Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 pm 

I know a lot of metalheads hate metalcore. But if you're reading this, trust me; not all of it is bad.

Believe it or not, but metalcore has been around since the early 1990s. Bands like Earth Crisis, Converge and Integrity were the first bands to be called metalcore for mixing hardcore (Black Flag, Agnostic Front) with metal. In case you guys didn't know, well I bet you won't be surprised, deathcore/metalcore did not get breakdowns from anything metal. If you listen to the more heavier hardcore bands like Death Before Dishonor, Madball, Terror, etc, they have breakdowns. But why don't you try giving traditional metalcore a chance?

Metalcore wasn't always about doing singing then screaming/growling. Besides, I've heard a Cradle of Filth song which had singing and screaming in it (Lilith Immaculate) and hell, I've heard Anaal Nathrakh's song "Paragram Pariah" and it had singing but was purely black metal. Even Testament have done some mix between growls and singing recently but they're thrash metal. Honestly, I think this stereotype for metalcore was because the metalcore bands who became mainstream first had singing, and by the time metalcore changed and some bands would sing, metalcore became mainstream. I think if it wasn't for bands like Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, etc, this wouldn't have happened.

I have heard some of these bands who aren't metalcore being called metalcore. But here are the reasons why they aren't metalcore:

Pierce the Veil - Honestly, these guys are WAY too soft for a metalcore band. I think they're more post-hardcore (not that type of post-hardcore played by bands like Hot Water Music and Quicksand) but mixed with pop rock or something) I don't see anything even metal about them. I think they blend pop with punk and other music. Screaming doesn't make you metalcore. In fact, many other genres have had screaming.

Sleeping With Sirens - If you listen to a song like "If You Can't Hang" or something, you tell me that song is metalcore? These guys are extremely soft. More of like pop punk to me.

Alesana - I don't see them very metalcore

Honestly, I am sick of all these so-called "hardcore" fans who listen to bands like Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, Converge, Full Blown Chaos, etc and think they're hardcore bands when they're metalcore. Hardcore is a subgenre of PUNK ROCK and is short for HARDCORE PUNK. Hardcore doesn't have any metal mixed in it. It has nothing to do with metal. I am sick of bands like Asking Alexandria being called "hardcore". So try checking out metalcore's regular style. Black Flag, Bad Brains, Fugazi, etc are more akin to hardcore. Here's some songs:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 pm 

Honestly if you are going to make a case for metalcore you should've picked older albums. Cause you aren't picking good songs from any of those bands... strife I always thought sucked.

I enjoy a ton of old metalcore but if you are going to do a list you should've done something like:

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:11 pm 

i think hatebreed is beast

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 pm 

Nothing past Satisfaction is the Death of Desire is really worth listening to.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 pm 

If you're going to post a metalcore 101 thread, at least know what you're talking about. You're writing in a condescending manner, like you think you're the only person who is aware that Integrity and Hatebreed exist. SLK makes good points.

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
Believe it or not, but metalcore has been around since the early 1990s. Bands like Earth Crisis, Converge and Integrity were the first bands to be called metalcore for mixing hardcore (Black Flag, Agnostic Front) with metal.

The term metalcore was used to describe crossover thrash and other metal/hardcore bands in the 80s, and the 90s metalcore you're referring to is heavily related to NYHC like Agnostic Front who played a metallic style in the 80s.

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
Metalcore wasn't always about doing singing then screaming/growling.

Do you only listen to music on the radio or something?

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
Pierce the Veil - Honestly, these guys are WAY too soft for a metalcore band. I think they're more post-hardcore (not that type of post-hardcore played by bands like Hot Water Music and Quicksand) but mixed with pop rock or something) I don't see anything even metal about them. I think they blend pop with punk and other music. Screaming doesn't make you metalcore. In fact, many other genres have had screaming.

Sleeping With Sirens - If you listen to a song like "If You Can't Hang" or something, you tell me that song is metalcore? These guys are extremely soft. More of like pop punk to me.

Alesana - I don't see them very metalcore

Oh for fucks sake, this is the metal archives, not the crying-about-emo-bands archives.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.