* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:10 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Glenn Benton. Hear me out, I know he hasn't produced a decent album since Stench... maybe it's the curmudgeon in me saying this but there's a certain Nick Nolte-esque charm to a 40 something year old man who's just always got a problem up his ass that I kinda respect. Deicide may never put out a good album again, but I kinda wanna see a 60 year old Benton just on stage at some shitty dive bar and realize there's gonna be a point in the show where he's just "had it" with some minor problem, will stop the entire show and just bitch at whoever will listen to his Ebeneezer Scrooge rant. It's probably just me, but there's a certain level of respect I have for that kind of petty anger that the dude seems to have.

In the minds of evil was good to me, but judging from his last interviews before it came out, he seemed fine. He sounded a lot more enthused, like before Stench came out, cause all of them contributed. However, it did annoy me how he said that the lyrics were brutal and he wasn't holding anything back, when they were the same thing he's been doing.

As for the topic, mine is Mortician. Being a big horror fan and a huge fan of Wes Benscoter helps too.

huh, guess he had a change of heart or something, because the last time I saw him he yelled at me and a really drunk friend of mine who barely remembered said screaming match. I think it was the last gig they did for that weird like second tour they did for To Hell With God and from what I remember hearing him say, he really sounded like he was about done with death metal- could have just had a really shitty tour though too.. god that place sucked. I'd have been a total grump too if I had to drive my established death metal act around the midwest in an oversized people-mover van

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:16 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
hots_towel wrote:
nearly everything on modern rock radio. and i guess a better term would have been hipster rock, or hipster music in general. I used to work with a guy who played that trash all the time (though he was a really cool guy, i just hated his music). bands like silversun pickups, starfucker, los campesinos, atlas, that band that was in one of the samsung commercials. i know this will probably be met with "those arent hipster alt/indie rock bands" but regardless of what you label them, i cant stand that noise or just about anything like it

Though I can't name a single song from any of the artists you listed, or even say I know I've heard them before, your description gave me a pretty good understanding of just what kind of music you're talking about... Well, I'll tell you this: I don't care what you call it, because I don't like it either.

It's not just the sound of it I hate, though. It's the cultural aspect that I find truly pathetic. What you've described to me is that shitty sunshine music for all the well-to-do, self-pitying and "nostalgic" yuppies of my generation. The ones who just wish it could be "summer 4 ever" after finding out how unsatisfied and empty they feel with being cool and slumming in the big city for a living, because "it was better" (easier, and less meaningless) for them to play the part of their parents' whiny pet poodles. It's just a lot of misplaced sappiness and nostalgic longing suited only for spoiled brats. Gross.

Jesus Christ, am I ever bitter! But that is the way I feel about it.
thats more or less exactly what this junk is.

now personally, im from CA, so it's summer 8 months out of the year anyways. i think summer can go sit on a nail.

and yes, that entire scene of music is something i generally avoid as well. i picture the target audience college aged social/arts majors who do their homework at starbucks. to some degree, i can relate to teh Jeff Hanneman said when it comes to music.

"I hate happy music. I hate music where all they sing about is good things, like love and optimism."

im really not a generally angry person (not anymore at least), but that statement hits the alt/indie beatles wanna bands directly

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:32 am 

I DJ for an entertainment company. We do parties, weddings, birthdays, all that stuff. With that comes a very wide music pallet,which is necessary to the job, as not every customer is going to share my love of subs-shattering sludge metal. With that in mind, I have to say Lil Wayne is my guilty pleasure. Even from a hip hop fan standpoint, I know that Lil Wayne is everything I hate about over-produced, lyrically devoid, chart-pandering garbage. But it's just so damn catchy.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:46 am 

Diamhea wrote:
CKY

Absolutely. I was huge into these guys in highschool. They are actually quite catchy for a "heavier" rock band. And yes, Daren's (Daron? Darin?) riffing style was great. Songs like Shippensburg and Disengage the Simulator were probably my favourite. Their vocal melodies always had a sad nostalgia to them, which I always appreciated. I kind of "fell out" of love with them when I got out of highschool and started exploring metal, but I actually went back and listened to some of their stuff and it's held up surprisingly well, unlike some of the other stuff I listened to back in the day.

Someone mentioned Katy Perry before, and I have to say as far as your run of the mill pop star goes, she's probably my favourite. Just catchy and fun. Nothing I'd listen to on my own, but it's good party music.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:23 pm 

In no way a guilty pleasure, because she's obviously a great musician....but I find myself a little surprised that I'm enjoying Kate Bush now, because the first few times I tried to listen to her music all I could think was "fucking hell, that voice, make it stop!" But, well, somehow I got used to it and it has a certain charm, though I'm still more comfortable when she doesn't get too high and keening....

Interesting seeing all the hip-hop references in this thread. I first discovered this music in the 80s when I was very, very young; you could say it was my first form of musical rebellion. But, well, I haven't listened since I tore up all my tapes in a fit of rage some point at the turn of the 90s and I don't think I ever will again. since getting deeper into old funk/soul i just don't feel there's a point anymore, and although I realise the two styles don't necessarily scratch the same itch, rapping is probably something I'll never enjoy or comprehend.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm 

am I the only one who finds there're more 'guilty displeasures' than guilty pleasures -- there are artists you're disdained for failing to enjoy, so you hide that fact as though it's shameful, as though thinking 'this band sounds good' was somehow the same as realizing two and two are four, and failing to see it made you worthy of ridicule.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:19 am 

No such thing as a guilty pleasure for me. I listen to what I like. Taking the OP as asking what generally despised (by, I dunno, some uninformed stereotype of a teenage thrash metal fan on a lot of protein supplements? A black metal fan as understood by someone who has only seen memes of such?) songs or artists I enjoy, one of my longest running obsessions is Cypress Hill. And everything related to 'em, so the DJ Muggs "Vs." series has been a treat, particularly the first three. Those then got me onto Sick Jacken's more recent stuff as had only heard Psycho Realm before, as well as Ill Bill and La Coka Nostra. Not to mention fits in nicely with a liking for Wu-Tang (Muggs did an excellent, really legitimately old school sounding hip hop album with GZA), though I've never followed them as closely as Cypress. Apart from that, a lot of stuff by Nas, B.I.G. ("who the fuck is this, paging me at 5:46 in the morning?"), Dre and so on, love the old, dusty 12" hip hop sound.

Unrelated to the old school sound, Sadistik is a good rapper, with some mind-bending lyrics and tongue-twisters, especially gratifying when experienced alongside the awesome production he seems to find for himself - Kid Called Computer's dark but jazzy ambience and shuffling beats, or the sample of the amazing Amelie OST in 'November'. What else. Love a bit of Katie Melua and Norah Jones, definitely.

For stuff that's really out there, 'Chewy, Chewy' by the Ohio Express! Heard it on Futurama. Also the dubstep album by Korn. About anything from a soundtrack to a Hayao Miyazaki film, especially My Neighbour Totoro. And I recently came across this song 'The Funeral' by Band of Horses when watching How I Met Your Mother, and it's a great track that really complements the first reveal of that iconic scene with the yellow umbrella and train station in the pouring rain.

EDIT: Didn't realize the thread had been left alone for so long. Tits.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2