Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
As far as moms go, mine is hardcore Christian. So basically Christian music and bible sermons. I'll never forget the day I came home with Wages of Sin and she lost her shit.

The same goes for each member of my close family, except that all of us are metalheads :lol: :headbang: The grandparents are still not too fond of anything with a distorted guitar though, haha

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm 

I did nu metal. But I did it at the same time as stuff like Maiden, Therion, Slayer, CoF, etc.

As far as moms go, mine is hardcore Christian. So basically Christian music and bible sermons. I'll never forget the day I came home with Wages of Sin and she lost her shit.

I've been given a couple of weird looks from my neighbours when they first saw me wearing a Maiden Number of the Beast t-shirt.

My grandmother also didn't like my Megadeth and Maiden t-shirts much either. She found the "skulls" morbid.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 pm 

I mean, I'm the same age as Festivus, so I had a nu metal phase like every angry white kid. I liked all of them. Korn, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Staind especially, Static-X, Linkin Park, Disturbed, hell even some that I'm sure were relatively obscure like Lollipop Lust Kill and Dragpipe. I still listen to Rob Zombie and System of a Down to this day, dammit.

The only ones from that period of my life that I'm actually embarrassed about are Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock. Doesn't matter how young, angsty, or white I was back in 1999. There's no excuse for that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm 

I'm just going to derail this thread entirely because i have a suggestion of sorts. I just thought of a fun "game" for lack of a better term, that the people here on Metal Archives could play. Its essentially like this: We make our own version of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but instead of that, we do something similar, but make it exclusively metal. I haven't exactly worked out all the details of it yet, which is why i haven't made a thread. But, i think you should take all the sub genres of metal and nominate 5 or so bands for that year. Continue on next year, next year, etc. It sounds like a cool idea to myself, and i hope it sounds cool to other people as well, i figure, we all like metal to some capacity around here, so why not have some fun with it. i will have to sort out all the details, and if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to say so.

That is all.

Perhaps.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
I'm just going to derail this thread entirely because i have a suggestion of sorts. I just thought of a fun "game" for lack of a better term, that the people here on Metal Archives could play. Its essentially like this: We make our own version of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but instead of that, we do something similar, but make it exclusively metal. I haven't exactly worked out all the details of it yet, which is why i haven't made a thread. But, i think you should take all the sub genres of metal and nominate 5 or so bands for that year. Continue on next year, next year, etc. It sounds like a cool idea to myself, and i hope it sounds cool to other people as well, i figure, we all like metal to some capacity around here, so why not have some fun with it. i will have to sort out all the details, and if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to say so.

That is all.

Static X? Star A War was in SmackDown vs. Raw 2006. That song seemed so awesome when I was 15-16 years old.

Kid Rock? I like American Badass but probably more due to it sampling Sad But true. The lyrics are just...

EDIT: oops quoted wrong person

Last edited by Festivus on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:45 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:

That is all.

I considered doing something similar for my blog a year or so ago, enshrining five bands every year, but I decided against it when I realized that in order to keep it interesting I'd have to grandfather in like twenty five bands because any metal HoF that doesn't immediately include Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, etc is a sham and it just wasn't worth it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 pm 

I like nu-metal like every other young, suburban white kid in the late 90s/early 00s. Shit, I went as Fred Durst for Halloween in like second grade. But I didn't start to get into heavy metal properly until like 2007. At that point, I got really into that myspace/white belt "grindcore" like See You Next Tuesday and all that.

Either way, my gateway was false as hell.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:03 pm 

I still love the first two Static X albums. Fuck everyone who's shits on them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm 

If there's anything the world needs less of, it's fellating the same couple bands who are the most famous/successful and rehashing it in a different form of list every year.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:02 pm 

I still love the first two Static X albums. Fuck everyone who's shits on them.

Bought em both when they first came out.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 pm 

theposega wrote:
Either way, my gateway was false as hell.

Heh. Falsegate sounds like some future M-A drama scandal. "White belt grindcore." most lol.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 am 

Shit this makes me feel old. By the time that phase rolled around I had my first degree, had moved from Thrash to Grind/Death to Black Metal to listening to a lot of industrial and neofolk stuff. So grown men jumping around in those questionable pants with the zippers and shit on was absolutely laughable. But then that was the height of my Boyd Rice/Death in June/Der Blutharsch uniform fetish phase, so I shouldnt laugh too hard!

The idea that someones parents could have been into metal is kinda odd too now I think about it. My folks are in their 70s and I think the most recent album I can recall them buying was Paul Simons Graceland in the mid 80s.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 am 

I never did the nu-metal stuff. My first metal love was Savatage. The only early exposure I really can remember having is one of my friends in middle school casually mention that "most metal sucks, but nu-metal is okay." Thankfully they changed that opinion later.

Obey the dolphin!

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 am 

A quick question I don't really know where else to post... what's a good starting point with Rotting Christ? An album or two. Their music always somehow eluded me and I've never caught them live, but they are playing my city in 2 months and I wanna go there at least a bit prepared.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:11 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
A quick question I don't really know where else to post... what's a good starting point with Rotting Christ? An album or two. Their music always somehow eluded me and I've never caught them live, but they are playing my city in 2 months and I wanna go there at least a bit prepared.

Everyone's going to say Thy Mighty Contract so maybe start there. From A Dead Poem they start getting a little more gothic, so maybe try that one, too. Sanctus Diavolos is a good mid-career album (although I like them all), Theogonia is also a popular one. Aealo sees them start evolving into what they are now, and their latest two cement it. Listen to Rituals, too, since that's their latest one and they're likely to play a few from it. I hope anything I wrote made sense and that you enjoy the show.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:23 am 

Don't forget Non Servium!! That's another great notch in their belt.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:54 am 

Festivus wrote:
How many people here are willing to admit that they used to listen to Linkin Park and Papa Roach back in 9th-10th grade?

When I was 10 or 11, I listened to Rage Against the Machine, and when I heard stuff from Linkin Park's first album, I was blown away by how awesome it was. I bought Meteora when it came out (I was 12), and it was a huge disappointment. :lol:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:24 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
I'm *ALREADY* away from her! Like, eight countries away!

How do I find her on fb?

Not to raise any unnecessary alarm, but if Opsius waxes his mustache and drinks from two bottles of Sol simultaneously while wearing his sexy sombrero in the pic he's going to post, he's likely going to be someone's new stepdad within weeks...

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:58 am 

I still love the first two Static X albums.

How embarrassing!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm 

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that still jumps da fuck up to nu metal. :D

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
I still love the first two Static X albums.

How embarrassing!

Not at all, those are solid albums.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

It's definitely a stain on my music taste, but I still enjoy the first three Limp Bizkit albums, especially the first two. I basically never spin them, but still. They're kind of ingrained in the culture of my city, as they originate from the very same side of town I live. :ugh: :lol:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 pm 

I still remember visiting my friend's house in 5th grade, his high school sister was frequently blasting LB in her room and for a while I was afraid of how "angry" it sounded. :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:30 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It's definitely a stain on my music taste

Eh, I don't think anything is necessarily a stain on music taste. Like what you like, etc.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I still remember visiting my friend's house in 5th grade, his high school sister was frequently blasting LB in her room and for a while I was afraid of how "angry" it sounded. :lol:

Ha, that's exactly how I was exposed to more aggressive music. Our close family friends' daughter (sister's best friend at the time) was into pop punk and nu metal and sort of got us all into that music. I thought that stuff was weird and edgy. I used to really like Hybrid Theory, and still do to a certain degree.

Empyreal wrote:
stainedclass2112 wrote:
It's definitely a stain on my music taste

Eh, I don't think anything is necessarily a stain on music taste. Like what you like, etc.

Yeah, even I think some nu metal is alright! I enjoy it from time to time just for the nostalgic feeling it gives me. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Last edited by Master_Of_Thrash on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm 

True, and that's a good way to look at it.

Hybrid Theory has "One Step Closer" right? I still actually like that song a lot :lol:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:50 pm 

Yeah, that's it. "One Step Closer" is my favourite from that album, too.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:56 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It's definitely a stain on my music taste, but I still enjoy the first three Limp Bizkit albums, especially the first two. I basically never spin them, but still. They're kind of ingrained in the culture of my city, as they originate from the very same side of town I live. :ugh: :lol:

I have no shame admitting I like a few Limp Bizkit songs.

Finding music "scary"? Not really but Thriller's videoclip scared me when I was a kid and I found Marilyn Manson really weird in the same sense that I found Him from Powerpuff Girls weird as well.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:02 pm 

Linkin Park are a serviceable pop group, and that's something that took me longer than it should've to come to terms with. Chalk it up to "death to false metal" bravado.

I was starting high school when Hybrid Theory took off and in my last year(s) when Meteora came out, but I jumped (da fuk up) off the nu-metal wagon right when they were taking off. 8th grade was when Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne, and Godsmack were godly to me, and it's the summer between that I delved into Slayer, Nile, and Skinless, so I just missed that wave.

I still listen to a few Static-X and Sevendust songs here and there (it's hard not to feel nostalgic for "Push It," "Bled for Days," and "Love Dump" with the former, or "Bitch" and "Black" with the latter), but that's about it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm 

There was once a point in my life where "Bodies" by Drowning Pool was my favourite song ever. It just sounded so badass to my 15-16 year old self. Same for the song "Sinner" to some degree.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:07 pm 

Bodies is a totally awesome song. I really like Psychostick's (I'm a big Psychostick fan anyway, haha) cover, called "Numbers". :lol:

Is Disturbed considered nu-metal? I think Disturbed is actually really great for what they are, but I have not really heard the metalhead opinion™ on them.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:09 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Bodies is a totally awesome song. I really like Psychostick's (I'm a huuuge Psychostick fan anyway, haha) cover, called "Numbers". :lol:

Is Disturbed considered nu-metal? I think Disturbed is actually really great for what they are, but I have not really heard the metalhead opinion™ on them.

Oh it definitely is a pretty ass kicking song still.

Yes, Disturbed are nu-metal. I don't really care for them much. Always preferred Drowning Pool and Saliva.

Man Nu metal was all over WWE in 2002-2006.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm 

I used to think "Bodies" was the heaviest shit ever when it used to be used in YouTube videos. Holy fuck, as soon as the initial screen comes on, I'd click on something else. :lol:

Last edited by Master_Of_Thrash on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I used to think "Bodies" was the heaviest shit ever when it used to be used in YouTube videos. Holy fuck, as soon as the initial screen comes on, I'd click on something else. :lol;

Yep. Any video with that song in had a lot of views back in 2006-2007. Not just the videoclip itself but also if it was used for AMVs and wrestling videos.

Speaking of AMVs, they mostly had Linkin Park songs.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm 

The only Disturbed songs I ever liked were 'Decadence' (it was Need For Speed Most Wanted) and 'Indestructible' (because it's super anthemic, powerful stuff)... not really much else though. As a kid I thought they were one of the heaviest bands ever, too heavy for me usually :lol:

Trivia - Disturbed's earliest incarnation under the name Brawl is in fact on the archives.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

I wonder when did Nu Metal start getting a lot of flack from metalheads. I mean nu metal was a gateway drug into "real" metal for many metalheads born in the 80s and 90s. Remember that the 90s were those years post the "metal boom" with Metallica having "sold out", the biggest thrash bands losing quality, Maiden and Priest also being past their prime already, etc. ofc you had some European scenes growing, but as far as mainstream stuff was for people to get into a genre(remember the internet was not as easily accessible as it is nowadays) what other choice did they have other than listen to Pantera, Slipknot, Disturbed, Korn, etc?

Btw, many people have no idea that Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park are considered nu metal. Those bands were usually bigger with people who usually don't like metal much. Same for RATM.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:23 pm 

Yeah, I remember watching WWE compilation videos with "Bodies" being the song playing. Those were the days when WWE was worth watching.

"Decadence" is also the only song I like from Disturbed. I've always hated David Draiman's OOH-WAH-AH-AH-AH's.

Speaking of which, I still need to finish Need For Speed Most Wanted.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Yeah, I remember watching WWE compilation videos with "Bodies" being the song playing. Those were the days when WWE was worth watching.

"Decadence" is also the only song I like from Disturbed. I've always hated David Draiman's OOH-WAH-AH-AH-AH's.

Speaking of which, I still need to finish Need For Speed Most Wanted.

Funny you say that because even back then many people were saying "WWE sucks nowadays. Fuck Cena and Batista!" :lol:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm 

That's true, but I was like 10 years old in 2006, so I was pretty young and naïve. I think that was the last truly great year for WWE. I never had the channels that aired WWE, so my only source was YouTube, and I can definitely say that the Attitude Era and the early to mid 2000's are my favourite times.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:48 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
That's true, but I was like 10 years old in 2006, so I was pretty young and naïve. I think that was the last truly great year for WWE. I never had the channels that aired WWE, so my only source was YouTube, and I can definitely say that the Attitude Era and the early to mid 2000's are my favourite times.

2006 actually felt like WWE was trying to recreate the AE spark, with the McMahons being regular on-screen characters again, DX reforming, ECW's return as a brand, etc. Then one year later Benoit does... that thing and WWE eventually goes back to being family friendly like it was in the 80s and until the mid-late 90s.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692 ... 694  Next