Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:48 pm 

I thought El Camino was a bit underwhelming. It really didn't add much to the story, the characters were way off in the flashbacks and overall it didn't feel satisfying or rewarding. It was just OK I guess.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm 

El Camino was good, but not amazing.

Spoiler: show
I appreciate it as closure and assurance that Jesse got a real chance at a new start. The final scene with Jane is my favorite part of the movie for that reason.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:24 pm 

I just started watching What We Do in the Shadows and I am -smitten-. Only 2 episodes in and I had to do some charcoal fanart of Laszlo, my boy, my bias. My BAT!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:32 pm 

So I just watched episode 7 of season 6 of Better Call Saul. I won't discuss the plot, but it is the episode that saved the season so far. It's a 10/10, just as good as any Breaking Bad episode of the same caliber. The season has been a bit too slow for my taste, especially since it's the final one, but this episode made it worth it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:25 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I just started watching What We Do in the Shadows and I am -smitten-. Only 2 episodes in and I had to do some charcoal fanart of Laszlo, my boy, my bias. My BAT!

What We Do in the Shadows is great. Just remember to watch the film first if you still haven't.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pm 

The whole new BCS season has been flawless in my opinion. Their best stuff - cinematic, so fucking artful. It's never looked better visually and directing-wise and the writing is just immaculate.

Barry is still good - this latest ep was the best of the season so far, seems to finally really be getting going now that the table-setting is done. The other four eps have been strong but occasionally uneven, like the show was trying to find its way somewhere.

Hacks is very solid - there's nothing really flashy about it, just really strong acting and writing.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:54 pm 

Yeah the new BCS season has been flawless so far. The slow build up made the gut punch that is episode 7 hit way harder than it would have otherwise. It's the cinematic equivalent of a perfectly slow cooked pot roast.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The whole new BCS season has been flawless in my opinion. Their best stuff - cinematic, so fucking artful. It's never looked better visually and directing-wise and the writing is just immaculate.
cosigned. It's been as good as anything on BB and is the best season of BCS so far, and I'm not your biggest BB world fan. I do, however, think the ending of this episode was messy and not up to par with the rest of the season. Writing is a very, incredibly difficult thing to do well, and ending a story, or arc, is the hardest of it all. It's why endings of even great shows are not total shit maybe 1% of the time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:13 pm 

Well this wasn't the end of the season - they just split it off here for whatever TV reasons.

Regardless, apparently they've said what happens next hinges a lot on the ending of that last ep, so I'm sure it'll pay off.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235152684/

(spoilers in there though)

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well this wasn't the end of the season - they just split it off here for whatever TV reasons.
I understood that as I was watching. I still think it was haphazard, but hey, maybe it will prove me wrong. I hope so. I'm a willful participant in suspending disbelief, but sometimes with the minutiae, things get too convenient for the overall good.

One thing that bothers me a little...and I do mean: a little...with the BB world are the nods to past episodes and whatnot. Like playing music in episode Y because it was played in episode X with the same director ten years ago on the original series. I know the audience thinks it creates this complex weave of details, but geez, it's not really that difficult or complex to repeat details in similar situations or whatever. it's fun to keep your mind on top of things, but eh, it's an illusion of master chess.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 pm 

The setup to the ending of the ep could be hackneyed, but I have faith they will really follow through and make it make a lot of sense with what's gonna happen.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:18 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I understood that as I was watching. I still think it was haphazard, but hey, maybe it will prove me wrong. I hope so. I'm a willful participant in suspending disbelief, but sometimes with the minutiae, things get too convenient for the overall good.

If it turns out the only reason given for Lalo going to Jimmy's and Kim's place is him seeing the cockroach and thinking of Jimmy (he referred to Jimmy as la cucaracha back in season 5) it wouldn't be too haphazard if that's what you're pointing at. And I'm sure we'll find out what sprang into Lalo's mind when he saw the cockroach skitter past. If it's just the timing - both of them showing up at the same time then sure I can see your point, but I didn't mind it. Coincidences are real and if they're used sparingly not immersion breaking.

In this case it's a classic example of not being able to account for every possibility and mistake. Kim did not tell Jimmy that Lalo lived, with terrible consequences. If Jimmy knew he would have likely contacted Mike who would have told Jimmy to lay low for now, pausing the plan for sure. Or at least they wouldn't have stayed at their place where both Lalo and Howard knew where to find them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm 

I am guessing Lalo wants Jimmy to help out with something about getting into the laundry place, or something with that whole plot. But knowing this show it could be a total curveball what he's planning. I always enjoy seeing the weird schemes these writers come up with.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:01 pm 

raumr wrote:
So I just watched episode 7 of season 6 of Better Call Saul. I won't discuss the plot, but it is the episode that saved the season so far. It's a 10/10, just as good as any Breaking Bad episode of the same caliber. The season has been a bit too slow for my taste, especially since it's the final one, but this episode made it worth it.
Yup; I mean, I still prefer its parent show somewhat, but that really was one of the best cliffhangers to have happened in either series , and a far cry from the days of season two, where the cliffhanger at the end of that season was merely
the reveal that Chuck had Jimmy's confession on tape; that was like a normal ep cliffhanger, or a mid-season one at best, if you ask me.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:11 pm 

Yeah, Better Call Saul has been a slow burner all throughout its life as a series. That mid-season finale was absolutely great. I guess no one expected it as they've been diverting us to one direction and then they throw us to another.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 pm 

I can't get enough of that kinda slow burn. I'm more interested in that these days than extreme fast action stuff.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 pm 

Oh yeah for sure. Don't let my remark about the show being a bit too slow in this season make you think I want it any different. BB was slow as well, especially in season 1, but that was necessary to build the characters and their relationships so that when things got intense, it really felt like it mattered.

For example, when the twins attacked Hank I think I held my breath for 5 minutes straight. I have never been more afraid for someone in a TV show. And that was due to seasons worth of slow character build.

The same goes for Howard. I felt genuinely bad to see him die, and that was a result of him being one of the main characters for so long.

I just think they spent too much time on characters we already know the situation of in BB. That said, the season is still ongoing, so I might be proven wrong. Those are just my running criticisms.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 pm 

Episode 3 of Strange New Worlds just wasn't super compelling.*

Episode 4, however, is undoubtedly the best episode of modern Star Trek that I've seen. Fantastic stuff.**

*An obvious Covid allegory really isn't a super interesting episode concept to begin with, and the idea of people bashing their heads through glass to get closer to the light like fucking moths is very silly.

**Episode 4 more than makes up for it though! Bringing back the Gorn is a cool idea, the PTSD narrative works well, and the build up of tension is very well done. Even though I wanted to see the Gorn appear on screen, I respect the hell out of them for not actually doing it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:30 am 

I really dug the first 4 seasons of BCS but have been a bit bored with these last 2 seasons. It still has it's moments and I liked the mid season finale except for
Howards murder
which seemed unnecessary and shocking for the sake of being shocking. It seemed like a pretty lazy and lame way to end that storyline, tho the immediate repercussions of it may prove very entertaining.

Edit: lt was actually the first 4 seasons I liked in paricular. Lost track of what season was what with all these huge breaks between seasons, not to mention splitting seasons into 2 bloody parts these days.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Sat May 28, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:43 pm 

Finished the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Disneywars renaissance continues.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:24 pm 

My 2 cents on BCS - the first half of s6 has been great so far, very much a slow burner but I got the sense throughout all of it that it was all building to something and not just going nowhere with it all. The finale was important since it was the payoff of all of that...

And it nailed it imo. Howard's murder took me by surprise completely. Even at the point that Lalo was attaching the silencer to the gun I had no clue what was coming. Also loved Howard's monologue about how Jimmy and Kim are soulless too. In hindsight tho I somewhat regret getting to the cliffhanger now as opposed to waiting until early July when the first ep of the back half of the season drops; I'm v much curious as to how this scenario gets resolved. Not sure whether to spoiler this bit too but I may as well since I'm alrady here - I'm desperate to know how Kim's arc gets resolved too, since obviously she isn't in BB; and doesn't Saul make some references to an ex-wife in BB too?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:18 am 

We ran through Shoresy last night.

As far as spinoffs go, this wasn't too bad. It was great seeing Jared Keeso flesh out the Shoresy schtick, making him more than just a trash-talking hockey player on the side whose face you never see, and I loved getting to see Laurence LeBoeuf in the few episodes she was in. It isn't anywhere near as good as the main show (Letterkenny), but it shows promise. I really appreciated there being a season-wide plot as opposed to the aimless happenings of the main show.

I'm looking forward to more.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:25 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Finished the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Disneywars renaissance continues.

Yup. Very good start to the series.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:24 pm 

Obi-Wan was rough to watch after Stranger Things. The plotting, acting, directing, action, the humour... It makes Obi-Wan look so goddamn lame and amateurish.

This is really the best Disney can do with Star Wars? :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm 

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the future episodes. About it being the best Disney can do: they don't have a particularly high bar to clear and all the new TV series have beat the sequel trilogy.

That being said, if we continue to see more of this lead Inquisitor character, I think she's gonna drag the series down a lot. She continues the Star Wars tradition of having whiny and insufferably immature villians that are just cringy to watch, after Kylo Ren and Hayden Christensen Anakin Skywalker. Except this Inquisitor has an added layer of smugness. Speaking of Hayden Christensen, I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles playing Darth Vader again after 20 years. I certainly hope that he's learned how to deliver lines in a non-wooden fashion in that time period. Then again, while he hamstrung the prequels with his horrid acting, he did do "I don't like sand". That's worth commending just for the memes.

I really enjoy how broken and traumatized Obi-Wan is in the first episode, and even in the second one, as he's nearly forgotten how to use the Force and even carries a blaster - a weapon that he was previously depicted as disliking heavily. They nailed it with how much he's affected by the humiliation and loss of the Jedi, and the loss of Anakin more than anything. He really believes that Anakin is gone, but that cliffhanger at the end where he learns that he still exists, just as Vader... yeah, the next episode's gonna be interesting.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:32 pm 

Watched the new season of Stranger Things over the weekend. Great stuff as usual. Looking forward to pt2 beginning early July.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:19 pm 

Yeah, I enjoyed Obi Wan Kenobi too. People will like it 'coz it's a popular character from the original Star Wars trilogy and hopefully it fills in the gap between the end of the prequel and the start of the original trilogies. Young Leia is sassy and intelligent as she was as an adult and we'll get to see young Luke soon. And we'll soon see more of Anakin soon.

I only watched 3.5 episodes of Stranger Things not because it was boring (it's not!) but because I was tired. I can totally relate with the whole 'satanic panic' shtick that happened in the mid-80s. Even here in the country that was prevalent. News of kids being abducted and made into living sacrifices by satanic cults. A newspaper here even posted a composite drawing of a 'satanist' and it looked more like a goofy looking punk with a mohawk.

Three and a half episodes in and I can't believe how the writers make the characters dumber than what they were before. Like
when El hit the girl with a roller skate and got arrested for it, no one among her friends actually stepped in and explained that she was being bullied which triggered her to do it. Heck, there were more than 50 people who saw how she was bullied and humiliated in the middle of the skating rink.

And then Joyce flies off to Alaska to pay ransom to free Hopper. She leaves her stoner kid to look over her other kids. Yup, that's what a responsible adult does in
that situation. And where the hell does she get $40,000 dollars in a span of 2 days? I may have missed it but did they suddenly get rich after the events of season 3?
. But then again, it's just 3 and a half episodes I've watched. Other than that, I like the new monster baddie and ofcourse I like the new character Eddie and his sweet denim vest with a Dio back patch.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:41 pm 

I liked episodes 1 and 2 of Obi-Wan. I will watch the series with great interest! I'm a millennial with a huge prequel nostalgia.

My only complaint is
The chase scenes with young Leia. The way she outran two adults in a straight line and they got caught in the forest environment. It was like a comedy sketch. Also Obi-Wan teleported down from that roof...

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:26 pm 

raumr wrote:
I liked episodes 1 and 2 of Obi-Wan. I will watch the series with great interest! I'm a millennial with a huge prequel nostalgia.

My only complaint is
The chase scenes with young Leia. The way she outran two adults in a straight line and they got caught in the forest environment. It was like a comedy sketch. Also Obi-Wan teleported down from that roof...

Hmm, now that you mention it...
...that does seem a little weird. The second one wouldn't be weird if Obi-Wan hadn't al but forgotten how to use the Force, as he could be down there in no time at all with Force-assisted parkour. About the bounty hunters: I didn't expect to see Flea as their leader!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:57 am 

Chase on Alderaan: 0/10, only cringe, totally unnecessary, kinda like the power rangers on Bobba.

Τhird Sister: 4/10 - Not only the permanent tantrum mode is annoying, it doesn't suit a force user just like it didn't suit Kylo.

Alderaan: 7/10 (10/10 for the natural photography, 4/10 for the digital stuff that reminded me of the prequels in a bad way or some generic sci-fi series.)

Grand Inquisitor: 9/10 (prolly just a flesh wound)

Senator Organa: 9/10 (not a ten because there was something off with the de-aging/de-fattening that was distracting in some stellar scenes.)

Haja: 9/10. Genuine laugh moments, a splash of Han Solo.

Leia 10/10. Kudos to the kid! Did not remind me of any of the other SW kids (like Anaking, Omega, Ezra, etc). She was a a young, stubborn and sassy Leia, with a Forceful mind. When she said she was sorry when Obi was talking about her mother, that got me.

Lola 10/10, continuing the flawless streak of droids.

But even if all of the above were a -10:

Εwan 11/10 - PERFECT.

The moment he said "Anakin", as in the first time in ten years it crossed his mind to reach out for him with the Force - and the cut/"msg received", made every hair on my body to stand.

I think my biggest complaint when I exited the Phantom Menace premiere (and I had a lot) was that my favorite character was killed. I can't wait for the reunion.

I've hated on the prequels and sequels plenty generally. The TV shows, despite their respective issues (so what) are making me the happiest I've been with Star Wars since 1997 when I was caught by surprise with this. Great time for SW.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:47 am 

Yeah I found that forest chase scene funny too.
Three adults getting outrun by a child!

Another thing that I found funny was
that roof fight scene. The Third Sister saw the laser fight from afar and started making her way to Obi Wan's location. And then Young Leia falls, Obi Wan breaks her fall and manages to go down from the roof to the back alley where Leia went down and yet the Third Sister still hadn't made it to where Obi Wan was. She is damn slow! :D

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:04 am 

Watched Obi Wan and Stranger Things - just the first episode for both. So far (if we can even call it that) I prefer ST, but Obi Wan is decent too. The chase in the forest was badly edited, I feel, and seeing grown ups trip in the forest was a bit wild, but the rest of the episode made up for it.

For ST, the actors are OBVIOUSLY not kids anymore, and it's a bit weird, but I guess it's not worse than Sam Raimi's Spiderman with a Flash looking like he's in his mid 20s... The ending of the episode was a bit predictable but still creepy and brutal. Honestly I'd watch a show about the D&D and high school adventures of these characters, the monsters and mysteries are just the cherry.
Erica vs Vecna, that was something, lol.

Also I could have sworn
I'd seen a scene in the trailers with a character being gifted the 2nd edition book, but the story is set in 1986, so unless they do some timey wimey wibbly wibbly stuff, I guess I must have dreamed that. Also both me and my girlfriend thought we had actually seen Hopper in Russia in the post-credit scene... Mandela effect, I guess!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:05 am 

Stranger Things shouldn't have been this long and the new season so far is bloated and over-written, but fun in spite of itself anyway.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:19 pm 

Sins of the Amish

shit is stark. I think one episode is enough. Another religion treating women and children like pin cushions.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 pm 

Any fans of Resident Alien here? Just finished pt1 of season 2. I really dig this comedy. Alan Tudyk is brilliant as the alien and the rest of the characters are all excellent too. Neat story with a good heart to it and the comedy can get pretty dark at times, which I enjoy. Pt2 of season 2 seems like its gonna be the end for this little gem. Better to burn out than fade away.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:09 pm 

Just finished the 7 episodes of Stranger Things. Really good watch, although the episodes do go on a bit sometimes.
Judas Maiden wrote:
And then Joyce flies off to Alaska to pay ransom to free Hopper. She leaves her stoner kid to look over her other kids. Yup, that's what a responsible adult does in
that situation. And where the hell does she get $40,000 dollars in a span of 2 days? I may have missed it but did they suddenly get rich after the events of season 3?

If I recall correctly, Joyce mentioned there being a trust fund that Hopper set up for 11 / Jane. I think he might have discussed it with the Russian guard, which is why they have the exact amount he requests.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 pm 

Obi Wan ep3 was possibly even worse than the first two. The scene with you-know-who in the village was badass and well executed.... but everything else was hot garbage, ESPECIALLY the final confrontation. Just a complete clusterfuck of directing and editing. No performance, no atmosphere, no action, what should have been a compelling and entertaining moment was just a complete wet fart. It felt like watching a Youtube fan movie, not gonna lie. That's how bad it was, I'm not really exaggerating.

I can't believe this is the best they can do Disney's infinite money. As I said earlier, Stranger Things runs soooo many circles around it in just about every aspect, it's not even funny. Like it's night and day lol

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:28 pm 

^
I actually completely agree, to be honest. I'm not even really sure why I'm watching it. I guess I just thought, hey, it'd be nice to see Ewan McGregor get some half decent or even passable Star Wars content after the prequels, but holy shit have they fucked this up. Every line of dialogue makes me wince, every forced story beat makes me facepalm. There's basically been nothing redeeming so far, and yeah, the end of episode three was just such a gigantic blunder of potential. At this point I'm probably just gonna carry on to see how much shittier it can get. This is absolutely prequels bad at this point.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:30 pm 

The Boys season 3 kicked off last week with the first 3 episodes. It's as funny and gory as ever. We got a glimpse of Soldier Boy, their version of Captain America, but a stupid and bungling one. They have a wide expanse of material to draw influence from and make parodies of and we can see more of that this season.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:11 pm 

Really enjoyed the first half of the new Stranger Things season. I thought the first three episodes were just a smidge unfocused setting up all the different storylines but when they got going they got going.

Minor ultimately unimportant gripe with the last episode:

Why didn't the parents/cops take one of the other non tire-stabbed cars to easily catch up to the kids? Seems like an obvious oversight that shouldn't have been there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 182  Next