* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

The original Fort Max was not produced in high numbers because of the sheer size of the character, meaning the potential markets for parents to buy him back in the day, were limited. I've seen Fort Max priced up to $500, loose. The new Fortress Maximus edges him (and the last Metroplex) out as the largest Transformers figure.

Transformers, in general, though, have a pretty dedicated collector's market. It doesn't take long for figures to skyrocket in after-market prices. Particularly in the Generations lines, which are targeted toward adult collectors. As they also tend not to have an associated movie or TV show, they're produced in much lower numbers.

I'm more using Transformers as an example.

More the point that you gotta understand your market.

Gotcha. I prefer those who don't understand or care about the market, which generally means you get lower prices. Especially in garage sales. The worst people are those that think they do, and clearly understand even less. Like that woman I ran into selling a "Nintendo" (original Playstation) for something like $50 along with "many games," which were all sports titles with approximately no value.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm 

hey I did a thing

New Cosmic Atrophy song!!1 :wanker: :headbang:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:03 pm 

Resident Hazard wrote:
Gotcha. I prefer those who don't understand or care about the market, which generally means you get lower prices. Especially in garage sales. The worst people are those that think they do, and clearly understand even less. Like that woman I ran into selling a "Nintendo" (original Playstation) for something like $50 along with "many games," which were all sports titles with approximately no value.

No value? Man, there's a market for everything! If this woman's trying to unload obsolete sports games, please tell me you have her contact info :) Hell, I was still penalty-killing my way to the Stanley Cup on the backs of Magnus Arvedson and Steve Moore well into the 2010s.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm 

Killing on the back of Steve Moore? :(

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm 

Poor choice of words on my part. I thought keeping him on my team was a nice tribute though. A very good defensive forward.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Resident Hazard wrote:

No value? Man, there's a market for everything! If this woman's trying to unload obsolete sports games, please tell me you have her contact info :) Hell, I was still penalty-killing my way to the Stanley Cup on the backs of Magnus Arvedson and Steve Moore well into the 2010s.

With rare exception*, sports games from the 16-bit era on tend to be annualized titles with little value to them and large production numbers. So, on a collectors market, nothing very interesting. They tend to turn into shelf clutter in this day and age where classic games markets are concerned. Some systems, like the ill-fated Sega Saturn, were absolutely crammed with sports games, making collecting a headache, particularly if, like me, you have no interest in sports games as a whole, let alone in collecting.

*There is a basketball game on the GameCube, for instance, that became a collector's item due to being delivered in very low production numbers because of low hardware sales and the early decline of the console. In some cases, specific sports franchises are more sought-after than others. Like the old Sega Sports line-up before Sega went third party, and EA and 2K took over 95% of sports games. There are also stand-alone sports titles, like the two Ken Griffey Jr games Nintendo made when they owned the Mariners and had access to Ken Griffey Jr. Remember when Nintendo made realistic sports games that weren't watered-down and crammed with Mario? Believe it or not, it happened. A very long time ago.

But for the most part, sports games are after-market clutter. Like when you go to a pawn shop and flip through the CDs and you have to pass by 37 OMC "How Bizarre" disks to find something that might be worth buying. You also get to flip through 59 Madden games.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm 

top 5 all time band name

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:44 pm 

I was expecting this silly pun.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm 

Markets are weird sometimes. Two French brandies, of similar ages and crafted in essentially the same fashion, can have either a dollar value of $15 or of $500, and the entire basis of that price decision comes from whether a specific word is printed on the bottle.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 pm 

Well, that was a colossal waste of half my evening. Walk 30 minutes to work, work 30 minutes before getting cut, and wait over an hour for a cab. I'm salty.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 pm 

I feel it. I don't have a car right now because I sold mine before moving to Cleveland. Now I live in the middle of nowhere and occasionally have to walk two miles one way just to get a pack of smokes. I can legitimately tell my grandchildren about the many times I had to walk four miles in the snow just to get cigarettes.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:51 am 

Today's February 2nd

As Ozzy would say, it's imbolic of course

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:12 pm 

I listened to that "Hammer Smashed Face in Major Key" rearrangement again today and decided to see if there were others like it. This one is amusing:

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I listened to that "Hammer Smashed Face in Major Key" rearrangement again today and decided to see if there were others like it. This one is amusing:

The visuals compliment the music perfectly. Awesome.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 pm 

Is it just me or does every Discogs seller lowball the price of everything they sell anymore? I've seen so many rare cd's on eBay for high amounts but then I'll check Discogs and it's sold for not even close to what it was on eBay. I know eBay has a much larger platform but still.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:22 pm 

I think it's more that ebay sellers hugely overcharge for everything.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 pm 

They do overcharge on eBay but sometimes people on Discogs completely ignore the previously sold for statistic when listing. You see a lot of albums that sold for $40-50 numerous times but people have since came along and listed copies for $10 for no apparent reason. It's a great thing if you're wanting to buy, but not necessarily if you want to sell your copy.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 am 

I applied for a new job last week, but was rejected based on salary requirements. It was for a Game Producer position, and I'm not clear if I requested too high (don't think I did), or if I low-balled it and made myself look under-qualified or under-experienced. Would've been pretty much a perfect job for me, too. It's exactly what I want to be doing.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I applied for a new job last week, but was rejected based on salary requirements. It was for a Game Producer position, and I'm not clear if I requested too high (don't think I did), or if I low-balled it and made myself look under-qualified or under-experienced. Would've been pretty much a perfect job for me, too. It's exactly what I want to be doing.

Is it possible to find out where you went wrong? Maybe give them a call if you think the job was perfect for you - worth a shot.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Is it possible to find out where you went wrong? Maybe give them a call if you think the job was perfect for you - worth a shot.

I looked up average pay for the position and I might have over-shot it, so I'm thinking I'll reapply tonight. I also sent them an email separately to see if they could give me insight on what they were looking for, in the event they can divulge that information.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am 

Would you really want a job that tells you your payment request was too high though? I'm genuinely curious - unless it was something obviously outrageous, do you want a job that's going to tell you no, we'll pay you less?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm 

That Cosmic Atrophy song is sick! Very interesting stuff.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:33 pm 

Ten days later, I finally summoned up the courage to finish off my bag of Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper tortilla chips. Hint: hoping that the onset of staleness will lessen the brutality of their spiciness, doesn't work. Then I went to the company's website and apparently there's something worse - the Carolina Reaper chip which is sold individually supposedly because that's all anyone can handle :oh shit: Good lord... I enjoy the "spice high", but not at the cost of it being uncomfortable to pronounce "s" and "th" for the next four days.

Also, has MA gotten rid of that hiding-behind-the-couch smilie? I liked that one!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Would you really want a job that tells you your payment request was too high though? I'm genuinely curious - unless it was something obviously outrageous, do you want a job that's going to tell you no, we'll pay you less?

I think it's more that I have a misunderstanding of what the position in general pays. When I Googled average pay for that position, it was below my included requirements. My requirements, by the way, were way above what I'm making now. I think I took a "why not?" attitude, since I already have a decent job, and put what would be great to make, stupidly, not thinking to check for an average pay for said position.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 pm 

Ah well it happens. I suppose they have to maintain some control of it... I've had such varying levels of pay over the years that it's almost a weird concept to me to have a set pay for a job, I guess.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 pm 

I was listening to the disco album 'Four on the floor' with Glenn Hughes moonlighting as vocalist.. my wife asked me.. "So all of a sudden you're into Michael Jackson ?"

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am 

I got a pay raise for the first time in my life at the restaurant I'm currently working at. It's not much, but it was still kind of cool.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 am 

kalervon wrote:
I was listening to the disco album 'Four on the floor' with Glenn Hughes moonlighting as vocalist.. my wife asked me.. "So all of a sudden you're into Michael Jackson ?"

Isn't everyone into Michael Jackson? :scratch:

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
I got a pay raise for the first time in my life at the restaurant I'm currently working at. It's not much, but it was still kind of cool.

Nice one man. I'm about to get an extra 50p too. Money like that adds up over time and I'd rather have 50p more than 50p less.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ah well it happens. I suppose they have to maintain some control of it... I've had such varying levels of pay over the years that it's almost a weird concept to me to have a set pay for a job, I guess.

My pay had varied a bit, but in general, each job I get, I gradually go up. I would only take a cut if it was exactly my dream job and I was working for myself.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

:lol: Y'all hear about this? A Girl Guide in San Diego chose an unusual place to peddle her cookies - on the sidewalk outside the marihuana dispensary... and sold over 300 boxes in a couple hours. Gotta know your target market!
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opi ... story.html

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm 

Just seen Discharge perform live. FUCK. Just... FUCK.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Just when you thought you had heard it all, youtube delivers again.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm 

You guys will think I'm crazy, but here goes: over this past summer, I infiltrated a very large Facebook group for scientologists using my real name/real profile, with my "About Me" publicly stating that I'm an aspiring writer. After I was accepted into the group, I changed my profile picture to that of Tom Cruise laughing. Sure enough, a couple months later, I got a letter in the mail saying that a police database in my county was hacked and my information may have been leaked. Now, the Church of Scientology has been well-documented for stalking people who make them look bad. Also, recently, a scientologist was busted for hiring a hacker to compromise a journalist's email accounts.

Furthermore, I just sent a join request to that group and I have yet to be accepted. I believe my name has been blacklisted by the organization cult. I really do believe they hacked the database to find dirt on me, because that's exactly what they're known for doing. And this database is in a rural county that's in the middle of nowhere, so who else would have done such a thing?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
You guys will think I'm crazy, but here goes: over this past summer, I infiltrated a very large Facebook group for scientologists using my real name/real profile, with my "About Me" publicly stating that I'm an aspiring writer. After I was accepted into the group, I changed my profile picture to that of Tom Cruise laughing. Sure enough, a couple months later, I got a letter in the mail saying that a police database in my county was hacked and my information may have been leaked. Now, the Church of Scientology has been well-documented for stalking people who make them look bad. Also, recently, a scientologist was busted for hiring a hacker to compromise a journalist's email accounts.

Furthermore, I just sent a join request to that group and I have yet to be accepted. I believe my name has been blacklisted by the organization cult. I really do believe they hacked the database to find dirt on me, because that's exactly what they're known for doing. And this database is in a rural county that's in the middle of nowhere, so who else would have done such a thing?

Wow, you're so interesting.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:02 pm 

There are numerous cases of them stalking and harassing people simply for leaving the church...

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm 

nah.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 am 

Actually, Scientologists are indeed a bunch of creepy, stalking nutcases when it comes to people who leave or try to discredit their little sect.

With that said... yeah, I'm not buying that either.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 am 

Just remembered two things, when reading this thread...

Look closely...
Spoiler: show

and this classic:
Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 am 

The Sarcofago one caught me off guard :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 332  Next