Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:55 pm 

I've never cared very much about politics but unless you're living under a rock, it's pretty hard to ignore all of the crazy shit that's happening in the 2016 presidential race. It seems like other metalheads and metal bands are chiming in with their opinions. For instance I just found out today about these hilarious shirts:

I've seen a few more but these are the most hilarious by far. People from metal bands are even taking a stance on the election such as:

Randy Blythe: http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/lamb-of-gods-randall-blythe-vows-to-leave-the-u-s-if-trump-becomes-president

Corey Taylor: http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/corey-taylor-cant-believe-trump-is-a-presidential-candidate-contemplates-moving-out-of-u-s

GHOST: http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/ghost-endorse-bernie-sanders-over-donald-trump

Scott Ian: http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/anthraxs-scott-ian-backs-bernie-sanders-thinks-donald-trump-is-a-joke

As well as several others. I guess my question is, as metalheads, should we even give a fuck about politics? And should bands engage in these endorsements and propaganda that we're seeing?
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:01 pm 

I'm pretty sure I'm not oppressed for liking metal, so no I don't really think there's a reason why we should care "as metalheads" as politics. Individually? Of course. Or if you are a part of some other group that would benefit from a policy change.

Bands can, of course, take whatever stances they like politically. That's been a thing in music since like forever.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:12 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm not oppressed for liking metal, so no I don't really think there's a reason why we should care "as metalheads" as politics. Individually? Of course. Or if you are a part of some other group that would benefit from a policy change.

Bands can, of course, take whatever stances they like politically. That's been a thing in music since like forever.

Yeah I know that politics has always been a common theme in rock/punk/metal but I guess what I find so intriguing is that these bands are actively making imagery that is either endorsing or chastising the candidates. Those shirts are essentially political cartoons.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:17 pm 

This is one of the more controversial elections in a while, so it's not really so surprising. In the 80s, everyone shat on Reagan left and right. And hell from a pure marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:02 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:

Yep, this.

Plus, I bet that anti-Trump t-shirt is gonna sell like hot cakes.

I see a lot of hatred for Trump but he appears to be quite popular according to the polls. So maybe his detractors are just more vocal or many supporters of him remain silent due to fear of being labelled as bigots.

And, let's face it, would it really make much of a difference if Trump ever got into office? it's not like he'd become undisputed God Emperor of the US of A. He'd have a senate and congress to deal with who'd most likely give him the thumbs down if he tried to do something crazy. As for his foreign policy, he'd probably start a new war somewhere... just like every American President in the past 60-70 years. So...

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:16 pm 

Why do mainstream-alternative musicians take it upon themselves to become political pundits? Whether you're on the left or the right, surely there's more interesting political commentators than Corey Taylor and Ted Nugent.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm 

Yeah, that's the news media's fault though, if they treat Corey Taylor like some kind of authority and write stories about it. Like Dudemanguy said, bands can say whatever they want at shows or on social media, though.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:29 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Spoiler: show

Is that Bernie Sanders on the tank? Cringeworthy. The MW is a good one if you share the view sponsored on it, but this one is retarded. Mockery and satire are good, partisanship belongs on the twitter feed of braindead retards.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:33 pm 

^He's firing at Hillary Clinton. It's not blind partisanship at all, and they obviously support Bernie.

CardsOfWar wrote:
Why do mainstream-alternative musicians take it upon themselves to become political pundits?

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
This is one of the more controversial elections in a while, so it's not really so surprising. In the 80s, everyone shat on Reagan left and right. And hell from a pure marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense.

A valid point. I would never wear either of these shirts (even though I like both of the bands) but when I saw the one of Trump blowing his brains out I thought, "Not only is that fucking brutal, it should happen in real life." And then I saw the one of Bernie Sanders smoking a huge joint and running over (most) of the douchey candidates in a tank I thought: "Yes, this also needs to happen." Haha

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 pm 

That All Shall Perish one is gonna be dated in like two weeks when El Jebbe drops out.

As far as musicians having political thoughts: they're people. People have opinions. Playing in a band doesn't somehow make them less qualified than any other random asshole. And yeah, it's totally not up to them when Blabbermouth writes an article about their views.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizeroftheShadows wrote:
I guess my question is, as metalheads, should we even give a fuck about politics?

I think a better question is "should we as metalheads give a fuck about musicians' political views?" And the answer for me is a big fat no. Ideology is at most a tangential factor in my enjoyment of music/respect for a band. As for your original question, yeah, why not? People can have multiple interests.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:56 pm 

All of it is topical, obviously. I think the press and urgency of this election, which comes at a strange time in American history with all the political division and discord, seep into a lot of things, and it's really not surprising that bands are doing shirts or whatever to convey their stance. Really, it's no different from the average joe writing on his Facebook about Trump or an artist drawing a picture of Bernie Sanders powerbombing Jeb through a table.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:51 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
...or an artist drawing a picture of Bernie Sanders powerbombing Jeb through a table.

Please tell me this is a thing. Please god tell me this is real.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:07 pm 

It can be. It should be. Well, maybe not a powerbomb. Bernie seems more like a Kudo Driver kind of guy.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:27 pm 

I found this interview with Tony Foresta of Municipal Waste about the shirt:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/municipal-waste-donald-trump-shirt

Pretty interesting, and it's funny how he brings up the fact that people are making a big deal about this despite their past imagery and lyrics.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:13 pm 

Yeah, I also found it amusing that some people got up in a tiff about the shirt given the whole history of Municipal Waste and really metal in general being offensive. Though to be fair the article pointed out that those types were a relatively small minority.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:26 pm 

Somebody should make a shirt of Trump reading the Communist Manifesto. Marx would probably be proud. And so would Lenin, of course.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:32 am 

Yeah, I had to cave in and buy one of those Trump suicide shirts. I don't even really care that much about the fella (as long as he doesn't actually fucking win), but the shock value is priceless. It was on like a 3 week back order when I ordered mine yesterday, so if you're thinking of making some post-christmas impulse buys, that might be the one to go with.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:23 am 

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but I wouldn't wear that. It's pretty distasteful and isn't going to make people like Trump less. And what's a 'wall of death'?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:39 am 

If I was still in college and around people my age more I totally would buy one. But yeah, as great as it is I really don't need that covering my tits when I go to buy cereal and beer or whatever. Also the back print is godfuckingawful.

Wall of death is a some mosh thing, btw.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:07 am 

Expedience wrote:
I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but I wouldn't wear that. It's pretty distasteful and isn't going to make people like Trump less.

"Distasteful" is subjective Tipper gore, don't tell me what to wear!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:26 pm 

I bet wearing actual Trump campaign shirts or hats would upset way more people if that's what you're going for.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 pm 

The metalhead in me doesn't give a crap about politics, but the citizen in me does care about who runs this country.
I'm sick of some metal musicians grandstanding about politics (I'm thinking in particular about Dave Mustaine, who incidently seems like a typical Trump supporter.)
That said, I agree with the sentiments of those T-shirts, but I probably wouldn't wear either one, and I don't care for either band.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:21 pm 

The idea of a metal musician supporting Trump is fucking ridiculous, given that a big part of the reason metal was such a hit in the 80s was all the anti-Reagan sentiment floating around. I don't much like the idea of metal bands supporting candidates, but I 100% support metal bands being against them.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:53 pm 

Wouldn't wear a t-shirt like that because it's in poor taste and I don'r feel comfortable wearing something that depicts an actual person dying. Even if Trump is a douche, I don't want the dude to off himself.

Another t-shirt I'd never wear, despite finding it funny, is that Craddle of Filth "Jesus is a Cunt" t-shirt.

Also, aren't Municipal Waste taking a big risk with this? I mean someone as powerful as Trump could easily sue them, couldn't he?

failsafeman wrote:
The idea of a metal musician supporting Trump is fucking ridiculous, given that a big part of the reason metal was such a hit in the 80s was all the anti-Reagan sentiment floating around. I don't much like the idea of metal bands supporting candidates, but I 100% support metal bands being against them.

They can support whoever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with their music. Dave Mustaine can say in interviews whatever he wants about any political candidate and finance their campaign out of hsi own pocket if he wants to. If he starts rallying for support of people and ideologies I don't agree with in his songs, then I'll just stop listening to his stuff bearing such content.

Metal was fueled by anti-Reagan sentiment? Tell me more about it. I'm always willing to learn more about metal and musical history as whole.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:21 pm 

Metal and politics don't mix!

Now excuse me while I sing the 1970 classic War Pigs...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:42 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Metal was fueled by anti-Reagan sentiment? Tell me more about it. I'm always willing to learn more about metal and musical history as whole.

It was just a time when the conservative baby boomers essentially ran the country, instituted "Reaganomics", and were enacting a lot of other conservative policies. It's like how Thatcher galvanized a lot of punk and metal over in the UK.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:48 pm 

If I recall that was also the period in time when the Republican party started really heavily, publicly catering to the Christian right, which was obviously something people reacted to, and which Satan needed to make war against via long-haired teenagers.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:07 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I mean someone as powerful as Trump could easily sue them, couldn't he?

I could be wrong, but I think this falls under the same reason tabloids get to make up shit about Megan Fox birthing reptilian half-breeds or whatever. They're public figures. Trump especially has forced himself out there. It'd be entirely different if it was a picture of some random private citizen.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 pm 

Well it's also because it's not actually a photograph of him. It's an artist drawing of Trump, I'm pretty sure that makes a difference.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:52 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
If I recall that was also the period in time when the Republican party started really heavily, publicly catering to the Christian right, which was obviously something people reacted to, and which Satan needed to make war against via long-haired teenagers.

But the Christian Right was already big before Reagan, right? And before the Republican party began catering to them, who used to do it? The Democrats? After all, they were once the more conservative party, but they seem to have switched sides after the civil rights movement. I recall reading about that some years ago.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:07 pm 

Probably best just to read about it – the History section in this Wiki article on the Christian right has more on the topic than I can offer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:17 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Well it's also because it's not actually a photograph of him. It's an artist drawing of Trump, I'm pretty sure that makes a difference.
not to mention, its all shall perish and municipal waste. MW hasn't been a thought in my mind since I was 19, and All shall perish is.....deathcore. My point being both shirts will probably go undetected by the entire trump candidacy.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:30 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
Erosion of Humanity wrote:
not to mention, its all shall perish and municipal waste. MW hasn't been a thought in my mind since I was 19, and All shall perish is.....deathcore. My point being both shirts will probably go undetected by the entire trump candidacy.

Besides, if they called them out for it... no such thing as bad publicity as they say.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:50 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Wasn't Tipper Gore leading the PMRC and effectively the one who spearheaded that whole movement? And wasn't Al Gore a Democrat?
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm 

Tipper Gore wasn't leading the Christian right, and she doesn't have anything to do with Republicans being aligned with the Christian right in the '80s. Just read the Wiki page.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm 

I did read it, and I'm not denying that the Christian right are a bunch of retards, or how awful most of this year's batch of Republicans are. But as far as going after metalheads in the 80's, Tipper Gore arguably did more for that than Reagan or anyone in the GOP, so painting it as purely an issue among Republicans is a bit disingenuous.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 pm 

No one was painting it that way, nor was anyone talking about the Christian right "going after metalheads" in the '80s. I believe you misinterpreted.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:55 pm 

I mean theres this facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/BernieThePatrician/?fref=ts

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next