Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
Nothing. It's just that you'll miss out on lots of good music if you declare "crap" about an album after the first listen. That's all I want to say here.

Maybe, but there's no point in listening to something you hate over and over again. If you don't like it, you just don't fucking like it sometimes.

Yeah well, if you absolutely hated it then that's unlikely to change, but some albums just don't click immediately. In fact, many great albums don't click immediately.

Metantoine wrote:
No need to be offensive to be made fun of, good sir. You even said yourself that your opinion will receive some shit, well deal with it!

Except there's a difference between humour and being plain obnoxious, which is what he was doing.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 pm 

I heard Sabbath's "God is Dead?" on the radio today (the only time I've ever heard any metal song on that station before, including anything from Sabbath) and I realized the main riff is pretty close to the main riff of Genocide's "In the Dark". Not that anyone's likely to have heard the song given how obscure the demo is (and rightfully so - it's not really very good except for the song I mentioned), just found it interesting.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 pm 

You know what I can't fucking stand? People who don't rotate stock. I've worked in the grocery businesses since I was 15, and throughout all those years only 10% of employees have really given a shit. Company-wide, we lose hundreds of labor hours per year having people fix poorly-rotated stock, and we lose thousands of dollars per year to shrink due to poor rotation. I just don't get it. It's simple. Old in front, new in back. I probably just sound like a curmudgeon or something.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:19 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
You have to address each band on an individual basis and determine whether their particualr evolution is an ascension, blind alley or whatever else you want to call the manifestation.

To my mind, evolution implies adaptation, or getting better at what it is. When a band shifts direction to something else entirely and it's clear the reason for that is that their motivation has changed, then it's not evolution. It's reversion or assimilation.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm 

How is changing into something new "reversion"?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm 

Because Conservationism lives permanently in Opposite Land.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
You know what I can't fucking stand? People who don't rotate stock. I've worked in the grocery businesses since I was 15, and throughout all those years only 10% of employees have really given a shit. Company-wide, we lose hundreds of labor hours per year having people fix poorly-rotated stock, and we lose thousands of dollars per year to shrink due to poor rotation. I just don't get it. It's simple. Old in front, new in back. I probably just sound like a curmudgeon or something.

I'm working doing a night stock job until the fall and yeah, people are really fucking lazy. About 3 times I've found some sort of product pushed waaaaaay back on a shelf that was about 3-4 years expired. That's pretty fucking unacceptable. On the other hand though, if there's a TON of stock to do you don't always have lots of time to spend rotating, though I do try my best so product is (relatively) fresh.

Edit: Dairy is the exception. Dairy should always be rotated every day.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:09 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:

I totally agree with you man. I'm in foodservice, I deliver food to all sorts of places not peapod or pizzas I drive a tractor trailer, and you wouldn't believe the number of people that don't rotate stock. Also something really gross happened to ke yesterday: I was at this breakfast place and I went to get my invoice signed and the dude was elbow deep in RAW chicken then he proceeds to wipe his hands on the towel grab a pen and sign then go back to the chicken all without washing his hands...

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 pm 

The food industry is full of people who aren't particularly incentivized to give a fuck. This shouldn't surprise anyone really.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 pm 

@LlamaTrainer:
There is never an exception for dairy, or any cooler-stocked product for that matter. I do agree though... sometimes it is too busy to fully rotate a product. I've been guilty of sticking new product in front of old product. Hell, sometimes you don't need to rotate if the item in question moves quickly enough. But most of these dimwitted kids I work with don't have the capacity to grasp which items sell faster than others. I think that a big part of the lack of motivation of many middle class highschoolers is that they figure, "I'm going to college soon, why should I care?" What happened to just simply having proper work ethic? I tried college and it wasn't my cup of tea, so now all I have is work and music. I guess that makes me look at my job differently. I take it seriously and I do what is expected of me, plus more.

@Erosion of Humanity:
That is disgusting as shit, man!

@AppleQueso
It's not a surprise. Just frustrating. So now I'm venting that frustration.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
@LlamaTrainer:
There is never an exception for dairy, or any cooler-stocked product for that matter.

The only reason that it's an exception at my store is that most of the people who work dairy work it every day, 7-4. Stock really does suck though, I feel that I'm one of the few people at my job who actually care and I've been there all of 3 months and I'm done in September...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm 

Even as just a plain ol' consumer with no insider knowledge of stock rotation for food, it becomes really obvious which stores are on the ball with it and which aren't. I bought a bottle of hot sauce from a nearby store and noticed that it was something like five years expired when I opened it - the next time I was there I checked out the end-cap display where they were and *all* of them were massively expired. After that I started paying more attention and at any given time a huge proportion of the stuff I buy from there is either expired or really close to expiration.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 pm 

Wana hear another gross story? Of cousre you do! So there was this restaurant I used to deliver to pretty regularly and the cook (if you can call him that) used to smoke while making the soups. Needless to say ash quite frequently feel into the soups and pasta sauces. Now everytime you go out you'll wonder if that really is pepper or not. Your welcome.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:53 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Even as just a plain ol' consumer with no insider knowledge of stock rotation for food, it becomes really obvious which stores are on the ball with it and which aren't. I bought a bottle of hot sauce from a nearby store and noticed that it was something like five years expired when I opened it - the next time I was there I checked out the end-cap display where they were and *all* of them were massively expired. After that I started paying more attention and at any given time a huge proportion of the stuff I buy from there is either expired or really close to expiration.

You probably could have taken that to the store, asked for the manager, complained, and got a bunch of free shit.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Wana hear another gross story? Of cousre you do! So there was this restaurant I used to deliver to pretty regularly and the cook (if you can call him that) used to smoke while making the soups. Needless to say ash quite frequently feel into the soups and pasta sauces. Now everytime you go out you'll wonder if that really is pepper or not. Your welcome.

Gross.

LlamaTrainer wrote:
The only reason that it's an exception at my store is that most of the people who work dairy work it every day, 7-4. Stock really does suck though, I feel that I'm one of the few people at my job who actually care and I've been there all of 3 months and I'm done in September...

Customer service/retail jobs tend to suck the life out of you after a while. You're one of the few who actually care, but I'd be willing to bet that if you were there for another year, a new employee would lump you in with those who don't.

Off topic, why do some people add '-core' to everything? I thought it was meant to denote a hardcore punk influence/hybrid genre, but it seems it's getting slapped onto every new 'subgenre' that pops up even if there's no discernible hardcore influence. :old:

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Customer service/retail jobs tend to suck the life out of you after a while. You're one of the few who actually care, but I'd be willing to bet that if you were there for another year, a new employee would lump you in with those who don't.

It does suck the fucking life out of you. But ultimately you signed up to do a particular job, so that's what you have to do regardless of how you feel. If you don't want to perform your job's tasks to the fullest of your ability (most of the time, anyway), you should just fucking quit.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Gypaetus wrote:

It does suck the fucking life out of you. But ultimately you signed up to do a particular job, so that's what you have to do regardless of how you feel. If you don't want to perform your job's tasks to the fullest of your ability (most of the time, anyway), you should just fucking quit.

I don't work in customer service (anymore, whee) :) I don't disagree with you really, but telling people to 'just quit' a job they hate is being overly idealistic. It's hardly ever that simple.

Edit: Completely off topic, but by god, lab safety induction courses suck. "Don't use flammable solvents near a naked flame." REALLY NOW, who'da thunk it? This is for graduate students and staff mind you.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
I don't work in customer service (anymore, whee) :) I don't disagree with you really, but telling people to 'just quit' a job they hate is being overly idealistic. It's hardly ever that simple.

Yeah. Hard to up and quit a job you hate if you depend on that income, at least without something else lined up right away.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Gypaetus wrote:

Yeah. Hard to up and quit a job you hate if you depend on that income, at least without something else lined up right away.

I agree. But people usually don't take that step of lining a replacement job up.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Off topic, why do some people add '-core' to everything? I thought it was meant to denote a hardcore punk influence/hybrid genre, but it seems it's getting slapped onto every new 'subgenre' that pops up even if there's no discernible hardcore influence. :old:

Because of convenience and laziness. I'll admit to have using the term occasionally. It doesn't necessarily denote a hardcore punk influence anymore (although that was the original intention), but generally refers to borderline metal genres that I suppose once had a tangible hardcore punk influence like deathcore and metalcore. I suppose some people include djent now, too.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

I agree. But people usually don't take that step of lining a replacement job up.

That's sometimes the case, sure. But it's becoming more and more common these days that sometimes having a replacement job lined up just isn't possible. There's a lot of people around that are stuck in jobs they hate, but haven't been able to line up another job and can't quit what they're doing because they need the money. It sucks, but that's the way things are for some people.

dystopia4 wrote:
Because of convenience and laziness. I'll admit to have using the term occasionally. It doesn't necessarily denote a hardcore punk influence anymore (although that was the original intention), but generally refers to borderline metal genres that I suppose once had a tangible hardcore punk influence like deathcore and metalcore. I suppose some people include djent now, too.

If I had to choose I think I'd prefer the overuse of -core to djent. God that's a stupid term /cry... unless you're telling me that people are pulling a Conservationism and starting to call some bands djent-core :ugh:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 am 

Been a whirlwind of a week for me. My uncle killed himself at work on Tuesday, and was an amazing person and everyone loved him so it was a complete shock and very hard on everyone. Funeral is tomorrow and just found out that he recently had his medication changed. Been very grateful for so much support that the family has been getting. I am on wellbutrin right now for depression but it makes me not want to take anymore medication...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:09 am 

Sorry to hear that. :( Hang in there.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 am 

Has anyone else been following the George Zimmerman trial? I honestly think that he will be acquitted, at least of the charges of second degree murder. The prosecution has not put forward a good enough case to disprove Zimmerman's story beyond a reasonable doubt. He definitely ignored the 911 dispatcher's instructions and probably was profiling based on race, but that still does not prove intent to kill. There have been eyewitnesses who said it looked like Trayvon was straddling Zimmerman and one said it looked like Trayvon could have been punching him. Also, the star witnesses's testimony might have screwed the prosecution a bit as she was caught lying under oath. I think that Zimmerman probably had bad intentions and possibly is a murderer, but I think it's almost impossible to prove in court, especially since the main charge the prosecution is going after is second degree murder, and the fact the Zimmerman did sustain injuries.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 am 

Yeah, I think he'll be acquitted too. I read a report today saying that Florida police agencies and cities are gearing up and preparing for civil unrest following the ruling. Fun times.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 am 

Real glad I left Florida at this point, with all the hype it's probably getting and the general craziness.

Really the whole thing is just another big over hyped media trial when really we should be focusing on other things. It's just like Casey Anthony. Only unlike her, it's even more clear cut: Zimmerman needs to go to jail. He killed a teenage boy. There are no excuses, talking about Trayvon's marijuana smoking (yeah 'cause THAT makes you a criminal), who was straddling who, etc. is just unimportant.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:57 am 

It's unfortunate that a race riot will likely break out. I get that if a black man shot a half-white light skinned latino teen, he probably would have actually gotten arrested in the beginning, but the fact that he's probably getting off has nothing to do with race. The evidence helps Zimmerman out a lot and the star witnesses's testimony was quite bad. I hate how at the beginning of the controversy of him not initially getting arrested everyone made it out like a white man shot a black kid and got away with it - Zimmerman does not look white and identifies himself as latino.

Empy - I agree that the marijuana use is irrelevant and obviously a chance to smear Trayvon. I mean, really, who cares? The last three presidents of the States have admitted to smoking weed before. There is absolutely no proof that weed triggers violence. However, I don't think it's as clear cut as Zimmerman killed and needs to go to jail. I mean, I'm not completely on his side, but the evidence does seem to be on the side of him getting acquitted. I don't understand why he couldn't fight off a skinny teenager, but if you have reason to fear for your life or grievous bodily harm and see no other option, you are then authorized to use lethal force. I'm not saying that was necessarily the case, but it would be hard to prove it absolutely wasn't in a court of law. And I don't see how who was startling who is unimportant.

Also, think this is relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olI_qbedmLA

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
How is changing into something new "reversion"?

If what's "new" is actually "old" or "dumbed-down."

darkeningday wrote:

It's important to follow the herd.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:18 am 

I don't think Zimmerman should be convicted of Murder 2, which is what he has been charged with, but I definitely think he's guilty of some variety of Manslaughter and should serve time in jail. I'm pretty sure the prosecution is going for Murder 2 to scare him and then will offer Man 2 or something as a plea bargain later once Zimmerman gets sick of the whole trial circus and/or his legal funds start to dry up. Bottom line is he followed this kid for no legitimate reason with a weapon and the intent to confront him - the whole "self-defense" bullshit applies just as much to Trayvon Martin as it does to Zimmerman.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 am 

The judge actually gave the green light today for the jury to convict him of manslaughter if they feel he meets the criteria for conviction, so that's actually quite a possible outcome.

Obligatory Last FM Link

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 am 

Not that I've been following the trial extremely closely, but I always was of the impression that manslaughter was a much more appropriate charge. There's also pretty much no way Zimmerman would prevail if Trayvon Martin's family filed a wrongful death suit (which I guess typically happens after the criminal trial is over). Zimmerman's a scumbag though, through and through.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 am 

More than anything, I think the witnesses on both side are what is going to allow Zimmerman to walk. The ones that said it looked like Trayvon was straddling and attacking Zimmerman are obviously not going to help the prosecution's case. Most of all I think Rachel Jentel's testimony did no favours for the prosecution. She quite blatantly lied under oath (although it was a white lie more than anything, but still makes her a problematic witness in the eyes of the law), she said that Zimmerman following Trayvon was racial but somehow Trayvon describing George as a "creepy ass cracker" was not racial and her entire demeanour was raw and at times hostile. Also, you just can't say stuff like "that's really retarded, sir" to the defence and be taken seriously. I am somewhat sympathetic as it does seem like she doesn't feel comfortable in this setting. However, I don't think her defence will help the case for putting Zimmerman behind bars.

Second degree murder was never an appropriate charge and I kind of feel that the only reason that charge was laid was because of public pressure.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
she said that Zimmerman following Trayvon was racial but somehow Trayvon describing George as a "creepy ass cracker" was not racial

White people have never been the victims of systemic racism in the same way black people have. Minorities are routinely racially profiled by the police, and if you're seriously suggesting that calling someone a "cracker" (an utterly harmless term) is on the same level as racial profiling, then you're an idiot.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 am 

Haha yeah, "cracker" cracks me up so hard. It blows my mind when people even remotely try to put that term on the same level as derogatory terms commonly used for blacks. I've been called a cracker many times, and have *never* been offended by it. C'mon.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 am 

...those people who call me cracker don't do it because I look delicious?

:(

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am 

I never said it was on the same level as racial profiling, which it is obviously not. However, to say that the term "cracker" is not racial (I never said racist) is simply untrue. Of course it carries much less weight than racial slurs towards minorities who have had a history of being oppressed, but saying that it doesn't carry racial connotations is just not true. I'm not offended by the term and I never tried to make a case for it being offensive or on the same level as discrimination towards minorities. All I am saying is it doesn't make sense that she didn't think that "creepy as cracker" had racial connotations.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 am 

failsafeman wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
she said that Zimmerman following Trayvon was racial but somehow Trayvon describing George as a "creepy ass cracker" was not racial

White people have never been the victims of systemic racism in the same way black people have. Minorities are routinely racially profiled by the police, and if you're seriously suggesting that calling someone a "cracker" (an utterly harmless term) is on the same level as racial profiling, then you're an idiot.

Racism is racism dude. Yeah some people get it worse than others (obviously), but that doesn't excuse it.

Double standards - they're awesome right?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 am 

I'm tired of reading and seeing this case on tv everywhere I go. It makes me miss the Jodi Arias coverage.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 am 

Can someone just say "nigger" already so we can forget to focus on what's important?
Hehe, foreskins.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:31 am 

Conservationism wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

It's important to follow the herd.

Oops, my mistake. Conservationism vacillates wildly between Opposite Land and False Dichotomy Kingdom; so much so, they've considered constructing a high-speed rail between the two.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 518  Next