Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:48 am 

Man I remember Saturday Night Wrist getting shat on a bit when it came out, but by my measure, it's by far the best Deftones album. I got into this album when it came out in highschool before I knew anything about stuff like shoegaze and what not, and I was always enamoured by the atmospheric and spacey sound they went with on this one. Besides Pink Cellphone, almost all the songs on here are amazing.

Also, before the year is out, I'm plowing thru as many albums that I've meant to listen to before but haven't gotten around to: The Krallice albums are great, especially Go Be Forgotten, Ever Circling Wolves put out a pretty great one too and the newest Boris album has some amazing songs, and some more mediocre ones too. Really disappointed by Afterbirth, though.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Shush you. Shoddy translation aside Castle in the Sky is the second best Miyazaki film! It is known.

Eh, I would argue the positions for #1 & 2 is a fight between Nausicaa (despite the fact technically it wasn't a Ghibli film, but the whole arguement on that is splitting hairs, let's call it one.) and Princess Mononoke. Idk, I mainly watched Castle in the Sky for the references. I'd rather watch Spirited Away, Kiki or Only Yesterday instead, personally.

Also, fuck, the coyotes have been hungry lately. Can hear them howling over mah weeb shit.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 am 

Castle in the Sky is my #1 official Ghibli film, whereas Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro is my outright favorite Miyazaki film...if we're not counting the short film, On Your Mark, that is.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am 

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 pm 

How the hell has Castle in the Sky not held up? Doesn't that imply it's aged badly in some way? I rewatched it less than a month ago for the first time in a few years and it's every bit the masterpiece I remembered it was. Loveable characters, beautiful visuals, exciting story, incredible setting, wonderfully thought-provoking messages = Ghibli perfection.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 pm 

I tried to watch Totoro but ended up sleeping through most of it. I loved what I saw but it's like 70% heartwarming, wordless montages. I was out.

Spirited Away is probably my favorite of the handful I've seen. I'm super excited to watch Nausicaa.

Last edited by Jonpo on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm 

If you liked Spirited Away more than Totoro, you'll definitely like Nausicaa as much or more. A lot more movement and action and the condition of man and less heartwarming kids.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:47 pm 

Nausicaa is a pretty great film, but many of the characters feel a little too much like ideologies masquerading as people instead of fleshed-out human beings like in Miyazaki's other films. It's up there in the pantheon.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:14 am 

Damn. Near -40C with windchill outside.

Weather like this makes one focus on the necessities. For instance, I'd really enjoy a glass of cola right now and I have none in the fridge. But I don't really fancy going out and risk losing my fingers to frostbite, so I shall drink water instead.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 am 

Yeah, it's like 3F where I live and I'm torn between going out for a smoke or staying inside to avoid hypothermia.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 am 

Come to Australia. Nice and warm here this time of year.

Only a couple of hours left of the year here. I was invited to a cocktail party but have had to pull out due to some mystery illness that I've copped the last few days. So instead I'll kick back and wait for the cops to break up the party my idiot neighbours who can't control their alcohol-fuelled rage are having.

Looking ahead, I have a really bad feeling about 2018. Can't pinpoint why.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:03 pm 

I got asked by a dude from the previous boxing club to hang out with him and his friends. Since i dont drink and they'd get wasted i decided to skip though.

Any of you got some serious resolutions? Mine would be to work on my conscientiousness - something that i'd benefit a lot from.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm 

I'm sick as fuck which makes me feel a lot better about not having any plans for nye

resolutions: kick coke for good, stop fucking my life up, be healthy

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm 

My resolutions are to quit smoking, lose about 25 pounds, and continue building muscle.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I'm sick as fuck which makes me feel a lot better about not having any plans for nye

resolutions: kick coke for good, stop fucking my life up, be healthy

Dope sick or just under the weather?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Any of you got some serious resolutions? Mine would be to work on my conscientiousness - something that i'd benefit a lot from.

That's a good resolution, and one I should do, too. I tend to just get lazy and not accomplish much, but with more conscientiousness, that could change.

I need to lose weight. I say that every year but I've really started to balloon. I have a trip to Queensland on the 10th so after that I really have to try to eat healthier and fit into some pants that no longer fit. I also might have to look for a new job (out of necessity), plus I'll finish my undergrad studies this year. I would like to move out, too. 2018 might be a transition year for me. I can't see all of this working out, though. Eh.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pm 

It'll all work out. You'd be surprised how much your life can change for the better in just a matter of months.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:33 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Dope sick or just under the weather?

Just sick thankfully. Drinking was a bad choice lol

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:44 am 

Ten years ago it was blackgaze and deathcore, now it's dissoblack and caverncore... Happy new year, MA.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:54 am 

Having some kind of a relationship, and I'm so happy. The last one was back when the Nazarene was crucified (or impaled). Her whole persona brings light to my miserable life.

Fucking rockets kept me awake most of the night...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:
colin040 wrote:

That's a good resolution, and one I should do, too. I tend to just get lazy and not accomplish much, but with more conscientiousness, that could change.

Did this big 5 test some months ago and I scored quite low in that area, although not as low as in neuroticism. :lol: I do think being very flexible and going with the flow can be useful in certain situations, but being able to creature structure for myself, especially when it comes down to my studies, is something that I know I'll be grateful for.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Ten years ago it was blackgaze and deathcore, now it's dissoblack and caverncore... Happy new year, MA.

Well, it's an improvement! We will remember those times fondly when the years of Blacksynth and Melodjent wil arrive :) Happy new year!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:05 pm 

My resolution was to hang out on Twitter less and to eat less sugary foods. The former's going pretty well, but the latter... oh well. :D Happy new year all.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:00 pm 

Great resolutions! Twitter is 100% a waste of time and nearly everyone could eat less sugary food. :)

I just listened to Borknagar's first full-length, and I ranked the songs as I listened to them. If you disagree with this ranking, then you're a contrarian by default :P :

Vintervredets sjelesang
Dauden
Grimskalle trell
Svartskogs gilde
Fandens allheim
Krigsstev
Nord naagauk
Ved steingard
Tanker mot tind (Kvelding)
Tanket mot tind (Gryning)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 am 

rexxz wrote:
The reason is puns. Judas Priest puns.

I tried starting this entry last year but i guess my pun was inferior. Was removed and then this one was started shortly thereafter.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm 

I'm unsure if this would be more suitable for a post in the Musicians or Promotional forum, but if any musicians wanted to put their stuff on spotify and all that then you oughtta sign up for this site totally free https://routenote.com/

I have a referral code too

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am 

Blecccchhh back to work after nearly two weeks off over the holidays. Took an extra day because I frankly did not feel like working yesterday and spent it with my girlfriend instead, as she worked in the evening. Time off is never long enough. All in all, a pretty great holiday. A mostly garbage year ends on a high note. Girlfriend moves in with me in less than two weeks. At least on this front, this year is already looking better.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm 

I'm walking through a mall, coming across this store front
Spoiler: show

Walking in .. expecting the likes of...

But in reality..

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/singer ... nto-japan/

So it's official that 2018 isn't a real year either?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/singer-for-iron-maiden-cover-band-powerclown-charged-with-smuggling-5-5-million-worth-of-drugs-into-japan/

So it's official that 2018 isn't a real year either?

Judge: Does the defendant have any final words?

Singer: I'm not a prisoner, I'm a free man!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 am 

kalervon wrote:
I'm walking through a mall, coming across this store front

Walking in .. expecting the likes of...

But in reality..

This has given me a couple rounds of laughter. Good work.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 pm 

A couple questions I really should already know the answer to, but I’ll ask anyway: Is it possible to downsize band shirts without shrinking them? Can they be tailored for lack of a better term, and is it a process I can do myself? It’d only be from a large to a medium, or somewhat close to that, so I wouldn’t think it’d be too intensive or potentially damaging.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

kalervon wrote:
Cozy

Did you explain the joke to the lady. Was she prepared to change her inventory? Or at least change the name?

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm 

My parents adopted a kitten last week. We went to see her at the vet's office today. She's staying there due to an upper respiratory infection, but she should be better by Monday, hopefully.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 pm 

Opus wrote:
kalervon wrote:
Cozy

Did you explain the joke to the lady. Was she prepared to change her inventory? Or at least change the name?

Heheh.. no I didn't talk to anyone. These stores are all over the place now, in Canada.. I think they're from the U.S. originally.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:05 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
My parents adopted a kitten last week. We went to see her at the vet's office today. She's staying there due to an upper respiratory infection, but she should be better by Monday, hopefully.

Cute, looks like a mini version of my fella. If they gave you a set day I am sure she will be fine.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm 

One day I was on the set of the Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" movie! Ian McKellen was on a totally bare, green-screen set and suddenly began sobbing! Heartbroken over having to act alone while the rest of the actors were to be green-screened in he said "This is not why I became an actor!"

Suddenly, Peter Jackson walked up to him, his face red and eyes bulging with barely contained rage, and he screamed at the aged man, "You piece of SHIT! Who the FUCK do you think you are? Do you think anyone gives a FUCK about why you became an actor? Do you think people go to the movies to see actors? To see drama or life or human interaction? You're going to get your wrinkly old ass back on set, say your FUCKING lines like the trained monkey you are, and then we're going to give the footage to a REAL artist and add a fat fucking CG troll covered with shit and laughing in a retard voice. That's REAL cinema. Now get back to work and don't EVER question me or my movies again, old man, or you'll pay with your own blood!"

The shocked McKellen stood stunned, he opened his mouth but no words came out. He thought of all the year's he'd spent on set making movies in the days of yore, taking on roles and living imaginary adventures with friends and coworkers, he thought of the the laughs and smiles and friendships that went beyond the screen. Then he thought of the crowds he saw at the movies today; slack jawed, glassy eyed, guffawing uncontrollably at every dick and ball and fart joke, listlessly absorbing hour after hour of CG explosions and obnoxious sarcasm, and then clapping like trained seals when the lights came on.

Finally he lowered his head and quietly said, "Yes sir."

He turned back to face the empty, green, void.

"Action!" was screamed behind the broken actor.

"Hello Mr. Baggins..."

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 am 

So this is a video I just made and posted on youtube. Well, I mean there's not much to the video, just an excuse to post a 7 hour looped version of Venom's "At War With Satan." If you've heard the song you would know of course that it ends just as it began and then fades out. But what if it just kept going on forever, haha! So I hope y'all enjoy this. I wasn't sure where to share this. I figured it would get moved if I posted it in the regular metal discussion forum. But I really wanted to share it with everyone here. I know some people knock Venom for this song, but I think it's actually very well composed. Love that album just as much as Welcome to Hell and Black Metal.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm 

Howdy friends, how's it going?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:31 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Howdy friends, how's it going?

Hey what's up?

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 332  Next