Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:52 pm 

I've been following the progress of automaters in their destruction of this fine economic system and recently came to same conclusion they did: no matter how much I don't want it to be true, capitalism cannot survive automation, but capitalism cannot avoid automation. This fundamental contradiction in capitalism is the one most people don't even realize is there, that the market forces precipitating technological advancement are the same forces that will destroy the market system. Destroy is too strong a word, I should be saying "replace."

What's almost sickening (in that I consider this with Marxists laughing in the background) is that I cannot foresee a future where libertarian capitalism actually thrives. If capitalism goes on,http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/05/robots-artificial-intelligence-jobs-automation it will escape the Luddite Fallacy and will become post-capitalist in nature. Avoiding this would only be solved by deconstructing capitalism, and ultimately establishing something closer to a well regulated dictatorship to prevent these kinds of things from developing.
Capitalism works best in a free environment far away than radical ideologies, but it's painfully obvious that it will only evolve into something else itself.

From a libertarian who's now being pulled towards a worker-run economic model: that is, if this is the Czech term for worker. God forbid I become a transhumanist, but what else is there going to be for old farts than to become cyborg farts?
Pre-EDIT: Unfocused as raw fuck post, but I'm short on time
Kwik-E Edit: I said Marxists laugh in the background but it doesnt look like marxists would really fare any better

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 pm 

tl;dr: Oy Vey! Pesky goyim are going to have to abandon capitalism when the robots take their jobs.

Seriously though this probably will happen sometime in the future, but not in our lifetimes. This is also basically the same thing that is happening when companies move their factories to China. I think that it will not affect many countries for a very long time. The problem will be when this technology becomes affordable to the big companies and all those nine year old factory workers are out of their job. Down the road when the technology becomes very cheap is when the problem will start to move towards other countries such as the US. What would prevent this is to force big companies to limit the amount of robots that they have doing jobs; people could say that idea is unconstitutional but it would be the only way to prevent peoples lives from becoming utter shit. But it is not really something anyone has to worry about right now because it is going to take a very long time for these technologies to become cheap to invent and mass produce.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:

Seriously though this probably will happen sometime in the future, but not in our lifetimes. .

http://singularityhub.com/2012/11/12/1-million-robots-to-replace-1-million-human-jobs-at-foxconn-first-robots-have-arrived/
http://gawker.com/robots-now-replacing-chinese-factory-workers-and-u-s-f-1402593862

Mnight be a little sooner than 'not in our lifetimes'

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

I guess it's the end of history! Yet again!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 pm 

Well time for the Butlerian Jihad I guess...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 pm 

Yeah, the whole "humans will find a new industry to have jobs in" argument doesn't fly either. The service sector was good for sucking up jobs for a while but that could mostly be automated (automatic pizza makers, burger joints, newsagents) or just removed because it's a horrendous waste of anyones time (e.g. call centres). It's time to move on, but unfortunately removing a lot of lower paid workers from employment won't be good in the short term, assuming we continue to want to prop up this nonsense economy.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:44 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

I support this.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm 

Good. May our omnipotent robot overlords crush your puny internet libertarian fedora-stand.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 pm 

Invest in a robot manufacturing firm. Problem solved.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:52 pm 

Google's 2013 acquisitions are certainly intriguing.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Hopefully someone discovers a wonderful powder in the dessert that has a blue eyed side effect while this happens.

I don't doubt for a second that our current society will fall, all societies do. However, I don't think we're anywhere near the potential to fall, atleast not currenlty.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:10 pm 

Lord Nordhausen wrote:
God forbid I become a transhumanist, but what else is there going to be for old farts than to become cyborg farts?

:lol: I am transhuman and I used my technologically-assisted ban-evader detection system to find out that you were previously banned for this post. Bye.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99852&p=2291573#p2291573

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.