Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 am 

You know, guys? Sometimes, I'm fearful for the world. There just seems to be a neverending stream of horror and pain and absurdity and faeces coming from everywhere, at all times, with little in my power to stop it. This powerlesness becomes guilt, as I senselessly blame myself for merely not being born in a situation that would give me access to any kind of influence in the course of events. Sometimes, I tell myself that my happiness is merely a construct born of self-denial; how could I deserve happiness, lowly and vile as I am? And it is of vileness like mine that the rest of the world shapes itself into. A symptom, complaining of the illness at large?

But then, no, it is not that. I am happy, truly. Not 100%, not all of the time, but happy indeed. How can I be so bad, if I realize my badness? Because with realization, comes change, and with change, comes progress. I am not doomed to an existence of soul rot, for I can identify, extract and destroy any such contamination I find within myself. This I can do, and so much more.

And this takes me to the real intent of this post; I know you good people are out there. Many of you are here on this very forum; you might not think of yourself that way, you might even think quite the opposite, but if you are who I'm thinking of, know that you've earned it. There are people here who care about the rights of others, people who love and accept and fight for their neighbour as well as for their lifeblood, and it is with these people that I swim against the tide. For every ten horrors we throw a hundred punches, and when they become a thousand we can't keep up but we still throw our hundred and fuck you you ain't taking me down without a goddamn fight, you get it? Of course you get it. Because you're good. And what I want to say is thank you. Thank you, all of you, goddamnit. Because when I'm fearful for the world, I remember you guys. And then it is not so bad after all.

In fact.

It's even kinda beautiful.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 am 

Derigin wrote:
Yeah, that's the major fault in xlxlx's reasoning, too: "I'm a big stickler regarding respect for any language's original pronunciations" and for a "language with pre-established rules and conventions," but "'Cirith Ungol' are just nonsense words" despite being part of a language with rules and conventions established by its author. Nothing really separates Spanish and Sindarin, except that one evolved differently and has more speakers. Beyond those two factors, both languages have conventions and original pronunciations, and in many ways have pre-established rules arbitrarily and originally set by the single will of a person or an institution looking to standardize the language. In the case of Sindarin, that was Tolkien. In the case of Spanish, it's Antonio de Nebrija and the Royal Spanish Academy.

Well, fuck me, you're right.

I stand defeated.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
You know, guys? Sometimes, I'm fearful for the world. There just seems to be a neverending stream of horror and pain and absurdity and faeces coming from everywhere, at all times, with little in my power to stop it. This powerlesness becomes guilt, as I senselessly blame myself for merely not being born in a situation that would give me access to any kind of influence in the course of events. Sometimes, I tell myself that my happiness is merely a construct born of self-denial; how could I deserve happiness, lowly and vile as I am? And it is of vileness like mine that the rest of the world shapes itself into. A symptom, complaining of the illness at large?

But then, no, it is not that. I am happy, truly. Not 100%, not all of the time, but happy indeed. How can I be so bad, if I realize my badness? Because with realization, comes change, and with change, comes progress. I am not doomed to an existence of soul rot, for I can identify, extract and destroy any such contamination I find within myself. This I can do, and so much more.

And this takes me to the real intent of this post; I know you good people are out there. Many of you are here on this very forum; you might not think of yourself that way, you might even think quite the opposite, but if you are who I'm thinking of, know that you've earned it. There are people here who care about the rights of others, people who love and accept and fight for their neighbour as well as for their lifeblood, and it is with these people that I swim against the tide. For every ten horrors we throw a hundred punches, and when they become a thousand we can't keep up but we still throw our hundred and fuck you you ain't taking me down without a goddamn fight, you get it? Of course you get it. Because you're good. And what I want to say is thank you. Thank you, all of you, goddamnit. Because when I'm fearful for the world, I remember you guys. And then it is not so bad after all.

In fact.

Are you okay? I feel like there's more you want to say but, even here, you have restrained yourself.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

In fact.

I want to know what inspired this. Feels like I started a movie halfway through. This is the inspirational speech at the end of a defeated second act that leads into the third act that leads to success. Because I'd like to comment more, but it seems like I should know more of the background first.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:37 am 

Having Long Island Ice Teas and tequila shots in one night is not a good idea. That is all.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm 

The last few weeks have been a bit... harsh, guys. I've grown a lot as a person this year, thankfully, and have come to welcome some wonderful new people into my life. People I'd gladly take a bullet for. I guess last night I was just a bit... I was ruminating on that. Often, the world feels like a scary and uncertain place; more of an obstacle course than a journey. And it's a bit too much a lot of the time.

I guess I was just trying to put it out there that it's not all terrible. Trying to externalize my hopes that things are actually good, if not as good as they could be and not all the time. See if someone would echo that, see if my voice isn't as lonely as I sometimes think.

I am sorry. This is probably not the place for this kind of thing. I am aware that it seems like I basically just comment the occasional snide little snip until something bad and catastrophic takes place in my life, but I don't want to appear like an inciter of drama or an attention-seeker. I just think commiseration with strangers is actually a lot more valuable than people give it credit for, after a long time of being a cretin and thinking otherwise.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 pm 

Here's a quote from Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth (of all places) that needs to be in a review:

'It's isn't rock and it isn't metal. It's like some sort of... eggshell.'

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:43 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
The last few weeks have been a bit... harsh, guys. I've grown a lot as a person this year, thankfully, and have come to welcome some wonderful new people into my life. People I'd gladly take a bullet for. I guess last night I was just a bit... I was ruminating on that. Often, the world feels like a scary and uncertain place; more of an obstacle course than a journey. And it's a bit too much a lot of the time.

I guess I was just trying to put it out there that it's not all terrible. Trying to externalize my hopes that things are actually good, if not as good as they could be and not all the time. See if someone would echo that, see if my voice isn't as lonely as I sometimes think.

I am sorry. This is probably not the place for this kind of thing. I am aware that it seems like I basically just comment the occasional snide little snip until something bad and catastrophic takes place in my life, but I don't want to appear like an inciter of drama or an attention-seeker. I just think commiseration with strangers is actually a lot more valuable than people give it credit for, after a long time of being a cretin and thinking otherwise.

That is very true. There are lots of times when I find it much easier, and a great help, to bounce a serious idea off a stranger than share it with someone I'm close to. Because you know your loved ones will want to help you by fully sorting out the issue, and you may not be ready to that yet. Whereas someone more distant from you could offer useful advice, while ultimately leaving you to act on it. That's why talking to outsiders is a great first step - you don't have the same guilt about dragging another person down with your problem.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:14 pm 

Alright denizens of MA, it's time to answer a very, very serious question. This will separate the Mallcore Kids from the Metal Gods.

How do you eat your corn on the cob? Typewriter style or rolling pin style?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 pm 

Typewriter... I'm a bit concerned I picked the wrong one...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:00 am 

i guess rolling pin style. i twirl that thot around and bite randomly, though. no real precision cobbing.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 am 

With a knife and fork. Obviously.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 am 

hey wrote:
With a knife and fork. Obviously.

Bourgeois.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Alright denizens of MA, it's time to answer a very, very serious question. This will separate the Mallcore Kids from the Metal Gods.

How do you eat your corn on the cob? Typewriter style or rolling pin style?

I... don't.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:34 am 

The same. I do not like corn on the cob. Should I show myself the door?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 am 

Out of the can. You know, the metal way.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 am 

I don't always eat corn on the cob but when I do, I go full typewriter.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 am 

I slice the kernels off with a knife, and eat them that way.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 am 

Derigin wrote:

That's such a anti-caveman fancy-ass way of eating corn that it probably exposes one to cancer. But probably a good way of showing that your family has lived in furnished rooms for a few centuries longer than mine.

Munch them off the cob. If you indeed insist on eating corn on the cob, that is.

Please remember that KoЯn on the CoB is not something you should be contemplating too deeply. Just... don't.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 pm 

I dunno what it is about corn that makes y’all eat it all at once, whether typewriter or roller style. Maybe I have a short attention span, but whatever’s on my plate, I tend to migrate all over the place, few bites here, few bites there. I’m never stuck on the corn long enough to develop a technique.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 pm 

Napero wrote:
Please remember that KoЯn on the CoB is not something you should be contemplating too deeply. Just... don't.

Always you with your smart jokes! Just never stop doing that, it's too good.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:10 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I dunno what it is about corn that makes y’all eat it all at once, whether typewriter or roller style. Maybe I have a short attention span, but whatever’s on my plate, I tend to migrate all over the place, few bites here, few bites there. I’m never stuck on the corn long enough to develop a technique.

Dude I always eat stuff all at once. When I used to get meals at fast food joints, I'd always eat the entire burger first, then the fries.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm 

But when you do that, you’re not eating a burger and fries. You’re eating a burger. Then, you’re eating fries.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm 

The only true way to eat a burger and fries is to put the fries on the burger.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 pm 

Just use one of those cob holders as a stick and eat the corn and the cob together like a popsicle.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am 

Made the mistake of leaving an apple crisp to cool on the window in my kitchen which is overlooked by a oak tree. Corn on the cub is great and all, but I can't say the same for acorn on the cobbler.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 am 

How come you Americanos have a dude called Wolf motherfucking Blitzer on TV and he's the most boring asshole on the planet?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 am 

The secret to television news is: don't watch it. Any of it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
How come you Americanos have a dude called Wolf motherfucking Blitzer on TV and he's the most boring asshole on the planet?

He might be super badass in private, that's my logic behind it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 am 

How do you even blitz a wolf?

Also, if Britney spears and Wesley snipes, Wesley probably wins due to longer effective range.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm 

Grammatically, it's obvious that it means a blitzer that is a wolf. It's Wolf Blitzer, not Wolf-Blitzer.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 pm 

Napero wrote:
Derigin wrote:

That's such a anti-caveman fancy-ass way of eating corn that it probably exposes one to cancer. But probably a good way of showing that your family has lived in furnished rooms for a few centuries longer than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB-H6f3crY

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:09 pm 

I realized today that being vaccinated increases the risk of getting Alzheimer's. Simply because you're likely to live long enough to get it.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Having Long Island Ice Teas and tequila shots in one night is not a good idea. That is all.

Long Island Ice Teas? Mate I'm good with one for the night. Just tried my first last week, it was absolutely delicious.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:53 pm 

Napero wrote:
I realized today that being vaccinated increases the risk of getting Alzheimer's. Simply because you're likely to live long enough to get it.

Yes, you can easily offset it by being a smoker, for example.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm 

Suicide is also an effective vaccination.

I marvel today that I have more peanut butter n' jelly sandwiches today than I did as a child, when I deemed the combination inferior to apples dipped in peanut butter or crackers topped with peanut butter, or the insulin-ejaculate that is straight jelly on heavily-processed white bread...wait. I started this with the intention of arguing that the PBnJ's ubiquity in school lunchrooms might speak to the dietary wisdom of children. Never mind.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gaylord/3540443796

So I take it anti-fascist black metal as a movement is a thing now? I can roll with this.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gaylord/3540443796

So I take it anti-fascist black metal as a movement is a thing now? I can roll with this.

Trololololololol

There are quite a lot "left-winged" black metal bands here in Germany. They usually don't use it as their main lyrical theme though.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

I was just curious of the prequel to the post. I don't disparage venting to the void of the internet. Even if no one listens, it can at least be therapeutic to feel like you at least got something off your chest. Trying to find the "right place" to say it, sometimes, is just aggravation you don't need.

That said, I have also met a lot of great people in recent years that I consider some of the best I've known. I've changed a lot of views, outlooks, and understandings of people, issue, and the like. At one point a year ago, I was casually thinking about it during the drive to work, and had a momentary backlash about the changes. Have I given up who I am? Have I fundamentally changed myself--had I sold out--to be accepted by other people? But I hadn't. I had just grown the fuck up. I had just learned to accept and understand other people, at least I hoped I had.

On the other hand, when I think about the great people in my life and how good I generally have it, I end up wondering why anyone bothers to put up with me, because I can't imagine they get anything good out of this association. So I'm always wondering when they realize I'm not worth their time. Anyway, congratulations on your post-cretinship. It would seem that my life is actually in a very good place, in general, even if I am routinely not happy with it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

It is really good to read that, Resident. Thank you.

Things have turned around really well and rather suddenly, actually. A close relative who had been sent to the hospital with meningitis recovered and is back home, and I started dating a wonderful woman, among other things. So, things are better now. Much better.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 332  Next