Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 am 

YUSS! Blew up Seath's tail after dying to that asshole about a dozen times. Man, most parts are a cakewalk as a sorcerer, but stuff like cutting off Seath's tail by yourself, or fighting the Four Kings, are goddamned aggravating. Still, I got it, without summoning. Had to resort to firestorming the tip of his tail while he stunned himself by breaking his own crystal.

Online seems to have picked up. Invaded and killed two people above my level in the archives, got flattened by a guy in stone guardian armor and solaire, but afterwards got summoned in by that same dude (and still solaire of course) to stomp O&S flat. Fun times. The only negative was invading the same hacker twice in a row, but that's what PvPWatchdog and a seperation crystal are for, I guess. Cheating pieces of crap. :annoyed:

Edit: PvPWatchdog just updated, you can now kick/disconnect hackers again with F1. Get it, it's just as mandatory as DSFix.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:20 pm 

I'm replaying Demons' but I'll talk about it here.

I ran through 4-1 last night in ONE RUN, both bosses, all duel wielding skeletons taken care of, haha oh man it felt amazing.

3-1 got me twice, still fell down one of the random pits in the prison cells, and I forgot about the black phantom before the boss... she took me out with a crossbow in like one hit.

Been using the assassin gear since I got it and have always heard armor isn't too important and yeah, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in damage. The claymore is hilarious and rocks, but it's weakness is tight areas with its wide slashes, hitting walls sometimes. Soul arrow is surprisingly useful and powerful even when I haven't touched my magic stats yet. Isn't Luck kind of good to put a few points into? I bumped mine up to 9.

Last time I played I used up all the boss souls for ... souls haha. This time I'd like to get some of the spells and weapons though. Any suggestions?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:56 pm 

Steamworks migration is kinda rough. It's still in beta mode, and for some reason it's region locked, meaning your download location in the Steam settings determines who you can play against. The recommendation is to set it to Finland which is what most people are doing, so in theory they can all do multiplayer with each other. In practice summon signs and invasions have become an all too rare occurrence, but at least I can get coop with my friend working. Namco says they're looking into the issue.

Also migrating back to GFWL (by turning the beta off) makes your saves unusable, so keep that in mind if you haven't migrated yet. Maybe you wanna wait until it actually works correctly.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:20 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I'm replaying Demons' but I'll talk about it here.

I ran through 4-1 last night in ONE RUN, both bosses, all duel wielding skeletons taken care of, haha oh man it felt amazing.

3-1 got me twice, still fell down one of the random pits in the prison cells, and I forgot about the black phantom before the boss... she took me out with a crossbow in like one hit.

Been using the assassin gear since I got it and have always heard armor isn't too important and yeah, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in damage. The claymore is hilarious and rocks, but it's weakness is tight areas with its wide slashes, hitting walls sometimes. Soul arrow is surprisingly useful and powerful even when I haven't touched my magic stats yet. Isn't Luck kind of good to put a few points into? I bumped mine up to 9.

Last time I played I used up all the boss souls for ... souls haha. This time I'd like to get some of the spells and weapons though. Any suggestions?

Why? This is the Dark Souls thread. I'll answer your questions in the video game thread. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:09 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Steamworks migration is kinda rough. It's still in beta mode, and for some reason it's region locked, meaning your download location in the Steam settings determines who you can play against. The recommendation is to set it to Finland which is what most people are doing, so in theory they can all do multiplayer with each other. In practice summon signs and invasions have become an all too rare occurrence, but at least I can get coop with my friend working. Namco says they're looking into the issue.

Also migrating back to GFWL (by turning the beta off) makes your saves unusable, so keep that in mind if you haven't migrated yet. Maybe you wanna wait until it actually works correctly.

I've been hanging around in Luxemburg and there was enough online activity for me to level-up both Sunbro and Darkmoon covenants. Invaded a shitton of sinners in various post-Anor Londo places and helped a couple people beat up Artorias. Also, holy crap are some of these invasion-spots evil. One time I invaded in Tomb of the Giants and ended up on a brick floor, so I'm wondering where on earth there are brick floors in the Tomb. So I cast my light-spell and see this poor bloke panicking between seeing me and being assaulted by a bunch of giant skellies. And then it dawns on me; this is the murder-death tomb with the big divine ember! That's positively vile, From Software! :o So I backed up and let him finish his business and grab the ember, before a mutual friendly wave and me ramming a moonlight greatsword through him ensued (shouldn't have cast flamewhip twice; I gave him the first one to show it doesn't work, but then he did it again, and I just had to backstab. I had to!... I'm a monster :( )

Speaking of Darkmoon, how many sources of sin are there? Because the majority of my invasions are not against Darkwraiths, but usually just some poor PvE'er who's probably wondering why the game is inflicting a spirit of vengeance on them. I know about killing non-hostiles (including Pricscilla, Gwyndolin and the mushroom-babies in the forest) and switching/betraying covenants without Oswald's blessing; I guess most people actually do a bunch of these, I know I do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:31 pm 

I just went in to check if there was finally someone up for coop-ing Capra, but for some reason I didn't have any online functionality at all. Not even player messages. Restarting Steam didn't help. Weird.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 pm 

Invading people in the Tomb of the Giants is awesome. I also ran across a guy fighting for his life against the group of giant skeletons you mentioned, but I just went ahead and killed him while he was distracted. Hey, I'm already invading you, so why bother being civil about it? :lol:

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:38 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I just went in to check if there was finally someone up for coop-ing Capra, but for some reason I didn't have any online functionality at all. Not even player messages. Restarting Steam didn't help. Weird.

Apparently Luxemburg and Finland are popular on different times of the day. I've also read Germany - Dusseldorf and USA - Dallas are popular.

Are you using PvPWatchdog? The latest version counts the number of online nodes you're connected to. 32 nodes is the max, but 15-20 nodes is already a healthy amount. If, after 10-15 minutes your node-pool is still zero, you know for a fact you'll need to switch. It might also matter how close you physically are to your chosen download-region, so experiment with that as well.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:57 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Invading people in the Tomb of the Giants is awesome. I also ran across a guy fighting for his life against the group of giant skeletons you mentioned, but I just went ahead and killed him while he was distracted. Hey, I'm already invading you, so why bother being civil about it? :lol:

I dunno man, I always feel a bit dirty doing that :lol: I usually wave like a doofus from a distance before engaging, and most people seem to be good sports about it and wave/bow back. Besides, as an invader I already have a massive psychological advantage in that I have absolutely nothing to lose.

So far, I've had the most success in the Archives (my favorite place to invade with my Beatrice cosplay :D ), the Catacombs, the Tomb and the stairs before Centipede Demon. Surprisingly no action in Anor Londo with my Darkmoon, only as a Darkwraith (and then plenty of it). Also never any invasions in New Londo, but I guess that makes sense, since summoning for Four Kings seems like an actively bad idea.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:31 pm 

Thanks for the info. I set it to Düsseldorf (as that happens to be closest to my actual location) and it seems to have worked, after 20 minutes I had 7 nodes. And I found someone to help me kill Capra. :thumbsup:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:55 am 

Amazing fanart (but huuuuge):
Spoiler: show

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am 

That is absolutely amazing. I'd love to see one of Drangleic!

Funny, I was only coming to this thread to post more sweet DS art!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am 

That'd be a fucking sweet album cover, man. Would work really well with some dirty speed metal a la Speedwolf (pun absolutely intended).

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:51 am 

I'll knock the fanboy-factor up a notch with some crossover fanart:

http://ds.joyreactor.cc/post/1677293

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am 

Now that one is awesome.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:58 pm 

Looks great! Is that from Stalker?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:18 pm 

Indeed. Bonfires are a recurring theme in the S.T.A.K.E.R. series. The A.I. sometimes makes random Stalkers walk up to them, pull a guitar out of thin air and play some melancholic music. It's great.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 pm 

Is Four Kings really that different in NG+? Seems to have this insane legacy according to... everyone, everywhere I look haha.

I thought it was a pretty easy fight on NG, but I still haven't tried DS1's NG+. Wonder if it has the biggest spike in difficulty among the four games.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:54 pm 

Nah, they were easier the second time around for me.

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 am 

4K got gruelingly difficult for my particular build from NG+2 and on (third playthrough). I had a strength / def build that was boss as shit but I had trouble with 4K once I hit NG+2. It became a nightmare on NG+3/4.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:03 pm 

This is beautiful:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm 

That's fucking awesome.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 am 

ohhhh!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35