Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:13 pm 

With just over a week to go I thought it might be a good idea to start an Olympics thread, especially now that athletes and media are starting to arrive in Rio and finding out about the condition of their facilities.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming Olympics? Any plans to watch it? Are you boycotting it?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm 

I'll probably watch fencing now that NBC is streaming it (Fun fact, a few years ago in a college tournament I was up against one of the guys now on the USA team, he beat the ever-loving snot out of me.) Anything else I'll watch if it's on at a bar or something but nothing I'll go out of my way for.

I remember some parts of the 2012 opening ceremony were pretty weird/bad and I had a fun time making fun of them with my British friend in a bar at the time, maybe something like that will happen again.

But yeah all the shitty (hah) facilities are something else, sounds like this is even worse than Sochi.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:20 pm 

I don't rally care for the summer games much but I may watch some of the water sports to see if a swimmer starts puking or pulls up to wipe a floating turd off their face. Hopefully it goes well but Brazil probably shouldn't have gotten this, it could spend its money much better than on this fiasco.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 pm 

In honor of the new Olympics, let's remember the wonderful hotel conditions of the Sochi Olympics two-and-a-half years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... periences/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 am 

Derigin wrote:
With just over a week to go I thought it might be a good idea to start an Olympics thread, especially now that athletes and media are starting to arrive in Rio and finding out about the condition of their facilities.

Yeah, this has been on the news here obviously. I think it's a bit of a blow-up, though - more Australians are arriving and most are saying that as long as it has a bed and some modicum of a shower, they're going to be okay.

I don't mind the Olympic games because I get to watch sports I wouldn't watch otherwise. Unfortunately Rio is in a bad time zone for us (what isn't?) so I won't get to watch much of it. Plus with uni and work commitments it'll be far less likely I'll watch a lot of it. I'll try to watch what I can. :)

I hope Australia gets a decent medal tally. Apparently we did quite poorly in London so here's a good chance to redeem ourselves.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 am 

I tend to go through the same cycle every year where at the start of the olympics I hate it and hope it crashes and burns, and by the end of it I'm madly rooting for oz. Think we'll do fairly well as per usual. There's a half decent chance that it actually will crash and burn this year.. well, here's hoping. It is a pretty indulgent and wanky deal, and most of the sports are rather boring.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:27 pm 

I guess I'll pay attention to the football tournament. As for my country, we'll at most win two or three medals, as always.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:07 pm 

Derigin wrote:

Quote:
Kitty Chiller, the head of the Australian delegation, said in a statement Sunday that team members “will not move into our allocated building” at the Athletes Village. She gave no hint of when they might.

Quote:
Kitty Chiller, the head of the Australian delegation

Quote:
Kitty Chiller

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:10 pm 

Man, all their towns and villages have names like Bangakangaroo or whatever, nothing should surprise you anymore.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Derigin wrote:

Yeah, this has been on the news here obviously. I think it's a bit of a blow-up, though - more Australians are arriving and most are saying that as long as it has a bed and some modicum of a shower, they're going to be okay.

I don't mind the Olympic games because I get to watch sports I wouldn't watch otherwise. Unfortunately Rio is in a bad time zone for us (what isn't?) so I won't get to watch much of it. Plus with uni and work commitments it'll be far less likely I'll watch a lot of it. I'll try to watch what I can. :)

I hope Australia gets a decent medal tally. Apparently we did quite poorly in London so here's a good chance to redeem ourselves.

For me its a Little better time zone but I wont have so much time either.

I was not a Madrid 2016 supporter but I am sure that the facilities in Spain would have been much better.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:48 am 

Unity wrote:
I guess I'll pay attention to the football tournament.

I'd prefer it if football was removed from the Olympics. Some weird U-23 tournament with a few above that age, different coaches than for those countries real teams, alot of players who get asked turn it down or their clubs stops them from participating. Not to mention that some countries, like the UK, don't even exist in the regular football world but are usually split into England, Wales, and so on, but have a unified team in the Olympics.

I believe quite few people interested in football even remember winners of the Olympic football tournament from various years.

The Olympics should be about the best athletes in the various sports competing and being highly motivated to be there. So when football becomes some pointless thing of players who are regularly not even close to being in their national team, just remove it.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:15 am 

Dembo wrote:
Unity wrote:
I guess I'll pay attention to the football tournament.

I'd prefer it if football was removed from the Olympics. Some weird U-23 tournament with a few above that age, different coaches than for those countries real teams, alot of players who get asked turn it down or their clubs stops them from participating. Not to mention that some countries, like the UK, don't even exist in the regular football world but are usually split into England, Wales, and so on, but have a unified team in the Olympics.

I believe quite few people interested in football even remember winners of the Olympic football tournament from various years.

The Olympics should be about the best athletes in the various sports competing and being highly motivated to be there. So when football becomes some pointless thing of players who are regularly not even close to being in their national team, just remove it.

I really get your point, but still as a football fan it can be enjoyable for what it is. ;)

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:05 am 

Apart from what's already been discussed, there's also some talk about how having so many visitors to the area from so many countries can be the perfect way to disseminate the Zika virus across the globe. Granted that a lot of factors have to fall into place for any real reservoir of infection to be established anywhere else, but I wonder if individual cases will crop up here and there in the time period after the whole Olympics ends and the visitors return to their home countries.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 am 

Another article about the 'shitty' conditions. This reminds me more and more of the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games more and more.

As far as watching the Olympics, I am guilty of enjoying it. Other than Turin, I've been watching each one since Lillehammer 1994. I don't really care for the team sports too much, but I do enjoy watching the weightlifting, wrestling, and diving. They're all activities I've done before, so that adds to my enjoyment of them. I'll probably catch the rugby, just because it's also a sport I enjoy personally and it's new to the Olympics. Beyond that I'll probably catch the gymnastics, some athletics, canoeing and rowing. Oh, and the Opening Ceremony is usually entertaining, too. Though none of them recently compare to Beijing's in 2008.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:27 pm 

I usually watch the Olympics casually, but I'll likely be watching these as much as I can. The prospect of this being a complete disaster for the ages is simply too good to pass up.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:53 pm 

Well, Brazil's Olympic football team blows as much at tournaments as their main team.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 pm 

Anybody watching the soccer (football) games yet? It's actually the only sport I enjoy watching so I'm on it right now. USA womens team is looking stellar as to be expected. Caught a bit of the Germany/Ethiopia (I believe) game, man did Germany kill them. And I just caught the end of the mens South Korea/Fiji game. HOLY FUCK. 8-0 just wow Fiji got annihilated.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 pm 

I just find it really sad that the Olympics used to be (or, at least, seem like) the one part of global society that was pure and noble and friendly and good, basically an embodiment of everything optimistic about humanity, but recently it seems to be a cesspool of corruption and fucked up shit. Unless your country already has the necessary infrastructure to host something on this scale, it seems like Olympic bids always have this enthusiasm about boosting the economy of the host nation but they almost always wind up being huge clusterfucks that waste shitloads of money. Sad state of affairs and I'm not sure what could really be done about it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:51 am 

Dembo wrote:

I totally agree with you. Olympics are about athletes and not football. I like to watch OG because of the sports I dont usually watch.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I just find it really sad that the Olympics used to be (or, at least, seem like) the one part of global society that was pure and noble and friendly and good, basically an embodiment of everything optimistic about humanity, but recently it seems to be a cesspool of corruption and fucked up shit. Unless your country already has the necessary infrastructure to host something on this scale, it seems like Olympic bids always have this enthusiasm about boosting the economy of the host nation but they almost always wind up being huge clusterfucks that waste shitloads of money. Sad state of affairs and I'm not sure what could really be done about it.

I know that in the case of football world cups there needs to be the toughest ever corruption investigation into the circles that decide where tournaments are held, a thorough clean-up of all the corrupt elements, and an introduction of maximum transparency of the bidding and voting process. And giving the 2022 world cup (and all future ones) to a country with basic human rights (which, despite all, even Russia has (emphasis on "basic")). Something similar can be done for the Olympics. Dubai wants to bid for 2028 (I think), and if they cannot prove that they can completely eliminate their slave labour system in the process they should get an Olympic size middle finger so hard in their faces that even their megastructures can't artificially inflate their egos enough to recover.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Pretty sure this is one of those "it was always this bad, we were just too young to notice" situations. Plus there's much more instant coverage these days with modern media. 30+ years ago, awful Olympic village conditions and corruption in the selection process are something we might only hear about in a book published years later.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:40 am 

I don't think it was always this bad for the sole reason that the third world used to be ignored in the bidding process a lot more, if not completely.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:47 pm 

Anyone else watching the opening ceremonies?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:01 pm 

I am, still waiting for Sepultura to play in it lol.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 pm 

That was a neat torch lighting.

Overall, I'd say as far as opening ceremonies goes this one was good.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:12 pm 

Not available to watch in the U.S.

Damn you, Canadian Twitter!

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:44 pm 

Ah, perhaps this link will work:
https://streamable.com/fa54

Full ending with fireworks:
https://streamable.com/5rh6

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Derigin wrote:

Quote:
Kitty Chiller, the head of the Australian delegation, said in a statement Sunday that team members “will not move into our allocated building” at the Athletes Village. She gave no hint of when they might.

Quote:
Kitty Chiller, the head of the Australian delegation

Quote:
Kitty Chiller

And American Ginny Thrasher wins the first medal!

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:55 am 

droneriot wrote:
And American Ginny Thrasher wins the first medal!

Gold no less!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:28 pm 

USA USA USA :hyper:

I love the Olympics, and prefer the summer games to winter. I have Tuesday off so I know what I'll be doing then!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:41 pm 

I've enjoyed female rugby today, Canada destroyed both Japan and the host team 45-0 and 38-0. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game versus GB. I also liked the female football games.

Also, France can't catch a break this year. Poor guy :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:37 am 

Australia tied with Germany 2-2 in women's football. The fact that we got a point against a football powerhouse is a hell of an effort.

Australia is also number one on the medal tally after day one. That won't last but it's nice to see. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm 

I get that there are more popular sports, but TV networks - come on, man! Would it kill ya to put on just one damn handball game? Or maybe some water polo?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:55 pm 

With all the bad news, at least the spirit of the event is intact.

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 pm 

Kim Jong Un will probably have her executed by a firing squad comprised of tanks if he sees that picture :-(

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:11 pm 

Fencing: USA got a silver in men's foil! Still haven't gotten a gold in that category but at least we're more-consistently breaking the ranks of the Italians and French there. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a gold in women's sabre since Zagunis is still around to kick ass.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 pm 

capeda wrote:
Kim Jong Un will probably have her executed by a firing squad comprised of tanks if he sees that picture :-(

I got the pic from this article.

Germany currently leads 8-0 against Fiji in football. :lol:

-edit- 10-0

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I get that there are more popular sports, but TV networks - come on, man! Would it kill ya to put on just one damn handball game? Or maybe some water polo?

I agree! I haven't seen any handball yet, which is a shame because that's kind of a cool sport.

The USA defeated Australia in men's basketball 98-88. I can't believe we were even that close to the greatest basketball team in the world. USA didn't try but even when they're not playing well, they end up winning. USA should win gold.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:11 pm 

This is one reason I love CBC and the streaming they offer online.

I get my weightlifting and rugby fix all the time!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:28 pm 

They ain't showing water polo up there? I swear I've seen like four games on tv and I've barely been paying attention. Just enough attention to know the USA goalie, McQuinn Barrett or whatever, is absolutely fucking awful. I genuinely wonder who he was up against if he's the best they could do.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next