Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 pm 

I didn't see anyone in a Motorhead hoodie, but I saw an older guy wearing a Lemmy tribute shirt. I also saw a guy in an Inquisition shirt, met a guy in a bar wearing a Napalm Death shirt, and a few others I can't remember. Plus, as you said, some nu metal as well, like Slipknot and I think a couple Pantera. That's not as uncommon over here. I live in Virginia Beach, which isn't very rural, but not a huge city like San Francisco is. But even my visits to New York City, I didn't really see many metal shirts.

Definitely stop by Vinil Experience when you have a chance. It's not very big, but they had some good stuff, and the guy was extremely friendly (as was just about everyone else I met during my 3 day visit). He played me two Portuguese records. One was from a stoner doom band called The Black Wizards. The other was from more of a blues artist, named Fast Eddie Nelson. I bought them both and think they're both absolutely fantastic. And speaking of music... I knew Moonspell was from Portugal, but I had no idea how big they were there. They had the band's items on display at the Hard Rock Cafe, and I saw a concert poster of theirs while driving down the highway! I don't really listen to Moonspell but I thought that was really neat.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 am 

The closest thing to culture shock I ever had was moving from a wealthy, white and English town to a comparatively poor, Welsh city. It wasn't the economy really as every town had its shit areas and my family had spent a few years in council housing.

It was the nationalism! Growing up in England we basically grew up accepting we were British, not English. The achievements of the Empire were British achievements and the little group of Islands we occupied (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh) were all little British bumbuddies who were a little different but fundamentally similar. Moving to Wales showed that the perceptions of those 'Celtic' peoples is very different. They are fractured, disparate and proud. They hate the English for historical wrongs permitted against them, pretty much stemming back over 1000 years to the conquest of the Anglo-Saxons. It seems remote but for the first time I encountered public sentiments, from British people, that were very anti-English and anti-Monarchy.

I knew those sentiments existed but I was fairly sure they were reserved for foreign enemies or labour unions, that sort of thing. To meet lovely, little old people who'd smile at you one minute and then quite happily condemn the English government for historical war crimes was a bit shocking. Not casting judgement here at all, the English have done some fairly shitty things in their existence as a Kingdom/Nation but it was eye opening to say the least.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 am 

^You live in the West Country, right? Is the attitude towards the central/east part of England also somewhat hostile? I think I got that sort of mood back when I visited Cornwall, but I can't tell for sure.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:08 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I didn't see anyone in a Motorhead hoodie, but I saw an older guy wearing a Lemmy tribute shirt. I also saw a guy in an Inquisition shirt, met a guy in a bar wearing a Napalm Death shirt, and a few others I can't remember. Plus, as you said, some nu metal as well, like Slipknot and I think a couple Pantera. That's not as uncommon over here. I live in Virginia Beach, which isn't very rural, but not a huge city like San Francisco is. But even my visits to New York City, I didn't really see many metal shirts.

Definitely stop by Vinil Experience when you have a chance. It's not very big, but they had some good stuff, and the guy was extremely friendly (as was just about everyone else I met during my 3 day visit). He played me two Portuguese records. One was from a stoner doom band called The Black Wizards. The other was from more of a blues artist, named Fast Eddie Nelson. I bought them both and think they're both absolutely fantastic. And speaking of music... I knew Moonspell was from Portugal, but I had no idea how big they were there. They had the band's items on display at the Hard Rock Cafe, and I saw a concert poster of theirs while driving down the highway! I don't really listen to Moonspell but I thought that was really neat.

Moonspell are liked even by some people who don't like metal at all, yes. I mean, we don't exactly have many artists making it abroad, so ofc Moonspell will stand out.

Haven't heard of Black Wizards and much less of Eddie Nelson.

I own no Lemmy tribute t-shirt but I do own a Pantera hoodie.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 am 

Festivus wrote:
Then there's also some differences that, despite minor, can be quite an annoyance. In Holland and Belgium supermarkets are closed on Sundays while here in Portugal they're open on Sundays and even holidays except for Christmas and New year's. Man imagine not being able to buy groceries on Sunday. Also, it seems in some countries you cannot buy spirits at your local supermarket. I have NEVER been to a "liquor store". I can buy any alcoholic beverage at any supermarket here.

just fyi, recently monst supermarktets are open on Sundays, it took a while and some parts Sunday is still that day, but now most of the time every it is open from early to late, also on most holidays.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:50 am 

Rompestromper wrote:
Festivus wrote:
Then there's also some differences that, despite minor, can be quite an annoyance. In Holland and Belgium supermarkets are closed on Sundays while here in Portugal they're open on Sundays and even holidays except for Christmas and New year's. Man imagine not being able to buy groceries on Sunday. Also, it seems in some countries you cannot buy spirits at your local supermarket. I have NEVER been to a "liquor store". I can buy any alcoholic beverage at any supermarket here.

just fyi, recently monst supermarktets are open on Sundays, it took a while and some parts Sunday is still that day, but now most of the time every it is open from early to late, also on most holidays.

Ah, cool.

Btw, a complain I often read/hear about Americans and Canadians who move to Europe are the lack of 24/7 open places such as convenience stores. We used to have Seven Eleven here a decade ago or so but I haven't seen one in years.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
^You live in the West Country, right? Is the attitude towards the central/east part of England also somewhat hostile? I think I got that sort of mood back when I visited Cornwall, but I can't tell for sure.

I live in Cheshire, which is in the west of England, on the borderlands of Wales which used to be called Mercia or the Welsh Marches.

As far as attitudes go they're pretty fine towards the rest of England in Cheshire. We sort of consider ourselves Northerners by proxy even though we're only just out of the midlands. I think the enmity you noticed in Cornwall towards the rest of England is actually the same 'Celtic' thing I mentioned in my post. The Cornish consider themselves one of the 'Celtic' nations along with the Welsh, Irish, Scots, Bretons, Manx etc. Their language is Brythonic instead of Germanic and the hostility they feel towards the English has pretty much the same root!

So I'm not surprised you noticed it although Cornish and Welsh nationalism is kind of small change compared to the historic enmity of the Scots and the Irish towards England. Cornwall and Wales were relatively quickly subdued by the English whereas the Scottish and the Irish fought back hard and retained a lot more of their independence and identity.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6