Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:34 am 

So I'm sure I'm not the only metalhead on this forum that's a motorcycle owner and certainly not the only person with a keen interest in them. Figured I'd start a topic for us to discuss bikes of all persuasions and if you're an owner, share a pic (or pics) of your ride.

I personally own two bikes, a KTM Duke 390 (a 375cc naked single) and a Husaberg FE501 (510cc enduro monster). No pics of the Berg at the moment but I have a couple of the Duke. A couple of extras added on it from KTMs "Powerparts" list, namely I replaced the rear seat with a seat cowl, got rid of the rear pegs and fitted an Akrapovic slip-on. Supposedly the Akra gives an extra 5hp, bring it to 48hp and 146kg wet... good little bike. Got a new seat, levers and headlight mask on the way. :)

Sorry for the low res.

From a ride with a couple of mates this afternoon.

I go to my unrestricted license in January (in Australia learners and provisional license holders are restricted to certain sized bikes) and I'm already eyeing off a Yamaha MT-09, super sexy.

Discuss and share!

Last edited by Bezerko on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:31 am 

Bezerko wrote:
I personally own two bikes, a KTM Duke 390 (a 375cc naked single) and a Husaberg FE501 (510cc enduro monster).

Lucky bastard! LOL!

We had a Yamaha DT125RE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DT125) with some mods but the stupid guy at the workshop of our dealership fucked it (they did NOT change the piston even if we had 38000 Kms on the bike). All the story:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/odisea-motorilela.html

I miss that fucker!

Anyway, I have been getting my license so we can buy a new bike and I have been asking this week about the KTM 350 Exc-F:

http://www.ktm.com/es/enduro/350-exc-f-eu/highlights.html#.U0enqaLm72o

P.S: The new motorbike is pretty expensive and I'm not REALLY sure about going from 2 stroke to 4. Any advice, please?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 pm 

Four stroke definitely has it's advantages, namely being a bit more easier to ride and not having to mix fuel all the time! Especially handy when you're out on the trails... Of course they're heavier and a bit more expensive to maintain but hey, you get engine braking!

The 350 EXC-F is definitely a good bike, very well rated but there's no denying they're more expensive than the Japanese bikes (in Australia anyway). Keep a look out for the Husqvarna FE350, essentially the same bike with a couple of different (largely better) components and way better looking. :)

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 am 

Thought they'd be more posts. :( Just found a photo of my Husaberg, sorry for the terrible quality it was taken on my dad's iPhone.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:55 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Four stroke definitely has it's advantages, namely being a bit more easier to ride and not having to mix fuel all the time! Especially handy when you're out on the trails... Of course they're heavier and a bit more expensive to maintain but hey, you get engine braking!
The 350 EXC-F is definitely a good bike, very well rated but there's no denying they're more expensive than the Japanese bikes (in Australia anyway). Keep a look out for the Husqvarna FE350, essentially the same bike with a couple of different (largely better) components and way better looking. :)

Yeah, but I REALLY did enjoy the 2 stroke motorbike and despite having twice the power and less weight, I'm not sure.

Bezerko wrote:
Thought they'd be more posts. :( Just found a photo of my Husaberg, sorry for the terrible quality it was taken on my dad's iPhone.

Is that the Husqvarna FE350?

I'm only sure about NEEDING an enduro bike again! LOL!

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm 

Heres me on my 1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Custom. It's painted matte black, with my grandfathers POW # painted on the tail. Got some iron cobra pipes on it last year, did the pipe wrap to it. She's still in the shed but not for long! Gotta give her an oil change and do the fork seals.
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 am 

I really only have a lot of experience with dirtbikes. I learned to ride on a most ancient Yamaha 125 (2 stroke of course) that must have been a model from the early 80s or late 70s, as it was my fathers'. My half brother had a newer 50cc bike that he basically grew up on, later switching to a larger bike before breaking his leg in a race when he was a teenager.

Based on the bikes I've ridden, the qualitative difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke is night and day to me. The powerband of a 2 stroke typically feels a lot different from that of a 4 stroke. Generally speaking, 2 strokes tend to be a lot "peppier" and more sensitive. I find them more rewarding to ride because of this (deeper feeling of mastery once you learn the bike), but maybe I just haven't ridden the right 4 stroke yet, especially considering I haven't ridden any newer 4 strokes.

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:43 pm 

sourlows wrote:
I really only have a lot of experience with dirtbikes. I learned to ride on a most ancient Yamaha 125 (2 stroke of course) that must have been a model from the early 80s or late 70s, as it was my fathers'. My half brother had a newer 50cc bike that he basically grew up on, later switching to a larger bike before breaking his leg in a race when he was a teenager.

Based on the bikes I've ridden, the qualitative difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke is night and day to me. The powerband of a 2 stroke typically feels a lot different from that of a 4 stroke. Generally speaking, 2 strokes tend to be a lot "peppier" and more sensitive. I find them more rewarding to ride because of this (deeper feeling of mastery once you learn the bike), but maybe I just haven't ridden the right 4 stroke yet, especially considering I haven't ridden any newer 4 strokes.

Not trying to be rude but duh, 2 strokes are for racing. 2 larger cylinders provide more torque off the hop as opposed to a 4 stroke. I used to have a 2000 Honda XR400, and I just did trail riding. Ya, hit a couple small jumps but it was purely for the trails. It was a pretty powerful bike, but not to any 2 stroke, even an 80cc.

I'll tell ya though, those old bikes never quit. Just keep up on the seals and oil changes and you'll have it forever. My co-worker bought some knockoff Chinese enduro that's all plastic. And not the strong, bendable kind. You hit anything or drop it, and she just cracks or breaks off. I kinda bug him about it since his name is Jim. Just Jimmy rig it Jimmy! Haha
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:12 am 

Veld wrote:
sourlows wrote:

Not trying to be rude but duh, 2 strokes are for racing. 2 larger cylinders provide more torque off the hop as opposed to a 4 stroke. I used to have a 2000 Honda XR400, and I just did trail riding. Ya, hit a couple small jumps but it was purely for the trails. It was a pretty powerful bike, but not to any 2 stroke, even an 80cc.

I don't know about that. The last guy to win races on the AMA circuit on a 2 stroke was in 2006. Four stroke racing bikes actually dominate the scene. What makes things even is that the 125cc 2 strokes compete against 250cc 4 strokes and similarly for the 250/450 class, as comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke with equal displacements is just not valid. What I'm saying is, even when you are talking about the 125 2stroke vs 250 4stroke, the 125 feels much different in terms of power delivery and that difference (sensitivity, explosiveness, whatever you wanna call it) is what I liked about the 2 stroke bikes.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 pm 

sourlows wrote:
I find them more rewarding to ride because of this (deeper feeling of mastery once you learn the bike), but maybe I just haven't ridden the right 4 stroke yet, especially considering I haven't ridden any newer 4 strokes.

sourlows wrote:
What I'm saying is, even when you are talking about the 125 2stroke vs 250 4stroke, the 125 feels much different in terms of power delivery and that difference (sensitivity, explosiveness, whatever you wanna call it) is what I liked about the 2 stroke bikes.

That's my case too and that's why I'm not sure about the change.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Is that the Husqvarna FE350?

I'm only sure about NEEDING an enduro bike again! LOL!

FE501. In retrospect though I wish I'd gone the 350, would have been more manageable for my skill level.

Veld wrote:
Heres me on my 1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Custom. It's painted matte black, with my grandfathers POW # painted on the tail. Got some iron cobra pipes on it last year, did the pipe wrap to it. She's still in the shed but not for long! Gotta give her an oil change and do the fork seals.

Very nice, I really like the Yamaha's cruisers!

Veld wrote:

You're aware the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke has nothing to do with the amount of cylinders right? The 2/4 debate, and especially their competitiveness will go on forever. A lot of races are won by four strokes, a lot by two bangers. Comes down to the rider I guess.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 am 

Those Husabergs are monsters! My dad had a 550FC for grasstrack racing and it was incredibly fast and strong.
The only downside was that it was so damn high and the kickstarter was on the wrong side.

You're KTM Duke is really nice too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
FE501. In retrospect though I wish I'd gone the 350, would have been more manageable for my skill level.

That's what I LOVED about my DT125RE (even if it was like 130 Kgs).

I have been reading and asking about the Husqvarna FE350 but it seems more expensive than the regular KTM 350 Exc-f!
In any case, it could be SOMETHING cheaper than it's Six Days version but it does NOT help me.
Man, those fuckers are EXPENSIVE!

Reply to topic