Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

Does it take a certain number of points or posts to become a Veteran?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 pm 

2500 posts, apparently.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 pm 

Wait what, Veracs is gone? So one second of chugging will no longer make a band mallcore? :(

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:17 pm 

I have 2082 more posts of inane shit nobody cares about to become a veteran, then! :-D

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
Subrick wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-signs-executive-order-to-allow-shut-down-of-all-us-communications

How exactly does this man still have supporters?

This is why the burden of proof lies upon statists to show why their ideas are so great.

I hope Obama has total authority to shut down all communications as long as I don't have to read the constant circle-jerk of libertards and WAKE-UP-SHEEPLE posts.

No I'm not a statist or a terrorist or someone that hates your freedoms, but the constant libertarian tsunami of Ron Paul cum that this board sometimes becomes does get a little annoying.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:45 pm 

MA is like a weird combination of Ron Paul and Karl Marx supporters jerking off at each other - definitely gets pretty weary at times.

That's why it's nice when we leave the politics off the board and talk about stuff of a metallic variety. IE I purchased the new Borknagar album a few days ago. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but there's definitely some nice tunes on there. Going to do the full listen tonight. The latest Dark Tranquillity is certainly different than their previous work. Slowly, more moody. Still not sure if I like it or not yet. Time shall tell!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:59 pm 

Urd is certainly a very good album. Its very consistent in quality, the production is -at last - excellent and there are several epic moments. Epochalypse has all Vintersorg, Vortex and Lazare providing vocals, Roots has Vortex at the end singing a very The Archaic Course passage, the best V moment is at the end of The Earthling and both Vortex tracks are awesome; Frostrite has a very uplifting feeling without losing aggression and In a Deeper World is pure badassery, one of those midpaced Hyms which send chills to your spine. One of the best Vortex performances ever for sure.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
MA is like a weird combination of Ron Paul and Karl Marx supporters jerking off at each other - definitely gets pretty weary at times.

wat

Pretty much every time something like this comes up I'm getting the impression there's more people actually complaining about "too many libertarians/leftists/hidden communists/aliens" than there are actually those in question.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:12 pm 

It's because we're all sick of mindshadow's posts. That being said, most of the time I just scroll past them anyways.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

That's why it's nice when we leave the politics off the board and talk about stuff of a metallic variety.

Definetly, I'll rip my hair out if I see another thread about political affiliations of bands, "iz worng 2 lstem 2 nsbm if u r not nazi??" or whatever.

Anyway, Goatpenis will be releasing a new album and Mortuary Drape a split later this year, things are looking good.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
No I'm not a statist or a terrorist or someone that hates your freedoms, but the constant libertarian tsunami of Ron Paul cum that this board sometimes becomes does get a little annoying.

It isn't just this board. The internet is filled with such special interest groups. The pro-pot zombies, the free market zombies (Ronulans), the leftists on mental health medication, the polyamory zombies, Scientologists, etc.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

It's a common misconception that anyone who is remotely libertarian likes Ron Paul. I don't, particularly. I have no problem with people who want a government, I just want to be left out of it. Nor do I think it's unreasonable to object to stupidly intrusive government or question why people would want that.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:00 pm 

Marag wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
definitely, I'll rip my hair out if I see another thread about political affiliations of bands, "iz worng 2 lstem 2 nsbm if u r not nazi??" or whatever.

Anyway, Goatpenis will be releasing a new album and Mortuary Drape a split later this year, things are looking good.

Mortuary Drape are releasing a new split? Awesome, did you mean with goatpenis or someone else?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 pm 

The split will be with Shining, Goatpenis new album has nothing to do with it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 pm 

stuff about how Obama threatening mandatory moratoriums on US communications represents 'statists' interests

It's a common misconception that anyone who is remotely libertarian likes Ron Paul.

:lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 pm 

Marag wrote:
The split will be with Shining, Goatpenis new album has nothing to do with it.

Hmm seems like a very odd choice, but still any new Mortuary Drape material is a good thing in my opinion!

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
stuff about how Obama threatening mandatory moratoriums on US communications represents 'statists' interests

It's a common misconception that anyone who is remotely libertarian likes Ron Paul.

:lol:

That is not what I meant. :P

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm 

I really dislike when people use the word 'evolve' to describe a band changing their style. "Band A has evolved and people need to understand that, because band A isn't a dinosaur and aren't going to make the same record twice. They have evolved and evolving is what good bands do"

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:17 pm 

So I slowed down Skrillex and it became a sad, alien dirge. Why do I like this as much as I do?
Hehe, foreskins.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 pm 

Yea I hate that as well cause usually it's always when a band changed their style to something worse than before.

Crick.. you like it because you did it and made it to something that can pass off as something that isn't audioaids.

Crick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm 

I dunno man, Im actually getting the melody of this thing stuck in my head now and then. It worked better than I thought it would.
Hehe, foreskins.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm 

what i was saying was praise for it.

Crick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm 

Cut me some slack King Asshole. :P <3
Hehe, foreskins.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm 

You know, every time a band is criticized for a stylistic shift, someone comes along and argues something along the lines of "Well if they didn't change you'd all be complaining about how everything they do sounds the same!"

But the thing is, for the bands that do essentially release the same album over and over, it seems to me like people rarely complain about that. If anything, the bands that do that are often praised for their consistency.

...just a thought.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 pm 

It seems to me that the most successful bands change just enough to warrant new material as well as expand their sound, while staying relatively the same to attain consistency and identity. It can be a difficult balance to strike, but those that do are usually my favorite.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 pm 

A lot of metalheads do bitch too much about bands changing. Not to say that metalheads are all close minded; far from it. But when I see comments about Maiden's newest material saying "they should just make a 35 minute album of short rockers with an epic number at the end like the 80s," I just don't think that would be a good idea. If Maiden caved into the fans and did that, it would probably just come out hollow like the last Sabbath album or something. It would be dishonest and phony sounding. Personally I think bands changing and innovating is usually a good thing. If it's what they want to do artistically, I'm all for it. Bands should find a balance between doing enough to keep the basics of a signature sound, while still artistically doing what they want. That's the key to a truly successful band I think, at least from a songwriting point of view.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 pm 

Crick wrote:

I'd buy a whole album of this shit, for real.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:10 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
You know, every time a band is criticized for a stylistic shift, someone comes along and argues something along the lines of "Well if they didn't change you'd all be complaining about how everything they do sounds the same!"

But the thing is, for the bands that do essentially release the same album over and over, it seems to me like people rarely complain about that. If anything, the bands that do that are often praised for their consistency.

...just a thought.

Actually, no. Bands that release the same album over and over basically tend to just be remembered for who they were and basically nobody cares if they release anything new or not, and very often there indeed is a lot of people complaining about that (if I were a fan of any of such bands I'd probably be one of them). There's also a difference between consistency and self-copying.

The word "evolve" might be overused but it does sometimes make a lot of sense, when a band's early stuff is good but not very surprising, and they eventually change into something more original and recognisable. I'd say Anathema would be a good example of this, as it seems that pretty much everyone (besides, obviously, people who like their later stuff but don't like metal in general) likes their doom albums, but it's their later works that gave them a much stronger status and resulted in a clear, recognisable style that's started to influence other bands.

And this is my opinion, but for me it's the greatest achievement for any band - change their style into something new without losing their strengths which made them good in the first place, and most of my favourite bands kind of fit this description, and in pretty much all cases I enjoy their early and later material alike.

Generally I'm under the impression people are often far too close-minded on bands changing or evolving (whichever term you prefer or makes more sense in a context), the result often being "hey this is actually pretty good [even though I fucking hated it when it came out]" 5-10 years later. I've already said this elsewhere - if a band releases an album which you dislike, they won't do anything better. The album is what they wanted to do and it's what they feel they do best. If they release something that "everyone wants" instead, it will most likely be incredibly bland and lifeless. [Edit: Empyreal kind of beat me to it]

[There are of course exceptions, like bands consciously trying to get more commercial success or whatever, but thankfully it's not very common in metal, anyway you get my point I guess]

Ok, sorry if this is pretty huge, but this is a topic I'm kind of sensitive about :P

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 pm 

See, the way I see it is that it's their band. I as a fan should have no say so in what they want to make. Music is art, if a painter made the same portrait over and over with slightly different colors, nobody would buy his shit. Unless they're like those pretentious douche bags that will buy a black line on a white canvas because it's "abstract and experimental and deep". I for one am whole heartedly for bands altering their sound to varying degrees. If a band alters their sound and makes an album that I don't like, hey, I don't like that album, doesn't mean I don't like the band. Just means that one particular album is not for me. But, if they come out with a new album and it sounds different but good well fuck I got a new awesome album to listen to. I don't want to hear the same shit over and over. i listen to new bands in many different genres everyday. I'm not gonna fault a band for wanting to do play something different because I always want to hear something different. One album does not tarnish another for me.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:06 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=192343

First dildo's now bikinis. Does Ghost have an abnormally large female fanbase or are they just really stepping out of the box when it comes to selling merch? Serious question.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:12 am 

You just assume that the fans buying the dildo and bikinis are female? It is Ghost were talking about...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 am 

Just the right place to have Ghost's name, right over your ass.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=192343

First dildo's now bikinis. Does Ghost have an abnormally large female fanbase or are they just really stepping out of the box when it comes to selling merch? Serious question.

In all fairness, Slayer are making bikinis too: http://slayer.backstreet-merch.com/stor ... ay271.html

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 am 

Bikinis are pretty tame merch, bands have been selling j strings for ages as well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am 

Marag wrote:
Crick wrote:

I'd buy a whole album of this shit, for real.

It really is a bit weird having a program that lets me fuck with songs that easily. Even minor stuff like speeding things up just a liiiittle bit feels like playing God with my records. Didn't like a Gargoyle song, so I sped it up 25% and now it rips. But I've ruined the actual song for myself. What a world.
Hehe, foreskins.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Bikinis are pretty tame merch, bands have been selling j strings for ages as well.

fuck that women shouldn't even be fans of metal. Metal is man music for men. As we are the superior sex and have superior tastes in music. Pussy bitches go home! Dick fucking big! One direction is you gay!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 am 

Crick wrote:
It really is a bit weird having a program that lets me fuck with songs that easily. Even minor stuff like speeding things up just a liiiittle bit feels like playing God with my records. Didn't like a Gargoyle song, so I sped it up 25% and now it rips. But I've ruined the actual song for myself. What a world.

Paulstretch or are you just dicking around in Audacity?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am 

pastafarian wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

fuck that women shouldn't even be fans of metal. Metal is man music for men. As we are the superior sex and have superior tastes in music. Pussy bitches go home! Dick fucking big! One direction is you gay!

I don't care if you're kidding or not. Bye.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Crick wrote:

Paulstretch or are you just dicking around in Audacity?

Audacity.
Hehe, foreskins.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 am 

Metantoine wrote:
pastafarian wrote:

I don't care if you're kidding or not. Bye.

He's...gone? Huzzah!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187 ... 518  Next