appreciated me staying and hoping I would return, complete with bowing. Very odd and kind of embarrassing, but charming all the same! The Koreans are lovely people. The Chinese and Vietnamese however...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:33 am 

Count me in as another who's surprised that *others* are surprised about the toilet water levels here. Didn't realize it was different outside the US. I suppose it would be nice when you take a fast dump to not get an assfull of splashed-up toilet water.

(oh man, someone needs to get caspian in on this)

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 am 

It amazes me how many of those fat motor-scooter riders are around here. Agreed on everything batman said...I've seen people proud of not having to use one to get around anymore and, yeah, it's good they lost weight - but I'm just not sure it's really an accomplishment to NOT have to use a machine to go buy groceries if you didn't have some kind of medical condition or were too old beforehand.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:12 am 

:ugh:

Yeah, nothing wrong with being a big guy, but being a motor scooter person - oh boy. I went to school in a two bar town and there was like one Wal-Mart and they were ALWAYS those people there....again, goes back to the fact that people are just fearful of the government and all that, so they want to be able to do whatever the hell they want. Same shit with the toilets.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:21 am 

Thing is, the local mancubus I mentioned is ridiculously fat. I feel exhausted just looking at him waddling around when he's not on the scooter. A proper monstrosity.

However, some of the scooter "bound" Americans I saw weren't even that obese. Chunky as fuck for sure, but not to the point where you say "That is one debilitated fat ass motherfucker, poor bastard will never get out of that". People who absolutely should be walking because it's obviously the only exercise they're gonna get/are likely capable of at this point. Disgusting; spreads the message that if you like junk food too much and are already feeling its toll, you might as well give in and embrace the "lifestyle".

:puke:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 am 

Back in DC, every day I took the subway to work and I'd often see this massively fat guy wearing really nice looking clothes waddle in from the bus area toward the trains. "Waddle" is entirely accurate as this guy was so fat that the bulges on his legs meant that he couldn't move his legs past one another in a standard walking motion; he had to like rotate his hips back and forth and plunk one leg down, rotate hips, plunk the other one down, etc. The guy had to stop for two or three breathers (leaning up against the railing and breathing super heavy for a few minutes) during the 50m walk from the bus stop into the train station. C'mon, already. You have to do this every day. I mean, I guess it's possible that he was even fatter before and this is part of him being more active or something, but goddamn.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 am 

I'm not sure how well this'll tie into the "culture shock" idea but I live in Springfield illinois, which is the "land of lincoln". growing up you could barely get through a week without a teacher talking about our city's number 1 export which is Abe Lincoln, every year we took another field trip to see where Abe lincoln did this, or saw that or wrote whatever, so after 21 years of hearing about the man, I kinda forget how big of a deal he is to the country and even abroad. I had no idea the outside world, especially Japan, admired the guy. It's hard to go through the "downtown" area without seeing a group of Asian tourists, apparently Lincoln is hugely admired and respected over there.. Never knew that until a couple weeks ago when a dude that works at one of the Lincoln museums downtown told me that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm 

That sounds annoying as all hell. Admittedly, as a recent transplant to the area I sometimes forget there's more to Illinois than Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I had no idea the outside world, especially Japan, admired the guy. It's hard to go through the "downtown" area without seeing a group of Asian tourists, apparently Lincoln is hugely admired and respected over there.

They probably just went there to laugh at his funny face.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:07 pm 

Nah he's totally right. One of the books I teach to my ESL students here in Korea had a section where they had to write about imaginary situations ("if I were X, I would do Y"). The example in the beginning of the unit had "If I were president, I would..." and a huge picture of Abe Lincoln, and literally all of my students (maybe 12 year old kids on average) recognized him immediately.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:42 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I'm not sure how well this'll tie into the "culture shock" idea but I live in Springfield illinois, which is the "land of lincoln". growing up you could barely get through a week without a teacher talking about our city's number 1 export which is Abe Lincoln, every year we took another field trip to see where Abe lincoln did this, or saw that or wrote whatever, so after 21 years of hearing about the man, I kinda forget how big of a deal he is to the country and even abroad. I had no idea the outside world, especially Japan, admired the guy. It's hard to go through the "downtown" area without seeing a group of Asian tourists, apparently Lincoln is hugely admired and respected over there.. Never knew that until a couple weeks ago when a dude that works at one of the Lincoln museums downtown told me that.

Springfield, Springfield, it's a hell of a town.....

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 am 

^indeed it is, and ironically enough, we also had a huge race riot in 1908 (I think?) which ended up being the reason why the NAACP was formed.
Parts of central and southern Illinois might as well be northwestern Kentucky. We always vote overwhelmingly pro-democrat in every election but that's in large due to Chicago and all those outlying cities that make up the bulk of our population. Down here it's all about Wrangler jeans, Timberland boots and the biggest truck your tiny penis can buy.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm 

Well, Lincoln is pretty symbolic. Hollywood made him a demigod.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 pm 

Lincoln was a pretty big deal before the film. If anything, the film made him more human and imperfect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:06 pm 

I don't think that movie really had much of an impact at all.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 pm 

I was just refuting that the film made him seem perfect.

Friaconte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 am 

I guess most of the cases here are about people going to a third world country or a poor region.

I happen to have experienced the exact opposite. I live in Brazil and had to opportunity to visit Europe for a month. I went to Austria, Wales and England and it was a very powerful conflict of realities.

First of all, the Brazilian society is a joke. Most probably know that BR is known for being one the most corrupt places on earth, but you can only grap the size of it if you actually spend a good time here. Things only work here if someone rich is getting richer, public transportation is a complete joke outside the central parts of the city I live (São Paulo), there's a great chance someone will try to make a fool out of you if you don't know who you're asking for information, I always hear people from other countries say that someone tried to trick them into paying more for a cab or things like that. It is putrid, to say the least.

My time spent in Europe was full of awe, everything seemed to work for the well being of the people. I remember walking around late at night with a friend and we would talk about how we would never be in the streets at that same time in Brazil, or how the public transportation is in Vienna (someone checks if you have a ticket). Of course not everything is perfect, Birmingham and London are like São Paulo, but you still feel safe wherever you go.

Another thing that impressed me is the silence, you'd hardly hear people talking loud in the subway or public places, unlike here, where people often yell at each other and talk so loud on the phone that makes you want to leave the place. People were always polite, no matter the situation which is something that does not happen here because we have the mentality that everybody is in our way and our time is more important than anything else. The cities were also very clean and it looked so normal to everyone else, when to me, it was like being in a different reality. Downtown São Paulo is one of the ugliest places I have been, streets are full of beggars, drunk people and junkies asking for money, streets are littered and all the buildings are covered with flyers or graffiti. Walking around Wales is the exact opposite, everything looked so clean and old buildings were also in very good shape.

Still, there are worse places than São Paulo, but it shows how far away we are from having a decent society. Imagine a place where people act like animals, where those who were supposed to take care of the population are more interested in making money. Being a politician is the best profession you can have here when it shouldn't even be a profession to begin with.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm 

While not directly related to the topic, this might be somewhat related to what some related in this thread:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20131 ... o-find-out
Basically, it shows you a random place in Google Street View (you are allowed to move around the camera) and you have to guess where is it. Some of you probably saw others incarnations of this game.

I basically thought an South African district looked like Syria and an Australian rural area looked like Canada.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm 

I had a little bit of culture shock visiting Korea's Independence Hall yesterday. Everyone knows how patriotic and jingoistic Americans are, but it absolutely pales in comparison to that museum. Huge amounts of Korean flags everywhere, tons of exhibits explaining Korea's superiority over everyone in the world in all kinds of aspects (did you know that Japan only had ironworking because Korea was kind enough to tell them about it?), whole wings dedicated to the National Hero who attempted an assassination on Japanese Emperor Hirohito, etc. Flag-waving and chanting and stuff I was used to, but seeing such militantly nationalist propaganda in person was something of an eye-opener for me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:51 pm 

Yeah, Korea likes to pretend they invented many of the things that are generally attributed to the Japanese. I'm sure the two countries influenced each others over the centuries for various aspects of their culture, but frankly, for the Korean side it often comes across as desperate and borderline comical.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:00 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I had a little bit of culture shock visiting Korea's Independence Hall yesterday. Everyone knows how patriotic and jingoistic Americans are, but it absolutely pales in comparison to that museum. Huge amounts of Korean flags everywhere, tons of exhibits explaining Korea's superiority over everyone in the world in all kinds of aspects (did you know that Japan only had ironworking because Korea was kind enough to tell them about it?), whole wings dedicated to the National Hero who attempted an assassination on Japanese Emperor Hirohito, etc. Flag-waving and chanting and stuff I was used to, but seeing such militantly nationalist propaganda in person was something of an eye-opener for me.

So, that constant joke I keep on making that South Korean is trying to be the Asian United States, is actually becoming more true than I thought...

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
All I meant to say was that the band's name doesn't sound ballsy enough for me to listen to it

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:09 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Not surprised. There's lots of bad blood between Asian nations, especially between Korea, Japan and China. And I've always heard stores about Korea and their patriotism. It's probably fairly similar in China as well.

Do you live in Korea? I'm guessing you're either an English teacher or a member of the armed forces? Because 99% of the Americans who live in South Korea are one of those things, just curious.

And do they really hate Japan as much as people say they do?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 am 

I'm an English teacher in Korea. And yes, they really do hate Japan that much.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Japanese products were banned there until a decade ago, weren't they? When you can't separate a country's politics from its products... I mean, K-pop is quite big all over Asia, including in Japan. I guess the Japanese don't care that much about Korea as a whole and see China as a bigger enemy and threat.

And people say that the "hatred" between, let's say, England and France is bad lol

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:40 am 

Festivus wrote:
Japanese products were banned there until a decade ago, weren't they? When you can't separate a country's politics from its products... I mean, K-pop is quite big all over Asia, including in Japan. I guess the Japanese don't care that much about Korea as a whole and see China as a bigger enemy and threat.

And people say that the "hatred" between, let's say, England and France is bad lol

Are you at all familiar with the actions of Japan in China and Korea before and during the second world war? Considering their actions, it's no wonder Japan is pretty reviled in both countries, but especially in South Korea since they have been more of an underdog in consideration to Japan afterwards. And well, there's also the fact that even today, the government of Japan hasn't fully condemned the people and their actions during said period in said countries.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Festivus wrote:

Are you at all familiar with the actions of Japan in China and Korea before and during the second world war? Considering their actions, it's no wonder Japan is pretty reviled in both countries, but especially in South Korea since they have been more of an underdog in consideration to Japan afterwards. And well, there's also the fact that even today, the government of Japan hasn't fully condemned the people and their actions during said period in said countries.

Of course I am. Hence why the "politics" and the "lots of bad blood between Asian nations" bits.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm just not sure it's really an accomplishment to NOT have to use a machine to go buy groceries if you didn't have some kind of medical condition or were too old beforehand.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who actually rids his Segway (very slowly and with many small changes in direction) in the supermarket. I have no idea what that's about. He's quite fit. I suspect he suffers from Lazy or No Segway Parking. Poor guy.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:54 am 

Festivus wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Japan and Korea had a long history of warfare in which Japan mopped the floor with Korea in pretty much every conflict. I suppose Japanese don't hate Korea anymore because they were always the victors; there's no inferiority complex or anything to be sore over for them.

From what I have heard from talking to Japanese people, they kind of look down their noses at Korea as a like a C-list knockoff of their culture, but I wouldn't quite call it hate. It's true, they are more concerned about China.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 am 

Ironic, because I good chunk of japanese culture comes directly from fleeing korean migrants after the Three Kingdoms unification wars.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:27 pm 

Today's bit of culture shock:

I went to the local watering hole, where I often go, with a friend/coworker. We get a couple of beers deep and that crazy Korean chick I mentioned elsewhere messages me wanting to hang out. She comes over, and, fancying herself a matchmaker, takes it upon herself to try to try to set my friend up with one of these two Korean girls who are drinking a few tables over. We go over to hang out with them and initially the conversation is us trying to communicate in broken Korean and them talking to us in much better (but still not great) English. Then, the conversation gets a little more complex, so we have the Korean friend of mine translate for us for a while. Eventually we get sidetracked, so my Korean friend, my coworker and I are all talking in English for a while, and one of the girls we were hanging out with says in Korean something that apparently translated as, "I feel like I'm in a dream, with all of this native English from Americans flying around."

Just kind of caught me off guard. I really am having trouble imagining a scenario where some average Americans would be sitting at a table in a bar, trying their best to communicate with some immigrants who don't really know much English at all, and who would then wistfully describe the atmosphere as dream-like. A bit surreal, really.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:43 pm 

Americans are special. We have that effect on people.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:36 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Americans are special. We have that effect on people.

Nah, it's just batman. He's so dreamy.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:41 am 

Alcohol is the answer.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:34 am 

Ok, I know one should avoid bumping old threads, but if a thread like this already exists, why create another one, right? I remembered this thread randomly today and decided to add more of my thoughts to it.

I mentioned in this thread that the differences I see among different European nations and people aren't as big as, let's say, the differences between India and Japan are. Although, to be fair, Europe is a fairly small continent compared to Asia and also to Africa and America. Hell, even Oceania since Australia is as big or almost as big as Europe.

Alas, from what I remember of my trips when I was a kid and from my personal anecdotal experiences dealing with other Europeans, the first thing I notice are certain societal differences between Scandinavia/Germany/Holland and Southern Europe. Their way of speaking, their gestures, their meal times, etc. are a tad different from ours. As is their fashion sense. They seem to ostentate much less and Scandinavians in particular don't seem to particularly care about driving shiny looking cars. Walk around Portugal and you'll see plenty of Mercedes and BMWs and people dressing up just to walk their dogs outside or to go to the mall.

I also notice it's mostly Americans, the English and Germans who perceive the French as rude. Well, I dunno, to me France doesn't seem very exotic despeite having a fairly distinctive character. Going into a store and greet the clerk/store owner with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" as soon as we make eye contact seems pretty normal to me. As it does to repeat that after I leave the store/restaurant. And I also don't get upset or impatient if the waiter or a server at a restaurant takes some time to acknowledge me.

Then there's also some differences that, despite minor, can be quite an annoyance. In Holland and Belgium supermarkets are closed on Sundays while here in Portugal they're open on Sundays and even holidays except for Christmas and New year's. Man imagine not being able to buy groceries on Sunday. Also, it seems in some countries you cannot buy spirits at your local supermarket. I have NEVER been to a "liquor store". I can buy any alcoholic beverage at any supermarket here.

And since this is a metal forum, I've noticed from various online conversations that Metal is sorta seen as "trashy" and a lower-middle class type of music for Americans in general. While here, at least in my country, I tend to associate that more with rap and reggae music. People who like metal here are usually more of an upper-middle class background and tend to have university degrees and be more knowledgeable about the world. Then again, this is purely anecdotal, I guess.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:26 pm 

Festivus wrote:
And since this is a metal forum, I've noticed from various online conversations that Metal is sorta seen as "trashy" and a lower-middle class type of music for Americans in general. While here, at least in my country, I tend to associate that more with rap and reggae music. People who like metal here are usually more of an upper-middle class background and tend to have university degrees and be more knowledgeable about the world. Then again, this is purely anecdotal, I guess.
I visited your country a few months ago (Lisbon), and was genuinely surprised at how many people wearing extreme metal t-shirts I saw walking around. I went to a store called Vinil Experience to look at records, and the shop owner was talking to me about metal, and sold me some metal from Portugal. That was a shock for me. In America, at least where I live, you almost never see people wearing metal shirts unless you're seeing a band play.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:11 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
Festivus wrote:
I visited your country a few months ago (Lisbon), and was genuinely surprised at how many people wearing extreme metal t-shirts I saw walking around. I went to a store called Vinil Experience to look at records, and the shop owner was talking to me about metal, and sold me some metal from Portugal. That was a shock for me. In America, at least where I live, you almost never see people wearing metal shirts unless you're seeing a band play.

Oh well I'm from Lisbon and I know several metalheads and people who like metal even if just the big American bands everyone likes such as Metallica and pantera and some Nu Metal bands. That being said, many people here like rap, reggae and rock. Tbh I don't really see that many people wearing extreme metal bands here. Yeah sure I'll see people wearing metal band t-shirts but wouldn't say "many". And it seems to mostly be the bigger ones. Then again I don't really keep track.

I guess you're from a smaller or more rural place in USA? I mean obvissuly in the capital city of a country you're more likely to see people into all sorts of sub-cultures. Maybe if you went to San Francisco(birth of thrash) you'd see many more open metalheads?

Chances are you might have seen me lol... well maybe not. I don't have any extreme metal bands shirts and hoodies now that I think about it haha. Regardless if you saw a guy wearing a Motörhead hoodie chances are it was me lol

That store's name sounds familiar. I think I've walked past it before.

What bands did he recommend you, by the way? I'm not really knowledgeable about my country's metal tbh.

A country where I saw several stores selling metal related stuff was Sweden... but I doubt this will surprise anyone.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next