Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:10 pm 

The Walking Dead season 7 on an episode-to-episode basis was a disappointment---serious pacing problems, soap opera-y conversations that lasted too long, the occasional illogical moment, a fairly dramatic shift in tone (believability*)---but it ended well, set the stage for All Out War, and frankly I cannot fathom how next season can possibly be as slow given what they just set up.

*I know it's in the comics, but having a King who speaks quasi-Shakespearean as a major character really kills my ability to suspend disbelief. Also, something not in the comics: how does an entire settlement lose the ability to speak in complete sentences less than 3 years after a zombie breakout? The show was at what time a fairly plausible post-zombie breakout scenario, now it's bordering on fantasy realism.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 pm 

It was a more intelligent season than the previous one (no dumb fake-outs or cliffhangers) and it was overall stronger and more interesting than season 5. It was a bit slow paced but I don't mind that at all - excellent build-ups and tension throughout and Jeffery Dean Morgan is fantastic. Some of their best action scenes in a while too, very creative.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
*I know it's in the comics, but having a King who speaks quasi-Shakespearean as a major character really kills my ability to suspend disbelief. Also, something not in the comics: how does an entire settlement lose the ability to speak in complete sentences less than 3 years after a zombie breakout? The show was at what time a fairly plausible post-zombie breakout scenario, now it's bordering on fantasy realism.
This. Every time he speaks I feel like I'm watching Bad Lip Reading. Totally non-believable that anybody would take him seriously, Tiger or no Tiger. Added to this the upupup people are fucking hilarious Star Trek characters.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am 

Black Sails finished. Fantastic. Excellent. Great series overall. One of those that got better and better with each season. 4 seasons to tell the story fully and completely, minimal filler, great characters.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

Wuuuut :lol:

So glad I stopped watching that tripe, haha

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 am 

Taboo is the best thing I've seen on TV for a while.. great stuff, recommended without reservation.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Wuuuut :lol:

So glad I stopped watching that tripe, haha

At least they give an explanation for the whole king thing and Ezekiel's speech patterns at the end of the episode he first appears in, as well as all of the characters meeting him for the first time being understandably bemused. But the pretentious landfill people (someone online called them Heapsters, which is fine by me) are by all appearances meant to actually be some kind of post-apocalyptic tribal weirdos barely able to speak (or intentionally cryptic) because... a whole three years have passed and that's what happens when civilisation breaks down? Makes no sense. Every single appearance of them really annoyed me, not least because of the fact that unlike with King Ezekiel nobody of the characters ever seemed to point out how ridiculous the whole thing was. They're evidently meant to be another interesting and cool oddity you simply have to expect in the zombified world, but it's just silly.

The finale was eh, I thought the final fight was quite badly done/shot/choreographed/whatever.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

Oh I understand that Ezekiel speaks that way because he's a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude, but it still takes me out of the zone too easily on a frequent basis. It distracts me that his speech rhythm doesn't distract the other characters. Honestly, what I would love for his character---and the best way to make him believable---is to see him fail his people in some way that forces him to admit he is faking it. Then he redeems himself as their leader in some other fashion. Otherwise, I'm going to have a hard time thinking of him as anything other than...well, than the theater actor with a pet tiger who talks in Shakespearean diction within a world that was a believable zombie apocalypse for six seasons plus one episode. He's fun to watch, I like his interactions with other characters, and the guy who plays him does a good job, but his introduction was also the moment I stopped suspending disbelief.

The garbage pail people are totally unforgivable, of course. No redeeming qualities, just stupid upon a trash heap of more stupid.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 pm 

The pilot to Into the Badlands was pretty decent. Some nice, violent martial art action. The fight scenes were a nice spectacle and Daniel Wu seems like a compentent enough lead as Sonny. I doubt this show is gonna have a lot of depth, but it'll make for good stoned, popcorn eating televison (with friends!) like how I treat The 100. I really don't know what to think of this baron character yet, but I'm sure the wheels will turn just fine.

I've been putting off watching Vikings tbh, season 3 while fun felt bloated. I don't think I can do 20 episodes just to catch up anytime soon. Season 2 still seems like the best the show had to offer.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:20 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Taboo is the best thing I've seen on TV for a while.. great stuff, recommended without reservation.

It's from Steven Knight, what the hell else did you expect?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Thatkellygirl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
The pilot to Into the Badlands was pretty decent. Some nice, violent martial art action. The fight scenes were a nice spectacle and Daniel Wu seems like a compentent enough lead as Sonny. I doubt this show is gonna have a lot of depth, but it'll make for good stoned, popcorn eating televison (with friends!) like how I treat The 100. I really don't know what to think of this baron character yet, but I'm sure the wheels will turn just fine.

I've been putting off watching Vikings tbh, season 3 while fun felt bloated. I don't think I can do 20 episodes just to catch up anytime soon. Season 2 still seems like the best the show had to offer.

I thought it was good, but not great. The fight choreography was worth watching for me, after being disapointed by Iron Fist. Felt like a less complicated Game of Thrones, with martial arts. Looking forward to the next season.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 am 

I'm stuck at home sick this week, and tried to watch Iron Fist. More like stare at the screen while mediocre stuff happens. Snore.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:04 am 

Prison Break. First season great, second good, then it turned to shit and then to laughable shit.

Saw the first episode of the reprised series: we are firmly in the area between season 3 and 4.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:19 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
chaossphere wrote:

It's from Steven Knight, what the hell else did you expect?

I've heard really mixed things. So it's worth checking out?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 pm 

24, Into The Badlands, Rick and Morty, and Archer got the bad taste of the TWD finale out of my mouth. Luckily 24 ends up being only 12 episodes, as the ratings have plunged big time.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:50 pm 

I hope the next Walking Dead season will follow the pace and style of the second half of season 7 (well, except the last episode), and I hope the creators finally understood that keeping with those filler "side stories" episodes is just really hurting the show.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 pm 

I doubt literally anything will change with the format of TWD, I bet episode 1 of season 8 is 50% flashback, 20% further plot and 30% meandering dialogue that's been said before. They'll be some opening fight sequence and some boring secondary protagonist/antagonist deaths like "Simon" and "Dwight", just before shit gets real it'll cut to some third tier character nobody cares about so we can watch their broken-record redundant arc over the next three episodes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 am 

Eh, they're doing fine.

New Better Call Saul is brilliant. A delight as always. My favorite show on TV right now.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:49 pm 

Oh dang I didn't know BCS was back! Woohoo!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm 

wish I'd done a rewatch marathon of Black Sails. kinda didn't follow much of season 4.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 pm 

Atlanta has been a good watch. Although I must admit the shift into a 'show about nothing' style took a few episodes to settle as I expected a Breaking Bad type of crime/drama initially based off the first two episodes. It's genuinely funny, and I don't ascribe to the pretentious notion it's "not meant to be funny" and that it's just "pointing out racism/homophobia". What a load of pretentious shit. Like saying saying Seinfeld is not funny, it's just "pointing out multiculturalism". Good laughs here, brilliant awkward comedy.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 pm 

Yeah Atlanta is solid. I don't think I finished the season actually, need to go back and do that. I'm not always a fan of whatshisface, like his hip-hop and standup are eh to me, but he's not a bad actor and apparently he's got some other creative chops!

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:37 pm 

Still putting off Iron Fist. Hardly a priority.

The finale of season 2 of The Fall was fucking insane. Gillian Anderson is so good in this, such a strong lead. The fucker that plays Paul Spectre is nuts too. So much depth, could go on and on. Paul's twisted view of women is so disgusting and that dingus Jimmy is just a huge, wifebeating fuck. Just reprehensible pieces of shit everywhere. Eye opening stuff, I love when Stella puts someone in their place. Me and the old man have been watching this so season 3 will be fun for the next couple weeks.

Spoiler: show
The way he confessed about the killings to Stella was chilling. His unblinking dilated pupils disturbed me. I felt so bad for Sally Ann and the fact he brainwashed a teenage girl was gross too. The serial killer in this show seems so real. Way better than anything like Dexter.

New BCS is great news. The show doesn't even feel like a spin-off, I feel for how hard Jimmy tries to be clean, sometimes it is tempting to cut corners for easy cash. Mike's origin story is cool as shit too.

New episode of Rick and Morty was hilarious but that is to be expected. The episode itself however, was not. I have to get on the new Archer.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 pm 

You're The Worst is way way way better than Atlanta. Watch that instead!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:44 am 

Picked Archer back up. Binged season 6, which I know I watched but didn't remember, and started up season 7 last night. It's ridiculous how fluid the animation gets during certain scenes, almost as ridiculous as how fantastic Pam Poovey is.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 pm 

Season 7 of Archer is their best since season 4 (even though I enjoyed 5 and 6). I hope you like it as much as I did!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 am 

Has anyone seen "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix? It turned out to be a very impactful series with great acting by the kids, specially the 2 main leads. Highly recommended.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 am 

My sister watched all of it and I caught about 15-20 minutes of it. Dunno if it's for me but it seemed way more mature than I imagined it to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am 

Yeah I've been hooked on it. Definitely not just some teen show - it's important for young people to watch for sure, and has themes that will resonate most strongly with them. But it's a super well made, very well written show and has a lot of tension, drama and mystery that elevate it above just some teenagers' show. I think it's actively fucking creepy as hell while also being very sad, very morose with its themes of loss and outsider-dom at that age.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm 

I haven't seen it but I've seen memes of it on social media making fun of it in a first world problems sense.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

Those memes are pretty dumb then. People who make those seem to want every show to be about impoverished Syrian children with bombs falling everywhere, some shit like that.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Season 7 of Archer is their best since season 4 (even though I enjoyed 5 and 6). I hope you like it as much as I did!

I agree with that. At the same time, I feel like they're reaching the limits of what can be done with the characters. They're starting to show serious signs of Flanderization, and we're not really seeing much more depth than before. Maayyyybe in that one episode dealing with Archer's childhood bullies, and that was pretty much it. 7 was still a very good season for sure, but I'm skeptical that they'll be able to keep it fresh - then again, the next season is apparently one long dream sequence, so maybe that's exactly the shot in the arm the series needs.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I agree with that. At the same time, I feel like they're reaching the limits of what can be done with the characters. They're starting to show serious signs of Flanderization, and we're not really seeing much more depth than before. Maayyyybe in that one episode dealing with Archer's childhood bullies, and that was pretty much it. 7 was still a very good season for sure, but I'm skeptical that they'll be able to keep it fresh - then again, the next season is apparently one long dream sequence, so maybe that's exactly the shot in the arm the series needs.

I'm keen for season 8, but I was hoping it would carry on from season 7, and not go into the 1940's. Then again, I'm not going to judge too harshly until I see it. :) I hope you're wrong about not showing depth, as I still think each character has something to offer, but we'll see.

They're stopping Archer after season 10, anyway. There's a lot of loose ends to cover, which I hope are done.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 am 

chaossphere wrote:

Seconded, I loved pretty much everything about it. Great cast (Pryce! Hollander!!) and a lot going on, very dense experience, but not so much as to be confusing. Wonderful look and style.

Also, Tom Hardy does some superb grunt performances in it.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 am 

Sat down and watched a couple episodes of 13 Reasons Why. Lived up to the expectations. Anyone who thinks the show is bad because of "first world problems" is fuckin stupid. i never expected the maturity and depth this has. Don't assume it's teeny bopper degrassi type stuff, much more to it than that.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 am 

Finished 24 Legacy last night. Overall, I really liked it. If it wouldve ended with
Spoiler: show
something of Jack Bauer
, I wouldve freaked out.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 am 

I've been mostly happy with the MST3K reboot. So far I've found one of the movies too boring to watch, even with the riffing, but that was true back in the day as well (I never could watch Manos, regardless of how much everyone else loved that ep.) I'm not in love with Jonah, though he's grown on me; the rap/song he did was endearing. The cultural references are more accessible overall, and also plenty from recently, though they've slipped some obscure ones and easter eggs in as well (like quoting the line "This is where the fish lives" from the awesome Mike ep. The Touch of Satan).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am 

13 Reasons Why weirds me out a bit. I saw an interesting criticism of it from a good friend of mine who actually went through several bouts of suicidal depression:

Quote:
People can 100% contribute to suicide, but it isn't those 13 people's fault she offed herself. It's hers. I'm saying this as a person who has been suicidal numerous times. Shifting the blame makes it more about bullying than mental illness, and any suicide story about anything other than mental illness as the MAIN plot point is fucked to me.

Regardless of what people think, the show 100% glamorizes suicide. It shows that if you kill yourself, the people that were awful to you will feel bad not just momentarily, but forever. And the final suicide scene isn't only triggering, it's sexy as hell to a suicidal person. It's hard to explain but being extra "gritty" doesn't deter people from killing themselves. Myself, in another time in my life, would have seen that and gotten a contact high off of it, giddy even. Is that fucked? Yes, but so is mental illness. That's dangerous stuff to play with and has been shown scientifically to be not a toy or a fucking YA plot tool. Sincerely, a formerly suicidal girl who loves the shit out of YA novels.

If you want a really good exploration to depression in young adults, read 'It's Kind of a Funny Story.' That story examines it, in my mind, with a lot more authenticity.

(edited a bunch because I kept fucking up the quote tags.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am 

Erdrickgr wrote:
I've been mostly happy with the MST3K reboot. So far I've found one of the movies too boring to watch, even with the riffing, but that was true back in the day as well (I never could watch Manos, regardless of how much everyone else loved that ep.) I'm not in love with Jonah, though he's grown on me; the rap/song he did was endearing. The cultural references are more accessible overall, and also plenty from recently, though they've slipped some obscure ones and easter eggs in as well (like quoting the line "This is where the fish lives" from the awesome Mike ep. The Touch of Satan).

Yeah, I like it. I'm not very far into it (I'm on the Hasslehoff Star Wars rip one) but so far, so good. First episode was pretty good but admittedly had me worried due to the volume of relentless riffs. Just felt like it was joke after joke after joke with no breathing room in between and didn't yield any time to allow the jokes to land. That said, I figured they were going to come out all guns blazing. It definitely evened itself out.

The voices are a bit too samey. I like Jonah but I'm not sure how I feel about Servo or Crow. Servo kinda sounds bored, Crow kinda sounds a little cartoonish for me. I'm a big fan of Bill Corbett's wit venom. I know it's probably anathema to prefer Bill over Trace but, I just do. I can adapt, though. If the jokes are good then that's that, and they are.

Biggest gripe are actually probably the opening credits. It's just way too damn flashy. I'm used to the Devoesque theme and the cheap but effective set designs. Having an entire band and all this sorta glitz and glamour doesn't really fit in with the lifeblood of MST3K and man, I do not like the guy they have singing the song but, that's just a cosmetic thing. Doesn't really matter in the long run.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
13 Reasons Why weirds me out a bit. I saw an interesting criticism of it from a good friend of mine who actually went through several bouts of suicidal depression:

Quote:
People can 100% contribute to suicide, but it isn't those 13 people's fault she offed herself. It's hers. I'm saying this as a person who has been suicidal numerous times. Shifting the blame makes it more about bullying than mental illness, and any suicide story about anything other than mental illness as the MAIN plot point is fucked to me.

Regardless of what people think, the show 100% glamorizes suicide. It shows that if you kill yourself, the people that were awful to you will feel bad not just momentarily, but forever. And the final suicide scene isn't only triggering, it's sexy as hell to a suicidal person. It's hard to explain but being extra "gritty" doesn't deter people from killing themselves. Myself, in another time in my life, would have seen that and gotten a contact high off of it, giddy even. Is that fucked? Yes, but so is mental illness. That's dangerous stuff to play with and has been shown scientifically to be not a toy or a fucking YA plot tool. Sincerely, a formerly suicidal girl who loves the shit out of YA novels.

If you want a really good exploration to depression in young adults, read 'It's Kind of a Funny Story.' That story examines it, in my mind, with a lot more authenticity.

(edited a bunch because I kept fucking up the quote tags.

I've seen this kind of criticism a lot and I get it, but I'm not sure who in the show feels bad forever because of her making those tapes... the bulk of it is sort of a weird thriller type deal where they're trying to cover things up to save their own asses. A lot of them don't show that much remorse and the ones that do were already decent people before the tapes.

It is not really a show for people who are that close to suicide though. I can see why they have problems with it, but it's a show about bullying really just as much as suicide - maybe moreso. And of course it isn't their fault she killed herself, but that's because it's an unreliable narrator story about melodramatic teenagers. That is just what it is.

Otherwise, Better Call Saul's recent episode had a wild ending to it, and I am looking forward to Fargo - apparently the first ep of the new season aired last night. Gonna check it out later.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 182  Next